• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO Anniversary Event - Ash's Cap Pikachu invades yet another game

JoeM86

From the PR:

To celebrate Pokémon GO’s one-year anniversary, Niantic and The Pokémon Company today revealed that from now through July 13, Trainers will be able to find and catch Pikachu wearing Ash’s famous hat from the Pokémon animated series. A new featured store item, the Anniversary Box, which contains Incubators, Max Revives, Ultra Balls and a Raid Pass, will also be available for a limited time through the in-game shop at a discounted price.

So that's Sun & Moon, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, Shuffle and now GO that have been invaded by this.

No word on which hat, but it's most likely the movie hat

thedan001

So.....

The rumor of shiny Pikachu being added (along with current shiny Magikarp/Gyarados) was fake?

Alright then!

SuomiDude

That's it? For the freaking anniversary? Wow, what a disappointment.
So what would you suggest then? Any ideas? They've just updated the raid system a week ago, which is a huge update. It got tons of people (back) playing the game again and the groups we have now is amazing for this type of game.

Shoyz

I felt like Party Hat Pikachu felt a bit redundant and unexciting after hoarding Santa Hat Pikachus but it still got me to go out hunting.

A /third/ special Pikachu? Why not literally anyone else? A special Togepi to celebrate gen2 would have been cool.

I haven't kept up with GO recently but I'm surprised there's no anniversary clothing to unlock for your avatar. Or commemorative profile 'badges' for participating in the event would be fun. Anything but another Pikachu.

The ability to hoard special Pokemon takes some of the fun out of it as well, I'm a bit disappointed clothing unlocks aren't a thing you can apply to any Pokemon you catch instead (and could still be event unlocks). But that's another story I guess.
(Seriously though, it would be so much more fun to hunt to find a Hatted Pikachu, and when you catch it it unlocks the hat you can apply to one of your Pikachu from that point on and wilds go back to regular. So much better IMO!)

I don't know, another Pikachu hat is just really lame. How about double XP? Or double candy? Or some items for free for everyone who supported this freaking game and still plays it instead of a shameless discount for their real money shop.

As a lifelong Pokemon fan, there is no turn the series has taken that has distressed and disappointed me more than its crossover with the anime.

As I lay here, suffering, I curse Ash's hat. I curse his Greninja. I curse it all.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So what would you suggest then? Any ideas? They've just updated the raid system a week ago, which is a huge update. It got tons of people (back) playing the game again and the groups we have now is amazing for this type of game.

A shirt with some "anniversary" stuff on it for everyone.
some special pokeball stuff

something nice like that.

I'm still pissed I missed the santa hat one. Will try to get this one , but I wish there was something a little bit more to celebrate .

zelas

Change all the pokemon to Digimon for the day.

PSFan

How about giving us an opportunity to get the exclusives from another continent? Maybe make them widely available for a limited time? Or how about having raids for a legendary like Mew or Mewtwo? Or how about implenting trading finally?

There's a lot better they could have done for a big thing like the first anniversary. You Hanke defenders are really getting annoying.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Just release the legendaries already. Niantic doesn't even need to release the gen 2 legendaries or the mews, they could just release the legendary bird trio and call it a day. Something like that would be much better for the first anniversary event.

SuomiDude

How about giving us an opportunity to get the exclusives from another continent? Maybe make them widely available for a limited time? Or how about having raids for a legendary like Mew or Mewtwo? Or how about implenting trading finally?

There's a lot better they could have done for a big thing like the first anniversary. You Hanke defenders are really getting annoying.
Why make regional exclusives if you just give them away?

The legendaries will be saved for the 5th level raids, and they said people who take part in raids a lot will get a chance to take part in those legendary raids.

And like I said, they just made a huge update with the raid system, so it's pretty unrealistic to except another huge update so soon after.

And if we "defenders" piss you off, what pisses me off is people who always complain about pretty much every update and event Niantic has for the game. Nothing seems to make you happy, you expect everything for free and so on. It's pretty annoying really.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

The legendaries will be saved for the 5th level raids, and they said people who take part in raids a lot will get a chance to take part in those legendary raids.

And like I said, they just made a huge update with the raid system, so it's pretty unrealistic to except another huge update so soon after.

And if we "defenders" piss you off, what pisses me off is people who always complain about pretty much every update and event Niantic has for the game. Nothing seems to make you happy, you expect everything for free and so on. It's pretty annoying really.

you are rude ._.

Wait, if I don't grind raids I won't get a chance for legendaries?

This company gets better and better...... Jesus Christ.

Piers

It feels like Niantic want high-level raids to succeed in the most socially awkward way possible. I'd like to partake in them but only until gyms indicate if there are players waiting in a lobby, and how many.

PSFan

Regional exclusives are a stupid idea to begin with. Those Pokemon are pretty much unobtainable for the majority of players. It shouldn't have been implemented in the first place.

Hanke and Niantic can go screw themselves. I'm done with this game.

im_dany

Pretty weak event tbh. They should've gone all in: double xp, double candies, more raids eveywhere. And some special clothes for the trainer.

I guess it hasn't started it, has it? I've been away for a few months and noticed I couldn't open the store if I had a Pokemon in a gym, for some reason. Right now I can but I only have 139 coins :(

SuomiDude

Wait, if I don't grind raids I won't get a chance for legendaries?

This company gets better and better...... Jesus Christ.
Well nothing is official yet, but that's the word at the moment yes. But you get one raid pass for free every day (if you don't have one), and you can simply use them on 1 or 2 star raids which are easy even by yourself, so it's not that bad. Also higher level raids reward with more great items, so it's not so much grinding if you think about it that way.

Also it shouldn't be too hard to find people for raids. I mean we use a simple Facebook group in our town and it works so well. There's people all around the town, so it's guaranteed you'll get info about raids and then we simply have a group of people to gather at those raids and we easily win 4 star raids. Btw, I haven't spend a single cent on the game, I use all the free stuff there is and the game's still been great and enjoyable. I'm level 33 and have quite a few good Pokémons, but the game still pulls me in for those raids to get more candies and better Pokémon.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
DED3fMQW0AILTCe.jpg:large

Minions

Kinda a bit of a let down I guess. Raids are also turning out to be another let down due to lack of people raiding. They need to let you use a gym pass and schedule a time to open the app and fight the gym remotely...

As a lifelong Pokemon fan, there is no turn the series has taken that has distressed and disappointed me more than its crossover with the anime.

As I lay here, suffering, I curse Ash's hat. I curse his Greninja. I curse it all.

You and me both. At least it's all optional and kept to a minimum.

Top Bottom