• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Mr.City

▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█████░░
███▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████▀░░
██████▀░▄▄████████████████████░░░
▀████░▄███████████████████████▄░░
░███░▄███████████████████████████
░▀█░█████████████████▀▀░░░██░████
▄▄█████████████████▀░░░░░░██░████
███▀▀████████████▀░░░░░░░▄█░░████
███▄░░░░▀▀█████▀░▄▀▄░░░░▄█░░▄████
░███▄▄░░▄▀▄░▀███▄▀▀░░▄▄▀█▀░░█████
▄▄█▄▀█▄▄░▀▀████████▀███░░▄░██████
▀████▄▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀██░░▀█░░█▄█████░
░░▀▀███▄░▀█░░▀█░░░▀░█░░░▄██████░▄
████▄▄▀██▄░█░░▄░░█▄░███░████▀▀░▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀▀░█████▄█▄▄████████▀░▄▄░▄██
░▄▄█▀▀░░░▀█▀██████████▀░▄███░░█▀░
██▀░░░▄▄▀░░▄░▀▀▀████▀░▄████░░░░░░
█▀░░▄██░░▄██░░░░░░▀█░░████░░▄███▄
░░▄███░▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀░░▄░░░▀▀

eosos

Banned
^Highlighting it makes it look even cooler :D
Anyways I have an onix and it sucks. Does anyone have a metal coat that they can use to help me evolve it into a steelix? Thanks!!

Delio

Soooo umm should i stick with this Palkia with 21 in Special and 22 in speed? Or keep resetting for a better IV spread? It's the nature i need at the moment but i dont know.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think I've decided on my team:

Aerodactyl w/ Focus Sash (lead)
Stealth Rock
Taunt
Earthquake
Rock Slide

The fastest pokemon that can learn stealth rock. It adds an entry hazard to wear down opponents for my sweepers. Am considering using a different lead, possibly azelf.

Gengar w/ Life Orb
Substitute
Pain Split
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball

Type Coverage in Focus Blast + Shadow Ball while taking advantage of Gengar's high Special attack stat. Life Orb doubles the damage output. Substitute provides a shield to absorb damage and prevent status effects, while Pain Split allows Gengar to recover the health lost from Substitute + Life Orb while damaging the enemy at the same time. Quite an evil set, and with the right EV spread, it can take out Blissey

Tyranitar w/ Choice Band
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Pursuit
Crunch

An attack powerhouse. What else is there to say, really?

Lucario w/ Life Orb
Swords Dance
Ice Punch
Extremespeed
Close Combat

Tyranitar takes care of all of Lucario's problem types, allowing it to use Close Combat to take out high defense types like Bronzong, Extremespeed on pokemon that outspeed it, and Ice Punch on flying types.

Heatran w/ Leftovers
Toxic
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Substitute

Heatran can wear down opponents with toxic while using a well placed substitute to stall. Fire blast and Earth Power can hit hard.

Starmie w/ Leftovers
Rapid Spin
Surf
Thunderbolt
Recover

I really, really had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do with this last slot. I was looking at Scizor and Magnezone, but the combination of rapid spin, surf, and thunderbolt fills in some holes in my team.

Thoughts? Comments?

Alternates I'm considering:
A: Keep the team as is, but replace Aerodactyl with Azelf as the lead. Something like Explosion, Stealth Rock, taunt, and Fire Blast for a moveset.

B.Remove Aerodactyl. Modify Heatran to be the lead so that it holds a Shuca Berry and has moves Explode, Fire Blast, Earth Power, and stealth rock. Put scizor or magnezone in the team.

C. Same as B, but instead of putting either scizor or magnezone on the team, remove starmie, and place both on the team..

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Oh wow.... I have been wanting to have a Squirtle follow me around in-game since Pokemon Yellow. This is god damn amazing.

And holy crap the music is fantastic. Nostalgia overload.

thefil

I thought about resurrecting the Platinum thread for this, but I figure this is a better option. Now that I'm a little tired of filling out my SS Pokedex, I decided to pick up Platinum. I played Diamond when it came out but I remember literally nothing, so it's a fresh experience.

In a lot of ways it seems to be BETTER than Silver, barring nostalgia. Here are some of the ways it's made me enjoy it more:
- Pokemon come fast and furious. Lots of options very early on, I filled my party before even the first gym
- Long routes. I know there were memory concerns with Silver. These routes stick out as being way more involved.
- Better towns. Sort of a side effect of better graphics capabilities, but the towns are really varied and interesting so far. And not every town has a gym, there are a lot of places with other reasons for existing.

The one place it's kind of a letdown is the music. Occasionally there is an interesting bar but for the most part it's bland stuff and the quality is lacking.

I'll still go back to SoulSilver to finish my Pokedex, but I'm really impressed with Platinum thus far.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Definitely, Sinnoh is a much better designed overworld. However, I think that Johto+Kanto both put GSC/HGSS over it, by just a little.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Hmm...that does make me want to pick up Platinum eventually. Hopefully when I pickup a DSi this summer.
Why wouldn't you just wait for a 3DS at this point if you're planning to upgrade?

upandaway

thefil said:
The one place it's kind of a letdown is the music. Occasionally there is an interesting bar but for the most part it's bland stuff and the quality is lacking.
Of all things to complain about when comparing it to HGSS...

I think DPPt's music is far, far better than HGSS. If not in the melody (and some of the songs are pretty cool), then execution, because HGSS is horrible at that.

GaimeGuy said:
Heatran w/ Leftovers
Toxic
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Substitute

Heatran can wear down opponents with toxic while using a well placed substitute to stall. Fire blast and Earth Power can hit hard.

Starmie w/ Leftovers
Rapid Spin
Surf
Thunderbolt
Recover

I really, really had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do with this last slot. I was looking at Scizor and Magnezone, but the combination of rapid spin, surf, and thunderbolt fills in some holes in my team.
Item Clause?

Sixfortyfive

upandaway said:
I think DPPt's music is far, far better than HGSS. If not in the melody (and some of the songs are pretty cool), then execution, because HGSS is horrible at that.
Both games do a pretty good job, I think. To HGSS' credit, it at least tries to salvage the Kanto themes as much as possible. The original GSC butchered those really badly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Both games have great music, but I have to side with HGSS for using the MIDI equivalent of the guitar as much as possible. Sounds great during the gym battles. <3

Also, National Park.

Echoes

I honestly can't stand playing the older games for two reasons that were present in HG/SS: auto-run, and the overhauled menu. The fact that I can finally play with one hand without being "crippled" (aka can't run with one hand) is so awesome. And I hate the old bag as it takes forever to scroll from top to bottom and vice versa.

Gravijah said:
Heracross, Umbreon, Absol, or Houndoom... Damn it. Houndoom is Fire/Dark and I loooove dual types...
Heracross can take an earthquake from a swords dance Gliscor without losing 1/4 of it's HP.

Muthafuckin' Heracross FTW
Firestorm said:
Goddammit. I had 14,000 steps and then the day rolled over and it's at 0 again.
The pokewalker only measures a max of 1000 steps to level up right?

I wouldn't mind using the walker to level up pokes like Heracross who need gigantic amounts of exp points.

Morokh

When I use substitute with one of my Pokemons it takes 1/4 of my Poké's HP but, how much HP has the substitute ? the 1/4 it took, or the same as my Pokemon ?

JosM88 said:
The pokewalker only measures a max of 1000 steps to level up right?

I wouldn't mind using the walker to level up pokes like Heracross who need gigantic amounts of exp points.
No it gives a pokemon as much exp as it takes to reach the next level and then nothing more. So if you have a high level pokemon that needs 8050 exp before next level, you can walk 9000 steps and it'll have gain a level once you transfer it back.

Metroid Killer said:
No it gives a pokemon as much exp as it takes to reach the next level and then nothing more. So if you have a high level pokemon that needs 8050 exp before next level, you can walk 9000 steps and it'll have gain a level once you transfer it back.
Oh snap.

This is good. I just started training a Tediursa with the pickup ability to start getting my hands on TM moves, rare candies and other goodies, but this will make my life very simple.

It's a little sad that this is such a good motivation to spend time outside.:lol

CoolS

Man, I really love this game. Except one thing.

I Finally got to Kanto after about 34 hours, and what is up whith these ridiculous short routes. Jotho's routes already were kinda short, but Kanto is really, REALLY short. Otherwise I love it.
I just realized, how long it's been since I played Blue. I don't really remember the town names, but I remember the music. AHH nostlagia :)

Firestorm

Does anyone have a Timid Lugia, Bold Cresselia, Timid Latios or Modest Kyogre with decent IVs? I would love to borrow it and will EV train it for you.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
upandaway said:
You'll need some Heart Scales.

Good thing I only put crap Pokemon on the Pokewalker then. :lol Right now I have a spare Jigglypuff I wanna evolve into Wigglytuff.

