• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokédex for iOS is released. Costs $24 to complete the entire Pokédex

Anth0ny

Smart

That's how it should be

I've seen bigger rip offs on ios, there's enough people that own idevices that they're bound to make money off a few suckers

The across the board price on the dex expansions means some regions are a better value than others. Kanto adds 151 new Pokemon, while Hoenn only around 130.

Oh well.

Comandr

Over Nintendo's dead body!

Seriously though, Nintendo owns the Pokemon Company and Creatures, Inc.

So basically, they have majority rule over the Pokemon IP.

Game Freak couldn't make a non-Nintendo Pokemon even if they wanted to. They'd get overruled.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. While wholly owned by Nintendo, the Pokémon Company is a subsidiary. This is why there already IS a Pokémon iOS game in Japan. I don't believe they can put any Pokémon games on direct competing platforms. So no consoles. But iOS isn't a console. Also: investors pressuring Nintendo know its a fucking gold mine.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the reviews:

JimmyDoes said:
Nintendo wants you to think you get a real Pokedex for $1.99. NO. You get a partial Pokedex and then they want you to buy a bunch of in-app-purchases to get the rest. $26 for a Pokedex? No thanks! There are better Pokedex in the App Store for $3.

Sanic

I don't really have a problem with the price. Somebody has to combat the value crunch that software in general is experiencing, even if I myself have benefited from it.

Firestorm

Terrible pricing. Screenshots show it's fairly ugly and doesn't even seem to list the info I'd actually want a mobile PokeDex for =/

LOCK

Haha Nintendo is probably going to actually make money off people who will buy this.

#56 in top paid apps.

#137 in top grossing apps. Wasn't on the list at all a few hours ago.

So yeah, if it continues to rise they are going to make a cheap killing.

Comandr

No, investors are being told iOS development will be a gold mine 5 years from now, which is a completely different and very tenuous claim.

A genuine Pokémon RPG on iOS would sell tens of millions, easy. I love Pokémon. But I hate lugging my 3DS around... anywhere. It's just an extra thing I don't want to have to carry. Being able to catch, battle, trade, and become the master on my phone would be... being able to play with people in my contact list? Yes. Yes yes yes. There would be no words for how amazing that would be.

When the App Store first launched, it WAS a gold mine. Hundreds and thousands of people became rich overnight because they had great ideas, there was a huge market for it, and people wanted it. New, well-marketed games are raking in the cash all the time on the App Store, and Pokémon is no exception. There has been a huge influx of "monster training" games on the App Store lately, and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that those developers know there is a huge desire for Pokémon that's not being fulfilled. Investors see that too.

jerd

A genuine Pokémon RPG on iOS would sell tens of millions, easy. I love Pokémon. But I hate lugging my 3DS around... anywhere. It's just an extra thing I don't want to have to carry. Being able to catch, battle, trade, and become the master on my phone would be... being able to play with people in my contact list? Yes. Yes yes yes. There would be no words for how amazing that would be.

When the App Store first launched, it WAS a gold mine. Hundreds and thousands of people became rich overnight because they had great ideas, there was a huge market for it, and people wanted it. New, well-marketed games are raking in the cash all the time on the App Store, and Pokémon is no exception. There has been a huge influx of "monster training" games on the App Store lately, and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that those developers know there is a huge desire for Pokémon that's not being fulfilled. Investors see that too.

If people think the DS is cannibalizing 3DS sales, wait til something like this happens.

Comandr

If people think the DS is cannibalizing 3DS sales, wait til something like this happens.

Shrug. The 3DS was build around a gimmick that didn't take off. I say kill it and start with something that people actually want. Even Iwata said they "probably would not be incorporating 3D into any future devices."

Dedicated handheld systems ARE becoming a thing of the past. Why not start developing iOS games or Android games and sell a controller case to go with it. Maybe make it some kind of sinister successor to the eReader. Buy the games digitally or get the card to slot into the controller, and then the game data is transferred via bluetooth or something to the Nintendo GameZone iOS app.

jerd

Shrug. The 3DS was build around a gimmick that didn't take off. I say kill it and start with something that people actually want. Even Iwata said they "probably would not be incorporating 3D into any future devices."

Dedicated handheld systems ARE becoming a thing of the past. Why not start developing iOS games or Android games and sell a controller case to go with it. Maybe make it some kind of sinister successor to the eReader. Buy the games digitally or get the card to slot into the controller, and then the game data is transferred via bluetooth or something to the Nintendo GameZone iOS app.

But I want them to bring back the Gameboy branding! Actually I would buy a Gameboy branded Android phone... If they go that route then I'm with you.

Edit: Just so we're clear though, there is less than a fraction of a percent chance that Nintendo does this.

jman2050

Playing Pokemon with only a touch screen. That's a laugh and half right there.

When the App Store first launched, it WAS a gold mine. Hundreds and thousands of people became rich overnight because they had great ideas, there was a huge market for it, and people wanted it.

That's quite an embellishment unless you're talking about the entire staff of Rovio or something.

New, well-marketed games are raking in the cash all the time on the App Store, and Pokémon is no exception. There has been a huge influx of "monster training" games on the App Store lately, and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that those developers know there is a huge desire for Pokémon that's not being fulfilled. Investors see that too.

Why make a Pokemon for the App Store when you make more money just putting it on your own devices?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No, investors are being told iOS development will be a gold mine 5 years from now, which is a completely different and very tenuous claim.

I'll just note that it's been about 2 years, maybe 3 since the first time you and I had a conversation about this and you thought the inflection point was soon or imminent.

EulaCapra

$24 is nothing for a die-hard Pokefan.

Besides flipping through the 3D models, I just ran the free 3DS app for maybe 15 minutes before never touching it ever again. To each their own.

Comandr

But I want them to bring back the Gameboy branding! Actually I would buy a Gameboy branded Android phone... If they go that route then I'm with you.

Then have a Android/iOS GameBoy app, and that's where you either download or transfer your games. Then you could have a swanky gameboy (of your choice) themed controller case to protect your investment. Realistically speaking, handhelds were created because people wanted to play games on the go, but there was literally no way to do that at the time. Even simple GameBoy games were akin to NES experiences, so back then, you could have-- to an extent -- a console quality gaming experience on the go. The rift between the two experiences has grown exponentially, but so has mobile technology in just a few years. I would argue that based off of the rumored specs of the Galaxy S4 allegedly due out around April, its going to be more powerful than the Wii U. The next iPad should easily surpass the PS3 and 360, possibly the Wii U and then a year later, they might even rival next gen consoles. Mobile technology is growing by leaps and bounds, and if sales are any indication, that's exactly what people want to spend money on right now.

We no longer need dedicated handhelds to try to offer us sub-par console experiences when we all have smart devices that rival or surpass those experiences.

GameBoy... You and I have been through a lot together. You've been there almost my whole life. We've laughed together, cried together, and have many fond memories. I just want you to know, right now, before I say anything else, that will never change. I will never lose that. But its time that I moved on. I won't insult you by saying "It's not you," because it is you. I've changed, my needs have changed, and you don't satisfy me any more. I love you, but I'm just not in love with you any more.

Goodbye.

jerd

Pokemon games would work just fine without buttons.

Actually, it works beautifully.

5227963038_e78d95a870.jpg

Not my image btw.

Ondore

Terrible pricing. Screenshots show it's fairly ugly and doesn't even seem to list the info I'd actually want a mobile PokeDex for =/

Like RNG stuff, IVs and things of that nature? This is Pokemon Company, they wouldn't acknowledge that stuff anyway.

Also, for those yelling "TOO MUCH", you can get a portable Pokedex with much better art for $13.39 on Amazon, and in a much better portable format. Better bathroom reading, too.

jman2050

I'll just note that it's been about 2 years, maybe 3 since the first time you and I had a conversation about this and you thought the inflection point was soon or imminent.

I'm well aware of this conversation and I stand by what I said then (what I remember anyway). These things take time, you know!

LOCK

#43 in top paid.

#91 in top grossing.

I wonder how high it will go. Not bad for first day of release, and being unsuspected.

I feel a strange urge to buy for no reason at all...

#43 in top paid.

#91 in top grossing.

I wonder how high it will go. Not bad for first day of release, and being unsuspected.

I can see the feedback now:

"Nice app, can't wait for a playable game update thx! 5 stars!"

Comandr

Playing Pokemon with only a touch screen. That's a laugh and half right there.

The original gameboy had a d-pad and three buttons, if you include Start. This could easily be done virtually. What's your point? In fact, playing an emulated gameboy/advance on ios works beautifully. Even if you played in Portrait, the total real estate of the screen is just about the same size as both the top and bottom DS screens. More than enough room to accommodate.

That's quite an embellishment unless you're talking about the entire staff of Rovio or something.

Its not an embellishment at all. There are so many stories of one guy in his basement, literally, making one game that took off. Look at OpenFeint. It started with Aurora Feint, a great, clever gyro-based puzzle game. It was tremendous fun, and the guy was an overnight success. Made millions. Then there was that british guy that made that train game. There are tons of success stories out there.

Why make a Pokemon for the App Store when you make more money just putting it on your own devices?

The point here is penetration. Sure, there are what, ~24 million 3DS' in the wild right now? Well there are over 835,000,000 iOS devices out there. I'm not even going to try to get into how many gajillion Android devices there are.

If even just ONE percent of those iOS device owners purchased a Nintendo game for $39.99, that would be $333,916,500.

By comparison, if even 10% of 3DS owners purchased a 39.99 game, that would only come out to $95,976,000

Based off of the numbers I have, the DS sold around 154 million units. Pokémon Black/White 2 are sitting around 6 million sold. At that rate, BW2 is only selling at about 4%.

With that math in mind, let's apply that to the 3DS. That's 960,000 copies of Pokemon Gen 6.
That's $38,390,400 at 39.99. Of course these numbers are going to be dramatically off. Gen 6 will sell millions for sure.

Let's say we sell 4% of our iOS device owners a Pokémon game. So about 1 in every 25 people. I think that's fair. If 4% of every iOS device sold a $39.99 Pokémon game, that would be $1,335,666,000. And that's JUST iOS.

Nintendo has tremendous brand strength. Applying those brands to a larger market would do nothing but good across the board, no matter how you cut it.

Top Bottom