• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poachers use cyanide to massacre over 300 elephants in Zimbabwe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
It's kinda sad how even with all of this heartfelt support, elephants and rhinos and tigers are still teetering near extinction. Even in well-guarded parks, rhinos still die due to corrupt officials accepting money from poachers.

Meanwhile, thousands of insect and plant species are going extinct due to habitat destruction and nobody gives a shit. Good luck getting that to stop.

Allforce

Not really on topic but sort of an interesting story. My neighbor is this super nice guy, a real mr fixit and always working on some bizarre project be it restoring motorcycles, designing custom golf carts, building something for somebody.

Anyways, last Friday he's out in the driveway smoothing down what looks like a giant curved PVC pipe. There's dust everywhere and he's using a belt sander and he's wearing a breather. I stop over and as I get closer, I see it's not pipe, he's got like a fucking 12 foot elephant tusk he's sanding down. I ask him what the hell is going on and he tells me some old lady a friend of a friend knows gave it to him, her husband was some big game hunter back in the day when I presume killing this stuff was a-ok before the world got hip to it. The husband is long since passed but there was a fire at their house and the tusk was totally charred, so this woman asked him to restore it for her.

I have no idea how illegal that is to own at this point or if there's a statute of limitations on game trophies but the sheer size of the tusk was incredible. Had a huge crack down the length of it from the fire and he was mounting it on a big circular metal pedestal so it would stand straight up with a natural curve. He was going to put a big leather cuff on the bottom of it.

Sort of sad knowing an elephant was killed but this thing was impressive and nice that the woman was having it restored in honor of her husband.

Jintor

legalise elephant farming, drive down ivory prices, mix it up with harsher punishments for bribe-taking and poaching

ugh

BigDug13

It's sickening for sure.

But a lot of these poachers would likely die of starvation if they didn't have that income source.

So wiping out scores of animals with chemical weapons, each of which could feed many people, so the ivory could be extracted to prevent poachers from starving is valid?

Hell no.

AEGISX

Banned
In china there are military stationed next to national reserves and parks, poachers will be shot on sight.
Killing or consuming species under tier 1 protection (giant panda, fresh water dolphin etc) is death penalty.

I think they need that in Africa

It's sickening for sure.

But a lot of these poachers would likely die of starvation if they didn't have that income source.
Oh, they'll die of starvation eventually. Do you really think these people are going to allow for a sustainable population of elephants to exist?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The UN is so useless, how difficult would it be to send blue helms to protect a natural reserve, set up a tribunal, arrest and prosecute the poachers? Easy as fucking pie as long as the host country allows it, and if it doesn't you slap it with sanctions.

jerry1594

In china there are military stationed next to national reserves and parks, poachers will be shot on sight.
Killing or consuming species under tier 1 protection (giant panda, fresh water dolphin etc) is death penalty.

I think they need that in Africa

Punishments for poaching aren't light in Africa. The problem is that unlike China, African countries don't have the resources to fight poachers and oftentimes poachers are better equipped than rangers.

Pachinko

Perhaps they need to start using a death penalty against poachers.Right now serving some time in jail is probably a free meal ticket for the entire sentence for many of the poachers themselves but if they just faced a firing squad perhaps they would think twice about doing it ?

Same goes for any ranger / warden that accepts a bribe- accomplice to poaching- death penalty.

Yeah it's incredibly harsh but how else are you supposed to scare these people into not wanting to harm endangered wild life ? They don't care about the animal itself, all they know is that it's worth a lot of money and they have to eat

Sinople

Our entire population is not working towards a single goal.

There are groups of people that dedicate enormous amounts of time to preventing acts like this.

You are looking at humanity from a micro point of view and at cancer from a macro one.
If you want to compare them properly, look at them from a same macro pov. Maybe you'll realize both share a strikingly similar behavior.

Lamel

Banned
So wiping out scores of animals with chemical weapons, each of which could feed many people, so the ivory could be extracted to prevent poachers from starving is valid?

Hell no.

Read the whole thread before jumping on my post. I respond further.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Disgusting and downright infuriating. R.I.P innocent animals that were killed due to our mental sickness that gets passed down from generation to generation.

mantidor

I rather get angry with their fucking customers... what's good about Ivory anyway?

Fuck these people, too.

Stupid fucking assholes and their need for rhino horn, elephant tusk and tiger bone.

This so much, I hate how it sounds but asian people with this bogus superstitious shit can go die in a fire.

Fun fact, Rhino horns are made entirely of keratin. The same material hair and nails are made from! :_o

Ivory is the SAME DAMN THING, it's just teeth, urrrgh this is what really pisses me off the most, there's nothing special about it.

There should be more people scamming the dumbasses who buy this stuff for their "magical" properties, it isn't even that hard to fake.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
While this is horrible, and I think it's really despicable that this is a source of money - but it makes me really uncomfortable how easily and readily people are willing to write off human life in this thread.

If in reality, these poachers really were people who were on the brink of starvation (I think actually sometimes, some of them are - maybe not ring leaders, but hired hands) I would at least be able to comprehend this need to kill an endangered animal to survive. I, without hesitation, would do so myself if it really was an either or situation.

The solution isn't to kill people indiscriminately and/or wish for their death/starvation. That attitude is absolutely disgusting and those who profess it in this thread I hope have some tiny dredge of morality in them that finds it abhorrent that they've stooped so low.

The solution is to raise the quality of life for everyone, and to reduce the value of ivory.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
While this is horrible, and I think it's really despicable that this is a source of money - but it makes me really uncomfortable how easily and readily people are willing to write off human life in this thread.

If in reality, these poachers really were people who were on the brink of starvation (I think actually sometimes, some of them are - maybe not ring leaders, but hired hands) I would at least be able to comprehend this need to kill an endangered animal to survive. I, without hesitation, would do so myself if it really was an either or situation.

The solution isn't to kill people indiscriminately and/or wish for their death/starvation. That attitude is absolutely disgusting and those who profess it in this thread I hope have some tiny dredge of morality in them that finds it abhorrent that they've stooped so low.

The solution is to raise the quality of life for everyone, and to reduce the value of ivory.

Unfortunate thing is once bullets start flying words have little to no meaning. Which is generally what happens when armed poachers and rangers meet. *Edit Problem being is that one side keeps trying to up the other in order to protect themselves, which is why in some regions it has literally become a war between the two factions with how they need to be equipped.

That and problem stems way past just the issue here of "poaching to survive" and has to do a lot with the country itself. Things of course vary depending on which country within the African continent.

While not the same you hear similar stories about illegal fishing, pirates etc.

Pimpwerx

Well that's pretty brutal. Cyanide? Really? What happened to poaching with guns and shit? Poaching is already evil, but at least try to do some work for your catch. This is the equivalent of dynamite fishing. Fucking bullshit. PEACE.

I bet there are a lot of parallels between East African piracy and poaching in Zimbabwe. Both in the desperate life situation currently pushing a once agrarian society to such unsustainable, violent economies and in the rather bloodthirsty reactions it evokes from bystanders.

woodland

No life is greater than another. This is inexcusable and completely ridiculous. The thought of using Cyanide to poison a massive group of some of the smartest mammals on earth is sickening.

Days like this I don't agree with the death penalty.

Well that's pretty brutal. Cyanide? Really? What happened to poaching with guns and shit? Poaching is already evil, but at least try to do some work for your catch. This is the equivalent of dynamite fishing. Fucking bullshit. PEACE.

I wouldn't try to fight an elephant even with a .500 S&W Magnum caliber.

Madness

"Ivory is highly prized as a "white gold" in Asian countries where a growing middle class is seeking safe investments"...

Why not simply say it's primarily China, a country also responsible for the decline in tigers, rhinos and other things like sharks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom