• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Legends Arceus | Review Thread

daclynk

You have to careful with the opinions of the people who pirated the game, as often this can make performance issues seem worse, not watched any leaks myself for fear of spoilers, but not sure how you would tell if the game was running of a genuine cart on the system, or was a hacked console.
oh ok thanks

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You have to careful with the opinions of the people who pirated the game, as often this can make performance issues seem worse, not watched any leaks myself for fear of spoilers, but not sure how you would tell if the game was running of a genuine cart on the system, or was a hacked console.
uh? First time I heard of this. Got any source?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You can be absolutely savage and just call Elden Ring a Dark Souls 3 mod and it'll still look and play better than this game no matter what.
We’ll, yeah. I imagine Elden Ring is going to be a once in 3 to 5 year Miyazaki classic.l.so I expect an absolutely top tier game to be awesome…but yes, if someone wanted to be an ass they could say it was a Dark Souls 3 mod.

blacktout

Literally every Pokemon game gets the exact same review scores

Uh.
MhgrkhF.png

Kiraly

I don't care about these games but even I take great pleasure in seeing all the coping mechanisms on display here. Can't wait for that 20 million copies sold announcement. And almost assuredly all at full price too, none of that half of those 19.5 million copies sold for a tenner from the bargain bin like from other companies.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Reviewers are corrupted disguised advertisers, and if there's one company they're afraid off and has been radical about removing access to review copies at the slight criticism, it's Nintendo.

Let's wait for the actual player reviews...
Yes thats why they have slated every mario party and mario spin offs like the olympics for years, not to mention them giving quite alot of bad reviews to zelda spirit tracks, face dude nintendo know how to make good games but they also make alot of half arsed games as well, this is another well recieved title, also alot if not most pokemon spin offs get shat on by reviewers as well

Pagusas

Elden Member
So, I'm excited to try this on my own just to see if posters here are 1. So full of themselves that they have to put down what sounds like a good game to fit the pre-release narrative they've already spun in theirs heads or 2. The game is actually horrible and every reviewer was paid off.

Stay tune!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
False unless theres a day one update for performance.

People with homebrew even overclock their switches for better performance ffs lol
I know it's false, dude just gave me the thumbs up and I guess he'll continue spitting false information just for the sake of his argument.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't understand how such a terrible looking or performing game could get over a 7.
I'm an absolute Graphic/HT Whore who spends tens of thoursands on audio equipment alone, who absolutely is a horrible critic of even the smallest stupid flaw in a game, and can't play a game with screen tearing at all.....

and yet my favorite game ever made runs at 15fps. So yeah, Gameplay trumps ALL.

supernova8

Banned
I've read all the reviews and........... meh it doesn't really sound good to me. No gyms... not a lot of battling other trainers in the open.

The open world looks good (graphics look a bit shit but... oh well), and I just wish they kept the variety of towns, trainer battles, gyms and the championship. I don't like the idea of Jubilife town basically being the hub.

I can only hope that this is basically a stepping stone/experiment (hence them doing it back in time almost as a spin off) and that the next game will be more like what I described above.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does anyone else feel the "Legends" title they slapped on it makes it feel like a B tier/Side game, instead of a main entry? Did they do this to test out this concept and abandon it if it failed without affecting the "main" games"? Or even if this does good will this always be a side series and we'll never get this gameplay in a main game?

It did, they got paid off or threatened to be removed from Nintendos platform. This game looks beyond atrocious. Everything shown makes me want to play less and less.

So just to be 100% clear, you havnt touched or played the actual game? Every opinion you have is from observation but not interaction, correct?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Does anyone else feel the "Legends" title they slapped on it makes it feel like a B tier/Side game, instead of a main entry? Did they do this to test out this concept and abandon it if it failed without affecting the "main" games"? Or even if this does good will this always be a side series and we'll never get this gameplay in a main game?

So just to be 100% clear, you havnt touched or played the actual game? Every opinion you have is from observation but not interaction, correct?
Legends tells me that it's going to be a recurring, different type of Pokemon game. Probably set in the past, in different regions.

The mainline ones always use the color / element naming, and have two versions.

Fire Emblem had the "Echoes" line as well, and I was always hoping for more of those.

iHaunter

Of Arceus yeah. I don't aimlessly pre-order games. Buying it then regretting it is not a mistake I make too often.

YukiOnna

Seems fitting to me to do another Legends title for Black/White to coincide with their remakes. Since it's a prequel with a different genre it makes sense to branch it off from the mainline ones.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Screens will never show this art style in the best light, and thing always look better in motion, can't wait to get it up an running on my LG OLED C1. :)
Uhm.

IGN Italy gave it a 5/10.

Alessandra wrote a 15k+ characters review saying LOTS of things about the game.

And no, that rating is not based on the "game being to (sic) difficult".

She pointed out LOTS of aspects of the game which she, simply, did not like.

Hence, the low score.

