• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal hacked, PPSSPP emulator shown running natively

Hugare

This could easily become the best handheld retro/emulator machine ever made.
Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

How so?

Neat to see, but the hardware on this thing is probably terrible for native emulation

But its cool on a "Doom running on a fridge" kind of way

GHG

Dualsense controller?

That's only really relevant for games that support it though, which are predominantly PS5 and some more recent PC games.

For everything else, having more powerful hardware along with an OS that you can work with is more important for emulation and staying on top of things as they get updated.

Last edited:

Hugare

If the mod community can figure out how to allow the Portal to stream via Moonlight/Geforce Now/Xbox Cloud Gaming/etc.. as well as offer some native emulation, this device becomes a whole lot more interesting.
Not really

For the price you could have way better devices that are focused on emulation, like the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro, that would offer way better performance, battery life, software compatibility etc.

$100 more and you would be on Steam Deck / Odin 2 territory. They would blow this thing out of the water.

Its just cool for the novelty of hacking it. But it's kinda worthless.

tommib

That's only really relevant for games that support it though, which are predominantly PS5 and some more recent PC games.
Sure, but even without the enhancements it’s still one hell of bargain to get a handheld with a 1:1 PS5 controller - at least for people like me who think it’s the most comfortable controller around.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Not really

For the price you could have way better devices that are focused on emulation, like the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro, that would offer way better performance, battery life, software compatibility etc.

$100 more and you would be on Steam Deck / Odin 2 territory. They would blow this thing out of the water.

Its just cool for the novelty of hacking it. But it's kinda worthless.

Sure, but if this was opened up to all streaming platforms, it'd probably be the most attractive streaming handheld on the market over the current champ, the Logitech G Cloud.

As is, it's an extremely limited device with literally one usecase (and is still somehow selling well?).

Agent X

This will end up being closer to what they should have launched this device as.

There's no reason why it shouldn't be able to play PS1, PS2 and PSP games natively via an emulator.

I agree with both of you.

Perhaps the publicity of this development will light a fire under Sony's rear end, and inspire them to truly "unlock" the full potential of this device.

MarkMe2525

I doubt this unfortunately.

Edit: I should specify why and that is because of the internal components. The components do their current asked tasks wonderfully, but storing psp games and running at close to good performance will be an issue. It probably would do a good job up to ps1, but then file size becomes an issue.

Last edited:

Hugare

Sure, but if this was opened up to all streaming platforms, it'd probably be the most attractive streaming handheld on the market over the current champ, the Logitech G Cloud.

As is, it's an extremely limited device with literally one usecase (and is still somehow selling well?).
That's the power of the PS brand, my guy. Not indicative of the product's quality.

As I've mentioned, Retroid Pocket 4 Pro can run up to PS2/GC natively, in a pocket format, with good battery life and better internal storage for the same price. Plus it can run all the streaming platforms available.

Paying $200 for a device that can just do streaming is nuts, imo (or emulation of old devices only). You have way better devices for way less.

ReyBrujo

I don't get it, it's like jailbreaking an iPhone just to make it do the things you want Android does out of the box. Just get a steam deck and save yourself the headache.

For hackers it's not about running games there but the thrill of understanding how something works and outsmarting hundreds to thousands of engineers making it do things they didn't expect it to do.
For players, yeah, get a Steam deck.

willothedog

incoming firmware update imminent to block whatever backdoor they found, unless it is inherent to the hardware like the first gen of Switch.

I mean this is cool but most other handhelds in the price range already do this and with better specs, so I guess it's just for those who already have one and are not going to use it for it's intended purpose??

radewagon

As cool as this is, I don't see the advantage over a device like the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro or the upcoming Anbernic RG556 (which will have an AMOLED screen). And those are just the new hotness. Emulation handhelds have been kind of amazing for a while now. You just have to make sure you get one of the good models since there's an avalanche of releases out there.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
As cool as this is, I don't see the advantage over a device like the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro or the upcoming Anbernic RG556 (which will have an AMOLED screen). And those are just the new hotness. Emulation handhelds have been kind of amazing for a while now. You just have to make sure you get one of the good models since there's an avalanche of releases out there.

The advantage is a much larger screen & built in Dualsense.

But yeah, still a limited appeal unless you just want a dedicated streaming device.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PPSSPP is considered pretty lightweight these days. It's somewhere in between PS1 and PS2. The cutting-edge stuff is Switch and PS3. If you're into emulation on a bigger system get a Deck. If you want it on the go get something from Retroid or Anbernic.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It'll be so funny if people buy this thing en masse just as a retro machine. PSP 2!

ReBurn

Gold Member
It'll be so funny if people buy this thing en masse just as a retro machine. PSP 2!
Sony would have to make some available for purchase to be able to sell it en masse. I'm still waiting on PlayStation Direct to have them in stock.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess it's neat for existing owners to get some use out of it but yeah, not something to get for this use at all.
What is the processor behind this device ? If it's lower than the ps mini then kinda pointless
Snapdragon 680 or something like that, pretty crummy, would probably be better off getting a controller shell or whatever for your phone, easier to install the emulators and stuff on it too.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

It’s about as useful as the hacked Mario and Zelda Game & Watch systems. Sure it could do most of the really old systems but good luck fitting anything PlayStation related without taking it apart and somehow giving it more space.

Beechos

Sony would have to make some available for purchase to be able to sell it en masse. I'm still waiting on PlayStation Direct to have them in stock.
Ps direct had em avail for like a whole day couple of days ago. Maybe the shortage might be coming to and end.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ps direct had em avail for like a whole day couple of days ago. Maybe the shortage might be coming to and end.
I hope so. I had to return the one I bought at launch because it was damaged in shipping and I don't want it bad enough to pay the $50 eBay markup.

Top Bottom