• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic: “We are never using the term spiritual successor again”.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Playtonic wants to be clear: its new Yooka-Laylee game may look a little like Donkey Kong Country, it may sound a bit like Donkey Kong Country, and it may feature a few similar ideas, but Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair is not a spiritual successor to Donkey Kong Country.

You can understand the confusion. Some of the original creators of Donkey Kong Country are working on it. And Playtonic's last game, 2017's Yooka-Laylee, was unashamedly a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie -- another Rare classic from the 1990s.

"We are never saying spiritual successor again," Playtonic studio head Gavin Price tells GamesIndustry.biz. "It worked fantastically as a marketing beat for the first game, although it had some negative things with it, as well. But we need to stand on our own two feet more. We are going to make lots of games in lots of different genres for hopefully many years to come. You'll always be able to point back to something in the past and go 'oh, it's a bit like that then'. That's always going to happen. We need to focus on what makes our games relevant and unique."

Check the link for more.

Fox Mulder

Good on them, they need to form their own identity and not just simply be the studio that makes classic rare games.

They founded the company with that identity, even their logo is supposed to make you think classic Rare.

Yooka Laylee was just bad. Some people call the genre dated but the game also missed the Banjo Kazooie mark in many design areas. I don't blame them for going in a different direction, but of course people are going to think Donkey Kong Country.

Nymphae

Banned
Weird thing to say I think. I never understood that as a marketing term, it just is what it is, some games are successors to older stuff and if there are similarities, they were described as spiritual sequels in previews. It seems pretty self explanatory and I'm surprised anyone takes issue with the use of the term.

Last edited:
I actually love that term "Spiritual Successor" but I can understand what they mean. I liked how Bioshock was considered a spiritual successor to System Shock 2.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Agree that Banjo Kazooie was bad, it was just fucking dull. Nothing wrong with the genre though, give me Croc or give me death.

Edit: not banjo kazooie, yooka laylee. Need sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codes 208

Lol the only reason people cared about that soulless first game was simple for the fact that it was a spiritual successor towards banjo.
And it didnt live up to that, so they got spanked for it. Im not surprised theyre going this route due to that. Trying to do the same thing again by saying how this new one is a spiritual successor of DKC would only start shit if this shits the bed again.

JimmyJones

Banned
Agree that Banjo Kazooie was bad, it was just fucking dull. Nothing wrong with the genre though, give me Croc or give me death.

How can you say Banjo was dull then praise Croc? I loved me some Croc on PS1 but Banjo was the absolute shit!

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
You'll keep making them, just not be so bald-faced about it. OK, I guess? Maybe I'm missing something.

Animagic

Banned

Playtonic wants to be clear: its new Yooka-Laylee game may look a little like Donkey Kong Country, it may sound a bit like Donkey Kong Country, and it may feature a few similar ideas, but Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair is not a spiritual successor to Donkey Kong Country.

You can understand the confusion. Some of the original creators of Donkey Kong Country are working on it. And Playtonic's last game, 2017's Yooka-Laylee, was unashamedly a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie -- another Rare classic from the 1990s.

"We are never saying spiritual successor again," Playtonic studio head Gavin Price tells GamesIndustry.biz. "It worked fantastically as a marketing beat for the first game, although it had some negative things with it, as well. But we need to stand on our own two feet more. We are going to make lots of games in lots of different genres for hopefully many years to come. You'll always be able to point back to something in the past and go 'oh, it's a bit like that then'. That's always going to happen. We need to focus on what makes our games relevant and unique."

Check the link for more.
The new Yooka Laylee game is excellent. I’ll play whatever their next game is no matter what.

Hugare

I'm loving the impossible lair, but it is a reskined Tropical Freeze, all the way

The overworld is different, but everything else is just like TF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good on them
I liked the impossible lair.
But it has no right to stand next to dkc 1 2 and 3

The difficulty curve is amateurish.
But i def keep what they make on my radar

SweetShark

How the Hell they want to accomplish that after the literally "baptised" they own series a Banjo-Kazooie like game AND the characters and world are just similar to ignore it.
They is no problem at all if you like to make a good game base on that.
The Devs know they had failed with their first game and they try now to hide their big words.
Sorry for being negative.

BlackTron

The term spiritual successor makes a lot of sense and has a meaning. They just realize now that it's smarter to avoid comparisons to legendary games.

If they didn't have such big shoes to fill, people might look at their work less critically.

Even if they don't use the term, the first game was obviously a spiritual successor to Banjo and the new game is DKC...

If their next game is an FPS called Joanna Laylee 006, they can call it whatever they want but it's a spiritual successor lol...

If they want to forge a new identity, they need to do something new. The phrase doesn't matter.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm loving the impossible lair, but it is a reskined Tropical Freeze, all the way

The overworld is different, but everything else is just like TF

So, it’s a Rare (in a sense) game. : P

Doing what Nintendo has done in a different way, has been their modus operandi since the beginning. Of course, Rare always put an enjoyable spin on things. Not sure if that’s the case with this one, having not played it yet.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair's official store page blurb said:
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a brand-new platform adventure from some of the key creative talent behind 'Donkey Kong Country'.

:messenger_unamused:

Just because the don't spell out "spiritual successor" to deflect criticism if people don't find them as good as the oldies (it's just different guyz, we don't simply copy!) doesn't mean they've at all changed their intent to capitalize on nostalgia. Which is fine, but embrace it honestly, not with such bs.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Doing what Nintendo has done in a different way, has been their modus operandi since the beginning.

tenor.gif

Let's be honest here. Trying to make another game similar to Banjo Kazooie wasn't the problem. They just didn't deliver the goods so to speak. That genre of games really could use a few more entries imo and I'd still love to see another Banjo Kazooie.

HeresJohnny

Edit: not banjo kazooie, yooka laylee. Need sleep.
LOL I was gonna say that Banjo’s last level was better than most platformers from that era in their entirety. Loved that game.

trikster40

Not a fan of the term “spiritual successor” anyway. It gets thrown onto everything these days. Let’s face it, at this point in gaming, EVERYTHING draws inspiration from something.

Scotty W

So they called their first two games 'spiritual successors' as part of a marketing plan to earn money to spend on new, original games?

0e3.png

Top Bottom