• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokédex for iOS is released. Costs $24 to complete the entire Pokédex

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Already got it for free awhile ago... http://pokemondb.net/pokedex

Sure, it is cool to get it in an app and have a super cohesive feel, but there is no way I would pay that much to look up pokemon stats. I was even hesitant to pick up another pokemon game (Platinum) for $29.99 in 2010, and I have not really played that many other than Red/Blue, Silver and now Platinum.

We all know the real value here is to admire high-res 3D models of Pokémon.

Then have a Android/iOS GameBoy app, and that's where you either download or transfer your games. Then you could have a swanky gameboy (of your choice) themed controller case to protect your investment. Realistically speaking, handhelds were created because people wanted to play games on the go, but there was literally no way to do that at the time. Even simple GameBoy games were akin to NES experiences, so back then, you could have-- to an extent -- a console quality gaming experience on the go. The rift between the two experiences has grown exponentially, but so has mobile technology in just a few years. I would argue that based off of the rumored specs of the Galaxy S4 allegedly due out around April, its going to be more powerful than the Wii U. The next iPad should easily surpass the PS3 and 360, possibly the Wii U and then a year later, they might even rival next gen consoles. Mobile technology is growing by leaps and bounds, and if sales are any indication, that's exactly what people want to spend money on right now.

We no longer need dedicated handhelds to try to offer us sub-par console experiences when we all have smart devices that rival or surpass those experiences.

GameBoy... You and I have been through a lot together. You've been there almost my whole life. We've laughed together, cried together, and have many fond memories. I just want you to know, right now, before I say anything else, that will never change. I will never lose that. But its time that I moved on. I won't insult you by saying "It's not you," because it is you. I've changed, my needs have changed, and you don't satisfy me any more. I love you, but I'm just not in love with you any more.

Goodbye.
This whole post is bullshit. You have no idea what you are talking about.

No offense

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Then have a Android/iOS GameBoy app, and that's where you either download or transfer your games. Then you could have a swanky gameboy (of your choice) themed controller case to protect your investment. Realistically speaking, handhelds were created because people wanted to play games on the go, but there was literally no way to do that at the time. Even simple GameBoy games were akin to NES experiences, so back then, you could have-- to an extent -- a console quality gaming experience on the go. The rift between the two experiences has grown exponentially, but so has mobile technology in just a few years. I would argue that based off of the rumored specs of the Galaxy S4 allegedly due out around April, its going to be more powerful than the Wii U. The next iPad should easily surpass the PS3 and 360, possibly the Wii U and then a year later, they might even rival next gen consoles. Mobile technology is growing by leaps and bounds, and if sales are any indication, that's exactly what people want to spend money on right now.

We no longer need dedicated handhelds to try to offer us sub-par console experiences when we all have smart devices that rival or surpass those experiences.

GameBoy... You and I have been through a lot together. You've been there almost my whole life. We've laughed together, cried together, and have many fond memories. I just want you to know, right now, before I say anything else, that will never change. I will never lose that. But its time that I moved on. I won't insult you by saying "It's not you," because it is you. I've changed, my needs have changed, and you don't satisfy me any more. I love you, but I'm just not in love with you any more.

Goodbye.

You might as well be arguing that dedicated consoles aren't viable and shouldn't exist because we can all get our hands on much more powerful PC hardware.

Sandfox

The fact that the base app is only $2 is the key IMO. I'm curious as to how pokemon would sell on an iOS product but I don't think the changes they would have to make would be worth it in the end.

Comandr

This whole post is bullshit. You have no idea what you are talking about.

No offense

Precisely what part of this is bullshit? It's totally the truth. Handhelds aren't nearly as important as they were 10 years ago, and virtually every smart device out these days can run circles around them.

Also: Consoles are becoming, too, a thing of the past. I'm far from the first person to think this. We are fast hitting a ceiling where next gen consoles are just basically powerful PCs, and for the price of a PS3 (at launch), you could have bought a pretty decent gaming computer.

I am all for consoles and handhelds, but times are changing. Technology is changing. The demographs that are targeted by these devices are changing. If you can't see that, then its time to open your eyes.

What would be so hard about playing pokemon on a touch screen? There is nothing about pokemon that is dependent on buttons, same goes for most turn based rpgs.

The original gameboy had a d-pad and three buttons, if you include Start. This could easily be done virtually. What's your point? In fact, playing an emulated gameboy/advance on ios works beautifully. Even if you played in Portrait, the total real estate of the screen is just about the same size as both the top and bottom DS screens. More than enough room to accommodate.

Its not an embellishment at all. There are so many stories of one guy in his basement, literally, making one game that took off. Look at OpenFeint. It started with Aurora Feint, a great, clever gyro-based puzzle game. It was tremendous fun, and the guy was an overnight success. Made millions. Then there was that british guy that made that train game. There are tons of success stories out there.

The point here is penetration. Sure, there are what, ~24 million 3DS' in the wild right now? Well there are over 835,000,000 iOS devices out there. I'm not even going to try to get into how many gajillion Android devices there are.

If even just ONE percent of those iOS device owners purchased a Nintendo game for $39.99, that would be $333,916,500.

By comparison, if even 10% of 3DS owners purchased a 39.99 game, that would only come out to $95,976,000

Based off of the numbers I have, the DS sold around 154 million units. Pokémon Black/White 2 are sitting around 6 million sold. At that rate, BW2 is only selling at about 4%.

With that math in mind, let's apply that to the 3DS. That's 960,000 copies of Pokemon Gen 6.
That's $38,390,400 at 39.99. Of course these numbers are going to be dramatically off. Gen 6 will sell millions for sure.

Let's say we sell 4% of our iOS device owners a Pokémon game. So about 1 in every 25 people. I think that's fair. If 4% of every iOS device sold a $39.99 Pokémon game, that would be $1,335,666,000. And that's JUST iOS.

Nintendo has tremendous brand strength. Applying those brands to a larger market would do nothing but good across the board, no matter how you cut it.

pachah1.png
@ this whole post, especially the bolded.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I'm a Bulbapedia user so I will pass this time.

(And 9 out of 10 apps don't work with my iTouch 2g so...)

Comandr

I'm a Bulbapedia user so I will pass this time.

(And 9 out of 10 apps don't work with my iTouch 2g so...)

Have you tried iPokédex by UberGames? It's a tremendous fount of information as well as external links to Bulbapedia, Veekun, Serebii, and Smogon, from each pokemon's page.

jman2050

Its not an embellishment at all. There are so many stories of one guy in his basement, literally, making one game that took off. Look at OpenFeint. It started with Aurora Feint, a great, clever gyro-based puzzle game. It was tremendous fun, and the guy was an overnight success. Made millions. Then there was that british guy that made that train game. There are tons of success stories out there.

Yes, and for every success story there's a thousand misses because, surprise, there's only so many dollars to go around. I could mention my general suspicion of the F2P model in general, but I'll save that for another time.

The point here is penetration. Sure, there are what, ~24 million 3DS' in the wild right now? Well there are over 835,000,000 iOS devices out there. I'm not even going to try to get into how many gajillion Android devices there are.

If even just ONE percent of those iOS device owners purchased a Nintendo game for $39.99, that would be $333,916,500.

By comparison, if even 10% of 3DS owners purchased a 39.99 game, that would only come out to $95,976,000

Based off of the numbers I have, the DS sold around 154 million units. Pokémon Black/White 2 are sitting around 6 million sold. At that rate, BW2 is only selling at about 4%.

With that math in mind, let's apply that to the 3DS. That's 960,000 copies of Pokemon Gen 6.
That's $38,390,400 at 39.99. Of course these numbers are going to be dramatically off. Gen 6 will sell millions for sure.

Let's say we sell 4% of our iOS device owners a Pokémon game. So about 1 in every 25 people. I think that's fair. If 4% of every iOS device sold a $39.99 Pokémon game, that would be $1,335,666,000. And that's JUST iOS.

Nintendo has tremendous brand strength. Applying those brands to a larger market would do nothing but good across the board, no matter how you cut it.

This is about as blatant an abuse of math as I've ever seen. Really dangerous stuff you have going there. I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just skip straight to the end: Every single assumption made in this argument is based on nothing and thus the entire premise is null and void.

Of course, I make my own share of assumptions that may or may not be correct, but I'm not silly enough to use figures and numbers where they don't belong.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Precisely what part of this is bullshit? It's totally the truth. Handhelds aren't nearly as important as they were 10 years ago, and virtually every smart device out these days can run circles around them.

Also: Consoles are becoming, too, a thing of the past. I'm far from the first person to think this. We are fast hitting a ceiling where next gen consoles are just basically powerful PCs, and for the price of a PS3 (at launch), you could have bought a pretty decent gaming computer.

I am all for consoles and handhelds, but times are changing. Technology is changing. The demographs that are targeted by these devices are changing. If you can't see that, then its time to open your eyes.

I think you're grossly overestimating the power and rate of growth of handheld technologies. Even the most powerful handheld hardware isn't as powerful as the 360 or PS3 in terms of graphical capabilities.

Are they good enough for lots of people? Perhaps. And this may cause the dedicated gaming market to shrink somewhat, but it certainly won't go away any time soon. Considering the price aversion you see in the mobile markets, I think we're more likely to see dedicated console/PC-quality games disappear completely before they ever appear on mobile devices.

Comandr

Yes, and for every success story there's a thousand misses because, surprise, there's only so many dollars to go around. I could mention my general suspicion of the F2P model in general, but I'll save that for another time.

I appreciate your opinion here and I certainly agree with you on the free to play model, but I did say earlier that "well-marketed games" are still raking in tons of cash. Its true that there are thousands of games that never get noticed. I don't ever foresee that being the case with a Nintendo IP though, and that's what we're talking about here.

This is about as blatant an abuse of math as I've ever seen. Really dangerous stuff you have going there. I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just skip straight to the end: Every single assumption made in this argument is based on nothing and thus the entire premise is null and void.

Of course, I make my own share of assumptions that may or may not be correct, but I'm not silly enough to use figures and numbers where they don't belong.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. I'm not doing complicated math and I'm not trying to establish what percentage of these sales are still live and viable.

Here is my source for iOS sales. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...s-84m-ipads-400m-ios-devices-350m-ipods-sold/

Take 1% of that gross number, and then times 39.99. Done. That's all I calculated. Quick and dirty. But that is precisely the same kind of calculations that investors are doing, and they're the ones pressuring Nintendo to drop the whole handheld thing, (and at this state with the Wii U, probably the whole hardware thing.) which brings me to my original point. Nintendo has a lot to gain from developing on mobile, and almost nothing to lose.

Comandr

I think you're grossly overestimating the power and rate of growth of handheld technologies. Even the most powerful handheld hardware isn't as powerful as the 360 or PS3 in terms of graphical capabilities.

Are they good enough for lots of people? Perhaps. And this may cause the dedicated gaming market to shrink somewhat, but it certainly won't go away any time soon. Considering the price aversion you see in the mobile markets, I think we're more likely to see dedicated console/PC-quality games disappear completely before they ever appear on mobile devices.

With respect, I think I am dead on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvhHiJuQ7ck

This is a demonstration of a game that was used to demo the ipad 3. That game ran at 2048x1536 at, I believe, at least 30 frames. On top of that, the iPad 4 ( which I know admittedly little about) is twice as fast across the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajkTOGEexo

Lili, an iOS game built with the Unreal engine, looks like a decent current-gen game. Not tons of bells and whistles, but pretty good looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-4oYlN5ySU

Gaming and price points will be a really interesting evolution in the next couple years, for certain, especially if next gen console game development surges again, and we're looking at the 70 dollar game.

Diablos54

Take 1% of that gross number, and then times 39.99. Done. That's all I calculated. Quick and dirty. But that is precisely the same kind of calculations that investors are doing, and they're the ones pressuring Nintendo to drop the whole handheld thing, (and at this state with the Wii U, probably the whole hardware thing.) which brings me to my original point. Nintendo has a lot to gain from developing on mobile, and almost nothing to lose.[
You think the majority of iOS users are going to buy $40.00 games? Not going to happen.

And the bolded is ridiculous, Nintendo make more money off Mario Kart alone than the whole of iOS does.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Here is my source for iOS sales. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...s-84m-ipads-400m-ios-devices-350m-ipods-sold/

Take 1% of that gross number, and then times 39.99. Done. That's all I calculated. Quick and dirty. But that is precisely the same kind of calculations that investors are doing, and they're the ones pressuring Nintendo to drop the whole handheld thing, (and at this state with the Wii U, probably the whole hardware thing.) which brings me to my original point. Nintendo has a lot to gain from developing on mobile, and almost nothing to lose.

400 million iOS devices sold to date.

Let's be generous and say 100 million of those devices are 3GS-level and below, thus they will probably not be supported starting next year.

So, 300 million devices. How many of these are upgrade purchases? How many of these are owned by the same person (iPhone + iPad owners)? That reduces the number by quite a bit.

Next, let's try to find out how many of these people have any interest in playing games. With dedicated handhelds, we know that just about all purchasers are interested in playing video games. With mobile devices like the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, we have no idea.

Finally, try and find some sales data for games that are priced at $39.99... oh wait there haven't been any. $29.99? They'll laugh in your face. $19.99? They'll call you Square-Enix or Scamco. $9.99? Now you may get people's attention. $5.99 or lower is more realistic for mass acceptance in a market where $0.99 + IAP is the standard.

According to Epic, the Infinity Blade franchise earned $30 million in sales as of January, 2012. I think the games were priced around $5 or $6 with sales that temporarily brought it down to $0.99. Let's say the average purchase was at $3 just for the hell of it. That means 10,00,000 copies of the game sold to make $30 million. That probably gives you a better idea of what to expect when selling a game on a mobile platform. Sure, Pokémon is more popular than Infinity Blade, but there's no reason to believe it would make more in cash dollars, especially when you consider all of the lost money from people not buying your dedicated hardware systems and getting locked into your own personal ecosystem.

Ondore

What does Nintendo have to lose for taking the 70% of revenue from making mobile games?

Well, they'd lose 100% of the revenue from the sale of hardware. And they'd lose whatever percentage of 3rd party game sales they collect as royalties.

What company in their right mind would give that up?

Comandr

You think the majority of iOS users are going to buy $40.00 games? Not going to happen.

And the bolded is ridiculous, Nintendo make more money off Mario Kart alone than the whole of iOS does.

Well Nintendo is obviously not very interested in selling their digital titles for less than their retail ones. That's all I'm basing my pricing structure off of.

Also: Square is selling their ancient Final Fantasy games for anywhere between 9 and 16 dollars a pop. And these are just ports of games that have already made all the money they were expected to when they first released. If that's not gouging I don't know what is.

Comandr

400 million iOS devices sold to date.

Let's be generous and say 100 million of those devices are 3GS-level and below, thus they will probably not be supported starting next year.

So, 300 million devices. How many of these are upgrade purchases? How many of these are owned by the same person (iPhone + iPad owners)? That reduces the number by quite a bit.

Next, let's try to find out how many of these people have any interest in playing games. With dedicated handhelds, we know that just about all purchasers are interested in playing video games. With mobile devices like the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, we have no idea.

Finally, try and find some sales data for games that are priced at $39.99... oh wait there haven't been any. $29.99? They'll laugh in your face. $19.99? They'll call you Square-Enix or Scamco. $9.99? Now you may get people's attention. $5.99 or lower is more realistic for mass acceptance in a market where $0.99 + IAP is the standard.

According to Epic, the Infinity Blade franchise earned $30 million in sales as of January, 2012. I think the games were priced around $5 or $6 with sales that temporarily brought it down to $0.99. Let's say the average purchase was at $3 just for the hell of it. That means 10,00,000 copies of the game sold to make $30 million. That probably gives you a better idea of what to expect when selling a game on a mobile platform. Sure, Pokémon is more popular than Infinity Blade, but there's no reason to believe it would make more in cash dollars, especially when you consider all of the lost money from people not buying your dedicated hardware systems and getting locked into your own personal ecosystem.

Haha. You caught me! I totally read it wrong. I lopped iPods in with the Touch line. I really applaud you for taking the time to write all this out. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With respect, I think I am dead on.

You're not. I'm not saying the games can't look great on mobile platforms. Look at something like Uncharted for the Vita. It does a good job of mimicking the PS3 games. The GPUs in these things are able to use a lot of modern graphics technologies, which can make them look similar to the current-gen console games. They really don't come very close at all in terms of raw power, though. Try putting something like even the original Gears of War or Uncharted on one of these devices and it just won't fly. The gap is only going to get magnitudes larger when the next consoles are released.

Valnen

I'd buy this if that Pokedex voice from the show read the entries off. And if I had an iOS device. Saving up for a Nexus 4 instead.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The App Store has generated some 3.5 billion in revenue. I somehow doubt that the DS version of Pokemon have done that.

How much of that is from games? Are we talking payments to publishers/developers or total amount including Apple's cut?

jman2050

I appreciate your opinion here and I certainly agree with you on the free to play model, but I did say earlier that "well-marketed games" are still raking in tons of cash. Its true that there are thousands of games that never get noticed. I don't ever foresee that being the case with a Nintendo IP though, and that's what we're talking about here.

Fair enough, but I don't think just being a Nintendo IP is a license to sell 100 million copies of a $40 game, or even anywhere close to that.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. I'm not doing complicated math and I'm not trying to establish what percentage of these sales are still live and viable.

Take 1% of that gross number, and then times 39.99. Done. That's all I calculated. Quick and dirty.

No no, your calculations are sound, but it's an abuse of math because the calculations don't tell me anything and have no real basis. It's very very dangerous to draw conclusions and figure out a problem who's very premise is based on an assumption, and even more dangerous to form an implication between two data points without understanding what you are doing. The whole thing completely falls apart on this single line:

With that math in mind, let's apply that to the 3DS.

Why should we apply the ratio of DSes to BW2 copies to 3DS? No, this is not an obvious question, and intuition or "common sense" does no good because it doesn't prove any causation. Heck, you even said about as much when you immediately said

Of course these numbers are going to be dramatically off. Gen 6 will sell millions for sure.

So why even state that in the first place? Because you then went on to undermine the argument further by making an even MORE baseless implication.

Let's say we sell 4% of our iOS device owners a Pokémon game. So about 1 in every 25 people. I think that's fair.

You're making a hollow and meaningless connection between the ratio of DSes sold to copies of BW2 sold so far and a theoretical ratio of iOS pokemon sold to iOS devices sold. Since there's no established correlation between those two figures that would allow the first ratio to imply the second, I'm left with the iOS number that allows me to ask the following question: What is the logic that allows a theoretical 4% attach rate on a theoretical Pokemon game released for iOS? You can't answer this question, and neither I nor Nintendo nor anyone else can answer that question.

Now it may seem like I'm picking on you, but you provided a very convenient reason for why this is worth exploring:

But that is precisely the same kind of calculations that investors are doing, and they're the ones pressuring Nintendo to drop the whole handheld thing, (and at this state with the Wii U, probably the whole hardware thing.)

If this is indeed true (can't say for sure, I just know that greed makes stupid people say and think stupid things) then that's very dangerous thinking and definitely the type of misapplication of logic that Nintendo should completely ignore. I can't say how much of a problem the mobile market will present in the long run for Nintendo and what they may have to ultimately do about it, but they certainly aren't going to be using logic like that as a sound basis for decision making. At least if they're not stupid.

which brings me to my original point. Nintendo has a lot to gain from developing on mobile, and almost nothing to lose.

Nintendo has plenty to lose. My post is long enough as is but it's a gross oversimplification to assume that any potential significant mobile development would just exist in a vacuum and not have effects on other parts of their business.

The App Store has generated some 3.5 billion in revenue. I somehow doubt that the DS version of Pokemon have done that.

They would need to have sold 116 million games to do that. Just some rough numbers I was able to find place them at about half that when you amass DPP/HGSS/BW/BW2.

Yes, Nintendo has grossed roughly HALF of the entire lifetime gross of the app store in one franchise (not counting spinoffs) in a single handheld generation.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
You're not. I'm not saying the games can't look great on mobile platforms. Look at something like Uncharted for the Vita. It does a good job of mimicking the PS3 games. The GPUs in these things are able to use a lot of modern graphics technologies, which can make them look similar to the current-gen console games. They really don't come very close at all in terms of raw power, though. Try putting something like even the original Gears of War or Uncharted on one of these devices and it just won't fly. The gap is only going to get magnitudes larger when the next consoles are released.

We also have to consider that mobile hardware is moving at a very fast pace because mobile hardware was far behind computer hardware. This huge gulf that suddenly gets a huge influx of cash and R&D means that hardware will move forward very fast.

There is still the limitations of heat and battery life, which will always keep them behind computer hardware (and by extension home consoles). This limitation will always ensure that mobile hardware will always be behind hardware that can be plugged in with a big box.

With that said, the gulf between the two is shrinking, but it will always be behind.

jerd

They would need to have sold 116 million games to do that. Just some rough numbers I was able to find place them at about half that when you amass DPP/HGSS/BW/BW2.

Yes, Nintendo has grossed roughly HALF of the entire lifetime gross of the app store in one franchise (not counting spinoffs) in a single handheld generation.

Not even counting the hardware profits gained from those who bought the system just for pokemon, but of course there is no way to calculate that. Cool stat.

Darryl

Banned

we no longer need a lot of things because they've been theoretically replaced by smartphones (and previously laptops), yet the market is still there. look at watches, shit the market has boomed on those things since smartphones came around. the idea that people are OK with a single device for everything is funny to me. maybe in 2040 or 2050 when people slow down on the consumption.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still find it weird that people somehow magically forget that they can just bookmark more useful websites.

Actually, it works beautifully.
Not my image btw.

Man, the DS games in Pokemon make the battle menu really better.

jerd

Man, the DS games in Pokemon make the battle menu really better.

I don't disagree at all. I love the DS games and I definitely think Nintendo should keep their dedicated hardware. I'm just saying that the reason isn't because the game would be difficult to control with just a touchscreen.

I don't disagree at all. I love the DS games and I definitely think Nintendo should keep their dedicated hardware. I'm just saying that the reason isn't because the game would be difficult to control with just a touchscreen.

I'm pretty much useless with a virtual d-pad. Everything else would be fine, in fact most of it would be improved considerably, but I can't stand moving a character via touch without a stylus.

jerd

I'm pretty much useless with a virtual d-pad. Everything else would be fine, in fact most of it would be improved considerably, but I can't stand moving a character via touch without a stylus.

It really isn't bad at all. I've put dozens of hours into Pokemon games in Gameboid and because the pace is slow it controls just fine. Most other games are awful on it, but I've never had a problem controlling Pokemon.

It really isn't bad at all. I've put dozens of hours into Pokemon games in Gameboid and because the pace is slow it controls just fine. Most other games are awful on it, but I've never had a problem controlling Pokemon.

Agreed. Also, I think a method of control like how Square Enix handles character movement in Chaos Rings would be more than adequate for Pokemon. It very easily translates into the touch screen ecosystem...probably the most out of any Nintendo IP.

TxdoHawk

I'm calling it now...the way Nintendo is going to finally do this is by porting over original Game Boy titles first. If they keep iOS ports far behind enough in the back catalog, they can reap the benefits of iOS without cannibalizing sales for their own portable systems.

I'm calling it now...the way Nintendo is going to finally do this is by porting over original Game Boy titles first. If they keep iOS ports far behind enough in the back catalog, they can reap the benefits of iOS without cannibalizing sales for their own portable systems.
lol not possible man do you know how much the remakes sells?

jman2050

Agreed. Also, I think a method of control like how Square Enix handles character movement in Chaos Rings would be more than adequate for Pokemon. It very easily translates into the touch screen ecosystem...probably the most out of any Nintendo IP.

I hated the virtual D-Pad in Chaos Rings for what it's worth.

And I'm not trying to decry the very obvious utility of a touch screen over buttons in many applications. That would be stupid. The thing is that the DS (and 3DS and Vita for that matter) make the whole debate moot because they have both methods of control.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Nintendo isn't going to start putting things out on iOS. At least not while they are still in the hardware business.

Why on Earth would they do this when they could release remakes exclusively for their own consoles and sell millions off the back of it?

Which is why next gen consoles won't be advertised as dedicated gaming machines ( especially since the next Xbox is going to be running windows and also be replacing cable boxes). I also like that you think Nintendo would make any money on iOS. Nintendo makes money off of its own hardware and makes money on the games they make on their hardware. Pokémon is 40$. Nintendo is also the publisher and developer of the game so besides the retailer cut(which is probably like 8$) they make full profit. Not to mention these games increase sells of their hardware ( which also generates a profit). How many serious iOS gamers are out there? How many of them is willing to pay 40$ for a game? You mentioned Nintendo making a add on controller for iOS. Would iOS gamers be willing to pay 140$ for this controller(because that is how much a ds cost)? What if I don't like iOS? You think I'm going to pay 300$ for a iPod touch, 140$ for a Nintendo add on controller and 40 $ to play Pokémon on iOS just so I can have Nintendo games on a smartphone? Android has way to many hardware variations and piracy is through the roof. Piracy is prevalent on iOS as well. 3ds has no piracy. People pirate 99¢ iOS apps all the time. You sure they won't pirate a 40$ Nintendo game? Nintendo makes money selling hardware. Tbh Wii fit probably made more money than every iOS game developer put together.

Top Bottom