• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex will be available for PS5 at launch

cormack12

Gold Member
Know some people were interested in this

c3z97xkrawu51.png

Last edited:
It's on any TV worth it's salt anyway but still nice if you're one of the few not with a smart TV these days.

They remove Plex from older TVs though that still otherwise work perfectly fine, so always good to see it on the console as a backup.

My Bravia from 2015 had Plex removed in 2018, not a long lifespan.

ptuck874

Never heard of Plex. Is it any good?
its great if you have a pvr type set up on the pc, I have a 4 tuner internal card and it works perfectly as a dvr service, saves what like 10 to 20 a month on dvr service from using a cable company box....
and as quickwhips said above it streaming everything great too!!!!

Last edited:

Quasicat

It's fucking awesome. I stream all my stuff through it. It's one server that you can share libraries with others.
I love how I can create separate accounts for my family. I have my stuff on there, while each of the kids have their specific videos available for them. Everything can be streamed or synced to any device and taken with us.
I only used the PS4 app once, and it was pretty buggy with some buffering issues, but hopefully this will be great for the people who want it on PS5.

PS5 (and maybe XSX) should be the best Plex client outside of buying a Mac mini or building a small form factor HTPC. Using it on PS4 is a terrible experience, Plex on TV is also shit since most SOCs lack the power to run it properly (this is especially a problem with effects heavy SSA subtitles - typically found in fansubs of anime and asian variety TV).

I'll most likely still stick to my Apple TV 4K with Infuse as a Plex Client, but PS5 could turn out to be the best Plex Client if power consumption is around 50 watts while watching a stream.

oldergamer

If you were a part of one or several plex shares, you would then understand why plex is the BEST media app out there (yes even better than netflix).
Plex is OK, but I still prefer Kodi. Not having to setup a plex server for your content, and paying a fee to access your content puts it lower in the list

theHFIC

Plex is OK, but I still prefer Kodi. Not having to setup a plex server for your content, and paying a fee to access your content puts it lower in the list
Base Plex does require a server / always on home computer (or people who give you access to their content) but it does not require a fee. Fee gives access to additional features beyond content sharing. I used Plex for years before I upgraded to the paid Plex pass and there were no content access limitations.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I ripped my Blu-Ray collection and set up a Plex server a few years ago. It's nice to be able to access it from wherever I am and all I had to pay was to unlock streaming on the Plex mobile app for $5 to watch on my iPad. I use the smart TV app at home.

oldergamer

Base Plex does require a server / always on home computer (or people who give you access to their content) but it does not require a fee. Fee gives access to additional features beyond content sharing. I used Plex for years before I upgraded to the paid Plex pass and there were no content access limitations.
Certain platforms required a plex pass (paid) to be able to use the client software. Xbox was one of those early on, no idea if that changed.

If you aren't running a plex server, or sharing content with another user, how are you using the software? I'm pretty sure being able to use someone elses content required a plex pass.

Plex pass info

First time i went to the website in a few years, but there are certain features like hardware transcoding and access to shared content that require a plex pass.

theHFIC

Certain platforms required a plex pass (paid) to be able to use the client software. Xbox was one of those early on, no idea if that changed.

If you aren't running a plex server, or sharing content with another user, how are you using the software? I'm pretty sure being able to use someone elses content required a plex pass.

Plex pass info

First time i went to the website in a few years, but there are certain features like hardware transcoding and access to shared content that require a plex pass.

True on iOS and I believe Android you need to do the one time purchase to unlock all the streaming functions from both your own and friends servers - separate from PlexPass. The Web App on iOS and Android gets around that limitation at the cost of being a web app since some people don't like them and at least on iOS can't be used reliably for background audio streaming. It's worked fine for the people I recommended it to.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to add in - the Plex app has been free for PS3 and PS4 as far as I know the whole time I have been using it. Not sure about what it is on Xbox platform.

Personally I have my own server with content and have been using the PlexPass for the hardware transcoding you mention and for live TV with my OTA antenna. Also Plex now has their own "Live TV" which are basically streams of different TV shows with some adds injected in. Some decent shows if you don't mind commercials. I believe this is all accessible in the free tier and if you don't have your own server or access to other servers. But that's about as useful as Crackle in 2020.

I have been looking at Jellyfin as the next move from Plex due to Plex's constant reliance on their own servers for authentication even when viewing content locally. The servers go down infrequently, but when it does happen Plex is useless. Thankfully my NAS has DLNA built in so I can use the PS4 media player in that case when watching from home. I think Plex has a DLNA server built in too but haven't touched it.

Has Sony said anything about their own in house media player for PS5 yet?

Last edited:
Top Bottom