• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POKéMON types / type names seem somewhat inconsistent.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So there’s 18 POKéMON types ( the original 15 + Dark, Steel and Fairy introduced in later generations ) and lately it occurred to me that they don’t really sense in some ways, specifically in the naming of some of the types. Instead of shrugging that off and moving on with more important things, I decided that I should definitely make a thread about it instead. You know, because this is the best thing I can do with my time and why not have some fun. .w. It’s also kind of sort of relevant with the reveal of the typing of the two new Sun / Moon legendary POKéMON and the revelation that the Sun Legendary is weak to Fire ( haha, what? ) and the Moon Legendary is weak to Dark and Ghost ( both things related to the night ). I’ll start with some types that make sense and move forward from that.

DISCLAIMER : Before we actually get properly started, I want to make clear I’m talking mostly about the names and ‘flavour’ of the types, not their actual gameplay implications. Also, please don’t take this too seriously. >w>

Snap_BaF9LuaL401895751912.jpg

Classical Elements : Fire / Water / Ground​

Hey, look at that, that’s three of the classical elements! The classical elements are a decent way to start off your typing. It’s kind of a miss that “Earth” was renamed to “Ground”, but I’ll let it slip. So where is Air / Wind? … It’s not there? What about the ‘fifth element’, referred to as Aether or Void? It’s also not here, huh… You could perhaps argue that other types represent parts of those missing elements, but why were those elements ‘split up’ and these not?

N9B1VOa.png

Maybe they based it on the Chinese ‘elements’ ( Wu Xing ), which do not include Air / Wind or Aether / Void. The Chinese elements are as follows; Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood. Now this looks like something we can match up with some POKéMON types; we have Fire, Water, Ground ( Earth ), Steel ( a Metal ) and Grass ( sorta kinda Wood ). But the Steel type was not introduced until the second generation of POKéMON and the weaknesses / strengths of these types for / against each other do not match up with the concept of cycles related to the Chinese elements. Despite that, I’ll say elements are still a decent concept to base types on, so let’s see what other types we could make sense of here.

Fire and Water are nice and simple enough. Ice is a form of water and can also jump in. Ground is in too, but should probably be renamed to ‘Earth’. Rock can get in on the action at this point too through similar reasoning as for Ice. Grass could fit in, but ‘grass’ refers to a family of plants and is thus weirdly specific. Let’s go with Wu Xing here and rename it ‘Wood’. Adhering to Wu Xing also lets us bring in Steel, though as with Grass, it should be renamed as ‘steel’ refers to a specific type of metal. Steel is now ‘Metal’. I have no specific problems with Poison, so let’s invite Poison too. Dark has always been kind of iffy to me, as darkness refers to the absence of something rather than the presence of something and I feel the way it is meant to represent ‘evilness’ is silly, but an argument could be made for including it here so let’s just get it in too.

So now we have Fire, Water, Ice, Earth (Ground), Rock, Wood (Grass), Metal (Steel), Poison and Dark. Aside from a few renames, we still have a decent basis here for a typing system. You’ll note that all the types we worked with so far are nouns. Why is that relevant you ask? Well…

The Adjectives : Fighting / Flying / Psychic / Electric​

For some reason four of the existing types are adjectives instead of nouns, indicating specific abilities of the POKéMON in question instead of ( related ) elements. Why? Who knows! They didn’t do ‘Wet’ instead of ‘Water’ or ‘Burning’ instead of ‘Fire’. Let’s tackle them one by one;

Fighting : Why is this a type on its own? All POKéMON fight, no? Now obviously this type refers more to martial arts over just ‘regular’ fighting, which is fine, but we should still find a way to get it to fit in with the nouns. Let’s rename it ‘Combat’ or ‘Strength’. Nice and noun-ey while still reflecting the nature of the type. Strength also being a move shouldn’t be a problem as Psychic is also currently a move ( though we’ll get to that in just a bit ).

250px-469Yanmega.png
250px-130Gyarados.png
250px-085Dodrio.png

Flying : So this would presumably refer to the POKéMON’s ability to fly, wouldn’t it? Well… No. There’s around 20 Flying type POKéMON that cannot learn the move Fly. These include Gyarados and Scyther. Then there’s also Doduo and Dodrio; the pair of POKéMON who are based on a flightless bird, yet are Flying type and can learn Fly ( cue the Awkward Zombie comic ). Yanmega is a Flying type POKéMON that can easily transport a human in flight according to its Pokédex entry, yet it cannot learn Fly. Let’s get this type renamed to get around most of this. ‘Wind’ and ‘Air’ are nice nouns and would fit with the elements thing we have going, so let’s pick one of those and keep going.

Electric : Electric would be ok-ish, but it just doesn’t feel like it fits with the rest. They probably wanted to go for Electricity, but decided against it for being too long. Aside from that, electricity feels more ‘artificial’ than other types. We can do a bit better here, and the POKéMON-people even know it themselves; remember the prophecy about to the legendary bird trio from the movie POKéMON 2000? It certainly didn’t go ‘Fire, Ice and Electricity’, I can tell you that! Let’s rename this to ‘Lightning’ to have it feel more ‘nature-ey’ and fall in line with the nouns.

Psychic : Now there’s one more adjective to get rid of. Psychic doesn’t really do anything especially wrong in terms of naming aside from being an adjective and being a fairly specific ability for so many POKéMON to have, so let me just cut to the chase and rename it ‘Mind’. Mind is a bit broader and we can still have that ‘brains vs. brawn’, ‘mind vs. body’ thing between Mind and Strength.

