• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

I am so on the fence about getting this. I never finished Blue when I bought the VC release, I don't want this to suffer the same fate. But I really want to play

Plasmid

I am so on the fence about getting this. I never finished Blue when I bought the VC release, I don't want this to suffer the same fate. But I really want to play

I didn't beat red but wanted to get through before GS and I just did the infin item glitch to get rare candies.

Macka

I gladly eat crow if it happens, but I have no idea why you guys are so sure about Crystal. And if it's released, when?
It is absolutely coming. There's no reason it couldn't.

The only reason they're holding it back is because Yellow sold far more than Red & Blue, and they know they can get a lot of people twice if they release Gold & Silver first. And I mean we have the patch file for Crystal found in the 3DS eShop as well. What more proof do you need?

I think they'll probably release it in December. Only on 3DS of course.

Don't. I can already tell with all starters I'm ZOOMING through battles. I'm trying to go slow by catching other Pokemon and grinding them but idk where to go with my team.

Spinarak becomes super OP in endgame correct? Debating on that it ghastly to gengar.
Good point. I'll keep them boxed.

And...I don't think Spinarak's evolution is particularly powerful in this gen. Or any gen. :p

PfC27Kk.png

You would not believe how annoying it was to get an egg from a cart save into the VC release.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Wait why doesn't the other two starters show up in the Pokedex?
Because you never "caught" them. It's sort of like how if you hacked RBY (and probably GSC too) to change your Pokémon into another one, it wouldn't register unless you traded.

Apparently someone said if you drop them off at the daycare they'll register when you pick them up? Otherwise you need to breed them.

I'm extremely curious about this whole Murkrow thing. Especially cause of your avatar.

What's the story behind this Murkrow egg thing?
I planned out a team about a month ago but didn't want my Fly user to be Pidgeot or Togetic again, so I bred two Murkrow on my cart Gold in preparation. Bought Gold on my backup/modded 3DS today and (after discovering that the VC releases have a little annoying change in their saves that required hex editing) injected that save into the VC Gold, then traded with the Silver on my main 3DS.

I just like Murkrow and hate how it's locked until way after the Elite 4.

eefara

I planned out a team about a month ago but didn't want my Fly user to be Pidgeot or Togetic again, so I bred two Murkrow on my cart Gold in preparation. Bought Gold on my backup/modded 3DS today and (after discovering that the VC releases have a little annoying change in their saves that required hex editing) injected that save into the VC Gold, then traded with the Silver on my main 3DS.

I just like Murkrow and hate how it's locked until way after the Elite 4.

Whew, that's hardcore. Shame there's no Internet trading so Murkrows can proliferate.

Whew, that's hardcore. Shame there's no Internet trading so Murkrows can proliferate.
Yeah I set all of this up last year to get my Red save preserved on my PC but then 3DS homebrew became easy so I learned how to move the saves to the 3DS too. At least now I don't have to worry about Gold getting wiped after I replaced the battery 4 years ago.

ohyescoolgreat

Neo Member
I put a few hours into Gold last night and it has been an interesting experience so far. GSC were the games I played most in my childhood/early teens and until this day have held the most positive gaming memories for me. I was a little nervous that playing it again would make sour the experience as I would look at things differently but despite the nostalgia being strong, I've been able to appreciate the design of the game.
Some general thoughts...

-GenII towns have such diversity in their visual identity. I'm only 4 towns in so far but it didn't take me long to be reminded of that. Town's in Pokemon are usually a highlight for me and GSC's are comparable with SuMo.

-The soundtrack is as excellent as I remember - town themes are a particular standout and this links back to my point on the individual towns having more personality. The pace and feel of a town matches up well with the tracks chosen for them so far. I can't wait to hear the National Park theme again!

-GenII Pokemon designs (sprites and general concepts) are great. I made the mistake of scrolling through the Johto pokedex on Serebii to figure out what my team would be and now I have analysis paralysis. I never had Octillery on my team in previous playthroughs so I might try that this time.

