• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

Chase17

6i7FSgT.gif
giphy.gif

Kyzer

Banned
Apologies. I've got that out of my system now so you don't have to worry about a repeat :p

Just curious but did anyone post about the music that's apparently been mined from the demo? The12thGripper apparently found UB-02 Expansion's battle theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TzOzYPs0_k

Its not you!

And that scared me I thought the demo was already getting mined...

damnit if this might come out as soon as 10 AM EST (jp demo) im really tempted to create that spoiler free thread

CazTGG

If you're an entomologist who specializes in ants this is a bigger deal than you make it to be.

Apologies, I didn't mean to downplay the importance of discovering new species. My point is that our real life scientific community doesn't have the same amount of disagreement over what constitutes a new species/subspecies/mutation/etc. whereas, as we're seeing within this thread, there's a rather large disagreement over the classification of Alolan forms in Sun & Moon.

Dryk

Species in Pokemon and species in the real world don't really work the same way so they're not really comparable. In real taxonomy the ability to interbreed and have fertile offspring is a primary indicator of animals being the same species. That doesn't work at all in Pokemon.

Considering we just discovered there are four subspecies of giraffes with little fanfare or criticism of the study that found it, coupled with how many species and subspecies of, say, dogs exist, to say nothing of hybrids like the beefalo (yes, really) and other factors i'm sure i'm forgetting, I think real-life scientists are a little less interested in raising a fuss over a new ant species being added to the millions that already exist.
The domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) is currently classified as a single subspecies of the gray wolf (Canis lupus). They're all one species :p

I want Chesnaught with Battle Bond

my dude

:(((

Its not you!

And that scared me I thought the demo was already getting mined...

damnit if this might come out as soon as 10 AM EST (jp demo) im really tempted to create that spoiler free thread

I'd be interested in it. The only thing I'm even vaguely interested in is just the general number of new Pokémon, but I can ask someone for that later.

I'm really convinced they showed a lot prereveal because Ohmori has a lot for us left to discover. Finger crossed, anyway.

Species in Pokemon and species in the real world don't really work the same way so they're not really comparable. In real taxonomy the ability to interbreed and have fertile offspring is a primary indicator of animals being the same species. That doesn't work at all in Pokemon.

The domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) is currently classified as a single subspecies of the gray wolf (Canis lupus). They're all one species :p

Egg groups are the parent species in pokemon, and pokemon themselves are a singular species (with their key differentiator from others being the ability to rapidly evolve)

Wensih

Apologies, I didn't mean to downplay the importance of discovering new species. My point is that our real life scientific community doesn't have the same amount of disagreement over what constitutes a new species/subspecies/mutation/etc. whereas, as we're seeing within this thread, there's a rather large disagreement over the classification of Alolan forms in Sun & Moon.

Mutations are pretty clear cut with sequencing technology, but as I've stated previously, the scientific community isn't an obelisk of concordance that some people think. There are constant debates about classification, reclassification, and taxonomy. Next-Gen Sequencing technology has recently (within the past ~6 years) been made affordable to target multiple genes (500 instead of 5), allowing for an abundance of data collection that wasn't afforded by Sanger sequencing, which will result in restructuring of clades. A highly resolved avian phylogeny that proposes new clades was only just published last year.

CazTGG

The domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) is currently classified as a single subspecies of the gray wolf (Canis lupus). They're all one species

Mutations are pretty clear cut with sequencing technology, but as I've stated previously, the scientific community isn't an obelisk of concordance that some people think. There are constant debates about classification, reclassification, and taxonomy. Next-Gen Sequencing technology has recently (within the past ~6 years) been made affordable to target multiple genes (500 instead of 5), allowing for an abundance of data collection that wasn't afforded by Sanger sequencing, which will result in restructuring of clades. A highly resolved avian phylogeny that proposes new clades was only just published last year.

giphy.gif

This is why i'd make a terrible scientist.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
yeah, all dogs are wolves, but foxes aren't

so that's why the chinese fire starter is bullshit, ammy can rep the dog but not delphox, and typhlosion isn't a rat (that was early gen translation stupidity)

Sandfox

yeah, all dogs are wolves, but foxes aren't

so that's why the chinese fire starter is bullshit, ammy can rep the dog but not delphox, and typhlosion isn't a rat (that was early gen translation stupidity)

Even in the original Japanese text Cyndaquil is called a fire mouse.

So just to be clear the demo won't be on the eshop at 12AM Tuesday morning and will be added 10AM Tuesday?

I'm still not adjusted to how Nintendo handles the eshop.

Boss Doggie

Even in the original Japanese text Cyndaquil is called a fire mouse.

that's the misnomer I'm trying to say

in Japan they use <description> mouse for anything rodent but isn't technically a mouse (like Sonic and I think Chespin).

Arynio

Oh, boy!!! You really know nothing about this, huh? On the contrary, there's no clear-cut consensus, but that's what you get when you try to categorise a continuity.

Is the demo releasing at the same time worldwide?

Come into pokemon thread. People talking about genes like they are neurosciencests. Show thread to dr girlfriend who sells biotechnology for a living confirms most comments are nonsense she get confused as to what it has to do with pokemon now I'm more confused.

Please give typhlosion a mega.

I am having a similar problem. None of the Water-types thus far are really interesting me (with the exception of Wimpod which I won't use on my first runthrough because I want to use Vikavolt).

