• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

it should be fine - i am going to repeat the process so my 16 gig is fine for US content today.

1) Factory restore JPN PSV with the 16 gig card in (US target card)
2) opt to DEACTIVATE account when asked
3) Input US account details
4) watch that F***ing intro movie AGAIN
5) Download content from PS3 to PSV
6) Factory restore US PSV with 32 gig card in
7) opt to deactivate US account
8) input JPN account details
9) Wave fist at the stupid intro movie AGAIn
10) Check i can still play content from mem card
11) victory
12) make months of posts moaning that the process wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't fot having to watch the stupid intro Movie

So that means you can play stuff off JP PSN on a US account afterall?

DCharlie

Banned
You don´t have to that every time you want to switch account, do you?

yes

one of the few things that Sony did seemingly get right

eewwww

just noticed something nasty :/
In the notifications to other people , it's telling people i played certain games for the first time (after i did the reset/swap thing). That's a little annoying but i wonder if theres other tracking data that's going to get wiped too ? :/

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
@DCharlie: If you want to use the same US 16giger when you switch back to your JP account, do you have to erase the content in order to deactivate? It'd be nice to leave them, even as dead weight, in case I want to switch back later.

Does the stick even have to be inserted for deactivation?

DCharlie

Banned
So that means you can play stuff off JP PSN on a US account afterall?

should be able to - going to try now. I've got about 20 mins before i've got Son for breakfast duty.

edit: oooooh, when i first tried this - i chose NOT to deactivate and now it's no longer asks. Eek.

@DCharlie: If you want to use the same US 16giger when you switch back to your JP account, do you have to erase the content in order to deactivate? It'd be nice to leave them, even as dead weight, in case I want to switch back later.

Does the stick even have to be inserted for deactivation?

if you want to use the SAME memcard - or if you have any thoughts about using the same card - FORGET IT. It's -one- account to -one- card.

basically - the internal storage stores what the account the machine is associated with. if that doesn't match the account associated with the memory card (which can only be ONE account too), then the Vita tells you that if you want to use that card, you'll have to format it.

NIghtWolf

Then why these blokes ain't using it!? USE IT PEOPLE! Wan't to see moar.

Is that House in your avatar?

Now I'm pretty much expecting final opinions about the current vita owners (I know that may take a while if they have multiple games to go through), as in what's annoying and whats nice about it and if it feels like a solid platform etc. specially if it was worth it to get it at launch.

Alright, the hype has gotten to me and I'm thinking about having a friend ship me one from Japan. Now I have both a US and a Japanese account but I have a quick question. I use my NA account more then anything. Can I use my NA account but PLAY hard copy import games on the system?

Or do I have to be in my Japanese account in order to play the import games?

DCharlie

Banned
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

What does this mean?

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

if that's it - if you can only chose to deactivate once?

it's bad on two fronts.

1) if you didn't do it by accident, then the machine is forever locked to that account
2) it means no import games for me from PSN

saichi

Here's a really good hardware size comparison pic via Andriasang

U0vNJ.jpg

where is 3DS?

it's bad on two fronts.

1) if you didn't do it by accident, then the machine is forever locked to that account

You can't deactivate it in account settings like on the PS3?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
should be able to - going to try now. I've got about 20 mins before i've got Son for breakfast duty.

You couldn't do this on PSP, could you? I'd be really surprised if you can on Vita given it seems generally more picky about account stuff.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
if you want to use the SAME memcard - or if you have any thoughts about using the same card - FORGET IT. It's -one- account to -one- card.

basically - the internal storage stores what the account the machine is associated with. if that doesn't match the account associated with the memory card (which can only be ONE account too), then the Vita tells you that if you want to use that card, you'll have to format it.
:\

it's bad on two fronts.

:(

x3sphere

it's bad on two fronts.

Can't you deactivate machines from the PSN website as well? I thought Sony recently added the feature.

patsu

Well, I know that... still, porting it would be easier than coding their own browser from scratch (which is what they appear to be doing). Plus they already have a cross-platform framework, as mentioned.

It's using WebKit, not creating from scratch.

Out of fear for piracy and content management we now have this clusterfuck. God, I will just stick to US PSN store and buy point cards, cheaper than in EU store anyway. I just hope one day Sony won't decide to IP block me from accessing the store.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie - Have you tried deactivating your PSN account on the machine separately?

You cannot deactivate your PS Vita system after you dispose of it. Because the number of systems that can be activated for a PlayStation®Network account is limited, deactivate your system before disposing of it.

While you are signed in to PlayStation®Network, tap (Settings) > [Start] > [PlayStation®Network] > [System Activation] and follow the on-screen instructions.

or

When you cannot deactivate a system

When you cannot deactivate an activated system using that system, for example, due to a malfunction or because the system has been disposed of, contact the technical support line for your region.

