• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

Leatherface

I wonder how easy or pain in the ass it will be to cancel / reactivate service at my choosing . Can I just cancel via the website like Netflix etc? This is important.

U2NUMB

I wonder how easy or pain in the ass it will be to cancel / reactivate service at my choosing . Can I just cancel via the website like Netflix etc? This is important.

I saw an IGN video which basically said you can do that.... sub for a show and then cancel when you want. I assume its that easy but others here who have had it might know better.

Leatherface

I saw an IGN video which basically said you can do that.... sub for a show and then cancel when you want. I assume its that easy but others here who have had it might know better.

I just read that you can subscribe/unsubscribe right through the PS4 once a billing cycle. Not bad if it's that easy.

it's probably just as easy like sling. you pay upfront for the month. cancel and you just watch the remaining days.

TS-08

If it's like Sling, it'll be month to month and you can just log in and select a cancel option. So you will have to pay for the month you're in, but it won't renew after you cancel. I don't know exactly how Vue works but I'd be surprised if it wasn't similar. And if you want to reactivate, you probably just log in and hit subscribe (choosing the option you want).

Leatherface

To make adjustments to your subscription from PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 3 console:

Within PlayStation™Vue, highlight [Settings].

Go to [Subscription] and press X.

Choose [Modify My Subscription] or [Unsubscribe].

(from the website FAQ)

I can't tell if they're trolling or not. Does this service really not work on Windows? They are supporting Amazon Fire, but not Windows? Is this a total, "We won't do anything that could potentially have some positive impact on Microsoft customers?" or is the tech just not there in Windows to make this service work?

From what I can tell from using it, it's very easy. It's pretty much the only thing in Settings, and there's a big button that says "Unsubscribe".

I think it is baffling that you need to use an iOS device to use Chromecast... why can't you flat out use the normal Chromecast? What's wrong with that?

Leatherface

Well I am at least going to give this a 7 day shot to see how I like it. Wish it was $20 but I do like the cloud DVR features. Anyone know if this is one of those deals where you put in your billing info to get the trail and if you don't cancel within that time period you are automatically dinged? I hate that! Let me try it and then at the end ask for my billing info if I want to continue. That would kick this business relationship off to a much better start. :p

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
On ps3. Says i have to renew. Can more than one be on vue or is this an error?

Edit: it was an error. Watching on ps3 now

Nafai1123

Banned
I think it is baffling that you need to use an iOS device to use Chromecast... why can't you flat out use the normal Chromecast? What's wrong with that?

It is indeed baffling, but is due to the fact that the Android app does not currently support Vue while the iOS app does. I'm hoping they get this working ASAP as I would love to be able to watch TV on my phone in bed.

It is indeed baffling, but is due to the fact that the Android app does not currently support Vue while the iOS app does. I'm hoping they get this working ASAP as I would love to be able to watch TV on my phone in bed.

Exactly. I don't think the Android one will be far behind... hopefully. Maybe someone can mention it to them on Twitter? Also, if Roku had it as well, that'd be fantastic.

ShutterMunster

They need to fix PS3 performance. It is abysmal, there is no other way to put it. If they can't improve the performance it shouldn't even be on there. They also need to up the amount of channels that are available on mobile and out of home, it pales in comparison to the FIOS and Time Warner apps.

IS SOMEONE FROM SONY SEEING THIS?!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just found one more error ... I didn't mark down HGTV for Sling.

Don't need to post new links, though, because I just found the "upload new version" option on Google Drive! The spreadsheets are updated and the links should still work and show the corrections.

I updated the exclusives and total channels numbers on each document, too.

pacman85

What channels are available on the 29.99 deal? I need amc history channel for Vikings Disney and Nickelodeon for the kids.
Man I just realized this doesn't have History channel (or any of the A&E owned networks) on it. Crap, I was about ready to sign up too. This is making me re-consider.

NastyBook

I feel like this would totally blow threw Comcast's shitty 300GB bandwidth cap. But man, does it look tempting. Please come down to Rex, Google. Save us...

Tigress

They need to fix PS3 performance. It is abysmal, there is no other way to put it. If they can't improve the performance it shouldn't even be on there. They also need to up the amount of channels that are available on mobile and out of home, it pales in comparison to the FIOS and Time Warner apps.

