• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO Halloween 2017 event confirmed - Gen 3 Pokémon coming December

JoeM86

Gastly, Drowzee, Cubone, and other spooky Pokémon are back again this Halloween, and this time, they’re bringing some special friends! Sableye, Banette, and a few other Ghost-type Pokémon originally discovered in the Hoenn region will be making their first-ever appearance in Pokémon GO. The rest of the Pokémon first seen in the Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire video games will gradually arrive starting as early as December! We hope Trainers enjoy this special Halloween treat. The Halloween celebration will start on October 20 at 12:00 P.M. PDT and run until November 2 at 1:00 P.M. PDT.

A special Pikachu will be out celebrating Halloween in an all-new costume, and you can, too! Dress up your avatar for the occasion by wearing Mimikyu’s Disguise Hat. You’ll also earn extra Candy while you’re out trick-or-treating with your Buddy Pokémon: Candy rewards from catching, hatching, and transferring Pokémon will be doubled, and your buddy will find Candy twice as fast during the Halloween celebration! Last but not least, you’ll have the opportunity to stock up for your upcoming adventures with special boxes from the in-game shop, featuring items such as Raid Passes and Super Incubators.

http://www.pokemongolive.com/en/post/halloween2017
halloween2017.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqTTNgyJm-o

Not bad, but it could be a lot worse. We have Suicune on November, so there is time to get more coins from gyms, and to get more candies before 3rd gen. After that, it will be harder to get some pokemon.

JoeM86

But why do they keep structuring stuff like they don't know the playerbase has dropped significantly?

If they dropped everything instantly rather than gradually to retain interest, then they'd have high interest for a bit and then it drop with nothing ever able to pull it back up

The rest of the Pokémon first seen in the Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire video games will gradually arrive starting as early as December!
This sounds nice, but it seemed like a lot of people were expecting a staggered release of gen 3, with ghost types first and the full launch a few weeks later, not unlike the gen 2 babies in december-full launch in february or whatever.

This sounds like they're going to be drip-feeding gen 3 to us.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Legit!

I've been banking my coins too vs buying incubators with the idea that we'd have special boxes to buy when the event comes. I have like 450 coins banked.

I was hoping some kind of battle system update came before gen 3 so we could at least have working abilities since they are so important here. We need that and some rebalancing to the system instead of these weird targeted nerfs where certain pokemon just don't abide by the forumulas.

Without truant, Slaking is going to have like 5000+ CP unless they decide to just keep him out of the game like was done with certain other pokemon, or just nerf it specifically. Both being lame options.

zeemumu

If they dropped everything instantly rather than gradually to retain interest, then they'd have high interest for a bit and then it drop with nothing ever able to pull it back up

I'm talking about stuff like the raid system that assumes a bunch of people are still hanging out around that 7-Eleven that's a gym down the street to catch the Entei.

You'd be surprised, it still happens

Yep. Everytime there's a raid I can see people gathering. Even for more common ones. A few days ago, my GF, two random people and I formed a group on site and catched a Muk. Same with a Raikou, but coulndt catch it due to errors in the app :(

zeemumu

You'd be surprised, it still happens

It doesn't seem to happen over here unless it's an area that draws in large crowds regardless or you put in extra effort. Legendaries have occasionally shown up at the gym closest to me but no one is ever there (great for farming gyms for coins, not so much for raids)

T.O.P

Banned
I'm talking about stuff like the raid system that assumes a bunch of people are still hanging out around that 7-Eleven that's a gym down the street to catch the Entei.

Search for telegram / discord groups

We have a 100+ raid group in my relatively small city of 30k people

Toki767

Seems good to me,

The only probl the game has right now is the Mewtwo EX Raid distribution

I'm pretty convinced Mewtwo will turn into a regular raid for a week or something next year.

The EX Raid passes are fine in theory. If you live in a large city and are lucky enough to get an invite. In execution it's probably not as good though.

This sounds nice, but it seemed like a lot of people were expecting a staggered release of gen 3, with ghost types first and the full launch a few weeks later, not unlike the gen 2 babies in december-full launch in february or whatever.

This sounds like they're going to be drip-feeding gen 3 to us.

It's worth noting that the gen 2 announcement had similarly vague language. I'll be a little surprised if they don't follow a similar model here, with the ghost types coming first, then most of gen 3, then legendaries and special pokemon (kind of like how Ditto and presumably Delibird/Smeargle were separate releases).

The one thing that could complicate things is abilities, which aren't in Pokemon Go at the moment. But besides implementing new mechanics (if they are indeed adding abilities to the game), I don't really seem much reason for them to drip-feed gen 3. I think it's a lot harder to get people excited to catch 12 pokemon at a time, as opposed to 100+ all being released at once.

I'm pretty convinced Mewtwo will turn into a regular raid for a week or something next year.

The EX Raid passes are fine in theory. If you live in a large city and are lucky enough to get an invite. In execution it's probably not as good though.

Might be different in the States because of the sponsored ex-raids, but in Canada we've actually seen ex-raids mostly avoiding city centers in favour of suburban gyms instead.

Blizzard

Banned
I've never heard of a Mewtwo raid nearby, and even though there were some local raiding groups for the birds (with associated inter-group drama), I do hate the legendary system with its insane number requirement, low catch rate, and limited time.

It took me something like 7 raids to get a single legendary, and I never got Articuno. That combined with how very few people seem to do raids anymore and how high the numbers still are makes it pretty frustrating to try to play the game.

Would still like for some way to be able to catch Legendaries outside of raids. Make them super rare like Unown is, or allow the ability to join up with people online for Legendary Raids or something.

Because as of right now there's not enough people in my area playing that I'll ever be able to get any of the Legendaries....

I've never heard of a Mewtwo raid nearby, and even though there were some local raiding groups for the birds (with associated inter-group drama), I do hate the legendary system with its insane number requirement, low catch rate, and limited time.

It took me something like 7 raids to get a single legendary, and I never got Articuno. That combined with how very few people seem to do raids anymore and how high the numbers still are makes it pretty frustrating to try to play the game.

The low catch rate, that's legitimately a pain in the ass. The other two, though, I think are symptoms of having a raid system that caters very well to a group of players (organized urban players) and not very well to anyone else.

A week seems too short to put out legendary raids on a regular basis; I think it only worked well because of the fervor surrounding the birds, but it's easy to burn people out that way when they feel like they won't have another chance at a legendary bird for a very long time. On the other hand, if my neck of the woods is any indication, a month might be too long. People tend to go very hard on legendary raids at the beginning, but then trail off over time. If you're one of those unlucky people who's trying to catch a legendary beast at the end of the month, good luck. On some level, the deadline only matters so much; after about two weeks, player interest is the limiting factor, not the deadline.

As for the number of players: you can defeat an Entei with five reasonably geared people and a Raikou with six. And those are generous numbers; I've done an Entei with four, and that's with two people getting network errors and delays during the fight. I think the real problem is not everyone is able to get six people together, especially in rural areas. But there are only so many options to make raids work better for those people, and most of them involve making things easier. I think Niantic's goal is to avoid making all the raid content soloable, which I think is a fair goal. But that means the toughest raids are going to need more people, full stop. If you make the beasts easy to fight with, say, three people, then all the other raid content has to be doable with two or fewer. That's not a lot of wiggle room to work with.

Top Bottom