• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation4 FW 1.5 details

Oppo

Why do people think this is not par for the course in 2013/4?

Of course they're gonna take the extra 3 months to work on the OS. C'mon now. Hardly unexpected.

As for the Blu-ray activation thing, I still maintain that it's has to do with licensing-per box-costs, as the way WMV worked on PS3.

I also think the BG music thing is just being over-parsed.

The suspend/resume thing is what worries me. But not the rest.

Elija2

Man, all three next-gen consoles have huge Day 1 updates that add important features to the console. At least in the case of the PS4 and Wii U the updates aren't absolutely required to just play a game, but this still sets a bad precedent for releasing a console before it was totally ready (especially for the XBONE). I wonder if MS or Sony will be suggesting that people should unbox their console and update it before wrapping it up as a Christmas gift like Nintendo did.

system11

If they're going to do this they should as a courtesy mail out a firmware update disk to all preorder addresses, or make them available in local retail outlets to just walk in and pick up.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, all three next-gen consoles have huge Day 1 updates that add important features to the console. At least in the case of the PS4 and Wii U the updates aren't absolutely required to just play a game, but this still sets a bad precedent for releasing a console before it was totally ready (especially for the XBONE). I wonder if MS or Sony will be suggesting that people should unbox their console and update it before wrapping it up as a Christmas gift like Nintendo did.

Honestly, even though it's an inconvenience for us, we shouldn't be rejecting it on these terms. It doesn't mean that.

For the gamer, it is actually best this way. It means they will spend extra months working and polishing all the different OS features, and aren't bound by when they start mass producing the units themselves. That's a huge boon. For launch systems, the deadlines are always remarkably tight. Sony started planning for the PS4 in late 2007 and have not stopped since, and yet we still require the patch. It's not about not being ready, it's about making sure it works as best as it reasonably can. And that means tweaking until the latest possible moment (and it also is why we continually get patches upgrading these OS's throughout the lifespans of the systems, because you can never have everything on day one. There is always something more you can add).

Same for Microsoft Xbox One and its patch. Although the patch that's coming because the 180s is unique (and does indeed suck), the regular OS upgrades and such that will be in their patch are par for course. It should be seen as a way to deliver us the best possible experience on day one

Racer1977

How in the world do people not expect there to be first day firmware updates? Do people not actually want the best experience possible?

These console have been in production for months, do you really think they are going to finalise every aspect of the OS, features etc., the day the first machine rolls off the production line? It makes far more sense to spend 2-3 months fine tuning the software, with the end user having the 'inconvenience' of a 5 minute download.

Am I the only one that's completely fine with and even expected this? We're in the future. This is how it is now.

No fucks given here apart from Sleep/Resume, that would be a really handy and beneficial feature. We should press the usual channels to try and get an update on when that's coming. I just hope all games will support it and they won't require retroactive patches.

When I went to bed this thread did not exist. I wake up, and it's at 21 pages. GAF moves fast.

Edit- I also don't mind having to download this. If it allows me to play Shadow Fall on my Vita, that's a plus in my book.

kurbaan

Banned
I'm fine with the updated expected it but some of the things in there are pretty funny.

"Online multiplayer" lol wth that should be in like 1.0

But the big megaton disappointment is "Suspend/Resume" that was like a huge feature and now we dont know when its coming.

Deepo

A bit off topic, but I hope the PS4 will stay at 1080p and scale the image if it's not natively rendering full hd. Hate that the PS3 keeps switching to 720p, looks awful when gaming on a monitor.

Do we have any info on this?

But the big megaton disappointment is "Suspend/Resume" that was like a huge feature and now we dont know when its coming.

Hopefully it's not the new cross-game chat. :)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Look forward to drinking a few while my patch installs on launch morning.

Hahah that'd be a system launch done right. I tip my hat to you sir.

Hopefully the Music Unlimited functionality isn't the only method to play music in the background. I'm assuming that the feature point is just poorly worded and that the feature has just been added to the standard ability to play music off of the hard disk or USB media.

UNCMark

Banned
I'm fine with the updated expected it but some of the things in there are pretty funny.

"Online multiplayer" lol wth that should be in like 1.0

Well, you have to figure that 1.0 was for devs. Do you really want devs wasting time watching bluray movies? Agreed about suspend/resume. It's ridiculous that that's not a basic feature built into 1.0.

Am I the only one that's completely fine with and even expected this? We're in the future. This is how it is now.

I am 100% fine with a day 1 patch. The only thing chapping my balls is the potential for music unlimited requiring a sub for playing back music that's on my HDD. When I freaked out earlier, I didn't think that it could just be an app like iTunes or Google Music that can play any music, but the sub is extra and allows for more content. If that is the case, then I am happy.

