• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

terrisus

I'm really, really looking forward to Shadowgate. It's easily my most-anticipated game of this year. I love Shadowgate.

Jacobi

Banned
Which adventures are actually worth playing? I invested some time in Deponia but it wasn't all that fun, despite its good ratings. 10 years ago there werent any new adventures worth playing, now there are like millions of adventure games and I can't decide.

Which adventures are actually worth playing? I invested some time in Deponia but it wasn't all that fun, despite its good ratings. 10 years ago there werent any new adventures worth playing, now there are like millions of adventure games and I can't decide.

Made in the last few years?

Brilliant:

Ben There Dan That & Time Gentleman Please
Blackwell Bundle
Primordia

Great

Gemini Rue (a bit buggy)
The Book of Unwritten Tales (Falls apart at the end)

Good:

Sam & Max s1
Sam & Max s2
Sam & Max s3
Tales of Monkey Island (starts pretty badly, gets good from episode 3 onwards)
Resonance(falls apart at the end)
Broken Sword 5 episode 1

Deponia I personally think is garbage, at least in the english translation. Bad script, bad humour and unlikeable main character. Puzzles aren't that great either.

szaromir

Banned
I'd recommend the following:
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Scratches
Blackwell series from Wadjet Eye

Woah woah woah, why haven't I heard of this until now? Thanks for the heads up

The logo had a brief appearance at Sony's Tokyo Games Show conference 2013. There was also a demo present for the media.
The developer approached Sony for a publishing deal and it's now PS4/Vita exclusive.
Does look very nice, musically and graphically.

daviyoung

Banned

Just finished Broken Sword 5 and Irecommend that. A bit easy and short even for chapter 1, but the writing and the art is just amazing. Well worth the monies.

Not usually my genre, but the fact I now know about Fran Bow and God Will be Watching mean that I'm leaving this thread satisfied.

Gods will be Watching.
There is a small demo/game on the developers site from Ludum Dare 26.

This is what the game was developed from.
http://www.deconstructeam.com/games/gods-will-be-watching/

I can't seem to get it to load personally, don't know if it's just taking a long time to load or it's IE/W8.1 being arse.

Jeez, I pretty much want to play every game on that list on page 1. Almost all of them look cool to me. I'm on a serious adventure game kick at the moment.

If you want to laugh a lot, Broken Sword 5. At least I did.

ibvnhEG5OI7xqs.gif

tmarques

How come I'd never heard of the Gabriel Knight remake?! I pledged 50 bucks for the Jane Jensen kickstart and unless I'm horribly mistaken the wording was I'd get all games released during their "first cycle" or whatever it was. Is GK part of the deal?

nny

How come I'd never heard of the Gabriel Knight remake?! I pledged 50 bucks for the Jane Jensen kickstart and unless I'm horribly mistaken the wording was I'd get all games released during their "first cycle" or whatever it was. Is GK part of the deal?

Yep, it's the "Mystery game X" they mentioned during the KickStarter.

epmode

Made in the last few years?

Brilliant:

Ben There Dan That & Time Gentleman Please
Blackwell Bundle
Primordia

Great

Gemini Rue (a bit buggy)
The Book of Unwritten Tales (Falls apart at the end)

Good:

Sam & Max s1
Sam & Max s2
Sam & Max s3
Tales of Monkey Island (starts pretty badly, gets good from episode 3 onwards)
Resonance(falls apart at the end)
Broken Sword 5 episode 1

Deponia I personally think is garbage, at least in the english translation. Bad script, bad humour and unlikeable main character. Puzzles aren't that great either.

I'm not sure if I agree with all of your Good pile (I'm not a huge fan of any Telltale games and I liked BS5 more than that) but the Brilliant pile is spot on.

The Ben and Dan games are easily the funniest adventure games since Lucasarts. It's too bad that Size Five Games has avoided the genre since then. Really reminds me of Tim Schafer/Double Fine before Broken Age was announced.

The Blackwell series starts off a little shaky but there's a lot of promise. The later games improve dramatically and they're about as close to modern classics as we've seen. Epiphany is going to be great.

Primordia is a lot better than I expected after the lukewarm reviews. It's such an interesting world.

