• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

RavageX

Yes! I would have totally passed over it, but saw recommendations for it on reddit, and especially at the sale price it's definitely worth it.
I picked it up but haven't played it yet. At the price especially if you have plus you shouldn't pass on it. Looks really good from what I've seen, just short.

Been waiting for Knockout League for AU and it's up now. Seems like it could be alot of fun (and tiring,lol)

Had alittle play but going to have to move furniture around for better results in dodging etc but seems to run smooth.

Seems abit cheap i and lazy i know, just sitting there on couch but it was first jump in and trying lol :p

Play it standing up.

RavageX

Hey guys, I just heard that the VR update for Wipeout is up!!! Ive gotta go to work, but I hope someone here has it and will let us know what is like.

I have been looking into upgrading to a new model headset, tired of switching cables and believe it or not, that's made me play it less....

Toe-Knee

Hey guys, I just heard that the VR update for Wipeout is up!!! Ive gotta go to work, but I hope someone here has it and will let us know what is like.

I have been looking into upgrading to a new model headset, tired of switching cables and believe it or not, that's made me play it less....

Get a huierav switcher. Works wonders and costs next to nothing.

The one I have doesn't seem to be in stock on amazon but there's a newer version with optical too
HUIERAV 4K*2K HDMI to HDMI+Optical SPDIF with 3.5mm Stereo HDMI Audio Extractor | HDMI to SPDIF Converter Splitter |HDMI to RCA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X92VTRG/

Last edited:

RavageX

The one I have doesn't seem to be in stock on amazon but there's a newer version with optical too
HUIERAV 4K*2K HDMI to HDMI+Optical SPDIF with 3.5mm Stereo HDMI Audio Extractor | HDMI to SPDIF Converter Splitter |HDMI to RCA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X92VTRG/

Thanks for that heads up, I think I had asked about it earlier in the thread but forgot about it. I found one by the same company here in the US that works with HDR for like $15. Have ordered :)

Toe-Knee

Thanks for that heads up, I think I had asked about it earlier in the thread but forgot about it. I found one by the same company here in the US that works with HDR for like $15. Have ordered :)

A quick tip if it's the same as the one I have. Don't switch it while the ps4 or TV is on or you will get handshake issues.

Minamu

Could handshake issues (I don't have a switcher) be causing the fact that my tv reverts the just scan setting back to 16:9, causing image overscan? Happens almost every time I turn on my ps4 pro since connecting the vr box and/or when switching from tv to vr.

Toe-Knee

Could handshake issues (I don't have a switcher) be causing the fact that my tv reverts the just scan setting back to 16:9, causing image overscan? Happens almost every time I turn on my ps4 pro since connecting the vr box and/or when switching from tv to vr.

Not sure about that. Handshake issues are generally pretty obvious. Screen cuts to black for a second or do and on most TVs the info banner comes up saying what source is connected And resolution etc.

I guess maybe it's something in your settings that might have changed with a TV firmware update?

TechJunk

I just hooked up my PSVR with the new box and was losing sound when I switched inputs. I just unplug and replug the hdmi cables from all my other inputs as well as the PSVR and it seems to have fixed it. Maybe just try that.

Toe-Knee

Just had another thought. Hdmi control can cause this with the vr box with longer cables.

Toe-Knee

Well Farpoint is the first game to make me feel nauseous.

Its a shame as I was loving the gameplay but everytime I stop moving It makes me feel awful.

MultiCore

Well Farpoint is the first game to make me feel nauseous.

Its a shame as I was loving the gameplay but everytime I stop moving It makes me feel awful.
Make sure when you're moving, it's straight forward, and not at a strafe. Keep your head looking forward. Consider snap turning, and lowering your walk speed.

You should get more tolerant of it over time.

Minamu

Just had another thought. Hdmi control can cause this with the vr box with longer cables.
I use the standard cables, I don't think they're longer than 1.5m.
Not sure about that. Handshake issues are generally pretty obvious. Screen cuts to black for a second or do and on most TVs the info banner comes up saying what source is connected And resolution etc.

I guess maybe it's something in your settings that might have changed with a TV firmware update?
I see, well I recently moved my tv and switched hdmi ports, and I got weird static on the screen and odd noise from the speakers for a few seconds at console bootup :/ Seems to have gone away though after a week or two. TV is so old that it can't receive firmware updates online. It's one of the very first good Samsung 1080p screens back from like Modern Warfare 1 days lol. Or older actually.
I just hooked up my PSVR with the new box and was losing sound when I switched inputs. I just unplug and replug the hdmi cables from all my other inputs as well as the PSVR and it seems to have fixed it. Maybe just try that.
You mean this fixed it permanently? From one replugging? Can't hurt to try! My problem doesn't seem to happen if I start the tv before the ps4, but can't be sure.