Sony haven't been dicks about anything so far, so I don't think that would mess this up. I am cautiously optimistic, for now.

kurbaan

Banned
I am 100% fine with a day 1 patch. The only thing chapping my balls is the potential for music unlimited requiring a sub for playing back music that's on my HDD. When I freaked out earlier, I didn't think that it could just be an app like iTunes or Google Music that can play any music, but the sub is extra and allows for more content. If that is the case, then I am happy.

Sony haven't been dicks about anything so far, so I don't think that would mess this up. I am cautiously optimistic, for now.

As far as a I know Music Unlimited is like Spotify / Pandora it has nothing to do with the music you have on your hdd. At least that show the PS3 version worked.

Satchel

Banned
The Bluray thing is by far the strangest one.

For all their talk about not needing to be online, you sure do need to get online to do basically anything.

8byte

Banned
Everyone wants more technology, but not the burdens that come along with it. Gamers be dumb, yo.

To be clear, I don't care about the patch. I care what's in it. Couldn't care less that there is a patch, just disappointed there's no USB headset support.

Skeff

A bit off topic, but I hope the PS4 will stay at 1080p and scale the image if it's not natively rendering full hd. Hate that the PS3 keeps switching to 720p, looks awful when gaming on a monitor.

Do we have any info on this?

Hopefully it's not the new cross-game chat. :)

You can change that in the PS3 settings btw, in the video connection settings just uncheck all the boxes except 1080p.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I wonder if MS or Sony will be suggesting that people should unbox their console and update it before wrapping it up as a Christmas gift like Nintendo did.

Trying to imagine my parents having to do that with my NES circa 1990....oh man. Those were simpler times.

You can change that in the PS3 settings btw, in the video connection settings just uncheck all the boxes except 1080p.

Not a perfect solution, because you'll be playing in fucking 540p SD resolution in PS3 games not supporting 720p -> 1080p upscale, and there's quite a few of those games.

I'm surprised remote play is there day one. It sucks the suspend feature isn't there. But it seems for every console has features that don't show up.

The day one patch isn't a big deal for me, and I highly doubt MU is the only way to listen to custom music on the console. Asking the OS to be ready at essentially E3 for any of these consoles is really unrealistic. They aren't like the PS2 where it had only 3 features.

ClearData

A lot of this is due to manufacturing starting long before the OS is done, right? At 300 MB I'm not to angry about it. It took a year for Nintendo to smooth out the Wii U's kinks. I think Sony and Microsoft will polish a bit faster than that.

If you are going to be an early adopter this is the price you pay in being a beta tester.

ThankeeSai

Sorry if this has already been asked, but if you can upload videos to facebook, does this mean I can save them from facebook to my pc and then upload them to youtube?

dejay

Banned
Here I was thinking Sony was ahead of the game without requiring a day one patch. Seems I was mistaken.

Not that I care; I'm privileged enough to live where it's a non-issue, but let's call a spade a spade.

FranXico

Sorry if this has already been asked, but if you can upload videos to facebook, does this mean I can save them from facebook to my pc and then upload them to youtube?

You should supposedly be able to save up to 15 minutes of gameplay to a video file and just copy it your PC. That is simpler than uploading, downloading and then uploading again.

I'm just glad that you don't need the new firmware to play games. I know the chances are low but in case my ISP craps out or the patch servers get hammered I'm still able to play. That's what's important to me. Everything else I can wait for.
Hopefully this new firmware has been ready for some time and is being included in this first wave of games already being pressed and this becomes a non-issue.

Regarding the thing about Music Unlimited, I bet the PS4 probably already allows for custom soundtracks. The patch just probably makes it possible to also use your Music Unlimited music as custom soundtracks.

Bailers

Well, you have to figure that 1.0 was for devs. Do you really want devs wasting time watching bluray movies? Agreed about suspend/resume. It's ridiculous that that's not a basic feature built into 1.0.

This, but when the OP talks about enabling features, it came out poorly.

Suspend is a bigger deal, but not THAT big a deal. I'll change my mind if it's the new year and we're still talking about this as a future feature.

consoles began being manufactured a few months ago, right?

so how are they supposed to make sure all of those have all of the final OS and app builds on them that have been finalized this month? magically zap the consoles with the new firmware versions?

no. they put it all in a day one patch that gets pushed out immediately when you get online.

consoles being manufactured during Q4 this year are likely to come with 1.5 baked right in. this isn't a big deal guys, come on. be happy the console will function at all unlike the xbone that requires that DRM-stripping patch- which was announced long ago, so makes you wonder how they couldn't put that in before manufacturing? unless they started way earlier?

Justin

Didn't Sony demo a feature in the February reveal where you could control a friends game over PSN? Did that end up not being a real thing? I haven't seen any mention of it since. Its also possible I made up this feature.

Top Bottom