• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 12/22/09 — Polar Panic (US) | LBP Water

I would be really, really surprised if we couldn't keep our PSN accounts.

use of purchases depends on if the PS4 will be backwards compatibly to the PS3 (which is probably not so easy if they ditch Cell-like CPUs and don't use hardware-BC either, PS1 classics shouldn't be a problem though)

Trophies will definitely stick to your account imo or you will at least keep your level.

edit: some more thoughts: these systems (Live as well) are build to bind the customer to the company (for even longer than one console generation), they won't do a tabula rasa.
I don't mean this in a negative way (well, not all of it... ;) )

Though what I would like to see in the future are "international" PSN accounts so you could just e.g. choose the regional store you want to visit with the same single account (and they should offer you a way to pool all of your previous accounts). Yeah, never gonna happen but I can dream.

edit:
@Shurs: Not really, as you could just deactivate the account(s) on your PS3.

I hope the PS4 will be software BC to PS1 and PS2 and (if software is not possible yet) hardware BC to PS3 and I can just use the new transfer-over-LAN-method to transfer everything onto the PS4.

StuBurns

Banned
I personally do think PS4 will be fully BC (maybe only downloadable BC for PS1/2, but the software running at least I mean).

And I think our PSN accounts will transfer over. This would be such a fuck up if they didn't. All this DLC, all these little downloadable games, they're basically promising us that. Also, they'll probably not push the hardware next time, they will hopefully use a lot of the same hardware.

netguy503

vazel said:
I don't see why not. Trophies will probably be in different system categories. And PS4 will probably be bc. PSN and Live seems to be an infrastructure that's going to carry over into future consoles. Unless they call new iterations something like PSN Advance or some shit like that.

So you really want PS3 compatibility with the PS4? REALLY!? Think about what your asking for a moment. When I've called Sony or talked to official Sony Reps about my recent YLOD problem they say two main things probably caused it: 1) Turning off your system from the back of the console and 2) my system had bc with PS2 games. Which I can understand as you are asking your console to do too many things at one and thus putting major stress on it. That's why the Slims are supposedly much better and "knock on wood" why mine is still up and running. So you want a PS4 that can support the latest PS4 game technology, a movie player that can support the latest movie technology (maybe something even more advanced than Blu-ray), and a bc option that can not only support and read all your old PS3 games but ALSO support/read all your old PSN games too!? You want another tank of a console?

If they do this I can only imagine that the YLOD and RROD will only grow in the next generation which is something I DON'T want. I'm fine with having a PS3 to play PS3 games/ PS3 PSN games and a PS4 to play that consoles games and PSN games. Combining the two will just stress out the system too much is what I'm afraid of.

vazel

Banned
netguy503 said:
So you really want PS3 compatibility with the PS4? REALLY!? Think about what your asking for a moment. When I've called Sony or talked to official Sony Reps about my recent YLOD problem they say two main things probably caused it: 1) Turning off your system from the back of the console and 2) my system had bc with PS2 games. Which I can understand as you are asking your console to do too many things at one and thus putting major stress on it. That's why the Slims are supposedly much better and "knock on wood" why mine is still up and running. So you want a PS4 that can support the latest PS4 game technology, a movie player that can support the latest movie technology (maybe something even more advanced than Blu-ray), and a bc option that can not only support and read all your old PS3 games but ALSO support/read all your old PSN games too!? You want another tank of a console?

If they do this I can only imagine that the YLOD and RROD will only grow in the next generation which is something I DON'T want. I'm fine with having a PS3 to play PS3 games/ PS3 PSN games and a PS4 to play that consoles games and PSN games. Combining the two will just stress out the system too much is what I'm afraid of.
PS3 with PS2 bc was different because they had PS2 hardware. That's extra power draw from the PSU and extra heat. If the PS4 uses a beefier Cell it won't need extra hardware just like the Wii which has no issues with bc.

netguy503

vazel said:
PS3 with PS2 bc was different because they had PS2 hardware. That's extra power draw from the PSU and extra heat. If the PS4 uses a beefier Cell it won't need extra hardware just like the Wii which has no issues with bc.

Wii's die too. I was actually watching a Justin.tv feed the other day where he was playing the new Super Mario Brothers and his Wii died.Also Wii's bc is with 8 bit and 16 bit Nintendo games. WAYYYY less complicated than a PS3 games.

Also doesn't a beefier cell= more power=more likely hood of stress and overheating. Please no bc with the PS3. Its not worth it.

HUELEN10

SolidusDave said:
I would be really, really surprised if we couldn't keep our PSN accounts.

use of purchases depends on if the PS4 will be backwards compatibly to the PS3 (which is probably not so easy if they ditch Cell-like CPUs and don't use hardware-BC either, PS1 classics shouldn't be a problem though)

Trophies will definitely stick to your account imo or you will at least keep your level.

edit: some more thoughts: these systems (Live as well) are build to bind the customer to the company (for even longer than one console generation), they won't do a tabula rasa.
I don't mean this in a negative way (well, not all of it... ;) )

Though what I would like to see in the future are "international" PSN accounts so you could just e.g. choose the regional store you want to visit with the same single account (and they should offer you a way to pool all of your previous accounts). Yeah, never gonna happen but I can dream.

edit:
@Shurs: Not really, as you could just deactivate the account(s) on your PS3.

I hope the PS4 will be software BC to PS1 and PS2 and (if software is not possible yet) hardware BC to PS3 and I can just use the new transfer-over-LAN-method to transfer everything onto the PS4.
With the PS3 being region-free though, aren't we kinda part-way there? Regardless, loved your post. Sums it up quite well!

StuBurns

Banned
netguy503 said:
Wii's die too. I was actually watching a Justin.tv feed the other day where he was playing the new Super Mario Brothers and his Wii died.

Also doesn't a beefier cell= more power=more likely hood of stress and overheating. Please no bc with the PS3. Its not worth it.
The 'power' of a console does not effect it's likelihood to break. The PS3 is far more powerful, and far more reliable than the PS2, which itself was more powerful, and more reliable than the PS1.

vazel

Banned
netguy503 said:
Wii's die too. I was actually watching a Justin.tv feed the other day where he was playing the new Super Mario Brothers and his Wii died.
Wii's dying are perfectly within the normal failure rate. Only cases of overheating I've read are due to leaving that Wii24 thing on all day.
It's going to have a beefier cell regardless because it is a next-gen console. And since it's also sure to have better memory bandwidth we'll probably see PS2 bc done by software emulation.

vazel said:

yes, but:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/12/25/ps4_cell/

(and btw most YLODs are not due to PSU breakings or hardware BC but probably the lead-free solder, otherwise the reflow repair wouldn't work and the 360 wouldn't have the rrod ;) )

vazel

Banned
SolidusDave said:
That's still a rumor. I hope they still continue using Cell. I doubt a next-gen console would be powerful enough to software emulate PS3. IIRC a future Cell architecture can still be incompatible for hardware bc but at least the chances of hardware bc for ps3 would be higher.
(and btw most YLODs are not due to PSU breakings or hardware BC but probably the lead-free solder, otherwise the reflow repair wouldn't work and the 360 wouldn't have the rrod ;) )
My PSU higher load comment wasn't due to it breaking it was due to more heat being generated from the bigger power draw. That's two things generating more heat, the ps2 hardware and higher power draw.

netguy503

I edited my last post to add why Wii might be able to do bc. Can someone read it and reply. Thanks.

But sounds like you guys really want to stress out your consoles which isn't good. If it is going to be as you describe it I'm going to wait for a PS4 slim for sure. Tell me how you guys expect the PS4 to read your old PS3 AND old PS3 PSN games though please. I'm fine if my PSN games don't carry over. I had fun with them for many years, I've enjoyed them, so it's ok if they don't transfer over. Let me ask you guys something, which would you prefer- a system you bought having a longer lif span or a PS4 with full PS3/PSN bc because Ive got to say, in talking to the official reps at Sony, I don't see ANY way that you guys are getting both.

vazel

Banned
netguy503 said:
I edited my last post to add why Wii might be able to do bc. Can someone read it and reply. Thanks.

But sounds like you guys really want to stress out your consoles which isn't good. If it is going to be as you describe it I'm going to wait for a PS4 slim for sure. Tell me how you guys expect the PS4 to read your old PS3 PSN games though please. I'm fine if my PSN games don't carry over. I had fun with them for many years, I've enjoyed them, so it's ok if they don't transfer over. Let me ask you guys something, which would you prefer- a system you bought having a longer lif span or a PS4 with full PS3/PSN bc because Ive got to say, in talking to the official reps at Sony, I don't see ANY way that you guys are getting both.
Wii has bc with GCN by same architecture hardware. Software emulating old 2D consoles is something even the Dreamcast could do with homebrew.

You still don't seem to understand the PS3 failed because of more heat(and then there was the 1st gen BD drives). Same architecture hardware bc like the Wii and PC and software bc means no extra hardware and power draw so no extra heat.

DMeisterJ

Banned
netguy503 said:
why not? You'll most likely have too and it's very easy to do. I doubt trophies/purchases/etc. are going to transfer over. Trophy whores will cry.:lol
WAT?

That makes literally no sense.

At the very least our PSN ID's will carry over, as the XBOX -> XBOX 360 transition did that... Whether or not our PSN games carry over will be dependent on whether the PS4 is built from the same hardware base as the PS3, so we can have b/c.

I'm more than certain all of our PSone classics will make it, and if PS2 DL's or b/c happens that will be in the PS4, but it would be stupid for Sony to launch the PS4 and PS4PSN without a nice log of games for new purchasers to purchase.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Not sure where to put this, but I got my gf a ps3 for xmas. PSN keeps signing her out when shes not doing anything regarding online like playing online games, downloading, or voice chatting.

Any ideas? I already disabled the search for media center.

netguy503

DMeisterJ said:
WAT?

That makes literally no sense.

At the very least our PSN ID's will carry over, as the XBOX -> XBOX 360 transition did that... Whether or not our PSN games carry over will be dependent on whether the PS4 is built from the same hardware base as the PS3, so we can have b/c.

I'm more than certain all of our PSone classics will make it, and if PS2 DL's or b/c happens that will be in the PS4, but it would be stupid for Sony to launch the PS4 and PS4PSN without a nice log of games for new purchasers to purchase.

I agree. I think our ID's will transfer over but I think everything else will be reset with the new system/new hardware coming into play. I also agree that it would be dumb to release the PS4 with no games but people will want PS4 games NOT PS3 games. People are always looking for the newest thing, newest graphics, something to showcase to them as well as their friends their new systems. Look at how many people play a brand new PSN game its second week of release compared to it's 1st (even though the game was JUST released). The userbase NOSEDIVES. So I think we will see new content over bc on PS4 launch. And that's how it should be.

vazel

Banned
Reset? So what happens when we try to play on our PS3 again and all our trophies and PSN purchases are missing. If you're thinking about different system based categories I already suggested that. PS3 categories will probably be greyed out on the PS4 or they won't show up at all. Assuming ps3 bc doesn't happen.

Wether bc helps or hurts a console's success is another argument please leave that out of this. That argument can go on for pages and pages. This is about wether or not we'll have to create a new PSN ID which you initially thought we would have to.

netguy503

vazel said:
Reset? So what happens when we try to play on our PS3 again and all our trophies and PSN purchases are missing. If you're thinking about different system based categories I already suggested that. PS3 categories will probably be greyed out on the PS4. Assuming bc doesn't happen.

No. Not reset I misspoke. You will still keep your activations on your PS3 and you will have a NEW set of activations on your PS4 (and I DON'T care if they bring down the number of activations on the PS4 to 3, as rumored in that new TOS awhile ago, as long as it is fair to people if consoles continue to die). I don't see how, realistically, Sony would ever be able to touch your activations on your PS3. Sorry if I misspoke.

yurinka

stuburns said:
I personally do think PS4 will be fully BC (maybe only downloadable BC for PS1/2, but the software running at least I mean).

And I think our PSN accounts will transfer over. This would be such a fuck up if they didn't. All this DLC, all these little downloadable games, they're basically promising us that. Also, they'll probably not push the hardware next time, they will hopefully use a lot of the same hardware.
I agree. They are evolving PS3 through tons of new on-line systems. I really doubt you won't access to all this stuff in PS4, including the games.

Now a lot of PSN stuff can be shared with PSP using your same account. They also plan to add PSN support in other portable Sony devices. So I'm pretty sure they will also add it to PS4.
netguy503 said:
No. Not reset I misspoke. You will still keep your activations on your PS3 and you will have a NEW set of activations on your PS4 (and I DON'T care if they bring down the number of activations on the PS4 to 3, as rumored in that new TOS awhile ago, as long as it is fair to people if consoles continue to die). I don't see how, realistically, Sony would ever be able to touch your activations on your PS3. Sorry if I misspoke.
The activation number change was oficially a typo in their new TOS. So not 3, it's still 5.

genjiZERO

So does anyone have any recommendations on games to get through the Japanese store? So far I've got Einhander, Landmaker, and Samurai Spirits 4. Any great rare games (that doesn't really require knowing Japanese) that I need to get?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Mailenstein said:
Ah, thanks guys.

So what awaits us for the next update? And on a side note.. can you guys recommend Bomberman Ultra? Any good?

For $4.99 I bought it. It's Bomberman. I played online once with about 7 other people and it was pretty fun... if you have people that want to play Bomberman, it seems like you could do a lot worse than this.

lobdale said:
For $4.99 I bought it. It's Bomberman. I played online once with about 7 other people and it was pretty fun... if you have people that want to play Bomberman, it seems like you could do a lot worse than this.
Thank you! I want to play it with my gf and some dudes online. Looks fun so far and for 4,99€ it's ok I guess.

Vamphuntr

FFObsessed said:
So no proper update 2moro? I wantz FFVIII :(

We pretty much know the PSP and psone games only when the update is up. For FFVIII we knew just before the update went up that we would get it on that night.

Top Bottom