-Limitations on Pokemon move sets show their age here. I don't think it was a significant problem when the game was new but it's jarring going back to it having played modern Pokemon games.

It is absolutely coming. There's no reason it couldn't.

The only reason they're holding it back is because Yellow sold far more than Red & Blue, and they know they can get a lot of people twice if they release Gold & Silver first. And I mean we have the patch file for Crystal found in the 3DS eShop as well. What more proof do you need?

I think they'll probably release it in December. Only on 3DS of course.

Rather play Gen II now than later in the year, I already have my Switch backlog + Samus Returns, I don't need a nostalgia trip after Odyssey, Zelda story DLC and Pokemon US/UM (if I decide to buy it). Hope it's worth the wait.

I've been playing too many fancy Gen 2 hacks like Prism. Everything I want to use has a really shitty moveset. I think i'm going to go far enough to get some transfers for USM.

eefara

Okay, I've gotten my second badge. Current team:

Onix, level 16 (Argilla)
Togepi, level 14 (Sera)
Zubat, level 15 (Cielo)
Totodile, level 15 (Serph)
Oddish, level 5, HM slave (EmbryonOne)

Still gotta get a Magmar and a Natu and the gang will be complete.

Frost_Ace

Okay, I've gotten my second badge. Current team:

Onix, level 16 (Argilla)
Togepi, level 14 (Sera)
Zubat, level 15 (Cielo)
Totodile, level 15 (Serph)
Oddish, level 5, HM slave (EmbryonOne)

Still gotta get a Magmar and a Natu and the gang will be complete.
Great team theme! Luv Digital Devil Saga!

Alright, I just started and decided to clone glitch for all the starters.
My first mistake was trying to catch a Jigglypuff and wasting all 5 PokeBalls on it.

I love the atmosphere of the towns in this game. Such great music.

I hope we get a soundtrack like this one again someday. Love the general vibe of it.

Nice! Keep with the updates, if you don't mind; they're really interesting to read!
Thats the plan, speaking of I thought I was done for the night but Pokemon is just too addictive XD

Nuzlocke Update!

Version: Silver
Badges: 2
Pokemon Dead: 0
Pokemon Owned: 17 (This goes up with evolutions btw XD)

Current Party:
Bayleef (Stassi) Level 16 *NEWLY EVOLVED!!*
Geodude (Dudebro) level 16
Pidgeotto (Coco) level 18 *NEWLY EVOLVED!!*
Flaaffy (Tsuyana) level 16 *NEWLY EVOLVED!!*
Beedrill (Stabi) level 10
Zubat (Sreek) Level 4

Pokemon in the bank:
Sentret (Tren)
Gastley (Wizwick)
Togepi (Eggberta)
Rattata (Triss)
Slowpoke (Estra)
Oddish (Zonni)

Current thoughts: Second gym down, went ahead and did the rival fight and then rushed into the forest since it was night so I could go ahead and capture an Oddish as the only thing I could get during the day was a Paras and just... no. Left the area to the right of the Slowpoke Well untouched so I can catch a Pokemon there tomorrow morning sometime but playing at night got me both the Gastley from earlier as well as the Oddish now so thats good. I don't remember how soon you can get a Vileploom but I know that will be a great grass replacement if my Bayleef dies.

Lots of evolutions this time, my Pidgey went from level 13 to 18 all from the second gym I thought during the leader fight I'd have to switch into my Geodude but she was able to take out even the Scyther without much trouble. The rival fight was also fairly easy, I remember it being much harder in the remakes but it wasn't hard here at all since I outleveled pretty much everything he had.

Interesting thing is I haven't really been grinding at all, I got my Bayleef like a little extra experience just hunting for a Slowpoke in the well but only time I was actively trying to level up was before the first gym with my Geodude.

So far so good, from my experience doing Nuzlockes on the remakes its really the 3rd and 4th Gym's where things really start getting much harder (seriously the Gengar in the 4th gym in HG/SS is freaking OP as hell) and I already know the Miltank will be difficult but with a Geodude on my side (which also now has Magnitude) I don't think it'll be to much trouble.

I'm happy with the 4 of my Pokemon I'm actively using, still haven't caught something I'd really take out the Beedrill for as of yet, might throw Fury Cutter on it to give it a stab move that might be useful in the right situations but I'm undecided atm. Even if the 3rd gym is easy its really the 4th gym I'm worried about right now as I don't have anything thats really able to sweep ghost types (well Geodude and Magnitude but it'll die so quickly against a ghost attack) as of yet but we'll have to see what I'm able to catch going forward and hope for the best.

Trying to not think to far ahead (although I do see a few holes in my team/box with Pokemon like Geodude who I can't evolve all the way because of the no trading rule I use) but so far so good, that first death is coming though, I can feel it.

Wait so we don't get version specific themes if we didn't order it from the eShop??? That stinks!

Anybody want to sell their Gold Theme please??? I'll pay for it. I really want that theme.

I love the atmosphere of the towns in this game. Such great music.

I hope we get a soundtrack like this one again someday. Love the general vibe of it.
I can think of only maybe two middling tracks in this game, the rest of the OST is just perfect. Currently looking for Slowpoke in the Well and that's probably the best cave theme in the series.

Delio

I'm pretty much running with Croconaw,Kadabra,Magmar and Fearow right now. Between the four of them they are just smoking fools.

CazTGG

They both have the same stats but Charizard has the advantage in the move set department due to being duel typing giving Charizard immunity to one type, plus he can learn dragon type moves.

Right, but it only learns two Flying moves, neither of which are particularly good, and it has a 4x weakness where Typhlosion doesn't. Right now, i'm struggling to come up with a 6th member for my team if I go with Charizard (I can't decide between Nidoking, Donphan or Umbreon) whereas it's much simpler with Typhlosion: Dragonite.

batfax

So we're guaranteed to keep Shiny if we transfer to modern versions, right?

'cause I just found a shiny Zubat in the cave on my way to Azalea Town.

Delio

Funny moment i wanted to share. Earlier when i faced Whitney i only had Croconaw and Spearow. Croconaw actually got a freeze on Miltank with Ice punch and made the rest of the fight a cake walk. Gotta love the cheese.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I'm kind of pissed that Crystal isn't being released.

I used to love Generation 2, but at this point I wouldn't bother with Gold or Silver even if they were free.

I'll buy Crystal day one if it ever happens.

dyreschlock

Has anyone in the US been able to confirm if you get the Gym Theme from Amazon? I don't see any mention of it on the Amazon listing.

Pokemon_gold_and_silver_screenshot_of_special_nintendo_3ds_theme_featuring_trainers_and_gym_leaders.jpg

I bought Gold and Silver through Amazon, but haven't gotten any codes for the Celebi in Sun and Moon. I have two codes for this theme, though, which I don't really want.

If anyone wants to trade their unused Celebi code for a code for this theme, let me know. :)
(Edit: Both have been claimed. Thank you.)

Used the starter glitch. Just got out of Ilex Forest. Now I have

Buttfire the Cyndaquil (lv 17)
Chickaboo the Chikorita (lv 15) - the actual starter I picked this time
Gatortot the Totodile (lv 15)
Owlexandra the Hoothoot (lv 14)
Mary the Flaffy (lv 15)
Toga Party the Togepi (lv 12)

Go Team Boring!

Not evolving the starters right away because I want to see if withdrawing them from the daycare actually works for getting their Pokedex entries.

Been having a lot of fun trying to just plow through the game. I think I'm at 16 caught or so? Also Gold/Silver's poor level curve means there's not nearly as much pressure to grind, although I won't have a choice against Whitney. Maybe get everyone up to 20 or so.

Used the starter glitch. Just got out of Ilex Forest. Now I have

Buttfire the Cyndaquil (lv 17)
Chickaboo the Chikorita (lv 15) - the actual starter I picked this time
Gatortot the Totodile (lv 15)
Owlexandra the Hoothoot (lv 14)
Mary the Flaffy (lv 15)
Toga Party the Togepi (lv 12)

Go Team Boring!

