• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation remote play is an underrated feature

Banjo64

cumsessed
So, today I was lucky enough to get my hands on a PS4 after not owning one for 5 or 6 months. (Actually prompted by the achievement/trophy hunter thread on here)

In the past I’ve used remote play on an OLED Vita, but found it really spotty due to the Vita’s terrible wifi.

Just before I sold my PS4 Pro, I platted Spider-Man using remote play on my Windows Laptop. The experience was much, much better with basically no loss of connection, and I could use my DualShock.

My laptop screen is currently fucked, and the PS4 I bought today has a knackered controller. But, there’s an IOS remote play app, and I have both an 8bitdo SF30 and an 8bitdo Pro Plus lying around.

One quick YouTube video later and here I am;

A8lM3Hs.jpg

This feature is perfect for trophy hunters who play single player games (no From games though, but great for Sony first party).

If you have to balance family life with gaming, having this feature is an absolute life saver.

Just make sure you have decent fibre broadband and connect your PS4 via Ethernet.

Just wanted to toot its horn, as I barely see it praised.

Mikey Jr.

I'd love to get a controller that snaps into the phone. So its an all in one.

Anyone have recommendations? I have an s20.

And not the controller that has the phone at the top. I find those to be too top heavy and annoying.

I like the ones that snap in on the side. Any good ones?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'd love to get a controller that snaps into the phone. So its an all in one.

Anyone have recommendations? I have an s20.

And not the controller that has the phone at the top. I find those to be too top heavy and annoying.

I like the ones that snap in on the side. Any good ones?
Razer Kishi probably, only solution I know. I own it, also with S20, no problem for GamePass games.

Mikey Jr.

Trying this out on the ps5.

Apparently the dual sense isn't supported for mobile........

Good fucking job lol.

I don't even have a ds4 anymore.

e&e

Banned
Hmm...I’m going to try connecting my PS4 to Ethernet then but I tried on my Series S connected to Ethernet and it was still spotty on my 300MB internet speed...

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, just tried on my ps5.

PS5 is wired, and my phone is on 5g.

Like the image quality is good, but using the touch screen controls, I notice input delay. Enough for me not to want to use remote play.

Not sure if thats something the controller can fix, or what the hell is going on?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's a cool novelty, but too clunky to set up and get working and the input lag was always super noticeable no matter how I tried it. Enough for me to prefer doing something else.

The Shepard

If Sony released a dedicated playstation streaming device with WiFi 6 I'd buy it in an instant. Hooking it up to my phone + pad is a chore. I used to play on the vita remote play loads till I got a switch, now I'd prefer something bigger and more comfy with a higher res screen and buttons, analog sticks.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Trying this out on the ps5.

Apparently the dual sense isn't supported for mobile........

Good fucking job lol.

I don't even have a ds4 anymore.
I made a thread about this and got shit on my everyone saying I was wrong lol.

So many Sony pony's who dont even have a ps5 don't realise the console is an absolute mess.

Remote play on my series x works fine but Stadia is the best (GFN is second best).

skit_data

I played through half of Dark Souls 2 SotFS via remoteplay because my SO couldnt sleep when the TV was on. I strongly advice against doing that. A lot of other games work great though!

Remote play is great with a Vita, still use it occasionally when I have a JRPG to review and can get some extra time in at work just streaming from the PS4.

Share Play is more underrated tho, being able to do split screen coop etc with my nephew on just a single copy of the game is a neat feature.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony’s mindset is core, AAA big screen gaming first but they know Switch has the mobile screen thing and remote play mostly feels like a circus feature thrown in to combat that.

k1m1d4n

I also use this a lot.
I use a tablet with the remote play app connected to my primary account then I connect the dual sense to my secondary account (the one I use for gaming). This way I can play in the living room sitting on the floor while the baby watches tv.

Mikey Jr.

I also use this a lot.
I use a tablet with the remote play app connected to my primary account then I connect the dual sense to my secondary account (the one I use for gaming). This way I can play in the living room sitting on the floor while the baby watches tv.

So wait, can you use the dual sense for remote play or no?