The only thing I'd add to the list is Machinarium, although it's a little less traditional with the zero dialogue thing.

How is the cognition Erica reed game? I'm thinking of picking it up while it's on sale

It's a strange one. Unusually violent, ugly and technically poor (dropping the 3D models would have helped a LOT), with a UI that's obviously tailored to tablets as opposed to a mouse, decent puzzles, etc.

..but the story is pretty interesting and I didn't stop until I played through all four chapters in succession. I liked the music too.

Great list, I hadn't heard of a lot of those and they look really interesting.

Lumino City (sequel to Lume, currently in Humble Weekly Sale along with Machinarium and Amanita games) might come out this year. The first was really charming and appealing, albeit really short. The sets are constructed out of real paper and cardboard models and photographed so it has a very tangible yet cutesy aesthetic. The teaser for the sequel looks even more impressive.

Great thread to start the new year with and some great games that i'd forgotten about and are now back firmly on my radar. Cheers.

I also joined PNCGAF to start the year on the right track too. Things are looking up!

TripleSun

I guess I should probably play the past Tex Murphy games before Tesla Effect, right? It looks amazing but I was never around for the Tex Murphy craze.

Great job as usual Family Fry.

Can't wait for Tesla Effect. Most anticipated P&C adventure game since Tales of Monkey Island almost 5 years ago.

Also very excited about Broken Age. Tim Schafer's writing on Lucasarts classics puts the vast majority of modern adventure games to shame, hoping he brings back that same level of quality.

I also continue to have a Space Quest boner for SpaceVenture even though the rational, non-nostalgic part of my brain tells me the game isn't going to be very good.

Gray Matter

Fantastic adventure game that feels like and old school Sierra adventure. It's not without it flaws, but it's still one my favorites. Challenging and immersive with a really interesting story. The 3D models aren't the prettiest, but if you play it, give it at least two chapters and you will be hooked. Oh, and the soundtrack is great. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEiJoz89yRA

Buy here: http://se.gamersgate.com/DD-GREY/gray-matter (swedish link, so it will redirect you, so I can't tell the exact price from here).

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse.

Somewhere around this game is when Telltale went from "ok" to "really interesting". I like this season of Sam&Max better then the old LucasArts Sam&Max game. Interesting and funny story, and the variety of the episodes is great.

Tales of Monkey Island

The first episode is ok. The second is "meh!". Episodes 3-5 are great.

TripleSun

Gray Matter

Fantastic adventure game that feels like and old school Sierra adventure. It's not without it flaws, but it's still one my favorites. Challenging and immersive with a really interesting story. The 3D models aren't the prettiest, but if you play it, give it at least two chapters and you will be hooked. Oh, and the soundtrack is great. :)

Buy here: http://se.gamersgate.com/DD-GREY/gray-matter (swedish link, so it will redirect you, so I can't tell the exact price from here).

Seriously, this game is brilliant! This is one game that was hard to put down. The mechanics and the story were so interesting that I always needed to know how it would continue. This game got me hooked on the Jane Jensen train (;

You forgot about Syberia III

I didn't put Syberia 3 in because it's more than likely going to be a 2015 game.
Alongside Samorost 3 and a few others heading in 2015. I WAS going to put them in but decided to try and keep it 2014 as PnC games have a history of being late/delayed.

Only thing I know about Syberia 3 is it's an entirely new adventure that doesn't follow on from Syberia 2. They talked about it at gamecom and showed some early artwork but other than that I reckon it's still early days.
No website, no screenshots, no story blurb and no teasers.

garath

Gray Matter

You rock sir. I've been looking for a way to get my hands on Gray Matter recently. It was Greenlit for Steam but with the publisher going bankrupt it'll probably never see the Steam release :(

I didn't even think of Gamersgate. Fantastic. It's even on sale right now for $3.40. Jumped on it immediately. Downloading now.

Thanks!!