IS SOMEONE FROM SONY SEEING THIS?!

How bad is it on PS3? ONe of the reasons I'm excited for this is that I don't need a new device to use it as my bedroom tv is old and doesn't have HDMI so Vue being on PS3 is great for me. And I don't want to buy a new tv, I doubt I'll find another tv with audio only (when tv is a great way for me to go to sleep to that is a great feature as no light to keep me up but the sound of the show to lull me to sleep).

So live local TV (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CW) just isn't possible with TV-through-internet solutions? Not available in Sling or Vue. "Use an antenna" isn't really a solution since you need an antenna per TV in the house, plus image quality can be hit or miss depending on a variety of factors (distance from tower, amount of buildings/trees in your area, etc.), and you have to constantly switch between the service and local channels if you want to go from the regular channels to the local ones.

Korgill

So live local TV (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CW) just isn't possible with TV-through-internet solutions? Not available in Sling or Vue. "Use an antenna" isn't really a solution since you need an antenna per TV in the house, plus image quality can be hit or miss depending on a variety of factors (distance from tower, amount of buildings/trees in your area, etc.), and you have to constantly switch between the service and local channels if you want to go from the regular channels to the local ones.

They want you to use Hulu/proprietary services. They won't make deals.

The test markets have them live. It's just that they are run by dinosaurs who can't accept the Internet TV future and are afraid of it.

Plus lucrative deals with cable providers.

Sorry if these have been addressed already:

- Stupid Sony thinks I'm in a launch market, even though I'm not, so I can't access the "basic" pricing. Any fix/workaround for this?

- Can you pay for this with a PSN card?

Thanks.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Not if you use a coax splitter, although signal quality reduces with that option.

It is possible. Several markets have live local TV networks. It's just like DirecTV didn't have live local TV networks at first and they had to be brought on one location at a time because deals need to be made with the local network in that area. So Sony has two choice; they can either just allow access to areas they've negotiated for local networks which has been slow and people complain about not having access to the service, or they can open up the service with the caveat that some locations don't have access to local networks. It's clear they felt the latter option was better at this point.

dickroach

live local sports channels is pretty awesome. MLBtv, NBA Game Time, and the NHL app black out local games.

without a cable subscription or going to a sports bar, there was no way to watch those games. big move my Sony.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just found one more error ... I didn't mark down HGTV for Sling.

Don't need to post new links, though, because I just found the "upload new version" option on Google Drive! The spreadsheets are updated and the links should still work and show the corrections.

I updated the exclusives and total channels numbers on each document, too.

Just edit it in google drive directly and all changes happen live and there's no need to reupload anything.

That's what I do with this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fx1oxuMFjA-t49x1atX1RreUGdc_GZgmHyEuzm99rMQ/edit?usp=sharing

People can even watch editing live.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sorry if these have been addressed already:

- Stupid Sony thinks I'm in a launch market, even though I'm not, so I can't access the "basic" pricing. Any fix/workaround for this?

- Can you pay for this with a PSN card?

Thanks.

I think it can be paid for with your PSN wallet, yeah

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just edit it in google drive directly and all changes happen live and there's no need to reupload anything.

That's what I do with this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fx1oxuMFjA-t49x1atX1RreUGdc_GZgmHyEuzm99rMQ/edit?usp=sharing

People can even watch editing live.

I think I would have to make the spreadsheet in Google to edit it live, though; it doesn't look like I can upload an Excel spreadsheet to Google Drive and then edit it while it's on Drive.

I'm fine with this way, though; I want corrected versions on my hard drive, too =P

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Crazy how it's Sony that's about TV TV TV, considering how this gen started for MS and the Xbox brand.

Either way this looks like a decently good deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Crazy how it's Sony that's about TV TV TV, considering how this gen started for MS and the Xbox brand.

Either way this looks like a decently good deal.

Come on, lol.

They are about Games, VR, TV.

Unless you are referring to Sony making more headway into TV than MSFT did, when it was all they talked about initially?

Miyahon

Signed up for a free trial to check out picture quality.

Picture quality isn't the greatest compared to my current TV service and it varies from channel to channel.

I'll continue to use the service to judge a little more.

Currently using the app on my PS4.

Top Bottom