• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation should learn from Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Neff

People still love GOW and Horizon and Uncharted, you're just cutting off people who freeload at the bottom prices, it will make it clear...either buy now or lose out till next year or whenever.

It's a nice idea from a business perspective, if not a consumer one. The key difference though is that sales happen on PlayStation and Xbox months after launch because games lose traction quickly. They're essentially treated like movies- they're a shared 'event', and once they're experienced, talked about and processed, they fade.

Nintendo games do not.

Bryank75

Banned
It's a nice idea from a business perspective, if not a consumer one. The key difference though is that sales happen on PlayStation and Xbox months after launch because games lose traction quickly. They're essentially treated like movies- they're a shared 'event', and once they're experienced, talked about and processed, they fade.

Nintendo games do not.
Exactly, now at least one of you understands.

This would change the game into an annual event, every year PlayStation sells about 18-20 million units, so the following years it would be aimed at people who missed the first release or are new to the ecosystem.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

This would change the game into an annual event, every year PlayStation sells about 18-20 million units, so the following years it would be aimed at people who missed the first release or are new to the ecosystem.
Why not. They could also make each re-release more expensive than the last one, to give more "urgency" feeling at the initial release.

The thing is, those kind of practices suck for the consumer. And as a consumer, how do you think this would benefit you?

Bryank75

Banned
Why not. They could also make each re-release more expensive than the last one, to give more "urgency" feeling at the initial release.

The thing is, those kind of practices suck for the consumer. And as a consumer, how do you think this would benefit you?
Well, they could try it with one IP and see how it goes. I wouldn't go more expensive but maybe gradually less.... it's just that I think the 80 euro basic price is too much and I think this would be a better option. IMO

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Well, they could try it with one IP and see how it goes. I wouldn't go more expensive but maybe gradually less.... it's just that I think the 80 euro basic price is too much and I think this would be a better option. IMO
A new IP? On 2020? What are you smoking? :p

The could try and do the experiment, but unless it has Mario on the civer, I don't think it'll work out.

And yeah, at least we agree that everything would be better than that 80€ price tag.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I kinda agree op, because then the PlayStation section probably wouldn't look like this:
IMG-20200827-113719.jpg

Would it work the same way for Sony?

It's Mario we are talking about, and it would sell a shit ton of units with or without a limited release.

You make it sound like the same rule doesn't apply for Sony.

Last edited:

Neff

But I think you're misunderstanding. PlayStation and Xbox games do have a problem with perceived long-term value, or at least fail to enjoy the publicly acknowledged long-term value of Nintendo games, but throwing games in jail isn't a practical solution. PSN/Xbox sales are caused by inevitable post-launch lack of interest and patient impulse purchase dodgers. Removing options for skinflint opportunists (and we've all done it) isn't going to change that.

Vawn

Banned
Activision are the ones who need to learn. We don't want full graphical remakes! We demand ports done as cheaply as possible. Emulation is best, if possible.

And GTFO out of here with this $39.99 for a trilogy remake. If it isn't $60, it isn't worth our time.

Bryank75

Banned
Mario and Zelda are iconic video game franchises. God of War is just a pretty action game with a fraction of the appeal. Wouldn’t work.
I don't think that is right, maybe you don't like it but GOW and Kratos is still very iconic and one of the most popular original creations.

I was a nintendo fan since the Nes and I love Mario and Zelda but that doesn't mean that GOW isn't a transcendent brand that many people outside gaming recognize.

It just has an older demographic that it is aimed at...

My kid for instance has access to all my games and he has all the mario and zelda games too..... his favorite games are Shadow of the Colossus and Bloodborne. He still told me that he loved Mario Galaxy today.

The limited release of Super Mario All Stars has resulted in it outselling Avengers in physical copies and already becoming the 3rd best selling game of the year.

By making the game a limited release, they have caused a wave of sudden and intense interest in the games, people are buying for the top asking price and not waiting for heavy discounts or sales and they have increased the value and perceived importance of the brand. Making it a must buy for the limited time.

I believe Sony should follow suit and do the same with GOW Ragnarok and all their top exclusives... release them for just a month to 2 months maximum at full price with a slight discount before it is removed from sales. Then it would return every year or two years on the same date to cause a surge in interest and sell at full or near full price again, this would cause people to stream the game again, the re-releases could come with updates such as NG+, new gear for beating the game, a boss battle survival mode etc.

As Microsoft and Xbox are reducing the value of their games, I believe this is the best way to increase the value and desirability of these high production AAA games.

I also believe the initial asking price for the base game should be lowered back to 60 in both Europe and North America but digital deluxe could be made more enticing to attract more customers to that price-point.

SSTZa0M.gif

TheAssist

Ahhhw you lost you job during a pandemic? Money is tight? You need to support your family? You cant focus on gaming right now because of some real life shit. You would really like to buy some games that remind you of your childhood later down the line as a reward when this shit is all over?

Well get fucked boi.

Bryank75

Banned
Ahhhw you lost you job during a pandemic? Money is tight? You need to support your family? You cant focus on gaming right now because of some real life shit. You would really like to buy some games that remind you of your childhood later down the line as a reward when this shit is all over?

Well get fucked boi.
Things cost money, news at 11.

Sleepwalker

I don't think that is right, maybe you don't like it but GOW and Kratos is still very iconic and one of the most popular original creations.

I was a nintendo fan since the Nes and I love Mario and Zelda but that doesn't mean that GOW isn't a transcendent brand that many people outside gaming recognize.

My kid for instance has access to all my games and he has all the mario and zelda games too..... his favorite games are Shadow of the Colossus and Bloodborne. He still told me that he loved Mario Galaxy today.

As a franchise, Mario is bigger than the entire PlayStation brand. Kratos is not even remotely comparable.

While making moves like limited editions in a certain ammount (which would lead to the question when it is still limited, but that´s for another debate) can make sense, it would not by limiting the general availability. Nintendo can get away with it for the 3D All stars collection, but that is a brand for itself which is stronger than maybe anything else in gaming. So limited editions would make sense but this is happening anyway with almost every major title. A broader approach of this strategy would lead to nothing.

But (there is always a but), the ideas behind moves like limited editions, approaching the given subject (which is gaming in this case) as a lifestyle is something that Sony is obviously applying already. The pre-orders went down as Kind of shock drops, a very "tight" (to use an euphemism) communication with the consumer, scarcity, strong emphasis on influencer/celeb personas within the relase strategy (travis scott, geoff k.), etc. all of this reads like the how to create a hypebeast (and i mean that explicitly WITHOUT the negative connotation the word has meanwhile) lifestyle brand 101, which every second fashion and music label tries to do.

This approach makes even somewhat sense, given sonys history as a general manufacturer/provider of consumer electronics and helps to position the brand against competition that has either its service (xbox) or its nostalgia and general brand loyalty going for it (nintendo). And as of now it seems to work, because demand for a next gen machine is pretty damn high.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Nintendo have sold as much hardware and still make proper consoles if any of that were true?

The Nintendo Switch is earlier in its life than PS4. It sold 50m consoles faster than the PS4. Also, what are software attach rates for the Switch vs the PS4? Nintendo 1st party games still sell at full retail years after release vs PlayStation titles regularly dropping down to $20 fairly quickly. I know you like riding Sony hard and taking potshots at the competition, but just accept that sometimes people like the competition’s offerings or moves better.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The Nintendo Switch is earlier in its life than PS4. It sold 50m consoles faster than the PS4. Also, what are software attach rates for the Switch vs the PS4? Nintendo 1st party games still sell at full retail years after release vs PlayStation titles regularly dropping down to $20 fairly quickly. I know you like riding Sony hard and taking potshots at the competition, but just accept that sometimes people like the competition’s offerings or moves better.
I have 3 Switches.... they are also cheaper. You can get a Switch for 200 euro.
They are also not consoles, they got clobbered so hard they decided to get out of that business.

Redlancet

Banned
nah, sony did remakes like shadow of the colossus at reduced price its a better deal,dong give a fuck about nintendo,they lost me a long time ago,got tired of the same games again and again

Last edited:
I have 3 Switches.... they are also cheaper. You can get a Switch for 200 euro.
They are also not consoles, they got clobbered so hard they decided to get out of that business.

Oh, the fallacy of saying that I have this so I can say that. Cost is irrelevant and being a hybrid console is still a console. Nice try. 😊

Ten_Fold

Don’t even think Nintendo intended for 3D all-stars to be limited other than no more print copies/digital after March 31st. Lots of companies are limited in terms of stock.

This topic is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. Sony has nothing to learn from the Mario 3D collection other than how NOT to treat your loved properties. Putting them on sale for a limited time is dumb. Bringing back old games with barely any improvements and asking $60 is greedy and pathetic as hell. Thanks but I'll take what Sony has been doing for some time and that's quality remakes/remasters at fair prices that I don't have to rush and buy if I don't want to.

Zog

Banned
Don’t even think Nintendo intended for 3D all-stars to be limited other than no more print copies/digital after March 31st. Lots of companies are limited in terms of stock.

I don't understand the bolded. You don't think Nintendo intended to be limited on this release other than how they chose to make this release limited?

Zog

Banned

So check this out, you can buy a model that does connect to your TV (it's in the red box that does not say Lite on it). You can take the controllers off (called driftcons joycons) while you play it on the TV. Also, like other consoles there is a traditional controller that you can use while playing it on the TV.

So does this new information change your opinion about whether or not the Switch is also a console?

Oh, the fallacy of saying that I have this so I can say that. Cost is irrelevant and being a hybrid console is still a console. Nice try. 😊
I think they only say that because any hardware comparison to the other consoles leaves the Switch looking bad. This is a 'put your fingers in your ears' thing.

Last edited:

Celine

That's stupid.
The limited time release will hurt Super Mario 3D All Stars overall sales but it works for this specific case because
1) it's a celebratory collection that for the relatively low efforts needed to produce it will still sell a lot and
2) it will cause the desirable side effect to create a frenzy around Mario related products that will translate in more sales for the other Mario games that aren't time constrained like the upcoming Super Mario 3D World which not coincidentally is scheduled to launch at the end of the SM3DAS availability period or the other Mario evergreens that keep selling million of units each year like the big budget Odyssey and NSMBWUDX.

You will never see from Nintendo a release of a big budget Mario game for a limited time because it doesn't make financial sense.

Last edited:

Neff

It's selling like that because it's 3 of the best games ever in a bundle with HD. Not because it's limited.

Exactly. It would still be selling like a chart-dominating motherfucker even without the 'buy it now or don't' thing. You can't just shift the same marketing strategy to a lesser IP and expect it to gain a comparable boost in sales.

Anecdotally, I was one of those who waited until God of War 2018 dropped to less than £15, and... it was alright.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars cost me £42 and it's some of the best money I've ever spent, despite already owning those games.

mr.dilya

Banned

I like GOW, but it's just not in the same galaxy (pun intended) as Mario.

Mario is a game all types of people, of all ages, can and have enjoyed for decades. GOW is just a gory action game aimed at a specific type of gamer.

Scotty W

The limited release of Super Mario All Stars has resulted in it outselling Avengers in physical copies and already becoming the 3rd best selling game of the year.

By making the game a limited release, they have caused a wave of sudden and intense interest in the games, people are buying for the top asking price and not waiting for heavy discounts or sales and they have increased the value and perceived importance of the brand. Making it a must buy for the limited time.

I believe Sony should follow suit and do the same with GOW Ragnarok and all their top exclusives... release them for just a month to 2 months maximum at full price with a slight discount before it is removed from sales. Then it would return every year or two years on the same date to cause a surge in interest and sell at full or near full price again, this would cause people to stream the game again, the re-releases could come with updates such as NG+, new gear for beating the game, a boss battle survival mode etc.

As Microsoft and Xbox are reducing the value of their games, I believe this is the best way to increase the value and desirability of these high production AAA games.

I also believe the initial asking price for the base game should be lowered back to 60 in both Europe and North America but digital deluxe could be made more enticing to attract more customers to that price-point.

You are thinking like a reasonable businessman, not like a gamer. Good.

Nintendo is in a situation where their biggest competitors are second hand sales and piracy. A move like this obviously cuts down on 2nd hand.

A cost/benefit analysis is necessary. It should also take into account the problem if alienating gamers. Neogaf is representative of only a very small portion of the gaming community. Most gamers are like infants, who live in a world where events are disconnected from one another and happen without reason.

soulbait

So trying to make PlayStation exclusives equivalent to the Disney Vault? Ha! This is dumb! Approach might have worked backed in the physical only days, but people these days expect things to always be available (which is why Disney now does not do it with Disney+). Also, with every re-release with Disney, they would improve the movie some how, with either a new remaster, newer format, or new special features. I am not seeing that happen with video games.

This is a dumb idea, and the only entity it would benefit, if it benefited any at all, would be Sony. Considering I am not a corporation, not a shares owner in Sony, and just an average gamer, I do not care at all about Sony's bottom line or sales. I just want to play their games.

I see you all the time fanboying it up for Sony, but this has to be the most extreme I have seen you do it. You are actually this concerned about Sony's profits that you think they should make a false scarcity of a game to prevent sales and to keep the price high. Why? Just plain dumb.

BTW, very few are happy with what Nintendo did.

Top Bottom