If you have to quote something out of a review, quote right.
A 15k characters rant still sounds like a rant. It’s overly long, and the tone is so firmly set from the very beginning it doesn’t make you want to read it all. She didn’t like the game and that’s very clear from the intro. Textbook example of TLDR right there, like an awful lot of Italian game articles and reviews, always so grandiose and self-important even when talking about the most cookie-cutter products out there, let alone the big releases. Even Nintendo Life managed to cut it short, that says a lot.
Also she says grinding was unnecessary in old Pokémon games :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, I’m surprised by the good reception. The game looked like an absolute disaster from the start. Then again, if graphics told everything about a game, Pokémon would never get where it’s been for the last 25 years, what with Red & Blue looking worse in 1996 than Game Boy games from 3-4 years earlier. I don’t have much time for gaming or much patience for Pokémon hunting anymore, but this went from a certified nope to something I may be interested in checking out at a later time.

jaysius

Banned
IGN gave it a 7 that’s not a good sign, these guys are HUGE score padders.

• Big empty world
  • ugly textures
  • too much pop in
  • tedious route to “true” ending

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is EDGE going to be reviewing this or do they already know it's kusoge and don't want to hurt Gamefreak's feelings?

I never played a Pokemon game but I want to try this. Would this be a good place to start?

Would be cool if they did a Shin Megami Tensei game like Pokemon Arceus. Maybe one day.

Saber

Gold Member
I never played a Pokemon game but I want to try this. Would this be a good place to start?

Would be cool if they did a Shin Megami Tensei game like Pokemon Arceus. Maybe one day.

Honestly it depends. Are you familiar with pokemon games? This one takes a few different takes on the formula

If you like Shin Megami I would say you should stick with Shin Megami alright.

acm2000

The game looks like it was designed in the 00s, from NPC's standing around completely unnaturally sweeping the same bit of random dirt for no reason to the N64 level textures and gameplay as basic taking a shit in the woods.

If it's possible for Game Freak to put any less effort into these games I'd be incredibly surprised.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The game looks like it was designed in the 00s, from NPC's standing around completely unnaturally sweeping the same bit of random dirt for no reason to the N64 level textures and gameplay as basic taking a shit in the woods.

If it's possible for Game Freak to put any less effort into these games I'd be incredibly surprised.

Has Game Freak always been under the same leadership? It might just be incompetence and since Pokemon games keep selling anyway it doesn't get punished.

Saber

Gold Member
Has Game Freak always been under the same leadership? It might just be incompetence and since Pokemon games keep selling anyway it doesn't get punished.

Tbh quite frankly, it can be both. Pokemon used to come from pure handhelds and aways used that as an excuse to not take leaps in visuals.

But honestly the idea itself of big areas should already be a thing on SwSh(even though could mean absurdly disgusting visuals). But with time people got used to their lies.

Bragr

Banned
The game looks like it was designed in the 00s, from NPC's standing around completely unnaturally sweeping the same bit of random dirt for no reason
That stuff is in every game, from The Last of Us 2 to Spider-Man, it seems only Red Dead Redemption 2 tried to tackle this.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
My partner is playing it now and im having a wank while watching her play. The game seems fine to me, shes enjoying it and it looks fine to me for what it is, fucking Pokemon, this aint no fly on the wall documentary.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Pagusas

Elden Member
so after a few days of playing it, my conclusion of the Gafers prejudging this game as terrible is:

You are idiots. the game is fun, it has a very good gameplay loop and i’m constantly surprised by how smooth the mechanics are. the graphics look decent when played in portable mode and overall i’m very happy with this if it’s a harbinger of what’s to come for the future of pokémon. An absolute great first major step.

also this has to be said: I LOVE moving around the battle field while commanding our pokémon. it makes the game in those moments feel just like the anime. and absolute brilliantly done system. LOVE IT.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
That stuff is in every game, from The Last of Us 2 to Spider-Man, it seems only Red Dead Redemption 2 tried to tackle this.
yep, it’s actually one of the things i know bethesda is trying to figure out for their next games, how to make NPC behaviors more natural and organic with emergent and branch decision making. Emergent gameplay is the next frontier for games, I doubt we’ll see it in a Pokémon grade game for another 20 years

somesang

This game has been a big surprise. Went in with low expectations, about 6 hours in and like most are saying, the gameplay loop is fun and addicting. Been awhile since a Pokémon game sunk it's teeth into me.

Xenon

I am loving this game so far. To me it's a simple question, do you enjoy catching Pokémon?

This game does it better than all the other games Ive tried. I like the open world, even though it is basic. It fits the Anime theme for me. The open nature of the gameplaly is perfect, sometimes I wasn't to battle sometimes a just want to chill and catch. But so far the biggest battle I face is upgrading my bag... gets expensive. Dont get me wrong there are tons of different things to do and a bunch of nice little touches to push you on, but the core mechanics are fun. Im hooked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom