• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Pokémon GO' Cuts Off Access To Pokévision And Other Creature-Finding Apps

People have fun in different ways and everyone should accept that. Nobody was forcing you to use Pokevision, but Niantic has ruined it for the people who did want to use it. This is especially bad because their app completely lacks proper tracking, which was somewhat alleviated by Pokevison.

Even though I personally didn't get a chance to use Pokevison myself, it would've been a great tool to use because while it's cool to see what you can find just regularly walking, you will never get every Pokemon you want by doing that due to the fundamental design of the game. I don't have an infinite amount of time to stumble around and catch my millionth Pidgey either.

Posting this for the new page, but scanners still work. They can only scan once every 5 seconds though.

Pokevision was different in that it didn't require you to sign into a Pokemon Go profile, and I believe it used the scans from other users to populate its map. Other various apps which still require you to sign in work fine.

How was this enjoyable? It was cheating and not even fun. IT defeats the purpose of walking around and finding pokemon. I think hes right its hacking and not even fun.
So then you find RNG - The Game to be enjoyable then?

Right now the game in its current state is like playing a mainline Pokemon game but with invisible tall grass, whereupon finding a Pokemon, there's not only RNG for whether or not the Pokemon flees, but also RNG for whether or not the ball even hits the Pokemon.

Narag

What purists? Where are these mythical people who think this is a fun game without any way whatsoever to find the Pokemon you're looking for? Pokevision filled a hole Niantic themselves created when they broke the tracking feature, I think people were largely content to use the in-game tracking and accept its limitations as long as it actually worked.

Off the top of my head http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212007552&postcount=11700

it comes and goes with various people in the OT.

wamberz1

This'd be good if they fixed the footprint tracker.

this is what I'm thinking.

The trackers totally ruin the suspense of finding rare pokemon. But if they add the footprints back in and make them actually work, it could be really fun to go on a hunt to find good Pokemon.

NeonBlack

How was this enjoyable? It was cheating and not even fun. IT defeats the purpose of walking around and finding pokemon. I think hes right its hacking and not even fun.

Well when they break the real in-game tracker and never give any info on fixing it you don't really have a choice.

ZangBa

I'm all right with that. They are probably reworking their own tracker, although I don't really care if it's gone for good either.

Femto.

Barebones Pokemon game becomes even less since the recent update.

Mobile gaming ¯_(ツ)_/¯

They launched this app too early.

P44

What purists? Where are these mythical people who think this is a fun game without any way whatsoever to find the Pokemon you're looking for? Pokevision filled a hole Niantic themselves created when they broke the tracking feature, I think people were largely content to use the in-game tracking and accept its limitations as long as it actually worked.

I think the proper solution lies in between the Pokevision and the tracking system we had prior.

Footsteps with some loose directional aids at 3/2 footsteps to limit the circling around aimlessly bit.

Razmos

It wasn't even just the steps that were broken. Pokemon were showing up on the list that we're not actually there, distance meant nothing and made no sense and kept shuffling around randomly, pokemon were staying on the list when you were totally out of range or when the pokemon had already despawned.

It's just an absolute mess and pokevision made it actually fun.

I spent most of Thursday running around with friends catching pokemon on pokevision, it was really fun.

jax

Banned
Slowly destroying the Pokemon brand
This is my main issue and why I'm "over reacting" about this. I could give a shit about some dinky iPhone game, but the resurgence of Pokémon being handled by these blundering developers will likely leave a sour taste for Pokémon for years to come. Does Nintendo just not give a shit? Surely they have numbers to look at and they can see a steady decline in daily users. Do they just think that's unavoidable due to being a relatively new player in the mobile market? I don't get it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They've also made the catch rate much lower for pokemon. You will be forced to use many more pokeballs to catch weak level pokemon and often times they flee
Is that why a level 15 took 4 balls yesterday?!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm out.

Too many hoops.

There is potential for a good experience here, but Niantic seems to be content making bad decisions.

Teknoman

Depends on why you played. The sociability factor was much higher in my city because of the app.

Well the reason why the game exploded in the first place was the original nearby tracker function, which kept the adventure / mystery factor high. They need to be more vocal about fixes, but stuff like pokevision would eventually stop the fun. It's like using a game shark or pro action replay back on the day.

Of course this is in the line of thinking that the radar will be fixed very soon. Too many vocal people and the game is too popular not to. It would be akin to breaking perks in cod and leaving them that way.

Also every company has server issues even though they are aware of popularity. Happens every big online franchise release and every Christmas with xbl or psn. Steam sales too.

Hieberrr

Something like this should be implemented.

JVH8ULH.png

(Distance just an example)

PSFan

Really? Another person who thinks because they don't think it's fun or enjoyable that everyone shouldn't? And you still do plenty of walking around and finding Pokemon. It's not hacking or cheating. There's even something similar in the regular games in the Pokedex that shows what route a Pokemon can be found on.

You don't like it? Fine. But for many others it added to the fun and enjoyment of the game immensely.

Game is done. I'm not going to bother running around at random hoping Pokemon pop up. When the in game tracker worked, I'd fire up the app at home. If there was a Pokemon I wanted I'd go get it. Now that there's no indication it's not worth bothering with.

Kyonashi

They haven't said they're killing the tracking feature right? They've just removed it whilst they work to fix it I assume, rather than having an active but broken version. Whole lot of fuss over nothing, imo. And PokéVision was cheating anyway.

Great idea!
Go to war with your consuner base instead of focusing on making the gane better lol

Good luck with that mouse chase

Ridley327

This is my main issue and why I'm "over reacting" about this. I could give a shit about some dinky iPhone game, but the resurgence of Pokémon being handled by these blundering developers will likely leave a sour taste for Pokémon for years to come. Does Nintendo just not give a shit? Surely they have numbers to look at and they can see a steady decline in daily users. Do they just think that's unavoidable due to being a relatively new player in the mobile market? I don't get it.

Nintendo doesn't have a ton of input on this game to begin with. TPC is the one that really needs to kick Niantic's ass into shape.

Piers

Something like this should be implemented.

JVH8ULH.png

This is presumably what Niantic do not want in order to avoid encouraging people going into private areas or whatever, even though that's their fault and problem.

People say the tracking was bugged or causing stress, but I honestly think it was eventually toned down and then removed for health and safety concerns.

W1SSY

The issue with poke vision is that it allowed you to see things in a wide area with a timer. That goes against the spirit of these game of discovering things. People in this thread are proving the point of it not being in the spirit of the game by saying they caught a ton of rare stuff using it. They need to block stuff like this but also have to fix the footsteps system in the game.

Well the reason why the game exploded in the first place was the original nearby tracker function, which kept the adventure / mystery factor high. They need to be more vocal about fixes, but stuff like pokevision would eventually stop the fun. It's like using a game shark or pro action replay back on the day.

Of course this is in the line of thinking that the radar will be fixed very soon. Too many vocal people and the game is too popular not to. It would be akin to breaking perks in cod and leaving them that way.

Also every company has server issues even though they are aware of popularity. Happens every big online franchise release and every Christmas with xbl or psn. Steam sales too.

People only used the app because the tracker was garbage. The same would have happened with or without the app in terms of meeting humans.

And I'm not so sure people would quit playing just because they know the location of the pokemon. The apps weren't always correct, you still had to catch them, and you still had to arrive at said point. I used to fuck with gamesharks as a kid, and used to play games even longer because of that. But that's personal tastes, regardless.

Yeah they really should have waited until they fixed their own tracker first.

There's been questionable PR around this whole thing.

Teknoman

They haven't said they're killing the tracking feature right? They've just removed it whilst they work to fix it I assume, rather than having an active but broken version. Whole lot of fuss over nothing, imo. And PokéVision was cheating anyway.

I think the problem with mobile games or apps period is that you have to read patch notes in the App Store itself. The other issue is that they just said it was removed, but didn't say why or any rts when it would be fixed or revamped.

PaulLFC

Because surprise, what you consider "fun" may not line up 100% with what someone else considers "fun". If they like playing the game with the aid of Pokevision, who is anyone to tell them that they're wrong to do so? Nobody forces you to use Pokevision, so you play the game how you enjoy it and let everyone else do the same.

Azerth

They have not said anything about why they removed, why it was broken, if they are fixing it, or if it will ever come back

Somnid

I have found nothing to suggest there is any public API for Pokemon Go. It doesn't seem like they were allowed to use it, the extra traffic was possibly unwelcome, and the sprite rips sure didn't help. There's no need to dig into the gameplay aspects, it was problematic application for much broader reasons.

They've also made the catch rate much lower for pokemon. You will be forced to use many more pokeballs to catch weak level pokemon and often times they flee

Is there any concrete proof of that? There's a lot of rumor about how systems in this game work but the APK teardown doesn't mention it and without some numeric proof I'm not going to assume this is true.

On one hand, I could see why something like Pokevision hurts Pokemon Go, as it ruins the purpose of walking around and finding things.

Very much the opposite. Without any kind of tracking it's kind of like... well, I guess I'll open the app sometimes? Maybe? There's no way to know usefully what kinds of places will have anything interesting so there's no incentive to waste your time visiting random areas in the hope they'll be interesting somehow.

With Pokevision and the ability to know where you could find different Pokemon spawns, suddenly targeted exploration made much more sense. My family spent five hours hiking around an area park yesterday, we've been to five or six different parks or other public places we hadn't been to before, we've combed around neighborhoods and taken scenic routes back home after going out in order to hit up places with interesting spawns. We've met more of our neighbors in our apartment complex from running out after rare spawns in our courtyard than we did in two years living here before. It's made the entire thing much more engaging. Even without checking the app directly (because we usually didn't while we were out), just having the userbase have knowledge of where different Pokemon appear made the local community more enjoyable to participate in.

Now, yes, possibly exact locations with exact despawn times are too specific. I wouldn't blame Niantic for tweaking the available information and codifying public APIs that they can tamp down when needed, but the game is objectively far more enjoyable with the information level close to the Pokevision side instead of the current zero-info side.

Ridley327

The issue with poke vision is that it allowed you to see things in a wide area with a timer. That goes against the spirit of these game of discovering things. People in this thread are proving the point of it not being in the spirit of the game by saying they caught a ton of rare stuff using it. They need to block stuff like this but also have to fix the footsteps system in the game.

Does it really? You've been able to pinpoint where a Pokemon resides at in the mainline games since the original GB releases, where they tell you which route they're hiding at if they are able to be discovered freely in the region.

If anything, Pokevision and the like have exposed how garbage the updating is for Pokemon in an area, since you can have some that would have expired 5 minutes ago still appear in the rotation in the app. Where's the fun in that?

Darksheik

Well, a pity. I enjoyed it.
With the "pokemons near" feature somehow removed as well for now, I don't perceive it as a great move to improve the game.

tkscz

I didn't even know about 3rd party trackers. Though I doubt this will stop them, they'll figure a way around it. As for Niantic, I just can't see how a company can be this ignorant to the players enjoyment of their product.

Red

Is that confirmed, because aside from footprint removal, I haven't had any trouble. Caught Pokemon all the way home from a late night park run earlier.
Same. Been catching plenty of yellow/orange ringed Pokémon on the first or second ball.

Top Bottom