Edit- Wait Jigglypuff evolves via Moonstone? FML

I keep Pokémon that don't learn anything in there. I had a Ditto for a while and right now I have an Unown.

Evo stones are a pain in the ass. The game should at least have given you one of each before having to resort to the Pokéathlon.

Firestorm

Andrex said:
Good thing I only put crap Pokemon on the Pokewalker then. :lol Right now I have a spare Jigglypuff I wanna evolve into Wigglytuff.

Edit- Wait Jigglypuff evolves via Moonstone? FML
I will trade a Moon Stone for a Shiny Stone :(

Delio

Woo after a few hours..i got a pretty good Palkia. Timid Palkia with 30 in Special atk IV and 28 Speed IV and a nice 27 in HP. Now comes the task of soft resetting mewtwo.

After god knows how many soft resets I finally managed to catch Entei last night, in the end my one and only Dusk Ball was the saviour. Too bad Entei is now going to rot in a PC box forever more.

Echoes

OMG :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol shiny Suicune in Fire fucking Red :lol :lol :lol :lol I didn't even KNOW there were roamers in this game! What the fuck :lol

I'm sick of shinies but this is soooooooooooooooo rad :lol

Didn't check nature/IVs yet, but if it suck I will just trade it for bazillion pokemons or whatever. Roamers aren't ubers so at least it'll get some use.

I have the luckliest luck of all lucks in the motherfucking world. My hands are the unofficial shiny generators. Dugtrio, Yanmega, Char, Shuckle, Azelf, Drapion.... not even sure if I missed some.

Sixfortyfive

Echoes said:
Didn't check nature/IVs yet
I can already tell you with certainty that its Defense, SpAtk, SpDef, and Speed are all 0. Its Attack is also less than 16.

The FRLG roamers are bugged.

Wichu

The code which copies the IVs from the roamer data to the actual Pokémon data (when you catch it) is bugged. It copies only one byte instead of 4. Congrats on the shiny, though :)

Echoes

Wichu said:
The code which copies the IVs from the roamer data to the actual Pokémon data (when you catch it) is bugged. It copies only one byte instead of 4. Congrats on the shiny, though :)
That sucks. Good thing I don't really care for a shiny Suicune that much. I know a lot of people would want it regardless, though.

I wonder, are event Pokemons any good? There are Espeon and Alakazam and Absol for example. If I traded for these, should I bother EV-training them? Do they come with set natures/IVs?

nli10

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I keep Pokémon that don't learn anything in there. I had a Ditto for a while and right now I have an Unown.

Evo stones are a pain in the ass. The game should at least have given you one of each before having to resort to the Pokéathlon.

Just keep a bit of paper with the move levels in your DS and only put them on the PW for non move levels.

I have a lvl 43 Pigeot at the moment due to the PokeWalker where as my highest other poke is lvl 20... I get one level going to work, and one returning home. Only swapped out as I wanted Roost.

I fuckin' hate you, Echoes. You and your damn Shiny luck. I know where my luck is going, and it's to you. >=[
<3

nli10 said:
Just keep a bit of paper with the move levels in your DS and only put them on the PW for non move levels.

I have a lvl 43 Pigeot at the moment due to the PokeWalker where as my highest other poke is lvl 20... I get one level going to work, and one returning home. Only swapped out as I wanted Roost.
Well, I do have that AAA Pokédex that people have linked to several times on my iPhone. So I could use that, but right now I don't care so much about leveling as I do catching Pokémon.

MNC

:lol I defeated Jolteon from the Kimono Girl with a lvl 16 wooper I had left in my party. Every single move failed except for double team :3

Also, I forgot how fucking confusing the whirl islands are.

Styles

OMG I just realised that I've only got 28 pokemon recorded in my pokedex with full details. :lol I thought it was like D/P but apparently it's not.

Styles

Metroid Killer said:
How is the pokedex in the other games(D/P)?

IIRC you just needed to encounter them once then the data's stalled on the pokedex?Though, now that I think about it I'm not quite sure, it's been months since I've touched my Diamond version. :( Think I'll check again.

And I'm wrong... again. Apparently in D/P the pokedex records the number of pokemon you've seen while in H/S it records the number of pokemon you've catched, though apparently there's a separate counter for the number of pokemon you've seen too also. I guess what got me mixed up was the number that was shown in the save file.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody got a pair of bibarel or bidoofs they can trade me? I'm done dicking around with HMs in my main party.

Top Bottom