• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Have you considered Mutants and Masterminds? It's an extremely open-ended d20 system, so your group should already be somewhat familiar with how it plays. I ran an anime-style game with it, and my group had a great time with it. There's also very little tactical movement (no attacks of opportunity, for example) and we only used a map to get a general idea of relative positions.

As I've talked to the guy more to get him to elaborate he's basically just talking about setting, it turns out, which is odd because during the original conversation I know he was specifically talking about game mechanics (though that may have just been in contrast to the Dresden game which they've been playing). His last text to me was "Apparently what I'm looking for is a super sci-fi setting with a 4e ruleset," which doesn't sound much like what the original conversation was about to me. Oh well, ::shrug::, it was always just kind of a side conversation that I took off and ran with anyway.

To your actual question I've seen a fair number of Mutants and Masterminds books for sale at Half Price Books over the years, always thought about picking some up but never actually have.

On a related topic, looks like the group is moving back to D&D 4th edition. I've been very out of the whole PnP gaming mindset for quite a while anyway, having not played any of the various games my regular group has been playing and instead have just kind of been hanging out with my laptop in the background, but I'm thinking that maybe I could get out of my funk by just doing a search for what people consider to be the most blatantly overpowered 4e race/class combination and jumping in with that. :D Suggestions would be appreciated, but no rogues as that's already been done in our group.

dude

dude
As I've talked to the guy more to get him to elaborate he's basically just talking about setting, it turns out, which is odd because during the original conversation I know he was specifically talking about game mechanics (though that may have just been in contrast to the Dresden game which they've been playing). His last text to me was "Apparently what I'm looking for is a super sci-fi setting with a 4e ruleset," which doesn't sound much like what the original conversation was about to me. Oh well, ::shrug::, it was always just kind of a side conversation that I took off and ran with anyway.

To your actual question I've seen a fair number of Mutants and Masterminds books for sale at Half Price Books over the years, always thought about picking some up but never actually have.

On a related topic, looks like the group is moving back to D&D 4th edition. I've been very out of the whole PnP gaming mindset for quite a while anyway, having not played any of the various games my regular group has been playing and instead have just kind of been hanging out with my laptop in the background, but I'm thinking that maybe I could get out of my funk by just doing a search for what people consider to be the most blatantly overpowered 4e race/class combination and jumping in with that. :D Suggestions would be appreciated, but no rogues as that's already been done in our group.

Well, why won't he just make up a setting himself? It doesn't have to be super detailed if he's using common tropes.

In another note:
We just had the first session of our new AD&D campaign, after the previous one died with the GM moving. I'm again reminded how superior AD&D is. I mean, sure, Thac0 is a headache and it's an example of un-modern design... But the gaming experience is much better nonetheless. Words cannot express how glad I am to not deal with feats or skills...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Not an expert by any means, but Polearm Momentum Fighter is always pretty fun; Dragonborn, Minotaur, Goliath, Half-Orc... a lot of choices work (Warforged and Thri-Keen as well but naturally they're a bit more setting dependent!).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not an expert by any means, but Polearm Momentum Fighter is always pretty fun; Dragonborn, Minotaur, Goliath, Half-Orc... a lot of choices work (Warforged and Thri-Keen as well but naturally they're a bit more setting dependent!).

We're more of a "make up any character you want and we'll shoehorn them into the campaign" type of group. I actually had a warforged polearm fighter that I used for a session or two along with having a thri-kreen in the party. Our adventuring happens in Generica, not any particular setting.

Look what I discovered:

image.jpg

ibfUEaUdNe8fYA.jpg

Everything stays in its compartment no matter how much you shake it up. The little space parallel to the dice makes a nice little dice rolling box.

Danoss

DriveThruRPG has an awesome TableTop Day Free Bundle.

Altus Adventum Primer
Brass & Steel Quickstart: The Case of the Croquet Mallet
Conspiracy X 2.0 - Introductory Game Kit
Dresden Files RPG Casefile: Neutral Grounds
FirstFable
H1 Keep on the Shadowfell & Quick-Start Rules (4e)
Legacy of Disaster
Leverage: The Quickstart Job
Little Fears Nightmare Edition
Mistborn Adventure Game Primer
Nightmare on Hill Manor
Outbreak: Undead - Quick Start Guide
Parsely #1: Action Castle
Qin: The Warring States free demo kit
Rogue Trader Forsaken Bounty - Quickstart
Savage Worlds: Test Drive
Scion: Hero
Shadowrun: Quick-Start Rules (Free RPG Day 2012)
Station Zero: The Abusement Park, a Maschine Zeit Toolkit
The Esoterrorists

A lot of RPG goodness right there.

androvsky

I keep forgetting to mention this since dude pointed me to this topic, but a friend of my wife has started a Kickstarter for an RPG system he designed. It's called Dimensions, and he's going for the grand unification of genres route (fantasy, sci-fi, anime, etc).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/235897062/dimensions-pen-and-paper-role-playing-system
Basically all he's looking for is $13,000 so he can publish a hardcover book with lots of artwork, sounds like he's got everything else worked out. I'm not much of a PnP player any more, but one feature that did stand out to me is he's got social combat built in so bards and diplomats can fight using die rolls like everyone else, but in a non-violent way.

At the bottom he does have a FAQ where he talks about how it's different from GURPS, which answers the biggest question I had since the Kickstarter went up.

Website here: http://dimensionsrps.com/

I need to rant about a terrible game I am involved in right now.

The setting is a shit one, as we serve on a pirate ship. The captain and first mate are overpowered NPCs who started at around level ~10-12 in a game where the players started at level 1. We basically had no freedom and were railroaded. Our only options being "listen to these asshole NPCs or die."

The DM employs critical successes and failures on skill checks as a house rule. What this means, is that an olympic athlete could lose to a crippled child with terminal cancer 1/10 times. This is because the child can win with a natural 20 on his roll, or the athlete could lose on a roll of 1. Modifiers do not matter.

