• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

TripleSun

Yesterday? Seriously? Yesterday was dreadful (although partly down to localisation).

Maybe having Microids involved will improve it.

Yeah it was probably my least favorite game of theirs and I only finished it so I could say I finished it. Meh. Really wish they went with a new IP. Partly of why I liked Runaway was I played it a lot time ago and it's kind of nostalgic to me. Also apparently Yesterday Origins is going to be the company's first 3D game. Although they're trying to not worry anyone and saying that the Pendulo art will still be what fans enjoy.

On another note I finally beat Alum just now and I clocked like 10 hours into it. Was overall a good experience although plagued a little bit by some glitches, voice acting and whatnot. But even with the "nots" in the game, I'm glad I bought it. Some of the puzzles were really fun and overall the story resonated with me although some parts of the story were pretty whatever. What do people think? Also when they patched the game on Steam that surprised me since my save went invalid but they had uploaded multiple chapter start saves for people to use and luckily I was just in the mere beginning of the game so I didn't have to freak out much but I hear that problem was an AGS engine problem.

there are issues with some of the earlier games on modern hardware, and 5 has that waiter. :0

I played through the original version of bs1 you get as a bonus when buying the horrible directors cut on gog, and the only issue was having to rename a folder or something from memory.

Bs1 is much better then bs2 and bs2 is leagues better then bs5 imo

BS5 is a good enough adventure game to play, so let's not scare anyone away from it now :).

It has some issues, but also some really really good moments.

TripleSun

I still haven't played my copy of BS5 because stupid 3&4 are still not beaten but at this rate I'll never play 5 so I should probably just skip them right?

I still haven't played my copy of BS5 because stupid 3&4 are still not beaten but at this rate I'll never play 5 so I should probably just skip them right?

I thought 3 and 4 were descent enough, but you can play the fifth and skipping those without missing out if you don't want to play them,

Fuz

Banned
Do yourself a favour and skip 3 & 4.
For how I see it...
BS1: Masterpiece.
BS2: Pretty decent.
BS3: Abysmal.
BS4: Terrible.
BS5: Barely decent.

For how I see it...

I always thought that people are too harsh on BS3 and BS4. They're IMHO quite descent both. 3/5 games. Some good characters, some good dialogues, pretty enjoyable puzzles, well paced. I played many adventure games that have bothered me much more then both of them.

You guys probably know already but Pendulo Studios is back from the dead paired up with Microids working on Yesterday Origins. I absolutely love Pendulo's Runaway series and was a series I had lots of good memories with but Yesterday.. I had wished they were going to do something new not tied to a past entry. Of Course I'll still pick it up but not so excited that their new project is attached to Yesterday.

https://twitter.com/pendulostudios/status/601660998332850176

On one hand I'm happy they're working on a new game, because I've enjoyed most of what they have done. But on the other, I wish it was something new or even a new Runaway game. I didn't care for Yesterday a whole lot.

Dsyndrome

BS4's buggy release, abrupt non-ending, mobsters that made me want to punch a wall, and so-so sorry make it the worst Broken Sword by far for me. I don't think I ever got my original US physical disc ever working fully. It was a grind throughout that I'd never wish on folks. One of the few games I'd say to read up on vice playing.

Fuz

Banned
I always thought that people are too harsh on BS3 and BS4. They're IMHO quite descent both. 3/5 games. Some good characters, some good dialogues, pretty enjoyable puzzles, well paced. I played many adventure games that have bothered me much more then both of them.

Honestly, I don't even remember them.
I just remember crates to move around, bad and unnecessary 3D graphics and the fact I loathed every single moment of gameplay.
On the other hand, I do remember pretty well BS1 and its great narrative.

Obduction makes me sad and excited at the same time.

Modern day graphics just aren't convincing enough to me to give off the amazing vibe that Riven or Myst Exile did. It all looked so real. Even when I go back to them, I am still in awe of some of the art. 3D graphics still look like plastic in comparison.

Imagine a Riven in 1080p where every frame and video looks real again?

I miss that stuff =(

TripleSun

On one hand I'm happy they're working on a new game, because I've enjoyed most of what they have done. But on the other, I wish it was something new or even a new Runaway game. I didn't care for Yesterday a whole lot.

Yeah I always jump when I hear new Pendulo game but a Yesterday sequel/prequel.. :/

Wait, you guys dig BS1 over BS2??

I'd rate them:

BS2, BS1, BS5, BS4 and lastly BS3.

BS2 is as good as BS1 while it lasts, but there's no hiding the fact it's a much shorter game. I do wonder if there were problems in development, I vaguely recall talk of branching paths in the magazine previews back in the day, which obviously never happened.

The whole way they worked in the Tezcatlipoca stuff was superb though. Loved the creepy musical cues in particular.

Tizoc

Technobabylon may just just be among my top 5 Steam games for the year.
I just spoke with the person that's hacking into CEL and I liked the use of arabic words =3

nonadventurer

Neo Member
What was the overall consensus for Broken Age?

The consensus is that Act 1 is great and superior to Act 2.

My opinion, however, is that Act 2 is superior to Act 1 because it feels like a proper adventure game. (I like puzzles.)

In any case, though, it's well-written and worth a playthrough.

Mr_Zombie

I think that BS3 was fine as an action-adventure game, but it was a bad sequel to a point & click adventure games series... well, mainly because it wasn't a point & click adventure game at all. The move to consoles and all those 3D movement, QTE, crate pushing everywhere and stealth sections were really off-putting if you expected just a sequel to a Broken Sword game.

On its own, I think the game was good. Graphics had its charm (I prefer the more cartoony art design over the more realistic one in BS4), story was interesting, dialogues were funny. I remember that I had fun with it.

Fuz

Banned
The consensus is that Act 1 is great and superior to Act 2.

My opinion, however, is that Act 2 is superior to Act 1 because it feels like a proper adventure game. (I like puzzles.)

In any case, though, it's well-written and worth a playthrough.

I agree with you.
Shame about the story's direction on act 2 though.

Tizoc

Technobabylon's the bloodiest game I played this year and this game's graphics are simple and nice looking 2D pixel art.

What was the overall consensus for Broken Age?

My opinion is that it's the closest thing to a true Monkey Island style P&C we've had in many years. Appart from one puzzle I didn't like, I thought it was excellent. Challenging puzzles, fantastic art style and camera work, a thoughtful story and fantastic characters.

I backed that, Broken Sword 5, Tex Murphy and Moebius, and bought Dreamfall Chapters, and Broken Sword is the best of them by far.

IMHO.

I know some people thought the puzzles were obtuse, but I thought they were easier and more logic then in most classic p&c.

I played Technobabylon for 9 hours yesterday. I'm on the very last bit now.

What a masterpiece. Wadget have made some great games but I think this might be the best yet...

d1rtn4p

I played Technobabylon for 9 hours yesterday. I'm on the very last bit now.

What a masterpiece. Wadget have made some great games but I think this might be the best yet...

Did the exact same thing and finished it. Best adventure game I've played since the original longest journey.

inm8num2

Another glowing Technobabylon review from Indie Game Mag.

In addition to making an intelligent commentary on the intersections between technology and humanity, Technobabylon is a true feast for the point-and-click enthusiast. It is brought to life by an irresistible cast of characters, presents players with a series of rich, ethical dilemmas, and dips into the sci-fi palette with just the right amount of twists and turns. Whether its vision of the future is an accurate one remains to be seen, but time will tell, and Central will be watching. Technobabylon is currently available on Steam for $14.99 USD. If you are partial to old-school mystery adventure titles, this is a must-play.

Tizoc

The Silent Age is releasing on Steam!

A simple but nice PnC game that originally released on iOS.
hOPEFUlly it release for around $10
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352520/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1

Fuz

Banned
I'm playing Zak McKracken: Beyond Time and Space.
It's actually pretty good, worth the time invested and the money*

it's free.

epmode

I suppose Technobabylon is cyberpunk but it has an unusual focus on genetic engineering and other stuff you don't often see in the genre. I like it!

TripleSun

I don't really have much to say that others haven't already but I'm in the middle of Technobabylon and I don't want it to end! Such a good game and I look forward to jumping in every session. Wadjet Eye Games and Co really are a special lot. I'm so thankful they exist!

Tizoc

I played the first episode of that and thought it was ok. Almost no challenge whatsoever but it had an interesting plot and setting. I'll check out the rest of it at some point.

Well it IS an iOS game originally, not saying iOS PnC games don't need depth but for what it was, I enjoyed it.
Sometimes you just want a simple game to take a break from things.

Well it IS an iOS game originally, not saying iOS PnC games don't need depth but for what it was, I enjoyed it.
Sometimes you just want a simple game to take a break from things.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been playing a hidden object game as a break from Witcher 3.

Tizoc

Can I just say that I really want Wadjet Eye's games on my PS Vita? Res size may not be an issue but having the right stick= mouse and the face buttons be the mouse buttons along with opening your inventory etc., now that's one way to play PnCs on the go X3

flowsnake

Can I just say that I really want Wadjet Eye's games on my PS Vita? Res size may not be an issue but having the right stick= mouse and the face buttons be the mouse buttons along with opening your inventory etc., now that's one way to play PnCs on the go X3

Probably would never happen unless they move away from AGS.

For how I see it...

Broken Sword 1: Masterpiece. 10/10
Broken Sword 2: Masterpiece. Shorter, but funnier. 10/10
Broken Sword 3: Underrated. An uneasy transition to 3D maybe, but it still feels like Broken Sword. 8/10
Broken Sword 4: Yup, terrible. A shell of a game. 3/10
Broken Sword 5: Average as hell. Too much pandering to the fanbase and a flat, unfunny script. 5/10

That's how I call it.

TripleSun

What's with the Ankh Anniversary Edition? Didn't they already finish the series long ago? Is this like something newly added to the past games?

[edit] Nevermind, thought it was just added or something. So it's just a redo on the first game I guess.

zakujanai

Broken Sword 3: Underrated. An uneasy transition to 3D maybe, but it still feels like Broken Sword. 8/10
Broken Sword 5: Average as hell. Too much pandering to the fanbase and a flat, unfunny script. 5/10

That's how I call it.

I went in ready to hate 3 but clunky 3d controls aside, it was really enjoyable. Left me expecting good things from 4, which I was obviously sorely disappointed about. Hated from the very first moment to the underwhelming last.

That's how I call it.

Mine would be:

• Broken Sword 1: 9/10. I subtract one point for some really stupid puzzles.
  • Broken Sword 2: ?/10. Played it once, many years ago, and don't remember that much of it, besides the start and the end. Will have to replay it.
  • Broken Sword 3: 7/10. Quite good actually. A bit underrated. Dissapointing ending.
  • Broken Sword 4: 6/10 then, a fine game. 5/10 now, since it has aged quite badly. Dissapointing ending.
  • Broken Sword 5: 7/10. Dissapointing start, great middle part with really entertaining puzzles. Too much reuse of old characters, without moving anything forward storywise. A bit dissapointing ending.

That's how I call it.

This is almost entirely accurate to me, though I'd dock 2 a tad more for shortness and 3 for clunkiness. On story, dialogue, ambience & puzzle, bang on

Top Bottom