I love Jane Jensen and cannot wait for the Gabriel Knight re-release and her new game MOEBIUS

You rock sir. I've been looking for a way to get my hands on Gray Matter recently. It was Greenlit for Steam but with the publisher going bankrupt it'll probably never see the Steam release :(

I didn't even think of Gamersgate. Fantastic. It's even on sale right now for $3.40. Jumped on it immediately. Downloading now.
MOEBIUS

I like to think that I do. :)

Glad to help.

inm8num2

Gray Matter is very underrated. Awesome story. The puzzles and mechanics could have used a bit more work, but given the development hell this game faced I think the final product was outstanding. It has some of my favorite Robert Holmes music as well, alongside some great Scarlet Furies tracks.

Gray Matter is very underrated. Awesome story. The puzzles and mechanics could have used a bit more work, but given the development hell this game faced I think the final product was outstanding. It has some of my favorite Robert Holmes music as well, alongside some great Scarlet Furies tracks.

Totally agree here. I enjoyed it alot. Fantastic atmosphere too. Visually thought it was nice, except for the ugly character portraits, lol. But I definitely think it's underrated. I'm very glad it was finally released after so many years in limbo.

I mean let's not forget it's a fucking Jane Jensen game.

I really loved that game until the finale. Then I just used a FAQ.

Best part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTA9DFQhlfQ&list=PLDA52E0FFCED2FFF9

Fantastic soundtrack, definitely. Moebius' soundtrack is going to be great as well. Robert is great.

Yanksfan

Alright, got quite an adventure backlog to start on. Can I get some recommendations on which to start?

- Blackwell Legacy
- Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templar
- Deponia
- The Dig
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
- Gemini Rue
- Hector: Episode 1
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Lume
- Puzzle Agent
- Runaway: A Road Adventure
- Samorost 2
- Scratches: Director's Cut
- Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
- Syberia
- Wallace and Gromit: Episode 1
- The Whispered World

tmarques

Grey Matter was pretty great until the guy removed his mask
and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with his face.

TripleSun

Alright, got quite an adventure backlog to start on. Can I get some recommendations on which to start?

- Blackwell Legacy
- Deponia
- The Dig
- Gemini Rue
- Lume
- Puzzle Agent
- Samorost 2
- Syberia
- The Whispered World

Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templars, Runaway, and Dreamfall are among my favorite PnC games ever played, so I cannot stress enough to not put them among the last things you play. :p I don't see The Longest Journey up there, did you play that already?

I haven't played Fate of Atlantis, but I've heard amazing things. I reaaaaally need to pick it up on Steam.

Card Boy

Banned

- Blackwell Legacy
- Deponia
- The Dig
- Gemini Rue
- Lume
- Puzzle Agent
- Samorost 2
- Syberia
- The Whispered World

Gemini Rue
Blackwell
Indiana Jones

Deponia should be last no matter what you decide.

Yanksfan

Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templars, Runaway, and Dreamfall are among my favorite PnC games ever played, so I cannot stress enough to not put them among the last things you play. :p I don't see The Longest Journey up there, did you play that already?

I haven't played Fate of Atlantis, but I've heard amazing things. I reaaaaally need to pick it up on Steam.

Huh, totally missed putting Longest Journey on the list, thanks. I have that in the ol Steam backlog.

Gemini Rue
Blackwell
Indiana Jones

Deponia should be last no matter what you decide.

Damn, Deponia is that bad? I have to admit that the three you recommended are three of the ones that look pretty damn good to me.

TripleSun

I recently finished Gemini Rue and those kind of dreary games always hit home for me.

Also, I'm like one of three people on this thread who loved Deponia. Guess I shouldn't say more..

Yanksfan

I recently finished Gemini Rue and those kind of dreary games always hit home for me.

Also, I'm like one of three people on this thread who loved Deponia. Guess I shouldn't say more..

Well, good to hear something positive from Deponia at least. ;)

How did Gemini Rue stack up against other P&C games you enjoy?

TripleSun

I experienced some buggy-ness from Gemini Rue, but I loved the seedy atmosphere and the dual playable character stories. Also it was different to have a small gun mini-game within the game. It wasn't anything serious and it's easy to master, but over all I enjoyed it. I played all the Blackwell games and needed more old-school PnC's, so that definitely hit the spot. I'm almost jealous you have such great PnC games ahead of you. Have fun!

Anything published/designed by Wadjet Games is bound to be a winner in most people's books, so you definitely need to experience it.

Top Bottom