• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store: July 2023’s Top Downloads

Flabagast

Who told you that because that is false. If that was the case games like GTA5 and COD would be #1 and #2 every single month and that is rarely the case. These charts are sales of full games only. Add-ons are not included
I am not even sure these charts are sales tbh. These are just tracking the number of downloads of a specific SKU non, whether it was just bought or not

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Didn't final fantasy xvi launch in July? Seems low.

Below remnant II?

That's crazy to me but maybe I'm underestimating how huge remnant is.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make sense of it just like the other guy. NPD measures performance based on generated revenue in their charts anyway. Measuring by unit has become less meaningful than how much money a game nets through IAPs in modern times. An one-off single purchase is "old news".

Also, I'd imagine GTA and CoD wouldn't have to be #1 or #2. It would be sufficient to keep fluctuating within the top 10 just like the list in the OP.
I'm telling you that you are wrong. Sony clarified years ago these charts are based on units sold. Besides a lot of these games are on these charts month after month due to sales. You think these games like Mortal Kombat 11 that shoot up these charts when they are on sale for $5-$10 are generating more revenue than much higher priced games? No. It's units sold not revenue from DLC and all that. Can't believe we still have people after all this time trying to spin different factors on this

I am not even sure these charts are sales tbh. These are just tracking the number of downloads of a specific SKU non, whether it was just bought or not
Incorrect. Again all of this has been clarified long ago and is very apparent if you use any kind of common sense. When a new indie game comes out and places high in these charts you honestly think it is being downloaded more than 20 other big name games? It is sales and we have had PlayStation and sales people clarify this over and over. I can't with the nonsense in here.

I'm telling you that you are wrong. Sony clarified years ago these charts are based on units sold. Besides a lot of these games are on these charts month after month due to sales. You think these games like Mortal Kombat 11 that shoot up these charts when they are on sale for $5-$10 are generating more revenue than much higher priced games? No. It's units sold not revenue from DLC and all that. Can't believe we still have people after all this time trying to spin different factors on this

Fair enough. Got a source to back up that claim though?

Last edited:

Gorgon

Glad to see The Witcher 3 still on the charts. Some people still have good taste.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Got a source to back up that claim though?
I'm not going to go back and search every single one of those PS Store Blog posts but back when they used to reply to people in the comments they were asked if the charts reflected new game purchases or downloads and they confirmed it was new purchases for the month.

I'm not going to go back and search every single one of those PS Store Blog posts but back when they used to reply to people in the comments they were asked if the charts reflected new game purchases or downloads and they confirmed it was new purchases for the month.

Oh? So, you want me to perceive you as the primary source?

"Long ago" can mean a lot of things. Depending on how "long ago" it was stated, that information may have become outdated.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Best selling game 2013 vs. 2023?

still-same.gif

Last edited:
Oh? So, you want me to perceive you as the primary source?

"Long ago" can mean a lot of things. Depending on how "long ago" it was stated, that information may have become outdated.
So Sony changed how the charts worked from how they said they did because in your mind they did? Gotcha. Look I already told you how they work and common sense will tell you too if you look at how titles perform month by month. If you want to be ignorant to believe that these charts are based on people re-downloading their games go right ahead.

So Sony changed how the charts worked from how they said they did because in your mind they did? Gotcha. Look I already told you how they work and common sense will tell you too if you look at how titles perform month by month. If you want to be ignorant to believe that these charts are based on people re-downloading their games go right ahead.
Dude, you waltzed in, started to correct people implying they're "factually" wrong with a "dude trust me" and now you hesitate to provide a source. That PS blog has been around since circa the late 00's. Times change. Way things are "measured" change.

All I requested was a valid source to back up your claim. I will gladly acknowledge you're right, if it gets substantiated and verified.

Last edited:
Dude, you waltzed in, started to correct people implying they're "factually" wrong with a "dude trust me" and now you hesitate to provide a source. That PS blog has been around since circa the late 00's. Times change. Way things are "measured" change.

All I requested was a valid source to back up your claim. I will gladly acknowledge you're right, if it gets substantiated and verified.
I'm a grown guy that has better things to do than go search all the store blog posts for where they confirmed that to people. If you don't want to believe it that's your choice I'm simply sharing what I know. The idea of the chart reflecting games that people re-downloaded over and over for the month is so absurd. Nobody out there puts out charts like that because they would be pointless. On top of that sales data people like Benji Sales and Mat Piscatella from NPD have talked about these charts a lot in the past which they wouldn't do if they weren't SALES charts.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Its probably because these charts are based on total revenue generated. Not just units sold. The real cash is in the digital content. Its at the top because some people keep buying shark cards in droves.
It's a sales chart.

It was called "Top Sellers" before 2016.

PlayStation Store: November’s Top Sellers​

This changed in January 2016 when they started calling it Top Downloads.

PlayStation Store’s Top Downloads of 2015​

There was one point in 2015 when they called it "Top Downloads."

PlayStation Store: August 2015’s Top Downloads​

Its at the top because some people keep buying shark cards in droves.

It's top because people keep buying new copies of Gran Theft Auto.

They announced it sold 175 million copies earlier this year and they just announced it surpassed 185 million copies sold.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Didn't final fantasy xvi launch in July? Seems low.

Below remnant II?

That's crazy to me but maybe I'm underestimating how huge remnant is.

I'm about halfway through FF16 and frankly, I'm bored. Can see why it's not doing all that well. It's very, very one dimensional and pretty superficial.

Woopah

Japan charts are out, very surprised that Exoprimal's placement:

1FINAL FANTASY XVI
2Street Fighter 6
3Exoprimal
4Remnant II
5Grand Theft Auto V
6Monster Hunter Rise
7Diablo IV
8Resident Evil RE:3
9ELDEN RING
10CRYMACHINA
11Hogwarts Legacy
12Atelier Marie Remake ~The Alchemist of Salburg~
13Resident Evil Village
14Yakuza Restoration! very
15Cyberpunk 2077
16Front Mission The First: Remake
17Persona 5 Royal
18Octopath Traveler II
19Tales of Arise
20Molten Marfusha

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Japan charts are out, very surprised that Exoprimal's placement:

1FINAL FANTASY XVI
2Street Fighter 6
3Exoprimal
4Remnant II
5Grand Theft Auto V
6Monster Hunter Rise
7Diablo IV
8Resident Evil RE:3
9ELDEN RING
10CRYMACHINA
11Hogwarts Legacy
12Atelier Marie Remake ~The Alchemist of Salburg~
13Resident Evil Village
14Yakuza Restoration! very
15Cyberpunk 2077
16Front Mission The First: Remake
17Persona 5 Royal
18Octopath Traveler II
19Tales of Arise
20Molten Marfusha

I'm surprised by Remnant.

(...)

It's top because people keep buying new copies of Gran Theft Auto.

They announced it sold 175 million copies earlier this year and they just announced it surpassed 185 million copies sold.

I see. Okay, yeah, then its ridiculous GTAV continues to keep pushing its total.

Woopah

I'm surprised by Remnant.

It's a probably a combination of:

1. Overall sales being low
2. Remnant and Exoprimal being two of the only new releases that month
3. The two games having higher digital splits than the other games on the chart due to their focus being on online multiplayer

Top Bottom