• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

I loved Pokémon Sun and Moon and I rank it above X and Y, but gen 4 and 5 still remain my favorite generation but if "Pokémon Star" manages to fix the the complaint that I had and really impress me then it's possible that gen 7 can join the rank with Gen 4 and 5.

Heh, now and then I forget that almost everyone that I know likes a different gen.

It's almost like when someone asks the favorite Final Fantasy.

Breads

Banned
5 boxes of Absol so far.

I'm gonna get that shiny.

Mentally I'm prepared for the mass breeding game.

My thumb hates me though. I hate the 3DS's analogue stick. It's too low profile and it doesn't have a good grip.

Is the general consensus that Pokémon Switch (Stars?) will involve Kanto in some way? These games talk about Kanto a ton, so there must be something coming up, right? Would love a 2 region Pokémon game, but one so soon on a new platform seems way too good to be true

Mr-Joker

Banned
They all have 4 moves even in the first match last I checked.

Not of their Pokémon have 4 moves like
Hala's Poliwrath and Bewear who only have 2 moveset.

Heh, now and then I forget that almost everyone that I know likes a different gen.

It's almost like when someone asks the favorite Final Fantasy.

That's the beauty of Pokémon one generation does one thing better than the other that really resonate with people.

Is the general consensus that Pokémon Switch (Stars?) will involve Kanto in some way? These games talk about Kanto a ton, so there must be something coming up, right? Would love a 2 region Pokémon game, but one so soon on a new platform seems way too good to be true

Nah it's just a little Easter Egg as the game are released during the series 20th anniversary.

I really doubt that "Pokémon Star" will involve Kanto or have it that we will go back to Kanto.

Anustart

So im gonna pick up sun soon. never got into multiplayer, any tips?

I was trying in oras but it took like weeks to breed 1 acceptable pokemon, gave up. didnt have 6 months patience to build a team.

I had no idea, how does that work?
It doesn't, there's absolutely no trace left. People usually just ask that you don't trade them that stuff if you know about it, but otherwise there's no difference.

The only reason this even gets brought up is because of a particularly unskilled youtuber (who likes to blame everyone but himself for that) that went on massive tirades about one of the contestants using a Dream Ball Aegislash and reps had to make a statement.

It's mainly TPCi's official stance on illegal balls, since those can pass down through regular breeding if a hacked mon was involved somewhere earlier on.

Those and egg moves and Pokemon you can't get yet are the only ways to tell and the latter two will eventually no longer be valid.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

I was trying in oras but it took like weeks to breed 1 acceptable pokemon, gave up. didnt have 6 months patience to build a team.
...did you like play 5 min a day back then?

Clefargle

It doesn't, there's absolutely no trace left. People usually just ask that you don't trade them that stuff if you know about it, but otherwise there's no difference.

The only reason this even gets brought up is because of a particularly unskilled youtuber (who likes to blame everyone but himself for that) that went on massive tirades about one of the contestants using a Dream Ball Aegislash and reps had to make a statement.

Right, I was pretty sure that there was no way to tell other than illegal ball combos and learnsets from other unavailable gens. If that's the case then it's perfect, I won't be trading/battling with that ditto. Just using it for eggs.

It's mainly TPCi's official stance on illegal balls, since those can pass down through regular breeding if a hacked mon was involved somewhere earlier on.

Those and egg moves and Pokemon you can't get yet are the only ways to tell and the latter two will eventually no longer be valid.

Right, and in this case it won't matter because ditto can't pass down balls. Cool, thanks for confirming

Breads

Banned

Happens somewhere way down the line when people get disqualified for having illegal mons in tourneys. They play very fast and loose with when they check for it. It has a trail supposedly. If you're going to invest time in breeding then a good place to start isn't by risking a taint with hacked mons imo.

I have no citations but I stand by my claim. Fuck yeah Tiny Rick.

remember the old proverb: "one man's trubbish is another man's ______"

I haven't gotten that far yet. I just got onto the 3rd island.

This game is a slow burn for me.

Seriously though, can someone explain to me why people are clamoring for Trubbish? Why that Pokemon over like a Magikarp?

Yo does anyone have a pikachu with a decent nature? I've got great dittos to breed IVs on but I totally forgot I can't use the pichus for breeding purposes.

Anustart

...did you like play 5 min a day back then?

Some days, sure.

Otherwise I had to slowly breed until I got a honedge with 1 good iv, swap out parent, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 and so on. And that wasn't even taking into account natures or any thing else, just focusing on that. So I'm sure it would have been another month until everything lined up I guess.

Crayolan

Some days, sure.

Otherwise I had to slowly breed until I got a honedge with 1 good iv, swap out parent, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 and so on. And that wasn't even taking into account natures or any thing else, just focusing on that. So I'm sure it would have been another month until everything lined up I guess.

Don't bother with breeding until you beat the game and reach the battle tree.

Then put Trubbish on GTS and ask for lvl 91+ Ditto. You're very likely to get a 6 IV ditto in return which will make breeding much easier.

KingDirk

I have completely turned around on Alolan Golem, the Russian Railgun is amazing.
Also, the Machamp pokeride is the best part of this game. Being carried around the world like some sort of hedonistic boy prince is hilarious.

When I got that I immediately imagined my trainer saying "Well, that's it, these feet are never going to touch the ground again."