The DM requires skill checks for things such as seeing someone right in front of your face.

We have found very little gold. We have to go weeks before finding any loot, and most of the loot is geared towards the party fighter. A lot of our loot is also taken by the two NPCs and we get a very small portion of gold.

The party fighter got a character sheet with all stats either 18 or 16. I had to roll randomly for stats. The party monk had to roll randomly, then got some homebrew werewolf template that has stats in the mid 20s.

Our main method of travel is by ship. The DM does not do fast travel. Boat trips may take days in-game time, and that translates to 2-3 hours in real time. Doing nothing. He says this is a chance to talk amongst ourselves in-character and develop relations. This doesn't take the 2-3 hours of time, and most of the NPCs are awful and not worth talking to as talking to any of them incurs a potential chance of them pickpocketing you.

For a time the DM required spellcraft checks to make your spell work... that isn't even the use of spellcraft.

The DM does not allow the "take 10" or "take 20" rules.

DM threw us all in prison for a session. I thought I could use my magic to escape but all the cells were anti-magic despite the cost of such a thing likely being huge. I'd have been fine with this but we sat in prison cells doing NOTHING for 2.5 hours REAL TIME.

The DM uses a DM screen and I'm almost positive he flubbs the rolls entirely to our detriment. This is just a personal dislike of mine. I think DM screens are terrible for a game. Anyway, we started a battle and most the enemies missed or did crap damage. Suddenly out of nowhere they start making every single check and dealing high amounts of damage. Apparently coming up with a good plan warrants the DM to up the difficulty mid-battle. It would be asinine to actually reward us for having superior power and tactics!

In game, the first mate of the ship is married to a player I'll refer to as H. The first mate has been helping us fight for most of our battles. The DM decided that was enough, but can't come up with any real justification for him not helping us anymore. This leads to ridiculous shit such as H almost dying and being surrounded by 5 fucking people and a giant celestial bison and the first mate being too concerned over a fin he thought he saw in the water to help. Gee, what a good husband. Oh and he married her due to the effects of a love potion and otherwise is borderline obsessive about her safety. But once a battle props up she can die for all he cares.

There are only 2 other players involved, so if I walk he'll either need to find a 3rd player (and most of the other players have quit) or the game will end. Either way I likely won't be invited back after this campaign ends as I have voiced by annoyance at his rules. I think I might just walk from this game and say fuck it. Wish I had done it a lot sooner though.

dude

dude
I need to rant about a terrible game I am involved in right now.

The setting is a shit one, as we serve on a pirate ship. The captain and first mate are overpowered NPCs who started at around level ~10-12 in a game where the players started at level 1. We basically had no freedom and were railroaded. Our only options being "listen to these asshole NPCs or die."

The DM employs critical successes and failures on skill checks as a house rule. What this means, is that an olympic athlete could lose to a crippled child with terminal cancer 1/10 times. This is because the child can win with a natural 20 on his roll, or the athlete could lose on a roll of 1. Modifiers do not matter.

The DM requires skill checks for things such as seeing someone right in front of your face.

We have found very little gold. We have to go weeks before finding any loot, and most of the loot is geared towards the party fighter. A lot of our loot is also taken by the two NPCs and we get a very small portion of gold.

The party fighter got a character sheet with all stats either 18 or 16. I had to roll randomly for stats. The party monk had to roll randomly, then got some homebrew werewolf template that has stats in the mid 20s.

Our main method of travel is by ship. The DM does not do fast travel. Boat trips may take days in-game time, and that translates to 2-3 hours in real time. Doing nothing. He says this is a chance to talk amongst ourselves in-character and develop relations. This doesn't take the 2-3 hours of time, and most of the NPCs are awful and not worth talking to as talking to any of them incurs a potential chance of them pickpocketing you.

For a time the DM required spellcraft checks to make your spell work... that isn't even the use of spellcraft.

The DM does not allow the "take 10" or "take 20" rules.

DM threw us all in prison for a session. I thought I could use my magic to escape but all the cells were anti-magic despite the cost of such a thing likely being huge. I'd have been fine with this but we sat in prison cells doing NOTHING for 2.5 hours REAL TIME.

The DM uses a DM screen and I'm almost positive he flubbs the rolls entirely to our detriment. This is just a personal dislike of mine. I think DM screens are terrible for a game. Anyway, we started a battle and most the enemies missed or did crap damage. Suddenly out of nowhere they start making every single check and dealing high amounts of damage. Apparently coming up with a good plan warrants the DM to up the difficulty mid-battle. It would be asinine to actually reward us for having superior power and tactics!

In game, the first mate of the ship is married to a player I'll refer to as H. The first mate has been helping us fight for most of our battles. The DM decided that was enough, but can't come up with any real justification for him not helping us anymore. This leads to ridiculous shit such as H almost dying and being surrounded by 5 fucking people and a giant celestial bison and the first mate being too concerned over a fin he thought he saw in the water to help. Gee, what a good husband. Oh and he married her due to the effects of a love potion and otherwise is borderline obsessive about her safety. But once a battle props up she can die for all he cares.

There are only 2 other players involved, so if I walk he'll either need to find a 3rd player (and most of the other players have quit) or the game will end. Either way I likely won't be invited back after this campaign ends as I have voiced by annoyance at his rules. I think I might just walk from this game and say fuck it. Wish I had done it a lot sooner though.

Sounds like a horrible DM. not all of what he's doing is bad, but the way he's running is game sounds horrible. For example, giving players a time to bond and build relationships is good, but you need to have the player at a place where they want to know each other (after a few sessions for example) and if they're not doing it or it end you need to know to cut to something interesting.

I think you should quit the game. Time is precious and there's no reason to waste it on bad campaigns which cause more annoyances than they do fun.

ultron87

You either need to have a long hard talk with the DM or just quit. Your relationship with the DM outside of the game should decide which one you pick. That sounds absolutely dreadful. "Sit here for two hours and do nothing but talk! I demand it!"

Mike M

Nick N
My group is meeting tomorrow after a many-month hiatus (Haven't been able to align schedules since November). When last we met, my character had inadvertently just set off a race war with the Drow. Oops.

Now the DM has had six months to plot how that will come back to haunt us all.

Woorloog

Banned
My group is meeting tomorrow after a many-month hiatus (Haven't been able to align schedules since November). When last we met, my character had inadvertently just set off a race war with the Drow. Oops.

Now the DM has had six months to plot how that will come back to haunt us all.

Funny, same here. We played early January last time... tomorrow (well, technically today, 3am local time) we finally continue.
I've forgotten what has happened and the long break has killed all my interest in the game (homebrew rules and setting).

Mike M

Nick N
Funny, same here. We played early January last time... tomorrow (well, technically today, 3am local time) we finally continue.
I've forgotten what has happened and the long break has killed all my interest in the game (homebrew rules and setting).
Similar situation for me, my DM's game is so home brewed as to be practically unrecognizeable as D&D outside of creatures and spell lists.

We always have a blast though, the DM totally rolls with whatever we end up doing. I hate RPing a game where there's just a set script the person running it has in mind and the players can't practically deviate from.

Vagabundo

Last session of Star Wars
Dawn of Defiance
. I had the PC's face of against each other, it was a illusion, the characters thought they saw an (sometimes dead) enemy.

They didn't question it too much. They talked a little about how it was an illusion, but, in typical SW style, they just kept blasting. They didnt notice that the damage they did was exactly the same as the damage done later by the "enemy". I kept dropping hints, but it never clicked with them until the Ewok Jedi dropped.

Players hate when you mess with them like that. Still I had fun and that's all that matters ;D.

Woorloog

Banned
EDIT header: Yeah, formating sucks. At least i got this stuff out of my head. EDIT also, don't misunderstand. We had a lot of fun. GM's good, there's good amount of roleplaying compared to mechanics and there's crazy fun stuff.

So, yeah.
That's how our session left me feeling. Oh, it was fun but it was also kinda disturbing. Player antics that is.

Might be long. Will be long. I want to get this out of my head. Might be a bit hard to follow but i write this more for myself. Hopefully someone gets a laugh out of it or something.

Some backround:

Our current campaign has run for over 10 sessions (closer to 15?), 10 is about how long our previous games have lasted. No idea why we've stuck with this so long. Hell, i've made only two characters, in the previous campaign i burned through 3 or 4 characters. Group is 4 players and the GM.
Our GM is studying to be a priest (though he is very relaxed about religion really), which can be seen in the game world, which is dominated by religions. We, the players, are all atheists... and that too can be seen in the game. Actually pretty funny and interesting setting, my friends really try to play more religious characters (atheism in-universe is punishable by death). Try.
The setting is somewhat inspired by Gothic video-game series. Our GM's a fan of the first two entries.
Our enemies are a faction of "Templars", who want to return old nearly extinct proto-humans back to power. Jerkasses all of them, proto-humans and templars both, we gladly kill them. Templars have some positive traits when it comes to governing conquered territories but the masters they serve are beyond redemption. Quite black-and-white though the world is other was full of gray-and-gray-morality.

The world is homebrewn high fantasy though it lacks demi-human races (there were orcs in the past though). Unfortunately our characters interests do not go along with the larger epic plot happening in the backround, we cross roads with powerful mages and leaders often but mostly we try to survive. And somehow get lost in adventures that have no point whatsoever.

Game system is also homebrewn. Uses d20 die as primary die, no relation to d20 system though. There are some issues with the system i think are inherent in it, while our GM has tweaked the system, we aren't going to switch to another (developing another system takes too much time and testing). Primary problems are that our characters have too much horizontal growth (more powers and abilities) but not so much vertical growth: our skills, powers and abilities don't get better really, instead enemies get weaker compared to ours. Ironically we have easier time dealing with "bosses" than with weak mooks, today my character almost died in a 4 versus 1 fight (well, from friendly fire (literally fire) but that's beside the point, one of us had to use a powerful attack to deal with one shitty guard)...

Characters are (using DnD moral alignments though we don't use them in-game):
-Lawful-good fire mage (in-universe priest of largest religion) who has been declared a saint (prestige class, so to speak), has some jerkass tendencies but really tries to be good priest. I'll shorten him to T.
-Another mage, a priest of another religion whose element is water/frost. Started as archealogist and a mage but somehow he managed to become a "death mage", essentially someone delivering souls from the world to afterlife. Too complex to explain here. His alignment? Chaotic-jerkass would be closest. He is not evil BUT he is rather self-serving and has constantly insult and jape about things. And do other questionable things. Let's call him A.
Oh and A is quite surely a sociopath. I'll explain later. The character, not the player.
-Good rogue archer and smuggler, who insists on melee fighting too often. Serves the water religion, underworld connections are supposedly useful. She's called C for this.
-My characters: First one is (currently not with party) is a mercenary barbarian (Ch), chaotic evil would describe him well though he rarely does anything outright evil than killing for money. Second one, currently in party, neutral-good melee-oriented "mage" using spirit-magic. Freelancer, artifact hunter. (H)

We're currently "mid-level" characters i'd say, seems like our GM has planned one more step for us in the future but i doubt we get there.

So, the session more or less begins with A dying. And soon after again. Good thing we've got powerful mages (our GM likes magic and mages) around and A gets returned to life. Not a resurrection strictly speaking, just getting returned to life.
I reckon our GM was trying to punish A for his past... transgressions but not sure.
We get some magic items. Our GM is pretty open handed with those though they're also rather pointless most of the time, being too powerful for simple situations, and in more dangerous situations we get through by blind luck usually, before anyone is willing to use carefully hoarded magic items, which usually don't suit the situation anyway.
First combat: T gets lucky and absorbs additional energy to his holy war axe. This bites us in the ass later on. While our wounded enemy templar is crawling away, i decide to finish him off, despite T, being a saint, having judged the enemy to live BUT forcing him to repent by running but the enemy crawls due to leg wounds.
What happens?
Well, a few sessions earlier my character H had drunk a strange potion, made with blood magic. We got the potion from a powerful blood mage who challenged us to a practice duel, which ended up with mopping floor with him (the guy was really powerful), but repeated hits to left thigh (location roll 13) immobilized him and apparently killed him due to blood loss (ironic isn't it, blood mage dead from blood loss). Anyway, what we didn't know the potion was a phylactery.
Yeah, H drank a phylactery, and became one himself. And there being a suitable body just in front of me, the... essence expels itself from H's body (H vomited blood on the body) to our defeated enemy, healing it and taking control of it. Instead of fighting, he offers us a deal which we take, not wanting to fight him since H is near-death and weak from losing so much blood, and there being common enemy around still.
That's not quite the high point for me. I almost died later, as i noted above.
H is weak and stays behind while the rest hunt the final enemy around.
Oh they kill him but T almost kills C with a powerful attack, which triggered a special power from his holy war axe. The attack misses both the enemy and C very slightly but blinds them both temporarily. He managed to split also three big threes neatly.
The enemy panics and self-destructs (magical overload of his weapons, not the first time this happened...), nearly killing C and T.

So, next we travel to a town. Bridge guards don't want let us cross a bridge to the town (something about a rebellion) but our rogue is persuasive and the guards let us to walk over the damn long bridge, where two petty guards won't let us in and our rogue can't persuade them. So we throw one guard over to water below and start killing the other one.
All of us fail a couple of round but the guard being a mook doesn't damage us either really.
So, T gets annoyed and attacks with the same strong "wave" (ranged) attack from his holy war axe... and my character H is within the firing lane. Guess what T rolls? He triggers the special power of the weapon in addition to the strong attack. He also misses the guard.
In fact, he misses very badly. He rolled 1. He has tendency to do that.
T rolls again. Not good. The axe slips from his hand... towards H. I face wrong way and get only 1d6 chance to dodge... versus T's 17 or something like that.
At this point my brother saves me once again with his female rogue's fate manipulation roll (H once nearly lost an arm before, saved by the same trick), and the axe flies through the gate, dealing a lot of damage.
The gate-guards claimed a plague in the city but we went there anyway... and found there was really a plague there. We also figured out that templars controlling the town had healing crystals that we could steal, force them out of the town, and the plague's creator would likely cure it from the surviving town's people.

Unfortunately by this time it starts to be late and we're tired.

What actually happens? While we're waiting for an oppoturnity for something i don't think we even knew, someone gets this genius idea of flipping a magical coin. A coin that opens a portal to a magical item should it land twice in row on its edge (two 20s in a row, though via boosts 17-20 are viable numbers if our rogue flips it). A coin that spawns skeletons if lands the wrong side up.
T who holds the coin objects as skeletons might draw unwanted attention and questions. Wise, no?
A is impatient though, and decides to take the coin to flip it. So, when T is sleeping, A starts searching him... and T wakes up. This doesn't stop A... who continues, eh, groping T.
Yeah, the "searching" looks quite a bit like A groping T, indeed it looks like A (both the player and his character) look like they're enjoying that.
T retaliates with magic that draws A's mind into T's, to a "virtual reality". (Previously he has tried to challenge us to a duel in his mind, noting that there we don't have to hold back. We've refused before because we don't trust him not having home-field advantage).
Bad idea, for T succeeds.
They both are in T's mind. T intends to teach a lesson to A by beating him to death (it is virtual afterall). What does A do? He shits. He understood it is a "dream", and that he is in T's mind. He shits. Unlimitedly, for it is not reality as such. T does beat A to death... which means A is in coma. T got nightmares, he still hasn't managed to roll a successful forgeting spell.
Did i mention that somewhat earlier A had managed to piss off a dragon.
The dragon's messenger comes back, nearly drowns A and sends him crashing through a window and to a door. Inkeeper wasn't happy. Luckily this woke up A... and he gets away with being jerkass to T and to the dragon. And got a crafting item for an artifact.

So, sexual assault, attemtept thievery, sort-of mind rape, and pissing off an ancient, powerful dragon. A is a lucky bastard to get away with that. Despite being a priest of sorts.
And this is not the first time he has done something crazy.
A began as sort of Indiana Jones, if IJ were a mage and a priest. At some point he began to transform to a jerkass. Hell, he even attracted an attention from Joker-like independend chaos mage whose origins are a mystery, he nearly became his apprentive, BUT A PISSED HIM OFF AS WELL!
First time we saw the Big Bad? A mooned at him. This left a rather large crater to where we were.. luckily "Joker" saved us for he wanted A alive.
Second time? He mouthed off at the big bad... and got his balls chopped off and fed to rats. And then get transformed into a dragon temporarily and got raped by another dragon. A laughed it off. I reckon A is a masochist in addition to being a sociopath.
He later got his balls back from "Joker", as a result of a bet (we had to hit Joker despite GM deciding the rolls for him, and we managed that because GM chose him to roll 25 in total or so, and our rogue got a critical hit (with no damage but all we had to do was to hit "Joker"). The party could have chosen a favor or item or something but they went with A's balls. I hope we get to chop them off later again.

And this is merely the tip of the iceberg... so many crazy things we've done...
So, yeah. Player antics are crazy, fun but also kinda disturbing. A's player is a nice guy really, and he is faithful to his character's personalities. This character is just kinda crazy. I don't think A is really a human, way too sociapathic to be one. "Joker" and the Big Bad are more human than him, despite being demi-gods in power.
At least A doesn't like player versus player fights. I dislike PVP in PnP RPGs a lot. I don't like intra-party conflict either really, tension is okay but anything more is too distracting. Like sexual assaults.

A few weeks till next session.
Luckily there isn't much A can do anymore to top himself... OTOH, he doesn't care. Hopefully our GM has cooked something dramatic with loot and monsters, that would keep A from mischief.

Sounds like a horrible DM. not all of what he's doing is bad, but the way he's running is game sounds horrible. For example, giving players a time to bond and build relationships is good, but you need to have the player at a place where they want to know each other (after a few sessions for example) and if they're not doing it or it end you need to know to cut to something interesting.

I think you should quit the game. Time is precious and there's no reason to waste it on bad campaigns which cause more annoyances than they do fun.

I have tried talking. He somewhat conceded and gave us a modicum amount of fast travel.

However I cannot get him to accept that critical success and failure on skill rolls is a bad thing. A sickly cancer patent should not be able to beat Micheal Phelps in a race 10% of the time. It is asinine, and I don't care if DND is meant to be unrealistic.

What I did not think of at the time, and what I will offer as a compromise (though I KNOW it will be shot down) is that if we roll a 20 or 1 on a skill check then roll a percentage die. A 1% chance of auto failing or succeeding would be fine. Otherwise you default to modifiers.

If the DM doesn't want us to use NPCS in battle, then have them knocked out by magical sleeping gas by some diety. I dont care how asinine the reason is. Just don't have the NPC basically go: "Hmm what is more important? That fin I saw in the water or the life of a woman I am madly in love with? Hmm the fin!"

I also think DM screens are horrible and promote a DM vs player attitude. But that might me a minority belief. Though I don't find it at all outrageous to suggest that the DM was cheating when at the start of the battle all the enemies hardly ever made their skill checks, and then magically made their skill checks every single attack towards the end right when we were nearing victory.

The DM also tried justifying the "roll to see people in front of your face thing" as "what if you were trying to notice things about them, or see their shadows before they were directly in front of your face?" Essentially playing my character for me and dictating my actions. If he wanted me to roll for that he should have stated that, and let me decide if I wanted to bother trying for them.

Woorloog

Banned
I have tried talking. He somewhat conceded and gave us a modicum amount of fast travel.

I also think DM screens are horrible and promote a DM vs player attitude. But that might me a minority belief.

If i had a GM like that, i'd just say i quit unless he changes some things. Even if we were friends. But them i'm blunt person, usually.

DM screens are sometimes really useful, there are rolls that players shouldn't see. Also allows fudging, which can go either way, but if the GM is good, it is usually for the better.

Certain amount of GM vs players can be a good thing, if it stays as competition of sorts. Especially if crazy stuff is norm, and trying to come up with crazier stuff usually makes things even more fun.
Also, i think players should not always succeed, in combat or otherwise. Players should be also sometimes forced to retreat and admit defeat (for roleplaying reasons, characters become Mary Sues if they are infallible), strict enforcement of some rules and really tough encounters (combat or not) can make that happen. But also require willingness from the GM to beat his or her players.
Of course this depends very much on how the group works... our group could use a defeat or two, along with admissions of fault and more flawed characters in meaningful ways (not just greedy or jerkasses, for such things are easily overlooked by GMs, at least in our group). EDIT unfortunately defeat tends to mean total party kill too often.

I need to run Tomb of Horrors someday. I have killer GM tendencies.

EDIT also, GMs, what kind of GMs are you?
I'm a good world builder (well, imaginative anyway), love desiging systems (that are never finished by the game starts...). Unfortunately i don't care about characters much and i'm not good at designing those. I also detest acting them, i'm not good with multiple characters.
Also i can be too merciless, needing constantly to check myself. Let the players to live to fight another day...

Mike M

Nick N
Well my character died today, but I'm OK with it because apparently I'm back as a Spectre, building an army of minions by sucking out their life force, acting in direct opposition to another PC who's amassing an army of vampires and shit.

Someday, I really need to play a "serious" session with some people...

If i had a GM like that, i'd just say i quit unless he changes some things. Even if we were friends. But them i'm blunt person, usually.

DM screens are sometimes really useful, there are rolls that players shouldn't see. Also allows fudging, which can go either way, but if the GM is good, it is usually for the better.

Also, i think players should not always succeed, in combat or otherwise. Players should be also sometimes forced to retreat and admit defeat (for roleplaying reasons, characters become Mary Sues if they are infallible), strict enforcement of some rules and really tough encounters (combat or not) can make that happen. But also require willingness from the GM to beat his or her players.

I really disagree about DM screens. A DM could flub the rolls if he felt it would make for a better story without the screen. Making us roll the dice when you have an outcome in mind is just adding fake drama. I'd rather my DM be honest. If the enemy rolls a fatal crit and the DM doesnt want it, then tell the players. Hiding behind a screen is just stupid.

I also don't think that players should always succeed. I never said that. But do you really think someone with a +30 modifier in jump should lose a jumping contest to a crippled child on crutches 10% of the time? That's asinine. If you don't want the players to succeed then throw challenges at them that their skill set isn't completely tailored to. Making every action have a 10% auto failure chance regardless of modifers is something I will never accept as good for the game.

I also would not mind failure if it came from honest rolls. But when a DM hides behind a screen and out of nowhere the weak enemies who couldn't touch you at the start now being hitting 100% of the time and dodging 100% of spell effects, you have to wonder whether or not that failure came about naturally or was manufactured by the DM. If the party manages to steamroll an encounter you created, it is bad manners to magically and instantly up the difficulty. Let them have their victory.

I did not take our last in-game failure quite well because of the magical difficulty uping, the NPCs having piss-poor reasons for not helping, and the fact that we've been playing second fiddle to other NPCs the entire game. We've been robbed of all our power and basically been forced to follow overpowered NPC after overpowered NPC. Heavy railroading makes victories hollow, and failures all the more frustrating. And my DM would deny he is railroading us by some stupid logic of "we have the choice of leaving the designated mission, but then we'd have nothing to do in the world since I only set up one plotline."

wow its been awhile since I posted in here or played anything. whats the consensus on the Fantasy Flight Star Wars roleplaying game? My group wants to get into some role playing again.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I really disagree about DM screens. A DM could flub the rolls if he felt it would make for a better story without the screen. Making us roll the dice when you have an outcome in mind is just adding fake drama. I'd rather my DM be honest. If the enemy rolls a fatal crit and the DM doesnt want it, then tell the players. Hiding behind a screen is just stupid.