Does the PS4 remote play still limit to PS4 controllers only or can I use any generic controller. I have one of those cheap controllers that clips to the sides of my phone.

onesvenus

Is there any difference between this and the Xbox remote play?
I never tried it on my PS4 but as someone else said, it's amazing when your TV is not available. I use to play a couple of PES matches from my bed before going to sleep

theHFIC

I had no idea there was a way to get the 8BitDo SN30 Pro working with PlayStation Remote Play on iOS without a jailbreak (and SteamLink too). Sent me down a very informative rabbit hole today and I may pick one up since traveling with a PS4 controller can be a pain.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is there any difference between this and the Xbox remote play?
I never tried it on my PS4 but as someone else said, it's amazing when your TV is not available. I use to play a couple of PES matches from my bed before going to sleep

So you are European, probably from the UK. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I had no idea there was a way to get the 8BitDo SN30 Pro working with PlayStation Remote Play on iOS without a jailbreak (and SteamLink too). Sent me down a very informative rabbit hole today and I may pick one up since traveling with a PS4 controller can be a pain.
This 8bitdo hard case is sub £10 online and fits it beautifully. Makes it perfect to just toss in a bag/pocket and know it’s safe.

61%2BdFTlUjZL.jpg

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Remote play with PS4 was mostly unplayable for me, but with PS5 it actually works really well. I'm impressed so far.

Nester99

I cant get it to work on my PS5 but my XSX is flawless even when wireless.

I have a Razor Kishi which i just got and can not recommend enough (if only i could get the ps5 to work with it)

I heard you need a DS4 for PS5 RC to work but this thread seems to indicate otherwise. I sold my Ps4 and dont want to buy a DS4 with the RK now in my hand.

Is anyone using a Razor Kishi and Iphone 12 with PS5 and it works?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some people have some awesome upload speeds for remote play. I have a decent connection. I can typically fight a boss or grind some levels on my iPhone. A pop socket is a must have. I just use my DS4. Lately I’ve used the PS4-to-PS5 remote play. It works very well. That’s if you’ve kept your PS4. I use to do a lot more Remote Play on my Vita. I tend to play my Vita and just my phone for PS4/5 Remote Play. Getting the Plus size iPhone really helped. I like using my Air Pods because they add a lot more to the experience.
Over the past holidays I managed to win a match of Warzone and beat Flamelurker while 200 miles away from my PS5, so I can't really disagree.
I’ve been wanting to try that, but my internet speed only allows the connection to work while I’m at home. Did you have any drops in your connection?

Last edited:

Hustler

I use remote play on my desktop at home, with my PS5 in the living room (hardwired connection). Most of the time it works flawlessly and I can use the dual sense hardwired as well. Great for breaks in my work day and boring meetings :)

Tschumi

I've never tried it because I'm not sure the payoff of playing on a tiny vita screen in another room is worth the geek penalty with my beloved loll

buenoblue

I've tried it on a few different devices and the picture and lag is subpar. I guess I've solved this problem by having 3 tvs, a projector and monitor lol. It's just me and the wife aswell. X

I’ve been wanting to try that, but my internet speed only allows the connection to work while I’m at home. Did you have any drops in your connection?
I have FIOS gigabit at my apartment, so admittingly that is probably a large contributor to how well it played, but I had basically zero drops. The first time I tried over Thanksgiving I used my parents PC which was connected wifi, and that definitely added extra latency and the bitrate sometimes was not great. However over Christmas I simply brought my PS4, connected ethernet, and used the PS5 remote play app and Demon's Souls played amazing - it was kinda weird how quickly I adjusted to the minimal amount of lag that was present. I may have been a bitch ass glass cannon royalty mage, but the Flamelurker fight still requires a ton of dodging that I was able to pull off pretty easily (and I'm not even that good at these games).

Would I want to play like this every day? Hell no. It is 100x better of a solution than renting an 18 wheeler to transport my PS5 to my parents house for a week? Hell yes.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It's a cool feature for sure. I've only used it a couple of times to try it out, but it's a neat thing to have available.

On IOS I am using an 8bitdo pad as pictured in the OP
I'm on Android using a extendable controller. I haven't tried an 8BitDo controller even though I have a few. I haven't had any luck with the extendable for remote play even though it works with everything else on my phone.

k1m1d4n

So wait, can you use the dual sense for remote play or no
The way I use it, yes.
I just use the tablet as second the screen, because the main tv is occupied.
I am also in the same division as the console so I don't know how far it works from.

Remote play is underrated and underused in general, be it Playstation or Steam. A lot of people just don't think in the right terms to use it, and/or don't like to leave their power-hungry processing devices constantly running at home for remote play to be useful.

I used to play gta online with laptop / vita from my Cabin 120km away from home, with 3G hotspot from phone. (25/5 speed 3G + 100/10 cable at home)

Worked good enough, some connection losts + input lag, but still playable

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly you use remote play feature to play with your own console on a tiny screen instead of big tv in your own house? :messenger_confounded:

If you used it when visiting a friend i nanother city who doesn't have a console and it worked flawlessly with minimal lag, then I might understand.

Top Bottom