Considering HMs don't seem to be a thing I guess having a Water-type isn't as essential as it was before?

Aleh

If the demo gets datamined, and it will, I don't know if I'll be strong enough not to spoil myself... RKS help us all

Wensih

Come into pokemon thread. People talking about genes like they are neurosciencests. Show thread to dr girlfriend who sells biotechnology for a living confirms most comments are nonsense she get confused as to what it has to do with pokemon now I'm more confused.

I think it stems from Pokemon simplifying or even misrepresenting biological concepts to explain mechanics or the inspiration/appearance of new pokemon and the community trying to graph those concepts and legitimize the series with a very flawed view of said biological concepts.

I would like Jhoto megas as well. I hope new megas are introduced although I have a feeling that this might not be the case. The trailer seemed to imply that megas will remain in the game, only in an effort to not subvert the work done in gen VI.

Boss Doggie

I'd rather have that than the discussion before that.

Forkball

if an Alolan Exeggutor falls in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If Pokemon scientists were like real scientists there would already be a billion Pokemon

Phoenixus

Does anyone have an approximate time that the demo goes up tomorrow? Busy Tuesday ahead so I'm hoping it's up nice and early. (UK btw)

Forkball

I think the eShop updates at 9 AM PST. I doubt the demo gets a midnight release but it's possible since if it hits Japan at 9 AM JST on Tuesday, it would be Monday night in America. So if you have a Japanese 3DS and live in the states, you could be playing the demo TODAY.

FSLink

Banned
I think the eShop updates at 9 AM PST. I doubt the demo gets a midnight release but it's possible since if it hits Japan at 9 AM JST on Tuesday, it would be Monday night in America. So if you have a Japanese 3DS and live in the states, you could be playing the demo TODAY.

Aw yeh

Is anyone who owns both old and new models willing to compare and contrast performance on the demo? I'm tempted to upgrade from an old XL to a small n3DS for this game.

Greninja AND Pikachu? They thought of everything!

Definitely laughed at this.

I was going to comment about how, seven generations in, the evil team still uses Zubat and Raticate lines. I remember playing Red as a kid and being annoyed that Team Rocket always had the same two Pokémon. I am still annoyed in 2016. But I admit that the Golbats and Raticates stand out more to me than whatever else they're using because I am expecting their appearance. I can't actually say whether or not it has gotten more varied over the years. I'm sure it has.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind them using Golbat and Raticate if those were actually challenging opponents. It's a pretty big example of ludonarrative dissonance when mafia/terrorist/cult analogues that are capable of hijacking entire cities/awaking the gods of time and space do the Pokemon equivalent of bringing a spoon to the gunfight. I mean, why was the participation of me the player even necessary? All these goons can be easily handled by the Kindler from the last route I was in.

Lords knows I want proper difficulty settings in the series.

Forkball

I was going to comment about how, seven generations in, the evil team still uses Zubat and Raticate lines. I remember playing Red as a kid and being annoyed that Team Rocket always had the same two Pokémon. I am still annoyed in 2016. But I admit that the Golbats and Raticates stand out more to me than whatever else they're using because I am expecting their appearance. I can't actually say whether or not it has gotten more varied over the years. I'm sure it has.

Off the top of my head...

Rocket: Rattata, Koffing, Zubat
Aqua: Carvanha, Poochyena, Zubat
Magma: Numel, Poochyena, Zubat
Galaxy: Glameow, Skunky, Zubat
Plasma: Patrat, Sandile, and no Zubat only because it wasn't in the main game
Flare: They were probably the most varied... but there were a lot of Zubats

Honestly I don't remember anyone ever using a Crobat though.

ffdgh

Not possible. Someone will find a way to get them to their final evolution.

Weren't we able to use like 3 Pokémon for the ORAS demo? Maybe we'll be able to use 3 or so in this demo also.

In that case It'd be nice to have at least one gen 7 mon to use.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Sweet, so I am not forced to use Super Greninja.

It's because grunts are weak so they have weak Pokémon while the higher up have stronger Pokémon.

Heck Team Galactic took Pokémon away from grunts if they were deemed too weak.

Off the top of my head...

Rocket: Rattata, Koffing, Zubat
Aqua: Carvanha, Poochyena, Zubat
Magma: Numel, Poochyena, Zubat
Galaxy: Glameow, Skunky, Zubat
Plasma: Patrat, Sandile, and no Zubat only because it wasn't in the main game
Flare: They were probably the most varied... but there were a lot of Zubats

Honestly I don't remember anyone ever using a Crobat though.

To expand on this

Rocket: Machop, Machoke, Drowzee, Hypno, Ekans, Arbok, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Meowth, Cubone, Venonat, Oddish, Gloom, Grimmer, Muk.

Galactic: Wumple, Croagunk, Bronzor, Murkrow, Silcoon, Cascoon, Dustox, Beautifly.

Team Plasma: Trubbish, Purrloin, Scraggy, Scrafty, Liepard, Garbodor, Krokorok

Cyrus had one in DPPt.

Maxie and Archie had one as well.

Boss Doggie

oh, 12noon at my side then (yay 12 hour difference)

EDIT: wait, you said 12pm... so 12am at my side :<

all regions gonna get it the same time or will EU/AU get it earlier?

Top Bottom