That's what it pretty much comes down to, trust. Screen or not.

It sounds like your DM is pretty obstinate and set in his ways... which is the worse kind of DM.

So I was thinking of trying my hand at one of these. Was going to ask for Dragon Age Set 1 for my bday in July. Chose that because I've played the video game so I'm familiar with the setting and I watched Tabletop's playing of it and it seemed like fun. Anyone here tried it and if so, did you like it?

In a couple of weeks I'm GMing my first game (and playing my first game). It will be Pathfinder, the Rise of the Runelords adventure path. The adventure paths are designed for 4 players using a 15-point buy system. Since the AP is supposed to be tough with that set up, and all my players so far are first timers, I'm doing a 20-point buy system. Here is what I know about the party:

1. Human Witch (Hedge Witch - healing focus)
2. Human Paladin
3. Vanara Monk (Treetop Monk)
4. Gunslinger (most likely)

So does anyone have any advice for dealing with these classes? I want a good challenge for them where they could possibly get TPK'd, but would have time to foresee this and flee if they are smart enough about it. There are none of the Fab Four here (wizard/cleric/fighter/rogue) but it seems balanced. I'm a bit thankful as an inexperienced GM that I don't have a Wizard (aka the DnD GameShark) to worry about. Also I hope the presence of a Paladin will stave off the in-game asshattery I'm sure these people are capable of.

I also may have 2 more players join who are experienced in DnD, and the Gunslinger listed may not play. So i'll end up with anything from 3 players to 6. If its 3 then i'll throw in an NPC character to help them (except for when a story NPC can tag along for a while). I don't know whether to make the NPC GM-controlled with no real story presence, or give it to one of the players. I also don't know what to pick; my go-to choice was a simple and dumb sword-n-board fighter to tank for them, but I don't really know what would best compliment the above group while still taking a background role in the fighting. I also don't know if 20-point buy is problematic with up to 6 players, because ideally I'd like to run the encounters with as little extra balancing work as possible.

I also want to highlight the collab we did on the Witch character.

He's a traveling Gypsy/Roma type of character, plying his trade from town to town. He encounters the type of apprehension/prejudice that you'd expect for a Gypsy or witch, and is happy to heal those who seek his help, or use his magic to frighten rude children or rig his cup/card games for profit. His weasel familar is also keen to help discreetly lighten the pockets of his audience.

He will also be laying lands on people using his MOUSTACHE with the witch's prehensile hair ability. o_O

JulianImp

I've began playing D&D 3.5 with a small group at the same store where I play Magic: the Gathering. I built an athletic lawful good rogue who specializes in disguise, acting and deceit, and is currently pretending to be a foreign court member. The problem is it seems the campaing we're playing is mostly combat-focused, so I'll have to try and get the most out of whichever non-combat situations we get.

Our first session was fairly short and consisted of us being ambushed in the night by some lizardmen who were mind-controlled by something, and that thing controlling a fairly powerful NPC paladin who was guiding us. The two barbarians in our party already were in berserk mode by then, so rather than restrain him they proceeded to beat him senseless (but our cleric was able to stabilize him). This course of events put the two barbarians on bad terms with our cleric and wizard (who, incidentally, was the paladin's nephew).

During combat, I pretended I was a simple civilian and stuck to talking with them and trying to convince them not to go towards the battlefield, but when one of them rushed out I was forced to sneak aroudn the shadows and try a sneak attack with my dagger against another possessed NPC to defend one of the two only sane ones.

...I rolled 1, so I proceeded to miss the possessed NPC and incapacitated our ally instead. The berserker barbarian then proceeded to wreck the remaining possessed NPCs before I could attempt a second attack.

Once the battle was over, I checked our incapacitated allies while stealing just a few gold coins from one's pocket, but later on I realized I should have done that, so I'll be giving returning them as soon as I can.

Tomorrow we'll visit a town, so I guess that's when I'll be able to do some more useful stuff.

I also want to highlight the collab we did on the Witch character.

He's a traveling Gypsy/Roma type of character, plying his trade from town to town. He encounters the type of apprehension/prejudice that you'd expect for a Gypsy or witch, and is happy to heal those who seek his help, or use his magic to frighten rude children or rig his cup/card games for profit. His weasel familar is also keen to help discreetly lighten the pockets of his audience.

He will also be laying lands on people using his MOUSTACHE with the witch's prehensile hair ability. o_O

I love everything about this.

Woorloog

Banned
Those who play with homebrewn systems, do your system have character classes or free development (take whatever skills, powers, abilities, etc. you want)?

Riposte

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130422

Mearls talks about "D&D Next", going over the design philosophy of feats, skills, and classes. Usually doesn't talk in this much detail. Anyway, I'll just quote the very brief summary at the end:

All characters gain a +1 bonus to an ability score of their choice at various levels, depending on the class.

You can trade a +1 bonus to an ability score for a feat if your group uses feats.
*In other words, feats are optional and don't appear in the basic game.

Skills are an optional system that your DM might want to use.
*Skills are optional and don't appear in the basic game.

Backgrounds give out a combination of areas of knowledge, proficiencies with tools and objects, and special benefits.
*An area of knowledge is a situational, +10 bonus to Intelligence checks.
*A proficiency indicates you know how to use an item.
*The unique benefits are social connections, tricks, and other abilities.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130422

Mearls talks about "D&D Next", going over the design philosophy of feats, skills, and classes. Usually doesn't talk in this much detail. Anyway, I'll just quote the very brief summary at the end:

The more that comes out about this framework of a game, the more I'll be avoiding it. There will be no common idea of what DnD is this edition. Seems such a design cop out to me. =(

Riposte

The more that comes out about this framework of a game, the more I'll be avoiding it. There will be no common idea of what DnD is this edition. Seems such a design cop out to me. =(

I'm not sure what "common idea" means exactly. For example, how is avoiding bonus inflation in all areas not a common idea?