Not evolving the starters right away because I want to see if withdrawing them from the daycare actually works for getting their Pokedex entries.

Been having a lot of fun trying to just plow through the game. I think I'm at 16 caught or so? Also Gold/Silver's poor level curve means there's not nearly as much pressure to grind, although I won't have a choice against Whitney. Maybe get everyone up to 20 or so.

You could probably deal with Withney by abusing Flaaffy's Thunder Wave which comes at level 18.
Might take a couple of tries for the paralysis to work out in your favour though.

It's what I'm going to try anyway, my team will probably be something like ~lvl 20 Crocnaw and Flaaffy as relevant battlers by the time I get there.

---

Looks like we already had someone find a shiny in the thread. I wonder if we'll see reports of the fabled pokerus.

Macka

'cause I just found a shiny Zubat in the cave on my way to Azalea Town.
I was wondering when someone here would find one. Congrats dude. Full odds too - 1 in 8193!

And yeah, as far as I know the issue with the shiny DV's was ironed out in one of the last updates.

This is probably the only gen where Abra doesn't need a ton of babying before it becomes useful.
Just slap some elemental punches on it and you're good to go.

Caught a Pineco last night and a Heracross just now. That wasn't nearly as annoying as I remember it being.

btw Heracross can totally flee, use a Gastly with Mean Look to get one.

Link_enfant

For everyone using a European/Australian 3DS, we sadly can't have the exclusive themes when using the retail versions by entering the code. That sucks, really.

I'l be getting the games directly from the eShop to get those themes, I already bought the retail versions for my collection but I won't be using the included codes as I intended first.

If anyone's interested in the retail codes at a lower price (which will give you the event Celebi code but not the exclusive 3DS theme code), feel free to PM me. :)

dc89

Started the game, got my three starters and now I have to nip out somewhere.
Out of interest, do the starters register as caught in the Pokedex considering this is a glitch?

Robin64

Started the game, got my three starters and now I have to nip out somewhere.
Out of interest, do the starters register as caught in the Pokedex considering this is a glitch?

Nope, you'll have to come up with another way to get them registered later.

Arcia

Banned
Just fyi in case anyone here is confused about where they can view their celebi and theme download codes, they should be viewable in the receipt for the game on the eshop. I accidentally clicked past the codes when they showed up on screen after the download finished, so at first I panicked and was thinking I lost them, but I dug through the eshop settings and managed to find my receipt for the game in my account history!

Robin64

Only the Pikachu Bed, Unown Doll, and Tentacool Doll are exclusive to Pokémon Stadium 2 Mystery Gift. Everything else should be available using the standard Mystery Gift function with another player. The question is, does this version still have it? Someone needs to get to Goldenrod to see.

Only the Pikachu Bed, Unown Doll, and Tentacool Doll are exclusive to Pokémon Stadium 2 Mystery Gift. Everything else should be available using the standard Mystery Gift function with another player. The question is, does this version still have it? Someone needs to get to Goldenrod to see.
Just tested it, it works. Got Eon Mail on my Gold and Gengar Doll on my Silver. I'm not sure if it actually uses the IR port or not but I had to get the 3DSes pretty close with the lid halfway up for it to work.

Also no, before anyone else tries it, you can't mystery gift with an actual Gameboy.

I woke up on noonish yesterday and managed to reach Ecruteak City, Beat Morty, got the Surf HM, and returned to Union Cave to grab the Lapras just before the day ended.

Yes, I did play Pokemon Silver for almost six hours straight just to get one Pokemon.

And yes, I know you could change the time of day with a secret code on the title screen.

My team right now is a Quilava, Noctowl, Flaffy, Eevee (plan on evolving it to Espeon), and that Lapras. Have a Paras and Poliwhirl so I get near complete HM coverage early on.

God I love this game.

Top Bottom