5 boxes of Absol so far.

I'm gonna get that shiny.

Mentally I'm prepared for the mass breeding game.

My thumb hates me though. I hate the 3DS's analogue stick. It's too low profile and it doesn't have a good grip.

Are you doing the circle in that section crap? I saw aDrive going in between the columns of the house to hatch his eggs. Haven't tried it myself but it seems like less movement involved

Breads

Banned
Are you doing the circle in that section crap? I saw aDrive going in between the columns of the house to hatch his eggs. Haven't tried it myself but it seems like less movement involved

That's what I have been doing. It minimizes load/ travel times and every 8 seconds I can pick up another egg.

The problem is the smooth low profile button provides almost no grip or tactile feedback so I can't passively perform these mindless actions without relying on visual cues to make sure I'm not constantly hitching. I have to press harder than I'd like to get the kind of mental confirmation I need to maintain this action while I'm multi tasking which gets tiring on my thumb pretty quickly. I going to have to buy a grip/ cover for the stick in order to do this comfortably. It really doesn't matter where I do the egg run anything starts to get painful after a few minutes of constant pressing. A stick I like better is the one on the Vita. I can press and hold under the thumb pad itself which helps alleviate pressure on my thumb.

Trying to get the Razor Claw from wild Hakamo-o RIP

Do yourself a favor and get a pokemon with compound eyes (butterfree for example) and plant them in the front of your team. Saves you a lot of time. I neglected to look up tips on how to do it until an hour in and once I got my butterfree on my team I got it in my first subsequent try.

Regiruler

Kartana
getting vacuum wave is some sort of sick joke.

There are so many pokemon that would kill to get that.

It's probably hilarious in the mirror match though

ionitron

Do yourself a favor and get a pokemon with compound eyes (butterfree for example) and plant them in the front of your team. Saves you a lot of time. I neglected to look up tips on how to do it until an hour in and once I got my butterfree on my team I got it in my first subsequent try.

I can't believe I forgot about Compound Eyes. Does the Compound eyes bonus apply in SOS chains if the pokemon is fainted at the front of the party?

Edit: From what I read the butterfree actually needs to be battling, like synchronize. :/ I think butterfree is too weak to handle all of that, unfortunately. =(
Edit: Damn it, I'm doing it anyway.

Regiruler

Everything about
Kartana
is a bit of a joke. That attack stat belies the shallowness of its movepool, being forced to run 60-70 BP moves for coverage is just kinda painful.
I'm fine with that since most of them are moves that have never been optimal before.

And a chunk of them have a boosted crit rate.

Red

What's up with Wimpod respawns? I did a false swipe on the first one not realizing his ability forced an escape below 50% health. That was nearly a week ago. One dude says he shows up every day, but I haven't seen another one.

Regiruler

Everything about
Kartana
is a bit of a joke. That attack stat belies the shallowness of its movepool, being forced to run 60-70 BP moves for coverage is just kinda painful.
I'm fine with that since most of them are moves that have never been optimal before.

And looking at its movepool laser focus seems neat but kinda useless with the crit nerf.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Everything about
Kartana

Before Pokemon Bank releases it's the only Pokemon with access to Cut lol.

Greddleok

Woah, the Elite 4 is no joke. 2/4 so far and both of them have actually made some of my pokemon faint. Big step up from X&Y where I steam rolled through them without a second thought.

I'm also trying to make the game harder by not EV training and ignoring natures. Seems to be working!

...wut, that's what everyone does...

Yeah I've never cared about either of those things on a single player playthough, but the amount of people who were soft resetting for it with the starters was sort of high. I'll never really understand why though. Except maybe if they wanted to use bottle caps on them and use them competitively later, I guess. doesn't seem worth it to me though.

nickgia

Well, after 55 hours I finally beat Sun. It's probably one of the upper tier pokemon games, despite some of the disappointments (linearity, the loss of dexnav, SOS being a pain, etc.).

Also: You still haven't finished unpacking Mom?????

Shun

Is there a particular Pokémon you Guys would like to see a Giveaway for?

I'm currently enjoying breeding more than i thought i would, and the Christmas season got me in the mood to give something to others.

I already prepared a box full of 4-5 IV Jolly Sneasel with Fake Out, Icicle Crash and Throat Chop that i'm gonna send away trough Wondertrade, but i dunno, maybe there's something you guys would like me to give away?

If it's a Pokémon i can do, i'm gonna be more than happy to fill up 2-3 boxes of that Pokémon to give it to you :)

If you and others will I don't mind doing another one seeing as I already did one earlier.

So I found out that they split up some trainer clothes and colours between both Sun and Moon. Could you hypothetically add someone from the other game version who has also bought every exclusive clothing piece and colour, go online in the Festival Plaza, and bit-by-bit order them from each other?

Izayoi

Banned
Yeah I've never cared about either of those things on a single player playthough, but the amount of people who were soft resetting for it with the starters was sort of high. I'll never really understand why though. Except maybe if they wanted to use bottle caps on them and use them competitively later, I guess. doesn't seem worth it to me though.
Especially considering that you can breed for natures fairly early on, if you really wanted to... Which is way faster than SRing for a starter.

I finally have a beautiful shiny Mimikyu after 9999999999 eggs and now I'm left with a bunch of 5IV and several 6IV normal ones. I'm not sure what to do with them.

Top Bottom