I'm not sure what "common idea" means exactly. For example, how is avoiding bonus inflation in all areas not a common idea?

Avoiding the big numbers is great. That's not what I'm talking about. Everything is fucking optional now.

Every table will be playing a different version. there will be no consensus of what DnD is. Skills? Backgrounds? Feats?

Its all now a crap shoot, and I can't know what set any table is using to see if that's what I I'd prefer without quizzing them. There so few gaming groups now to join. If they're not playing the set I like, I'm doubly fucked.

Mearls, make a fucking decision and set the course. This is weakass design IMO.

Riposte

I could see weaknesses in it, I just thought that was a weird way to put it. DnD being modular as its essential trait isn't really off-putting to me, because I've always played it that way. Always house ruled the hell out of it and made it my own.

I think it is somewhat clever how they are trying to balance feats with ability score increases. The thing is, I don't know how well it will work out. Feats will have to be really strong (and complex) to be worthwhile.

If they balance the game around the "advanced" game and that contains all of what you want, I don't really see the problem.

I could see weaknesses in it, I just thought that was a weird way to put it. DnD being modular as its essential trait isn't really off-putting to me, because I've always played it that way. Always house ruled the hell out of it and made it my own.

I think it is somewhat clever how they are trying to balance feats with ability score increases. The thing is, I don't know how well it will work out. Feats will have to be really strong (and complex) to be worthwhile.

If they balance the game around the "advanced" game and that contains all of what you want, I don't really see the problem.

The only problem would kinda be what I mentioned. Finding a group that played that ruleset. This is ultimately a divisive edition IMO. I pray I'm wrong for the sake of RPGs. A strong DnD = a strong industry.

So I had a friend whom I usually GM solo campaigns for ask why I don't let him GM the game he used to run for me. Now, being me, I just flat out told him because his world is interesting but he sucks as a GM. Of course he fires back about how I am an awful player that misses "clues" all the time. I'll spare the drama and just get to what my issues with his game were.

Ok, so its a sort of post-apoc world set in the midwest U.S. After WWIII the states had broken up into several different nations, I was in some sort of redneck republic. To make things more interesting critters like werewolves and vampires had begun to appear, in addition to mysterious immortal "Highlander" type characters.

I liked the idea of being a black-trenchcoat clad immortal riding a harley chugging a beer in one hand while swinging a katana in the other, so I went with being a sort of Highlander mercenary currently in the employ of a local vampire lord. Since my friend mentioned he wanted a lot of Mad-Max/Car Wars type action I maxed out skills like Driving and became a sort of transporter of illicit goods for the vampires.

At first things were kind of fun. Imagine Grand Theft Auto, but with rednecks, supernatural creatures, and cars with machine guns that flipped out of the hoods.

After doing several missions to gain the trust of the vampire lord I had hoped to move on from basic "Go here, pick up these drugs, deliver them there" type of missions. The entire time leading up I had made it clear I wanted to do more than just being a delivery boy. So I finally make the "Big Delivery", which ended up costing my character nearly all he owned to complete (lost all my gear, vehicles, home burned down, money, and even my life a couple times). Upon return to my employer did I finally get "in" to the organization? Nope. More deliveries. This was after months of sessions. We stopped playing for like a year after that because I refused to do more of the exact same thing, as it was getting stale. He insisted there was a bigger plot, but I had seen no sign of one.

Eventually I caved and we picked up the game again. This time my vampire employer wanted me to investigate werewolf activities in the rural areas. Awesome. Something new, no more delivery boy!

So I begin my investigation. Even though my friend had told me that werewolves/vampires were at war with each other, both sides made use of immortal highlanders in the conflict. So the werewolves should have had no reason to be outright hostile upon meeting me the first time right? Wrong. I got attacked on sight when I went to a popular werewolf hangout. Needless to say this was making investigating anything rather difficult.

On top of that, capturing a werewolf alive and getting him to talk proved difficult, they were always in large groups. As luck would have it one day I run into a friendly werewolf drifter who says's he'll help me. Awesome. Except he's exiled from the werewolf clans who attack him on sight. Oh. So much for infiltration. Onwards with several more sessions trying to capture/interrogate a werewolf and failing. We either lose them somehow or they die refusing to talk.

During these multiple failed attempts I kept fishing around asking the vampires for intel/help/clues. All they would say is "Figure it out yourself, we hired you. Try getting one of the werewolves to talk."

After several months of sessions of this, and the GM not giving me any clue where to go or what to do the game began to get stale again. There was a tendency for any time my character seemed to make any sort of progress to end up at rock bottom. This went from following clues to an abandoned farmhouse (that turned out to actually be just a random abandoned farm house) to losing anything nice I picked up equipment-wise, and also dying multiple times (immortal, remember?).

Now, I don't need, want, or like to be railroaded in an adventure as a player. However there is a certain responsibility I feel as a GM to assist players when they are obviously floundering, especially when that floundering is sucking the life out of a otherwise fun game. Just because a clue is obvious for the person that created the mystery doesn't mean the people trying to solve the mystery will see it. If I had been running this game I would have give the player a poke in the right direction after a session or two.

Instead my character ends up derailed on a mini-quest in Kentucky to win a destruction derby with a machine gun mounted on his motorcycle. A series of 20's rolled on the dice later and I win a tricked out Humvee. Cool. Too bad it didn't last half a session and got shot up to pieces beyond repair by a random marauding gang of biker werewolves. I did steal a gigantic military transport truck from them as revenge at least. Still no clues as to "what the werewolves are up to" unless "up to" = "riding around in bands trying to kill a specific character for seemingly no reason".