You can also deactivate all activated systems for each content type from the following website:

http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/
Go to [Account] > [Media and Devices], and then select [Deactivate All] for the type of content for which you want to deactivate all activated systems.

Or is 'activation' the same thing as the account link-up?

Strikes me as a bug, though, if it's not asking you each time when you restore the system (vs just restoring settings or whatever). I mean, the manual even implores you to deauth your system if you ever 'dispose' of it, so I can't imagine they intend to put any limitations on that.

CrankyJay

Banned
But will this be commercially viable either? I hope so, but typically new display tech launches aren't. Generally you're looking at near or at 5 figure launches. Look back at the last display tech launch. Sony's first SXRD originally retailed at above $10,000. At least it could make an argument for why at the time - it actually provided the best IQ at its size.

Will these be able to make such a claim? I'd find it surprising if that's the case. Today there are tons of displays available in the 55" range utilizing several different display technologies. Will this actually offer competitive features and superior IQ to warrant a 'new tech' cost? We'll see, but I doubt it will in its first iteration.

What this display does offer over the Sony OLED from a few years back is an actual usable display for traditional duties. It's a large size, and one would assume ... doesn't need to turn its brightness down after a few minutes to prevent pixel suicide. Will that be enough to warrant a 'new tech' cost? I doubt it. Hopefully they can launch at a more competitive price then previous new display techs.

Yes, it will be commercially viable (in 2-3 years). OLED TVs will be printed en masse. DuPont apparently has a method to print OLED panels up to 50 inches in a matter of minutes.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1320761315

I'm surprised you bought shares in a company that works on a technology you don't seem to believe in or know much about.

Sony's OLED TV in 2007 was probably 7-8 years ahead of its time.

patsu

edit: oooooh, when i first tried this - i chose NOT to deactivate and now it's no longer asks. Eek.

It sounds like a policy decision, not a technical one. They explicitly lock it to one account.

patsu

Pretty weird that they shipped with broken HTML5 support then, considering WebKit has had decent support for a long time...

Hopefully future firmware updates fix it.

Full HTML5 has an open app platform that can bypass Sony's models.

Their Xperia Android browser has more features, including WebGL support.

I think the other challenge is in-game access. Not sure how much WebKit 2 will take up compared to the original WK.

DCharlie

Banned
okay - i'm convinced this is a bug and i'm just going to wait. I'm worried that the other deactivation is at the account level and the last thing i want to do is have an account i can't switch on the vita which is deactivated over in PSN land! (i.e. bricked lol)

spwolf

Any scratch resistant coating for the screen? PSP likes to get scratched up. Any dead pixels yet?

Also psp,vita, 3ds, which has the best left analog/slider/nub?

Charley have you seen the stream? What do you think about the hardware and software (OS)?

Screen looks absolutely beautiful. Heartened to hear that the battery life is apparently better-than-advertised. I still find the bubbles hideous but it looks like the touch interface stuff works well in practice. In all the stuff we're seeing in the streams/first-hand reports I'm feeling very good about it as a physical device and an OS (absent my previous, oft-repeated concerns.)

Uncharted looks hella jank to me, though.

Well, I know that... still, porting it would be easier than coding their own browser from scratch

I honestly do not believe that.

V_Ben

Banned
Screen looks absolutely beautiful. Heartened to hear that the battery life is apparently better-than-advertised. I still find the bubbles hideous but it looks like the touch interface stuff works well in practice. In all the stuff we're seeing in the streams/first-hand reports I'm feeling very good about it as a physical device and an OS (absent my previous, oft-repeated concerns.)

Uncharted looks hella jank to me, though.

I get the feeling Uncharted might be a Motorstorm situation, rushed to make the Japanese launch, with a noticeably better version arriving in time for the western launch. At least, I hope it's that way.

Takao

Banned
I get the feeling Uncharted might be a Motorstorm situation, rushed to make the Japanese launch, with a noticeably better version arriving in time for the western launch. At least, I hope it's that way.

It probably will be improved for the western launch, as SCEA really hasn't started the marketing machine for that game. We haven't gotten a "Meet Dante", and a "Meet Chase" trailer or something.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hmmm, so assuming you download all your games you can only download 10 if they are all around 3 gigs. That is kind of strange since 32 is the biggest memory card. Sony should have lowered the prices and introduced a 64 gig option for $120.
I think that Uncharted is more of an "extreme case" when it comes to the size. I dont think that the other Vita games are that big in size. Ridge Racer is like 525MB i think (although that is a small game with little content, so it might not be a too good indicator for Vita games in general).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom