• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

Dark Eye just looks beautiful.
After looking at the crazy resolution screens my eyes are bleeding, Daedalic's art is crazy and it's ingame.
Cheers to lostxii for highlighting that one originally.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Much better OP now, very nice :)

If I run across anything to add I'll post it, but at least from the Kickstarter end you have everything covered that I've seen.

jimi_dini

Anyone played Captain Morgane + the golden turtle on Wii?

I'm thinking about buying this game, but I can't decide, if I should go Wii or PS3. It seems Wii is the better choice because of Wiimote-controls (I don't own PS3 Move). And it seems graphics are just fine on Wii. Is there something broken on the Wii port like for example long ass loading times? And are there are unlockable things on Wii or PS3 like Making-Of videos, artwork or such stuff?

Botanicula reminds me of Salad Fingers. Especially that creepy crying thing and the kids.

Hehe sort of, but it's so cute, and it's guaranteed to make you smile throughout with the funny animations. There is that creep factor if you're not an insect fan, but it's so weirdly charming.

Bought Dream Machine, thanks for the huge OP! :D

EDIT: Walking Dead was great, really felt for the characters and it took all the stuff I liked about Heavy Rain.

Don't think I can edit my original post forever as it was getting too big, so will continue here and link.

Coming Soon

The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle - Darkling Room/Shadow Tor Studios PC

saxton.bmp

Join young ghost-hunters Nigel Danvers and Lucy Reubans, as they begin a new 'Crown' mystery:

Hallowed Isle lies just off the coast of Saxton, on England's windswept coast. It is a moody, melancholy place; haunted by those who lived, worked and died there. That, in itself, is not unusual in this uncanny landscape, where everywhere has a supernatural tale to tell… should you be brave enough to delve deeper.

Hallowed Isle is different. It hides its secrets well, buried beneath centuries of bizarre history. Nigel and Lucy will need to use ALL of their new found ghost-hunting skills to unravel the mystery of who, or what, haunts the small, pine ridged island, four miles out at sea.

Grab your ghost-hunting kit, board the island ferry, and experience this spooky sequel to the 2007 hit - The Lost Crown - A Ghost-Hunting Adventure.

The Second Guest

screenshot1.jpg

London in 1923:
After the death of the old Lord Averton the young student Jack Ice receives a mysterious telegraph in which he is invited to an opening of will at the old Grace Castle. Amazed and slightly irritated because of the fact that Jack did not even know the deceased, Jack sets out to Little Grace, a small village on the east coast of Cornwall. After Jack and the other heirs have arrived at the castle it becomes more and more a scary certainty that the old Lord was murdered. And even worse: the murderer now targets all the heirs...

Shortly after the arrival of the heirs a violent thunderstorm breaks and the castle gets cut off from the outside world by a landslide, Jack has no choice but to get to the bottom of things. If he and the others want to survive this night, he will have to reveal the mystery about Grace Castle and also a big mystery about his own past...

· A thrilling story
· Funny dialogues
· Demanding puzzle design
· Lovingly created characters
· Cinema-quality soundtrack
· Classic point'n'click control

Lucius

image_%209.jpg

Pleas Note: Lucius is not point n click per say, 3rd person puzzle/death em up still has interesting mechanic, I mean just LOOK at the picture. Thought if it didn't go in here were else would it?

Lucius is the son of the devil who has to clear the mansion of its residents. To do this he must orchestrate “accidents” without anyone suspecting him of any foul play. The player starts as Lucius and must cleverly devise these incidents from simple household items. Every time he succeeds he will gain supernatural powers to help him take full control.

His growing supernatural powers may be used in various ways. He will eventually become able to control objects and people with mind power, move objects around without touching them. Lucius even has the incredible mind power to dictate weak people into causing destruction and pain.

He was born on the 6th of June in 1966 and when he had lived his sixth year on earth, he finally started to show signs of his true origin.

The mansion is full of unrevealed mysteries that paint a story behind the family and how it became tangled with evil, but what is already clear is that Lucifer had taken the soul of the boy and replaced it with his own blood.

It's up to you to see that he cannot be stopped../

subscribed!

but why there's not trace of double fine among the other kickstarter games?

Good point, I will put a small preview on here but at the moment there still isn't much other than some working concept artwork (which looks really good) and of course /Double FineSchaffer/Gilbert involvement.
They may show something around E3, who knows.

itxaka

Defeatist
Jesus, the quality of point and click games is growing a lot. A couple of years ago there was only a couple of games which looked great, this year they all look incredible.

They said on Facebook the other day that they hadn't received any keys yet, next week they are due and will be emailed to you registered address, via site.

Khar

Dark Eye looks lovely in terms of art, but the trailer had some of the most off-putting lip synch I've seen yet.

I'll be interested to see how Schafer and Jensen deal with that. With higher resolution artwork characters can very quickly become creepy marionettes.

The title Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav really amuses me. It sounds like an GLaDOS-like Garmin GPS nav taking revenge on it's idiot users for refusing to turn around when possible. Laughing evilly to itself while going on a maniacal spree of sending lorrys under low bridges.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looking forward to Resonance. Still need to finish off the Blackwell games though :(

Sword and Sorcery EP looks amazing, can anyone recommend it?
I recommend it. It doesn't have puzzles per say, but the experience is great. Music is sublime, atmosphere is nice, and the pixel art is beautiful.

You can pre-order a limited edition boxed version of Resonance here.
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/resonance-pre-order.html

This version of the game comes in a hard cardboard box that contains the game disc (nestled in an "eco friendly" CD wallet) and a printed poster featuring the games four playable characters. The Resonance CD includes the game itself, the MP3 soundtrack, developer diary videos, a behind-the-scenes video of the voiceover recording sessions, concept art, and more!

In addition to the box, you will also receive a digital download version of the game. And if you are a Steam user, you'll get a free Steam key as well. Only available until June 24th, ships July. You will receive steam key June 19th.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Am I reading the Project Fedora page correctly, that they are releasing updated versions of the previous Tex games?

Lafazar

Am I reading the Project Fedora page correctly, that they are releasing updated versions of the previous Tex games?

Are you talking about this part? I thought that too, at first. Then I read it again...
$50 reward tier said:
*HD Digital Download of original "Under a Killing Moon", "The Pandora Directive" and "Overseer" Posters. * Previous Reward Tiers included.

Suikoguy

Are you talking about this part? I thought that too, at first. Then I read it again...

Ah, damn. I see it now. That is why formatting is so important.

injurai

Banned
Looking forward to Resonance. Still need to finish off the Blackwell games though :(

I recommend it. It doesn't have puzzles per say, but the experience is great. Music is sublime, atmosphere is nice, and the pixel art is beautiful.

awesome, I guess I'll pick this up once finals are over.

Deponia has been confirmed for UK and Ireland release on June 29th.
Full boxed version contains a poster and the OST.
New trailer also.

The lack of smoothness of their in-game character animations (as seen in TWW) is really clashing with the highly-detailed backgrounds and models. It puts me off quite a bit, even though I really like the art.

The trailer for Chains of Satinav is apparently showing the same issue, even though the engine seems to be a 3D-2D hybrid).

ShaneB

Was wondering about a release date for the Dark Eye, but official site says 6/22, so not far at all. That's great!

Steam release of Resonance has been delayed til July 25th, game is still out June 19th.

"Do to a technical and communications snafuu, it looks like Resonance won't launch on Steam until July"

Dev did also tweet saying.

"You won't be able to BUY it on Steam right away, but If you buy from us you can PLAY it on Steam."

Launches on GoG.com June 19th
Resonance boxed edition is still available to pre-order until June 24th.

Free demo is out now (link in post #79 above cheers Saty) I personally decided not to download and go in full steam ahead when the game launches in a few days. Can't wait.

In related news the WadjetEye developer (Dave Gilbert) blogged a little bit about Kickstarter, made some good points, worth a read.
http://nygamedev.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/kickstarter-thing.html

Steam release of Resonance has been delayed til July 25th, game is still out June 19th.

"Do to a technical and communications snafuu, it looks like Resonance won't launch on Steam until July"

Dev did also tweet saying.

"You won't be able to BUY it on Steam right away, but If you buy from us you can PLAY it on Steam."

Launches on GoG.com June 19th
Resonance boxed edition is still available to pre-order until June 24th.

Free demo is out now (link in post #79 above cheers Saty) I personally decided not to download and go in full steam ahead when the game launches in a few days. Can't wait.

In related news the WadjetEye developer (Dave Gilbert) blogged a little bit about Kickstarter, made some good points, worth a read.
http://nygamedev.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/kickstarter-thing.html

Aww, that sucks. If I could pre-order just the digital version from them I would for the Steam key.

Think I will continue to update just as and when I find new titles, bump the thread a bit and add them to original post.

Will be exclusive to Origin.

cbe85fbe.jpg

The game features detailed atmospheric graphics that evoke a future in which the world is ruled by the last surviving corporate giant.

With parodies of advertising, political propaganda and corruption, Hoodwink has a twisted dark humour set in a colourful dystopia, enhanced by a soundtrack by award-winning composer Leon Willett (Best Music, GameSpy Game Of The Year Awards 2006, Best Video Game Score, Movie Music UK awards 2006)

You assume the role of Michael Bezzle, a smart-mouthed bumbling scoundrel seeking to turn over a new leaf and settle down with his girlfriend.

However his luck takes a turn for the worse when his final caper lands him in trouble with the government and he must rely on his wits as he gets further enmeshed in the machinations of the state.

In its portrayal of the decaying metropolis of Global-01, Hoodwink takes a sideways look at the classic genre of film noir. Using an intuitive point and click interface, you explore the city, populated by all manner of colorful characters, each with their own quirky plans, who will help or hinder as you solve challenging puzzles to seek out the truth behind the world's last corporation.

“A lot of us grew up on adventure games. With an emphasis on witty dialogue and storytelling, Hoodwink is a return to the classic gaming genre,” says Amir Irwan, executive producer at E-One Studio.

“Players can identify with Michael who, despite his roguish nature, is just an average Joe seemingly powerless against forces much larger than him. Fulfilling dreams and surviving against the odds are human elements that resonate with us and it is these elements that help to create a memorable gaming experience. ”

“Atmosphere is important; not only does a game have to play well and look good, ambient sound and music contribute a great deal to the experience. Leon Willett’s work on the project has been nothing short of amazing; his music adds that extra spark of life we needed to set the stage for Michael’s journey. From the whimsical designs to the snappy tunes, we hope that Hoodwink will leave an impression on the hearts and minds of our players.”

1954 Alcatraz
Developer - Daedalic Entertainment/Irresponsible Games

1954_-_alcatraz_-_screenshot_01__full.jpg

1954_-_alcatraz_-_screenshot_02__full.jpg

1954: Alcatraz.

The “Golden Gate”, the opening of the San Francisco Bay with the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge, was a symbol of freedom for many people. Cynically, prisoners of the infamous Alcatraz can enjoy a beautiful view on this monument at their prison yard. Right there, players slip into the role of the prisoner Joe.

"1954: Alcatraz" takes place in San Francisco of the 50’s. Joe was sentenced to 40 years imprisonment due to an armed robbery and he is eager to break out of "The Rock". Therefore, he needs help from his wife Christine who is facing her own problems in San Francisco. Their gangster fellow Mickey threatens Christine to kill her if she refuses to hand over the swag. However, where is the prey? Joe only knows where the hideout is and, therefore, the entire North Beach is searching for the jackpot.

Will our hero be successful in the race for the loot? No prisoner was able to break out of Alcatraz before. In addition, drug deals, blackmails, suicide and homicide are daily fare in San Francisco.

Player’s decisions crucially influence the fate of the characters.

Different plots, surprising turns and alternative endings await the players.

1954: Alcatraz“ Features:

• 90 hand-painted locations, based on research of San Francisco, North Beach and Alcatraz.
• Over 20 3D-animated characters
• Clever puzzles and dialogues by Gene Mocsy, the co-writer of Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island.
• An atmospheric score by Pedro Macedo Camacho (Fairytale Fights, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, A Vampyre Story, Audiosurf).
• Non-linear plot
• Alternative endings

1954: Alcatraz will be released in 2012 for PC. An exact release date will be announced soon.

Fjordson

Stasis has me excited, 1 guy who is developing is incredibly talented and loves a bit of horror/adventure action, looks smart, story sounds good it ticks all the boxes.
He blogged about Wasteland 2 last month (http://www.stasisgame.com/wasteland-ideas/) and showed some concept work he created based on Wasteland 2 concepts, here is a link to one of them.
http://www.stasisgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Plane-1.jpg
That's fantastic.

Has he said anything about when Stasis is coming out?

Stasis has me excited, 1 guy who is developing is incredibly talented and loves a bit of horror/adventure action, looks smart, story sounds good it ticks all the boxes.
He blogged about Wasteland 2 last month (http://www.stasisgame.com/wasteland-ideas/) and showed some concept work he created based on Wasteland 2 concepts, here is a link to one of them.
http://www.stasisgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Plane-1.jpg

Yeah, there was a thread about that game a few months ago I think. Looks great.

Yanksfan

I agree with the sentiment that it has gone from hunting and choosing among some mediocre titles to being blown away with many choices of higher quality games. I have dozens and dozens of adventure titles to catch up with.

Despite that backlog, I may still pick up Resonance before I dig into the Blackwell games (already own them all). It looks amazing and I would like to show support to both the devs and GOG as well (nice to see them have a launch title before Steam).

Botanicula is so excellent, had a great time showing it to my relatives. GODDAMN THE CUTENESS.

I love how expressive the the game is, without any dialogue, like knowing that you have to find the 3 children for the mom.

Going to be all over Resonance.

epmode

Aww, that sucks. If I could pre-order just the digital version from them I would for the Steam key.
You can apparently get a Steam key even if you get the GOG release. You just have to email your GOG receipt to the Wadjet Eye admin. I'm not sure if he'll have those Steam keys before the late July launch though.

You can also order the boxed copy which gets you a June 19th Steam key right then and there.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I only wish the demo saves would work in the full game.

Ceebs

Anyone from German-Gaf play Chains of Satinav? Looks like it releases on Friday and would be down for some point and click Dark Eye.

TimmiT

You should probably use a different image for Double Fine Adventure because that screenshot isn't from the game, but from a test that was done to decide what the visual style is going to be. Otherwise, great thread.

Bracken Tor may possibly come out this year though nothing is concrete with that one. Another one is Phobos 1953, English translation by the guys that did the amazingly surreal Outcry/Subulstrum. Though who knows, the last I heard of that was it was coming but that may have changed. Cranberry (Black Mirror series) is coming out with a historical adventure game last I knew. Lots of amazing stuff coming in the genre.

Oh also don't forget Asylum, from the creator of Scratches. This should be really sick; the team is also concurrently working on a SDK using the engine they're working with for the game.

Stasis is definitely my most anticipated right now, I've been following it since its early start over at the adventuregamers forum.

Phobos 1953
03_phobos1953_game2b.jpg

Check out the others, ill post screens later if necessary.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
One of the weirdest and worst games I've ever played. I actually thought Pendulo had gotten better at this over the years (Runaway: A Twist of Fate was pretty good, in my opinion) but Yesterday is nothing but awful. Story is a complete trainwreck, characters suck, puzzles are less then mediocre and it's about as long as 1-2 Telltale episodes.

Wow, and here was I waiting for this game to go on sale. Scratch it from my wishlist :(

edit: also, PonyGAF represent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvjP2UK-5LM&feature=plcp

Top Bottom