Toe-Knee

I use the standard cables, I don't think they're longer than 1.5m.
I see, well I recently moved my tv and switched hdmi ports, and I got weird static on the screen and odd noise from the speakers for a few seconds at console bootup :/ Seems to have gone away though after a week or two. TV is so old that it can't receive firmware updates online. It's one of the very first good Samsung 1080p screens back from like Modern Warfare 1 days lol. Or older actually.
You mean this fixed it permanently? From one replugging? Can't hurt to try! My problem doesn't seem to happen if I start the tv before the ps4, but can't be sure.
Make sure when you're moving, it's straight forward, and not at a strafe. Keep your head looking forward. Consider snap turning, and lowering your walk speed.

You should get more tolerant of it over time.

I have the default settings on where you turn based on where you are looking.

I had another go today and it was better got up to the queen.

In surprised it was this that made me feel sick rather than drive club which seems to get a lot of people.

Sintoid

I have the default settings on where you turn based on where you are looking.

I had another go today and it was better got up to the queen.

In surprised it was this that made me feel sick rather than drive club which seems to get a lot of people.

Set walk and strafe with analog sticks and most of your problems will disappear. I had same problems of sickness and changing walking method eliminated it completely. Now I'm addicted to time attack mode XD

Grinchy

Banned
I felt like tinkering with the headset a little bit, so I hooked it up to a raspberry pi 3 which has retropie on it.

The audio actually works and goes through the earbuds, and the video looks quite nice. Can you guess the big problem with it? Well, the damn thing starts drifting within minutes of playing anything. Unless you are using a swivel chair, it's unplayable within 10 minutes because the screen is so far to the left.

RavageX

The hdmi switcher came in today, but for the life of me I have had some sort of brain lapse and can't figure out how to hook the thing up so I can switch back and forth...

It displays PS4 in HDR, but VR does not show. How should I be routing the cables?

Toe-Knee

The hdmi switcher came in today, but for the life of me I have had some sort of brain lapse and can't figure out how to hook the thing up so I can switch back and forth...

It displays PS4 in HDR, but VR does not show. How should I be routing the cables?

The ps4 was out to the switcher then on the otherside output 1 goes straight to the TV this is your main hdr one.

Output 2 goes to the PSVR breakout box then from there you connect everything at normal.

mitchman

Gold Member
I can't believe that they haven't released a new switcher for the original PSVR headset that handles HDR. Unexcusable with the PS4 Pro out now. I really can't be bothered with the PSVR anymore with this and the bad tracking (I even bought a HDMI switch but never bothered to install it). My money goes into the Oculus headset.

Hi mate - I ordered one of these to stop having to change cables with my 4K HDR TV - can you advise where about it goes within the setup? - Cheers!

Toe-Knee

Hi mate - I ordered one of these to stop having to change cables with my 4K HDR TV - can you advise where about it goes within the setup? - Cheers!

Hi set it up like this.

PSVR-ibis1.png

Then you just change the hdmi source on the box and TV and you are good to go.

Be sure to fully turn the ps4 off before switching. That alone is enough on mine but a friend has one too and he has to turn his TV off too when switching back to the hdr source otherwise he gets handshake issues when hdr is active.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm waiting for the Wipeout patch to download atm. I can't wait to finally try this! I've read nothing but good things.

Hopefully this makes enough of a splash that other companies will start converting their old games into VR games like Skyrim. That seems like the only economically feasible way for developers to create major VR games with how small the userbase is.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Early impressions of Wipeout - it's fucking awesome. I guess if you don't like the way Wipeout plays, this probably won't change your mind. But if you like it even a little bit (I'm no huge racing fan) you will probably love this in VR.

I don't have any motion sickness issues ever, but I am locking the camera to the cockpit instead of the pilot just because it seems to play better that way so far. All other comfort stuff is turned off.

Yeah Wipeout is insanely great. Perhaps my favorite VR title right now (or at least in my top 3). Perhaps a lot of it is nostalgia, because I’ve loved the series since the first game on PSX - but damn did they nail it. The graphics are some of the best I’ve seen in VR and the sense of speed and place is spot on.

Another I just recently tried is Blasters of the Universe. I feel like this game is a bit under the radar. It’s contending with Wipeout for all of my playtime right now. It’s a stationary 180 degree shooter (2 moves) but really requires you to move in your space a lot - crouching, stretching, and side stepping to avoid incoming fire. Your hit box is your head and the projectiles come at a steady, medium pace in bullet hell style arrangements for you to try to dodge completely or to steer your head through. The tracking is insanely good and the graphics and Tron mixed with Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic is really compelling. On top of all of that there’s a cool weapon system where you build your gun and support weapons by mix and matching components.

Toe-Knee

Thanks mate but it looks like the box I have ordered is not the right one as it only has one HDMI in and out.

Don't suppose you can recommend one that is in stock at Amazon UK? Cheers for your help.
Thats all it needs. 1 in 2 out.

Can you give me a link to the one you have? They're bi directional so you can use one input to two outputs or two inputs to one output.

RavageX

Thats all it needs. 1 in 2 out.

Can you give me a link to the one you have? They're bi directional so you can use one input to two outputs or two inputs to one output.

Do I need to change any setting on the ps4 itself? It keeps bringing up a screen showing an image of a proper setup, I switch over to the ps vr, my tv detects it but no signal shows on the tv.

Wonko_C

I thought VR was just a huge gimmick?

I thought at first too, then I got my hands on a Google Cardboard and saw the potential. Some time later I played on PSVR and the potential I saw was completely realized. Now I'm on my way to opening up my own VR Arcade Center soon.

Toe-Knee

Do I need to change any setting on the ps4 itself? It keeps bringing up a screen showing an image of a proper setup, I switch over to the ps vr, my tv detects it but no signal shows on the tv.

You just need to switch on the box and then switch the hdmi source on your TV to whichever the output from the box is.

RavageX

I'm gonna have to play with it a bit, I'm certain I've done something off, cause it's working for everyone else, lol

Belker

What? I went to a Vrcade centre here in London a year or two ago. It was fun, but all I could think about was how - as the technology gets cheaper and cheaper - the viability of it as a businesses becomes weaker and weaker.

Is it going to be a pop-up place or are you planning for it to be long term?

Wonko_C

What? I went to a Vrcade centre here in London a year or two ago. It was fun, but all I could think about was how - as the technology gets cheaper and cheaper - the viability of it as a businesses becomes weaker and weaker.

Is it going to be a pop-up place or are you planning for it to be long term?

That is likely true of most developed countries, then again, there is stuff that's meant for businesses like higher-end headsets, platforms that allow for walking, hydraulic seats for racing/flying experiences, etc.

But in Mexico at least you can even open a game room with 20 or 30 Xbox One consoles and TVs and it will do extremely well.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Loving wipeout VR.

It can make my inner ear/head feel a bit funny but for me if I glance at a fixed part of the screen like the displays in the cockpit it calms down and once I get adjusted it's all good.

I also play it without pilot assist, from the pilot pov and with the max peripheral vision.

Belker

That is likely true of most developed countries, then again, there is stuff that's meant for businesses like higher-end headsets, platforms that allow for walking, hydraulic seats for racing/flying experiences, etc.

But in Mexico at least you can even open a game room with 20 or 30 Xbox One consoles and TVs and it will do extremely well.

Ah, that makes sense. Perhaps I should have asked what country you were in, rather than assuming (I'm in the UK). When do you expect to be up and running?

Grinchy

Banned
I keep finding myself coming back to Wipeout. I figure I'll do a few races and the next thing I know, I've played for an hour and a half. I'm not really into racing games usually, but this game is fun.

RavageX

I've given up on the HDMI switcher, just doesn't seem to work for me with VR, but does for everything else.

Finally played Knockout League and was not disappointed. My only complaint was it doesn't seem to like different punches. No point in doing hooks, etc unless I'm just doing something wrong.

Had my gf play, which actually caused me to worry. Neighbors probably thought I was killing her or something, she was very LOUD playing it, and was completely exhausted after having knocked the first guy down twice. Got so into it that she wandered out of the play area, lol.

I only got to the chick, and was doing well though i can't seem to block or dodge her barrage of punches or properly counterattack by hitting her circle.

I did get a good bit of exercise from it, and loved it.

I didn't get a chance to try Wipe out, will probably try it after work today.

Grinchy

Banned
I've given up on the HDMI switcher, just doesn't seem to work for me with VR, but does for everything else.
I just bought a HDMI extension cable and it has always worked perfectly. You plug the extension cable into the back of the PS4 and then you switch between HDR and VR gaming by just plugging those HDMI cables into the female end of the extension.

There's nothing that can mechanically go wrong that way and the cable was like $7 on Amazon.

Last edited:

RavageX

I just bought a HDMI extension cable and it has always worked perfectly. You plug the extension cable into the back of the PS4 and then you switch between HDR and VR gaming by just plugging those HDMI cables into the female end of the extension.

There's nothing that can mechanically go wrong that way and the cable was like $7 on Amazon.

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Top Bottom