So, after several more sessions of getting nowhere at all with his "plot' I gave up entirely. While the game had its fun moments here and there, most sessions were just too frustrating and full of fail. Any attempts to do anything that didn't involve stalking around in cornfields looking for werewolves met with hordes of police officers that could somehow one-shot-kill me with a shotgun from 1000 feet away.

All that was about 2 years ago. Now recently the game came up in conversation again, with him wanted me to play. I asked what exactly my character had missed. He said I should have met with the vampire lord himself at his estate (I had always been dealing with a middle-man). I said I tried that and was told "no". Apparently I had failed a diplomacy check. So I never got to go to the estate and have a planned encounter with a vampire adviser that was a traitor or something.

"So....I played through months and months of sessions beating my head against a problem because I had failed a single diplomacy check?"

"No, there were other clues, like that military truck you stole."

"WTF how was that a clue?" I asked.

"Well, if you had looked into it, the truck was stolen from a military base nearby and had been loaded with some missile launchers."

"I don't recall there being anything in the truck like that, I think you said it was empty."

"It was, they had already delivered the missiles somewhere, you were going to have to find out where."

"So let me get this straight, I failed a diplomacy check so I missed a planned encounter that would have given me some clues. So after having months of battles up and down highways with random werewolf gangs riding on motorcycles and driving humvees and pickups you expected me to notice something amiss about them having an empty military transport truck?"

"Yes."

Needless to say, I am not letting him sucker me into playing in his game again.

Woo! I may get to join a Vampire Masquerade game over Internet Relay Chat!

I have the worst luck with DM's it seems.

Apparently I have to state that I'm rolling down the car window to talk to someone outside the car, otherwise the GM will assume that I'm talking to myself and not trying to talk to the person outside the car.

fallengorn

Apparently I have to state that I'm rolling down the car window to talk to someone outside the car, otherwise the GM will assume that I'm talking to myself and not trying to talk to the person outside the car.

Where are you finding these sticklers?

Where are you finding these sticklers?

I don't know. But I mentioned how we did not have to roleplay pressing elevator buttons and she responded "that's not combat." I pointed out how I was trying to avoid combat by using diplomacy, so by her logic I shouldn't have had to roleplay fucking lowering a car window down to talk to someone outside a car. I asked how the fuck she could think I was giving a whole fucking monologue to myself.

She basically called me stupid and said "I'M THE GM!" and then banned me from the channel lol.

Maybe I can try to DM a fucking Fate Core game but I doubt there's enough players IRL.

flyover

It's like your GMs are 80s text adventure parsers.

"Talk to person"
"A window is in the way."
"Roll down window"
"I can't see any 'Roll down window' here."

fallengorn

She basically called me stupid and said "I'M THE GM!" and then banned me from the channel lol.

Maybe I can try to DM a fucking Fate Core game but I doubt there's enough players IRL.

That sucks you got banned. I would've continued to play the entire session within the car. lol

I actually thought about starting up an online game, but I finally got a group going IRL. First game's tomorrow and my other group is playing Saturday. Lots of role-playing this weekend. :D

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I've found myself mostly playing/running online games due to moving around often. Glad you found an IRL one, though- unless it's by voice chat internet games take forever.

Yeah....

Back when I very first started playing DnD we obsessed over details like that.

"Well when you said "we'll cross the river" you didn't specifically state "We will cross the river by walking across the top surface of the bridge two-abreast with weapons drawn and making spot checks for every 5 feet of movement" so don't get mad at me if you all failed your swim checks, the elf drowned, and the rest of you were swept downriver 5 miles because I assumed you just walked straight into the water!"

We also used to obsess over inventories, but ignored weight limits and reality. Wasn't unusual to see characters walking around with 5 suits of chainmail, half a dozen long swords, at least two bows, pots, pans, 11 potatoes, 1lb of flour, Inkeeper Irwins Left Ear, a couple of looted spellbooks, assorted holy symbols, rope, goblin kidneys, twine, flint, steel, tent, bedroll, backpack, vest with pockets (presumbably to hold at least a few of the swords or 100+ arrows) etc.

Even "trail rations" got broken down to how much exactly of each item were in the "rations".

Now I just give out basic stuff for free and assume characters restock those basic items for free every time they go to a town. Not going to nitpick over minor stuff like rope and trail rations that cost a couple gold when the characters are hauling around a kings fortune. Although if they want to add a new "basic" item to their gear they will have to pay for it the first time.

Exceptions to my gear rule are expensive weapons/armor and magical stuff like scrolls and potions. And no, I don't care about how many almonds are in the Elven Granola rations.

Does anyone here use music during game sessions? If so, how and when? What kind of music?

I find music doesn't work as well in practice as it should in theory. Too loud and it becomes obnoxious to talk over. Too soft and everyone forgets it is there. And since most people focus on their actions they likely forget all about it.

I'm mostly talking about IRC, actually! Inane chatter seems to be much more common online than off, and people are more easily distracted.

Can be fixed to some degree with an offtopic chatter channel, and a strict enforcement of "show up within 1 minute of when we ping your name or we skip your action and I DMPC you if needed. "

Woorloog

Banned
I find music doesn't work as well in practice as it should in theory. Too loud and it becomes obnoxious to talk over. Too soft and everyone forgets it is there. And since most people focus on their actions they likely forget all about it.

I was thinking if soft backround music could make something feel better. You know, make something epic feel slightly more epic, or give good backround for a scene where players are in a tavern, or some such.

Our GM did use a music for this one character, and one player adopted it as his "theme". The music did have in-game explanation.

I'm mostly talking about IRC, actually! Inane chatter seems to be much more common online than off, and people are more easily distracted.

I do Pathfinder games on Skype and this is very true. But I play with people all over America, plus two guys not in the US, so we don't have a lot of options.

Top Bottom