There. We’re thirteen types in so far and we now have all-nouns and everything relates to elements or nature in some way ( aside from the iffy ‘Combat / Strength’ and the debateable ‘Mind’, but we’re better off than we were ). We can do this, so let’s cont-

The Species : Bug / Dragon / Fairy / Ghost​

-inue…!? So now we have types referring to the species of a POKéMON? Where’s the logic in this? Why are Bug and Dragon types but not Dog or Cat? I don’t really know how to get these in line with the others… seems fitting we’re stuck at thirteen, the unlucky number. There’s no real way to incorporate these fully into the element system, but with a bit of creativity we can figure this out.

250px-006Charizard.png
250px-210Granbull.png

Dragon and Bug are cool in the way that they present two opposite ‘power levels’; the weak tiny common bugs and the strong cool rare dragons! I like that enough to just keep that as is, but Ghost and especially Fairy are kinda weird. The term ‘ghost’ has plenty of negative connotations and is connected to the idea of people dying ( oh, hi there Yamask ). Perhaps ‘Spirit’ would be more neutral? Fairy is just kinda there. I think there were more than a few people who expected the new type to be ‘Light’ to balance out Dark, and I’d also prefer that over Fairy. You could even combine it with Spirit to indicate the nature of the spirit ( Light Spirit and Dark Spirit ) or with an element to represent elemental spirits, but that’s opening a whole other can of worms.

So to recap: I feel some of the types have odd names and when looking at all the types together, they seem somewhat inconsistent. Some types are weirdly specific ( Grass / Steel ), some types fall in the classic elements category ( Water / Fire / Ground ), others may or may not indicate abilities of the POKéMON ( Psychic / Flying ) and then there’s also typing more concerned with the species of the POKéMON ( Dragon / Bug ). The one type I haven’t mentioned up to this point is Normal. Normal is ok I guess. I get the need for a ‘neutral’ type. It’s just that the rest of the types are not entirely consistent with one another.

Am I the only one who feels like this? Is there some grand design behind it all that I am missing? Is it some translation thing? Also, more importantly; am I a crazy person for caring about this so much? Should I step away from my 3DS?

NotLiquid

Fairy is really the only one I had some trouble in swallowing.

Everything else feels fairly straightforward and self-explanatory.

daxgame

I dislike the "Fairy" name but apart from that... yeah, maybe you should step away... from GAF, not from your 3DS :p

Bakkus

Flying more than covers Air/Wind

Isn't also Dark called Evil in Japanese? I'd say that's a brilliant change by the English localizers.

GameFreak made up shit as the series got popular. You shouldn't try to apply logic to Pokemon.

It's the same thing with Kojima and Metal Gear. Retcons (some cool, some not so much) everywhere in every new game.

Fairy is really the only one I had some trouble in swallowing.

Everything else feels fairly straightforward and self-explanatory.

Fairy at this point might as well be seen as "Is it girly? Is it Pink? Make it a fairy"

Minus Flabébé/Floette/Florges (which I still think is a grass type) and Klefki.

Fairy is the newest typing that they are just bolting it to random stuff just because.

Fairy should probably be "Magic" but that also just sounds goofy. Magic. Pfft.

Naming things is a delicate business.

At least that one would make more sense.

I'm surprised you didn't reference any of the original japanese names at all, since it'd be pretty easy to borrow from them.

Dark being Evil

Psychic being Esper

L Thammy

Psychic : Now there’s one more adjective to get rid of. Psychic doesn’t really do anything especially wrong in terms of naming aside from being an adjective and being a fairly specific ability for so many POKéMON to have, so let me just cut to the chase and rename it ‘Mind’. Mind is a bit broader and we can still have that ‘brains vs. brawn’, ‘mind vs. body’ thing between Mind and Strength.

I think psychic powers being commonplace is a way that the Pokemon world inherits from EarthBound, seeing as Creatures was formed from APE or is the same company with its name changed or something. Like how Blue is Pokey's dickery - albeit without the sympathetic aspect of having horrible parenting and no friends. And how Mewtwo is pretty much a man-made Giegue, with the light fetus imagery and all.

Also, I enjoy your thread. Screw the haters.

Toxi

Banned
Dark has always been kind of iffy to me, as darkness refers to the absence of something rather than the presence of something and I feel the way it is meant to represent ‘evilness’ is silly, but an argument could be made for including it here so let’s just get it in too.
The Dark type is not about the absence of light. It's the asshole type for asshole Pokemon, with vicious or dishonorable moves like Crunch, Taunt, Sucker Punch, etc. In Japan it's literally named "Evil".

Ghost is generally the type for darkness and shadows.

Fairy at this point might as well be seen as "Is it girly? Is it Pink? Make it a fairy"

Minus Flabébé/Floette/Florges (which I still think is a grass type) and Klefki.

Fairy is the newest typing that they are just bolting it to random stuff just because.

At least that one would make more sense.

I wish they'd been more consistent with the Fairy type retconning. The Pokemon they did change generally have connections to love (Gardevoir line) or magic (Clefable line, Mr Mime). But then they miss out Pokemon like Jirachi and Manaphy, and give it to Pokemon like Marill line and Wigglytuff line? Whimsicott line? So strange.

Then there's the type's signature move being Moonblast, and Lunaala not getting the Fairy typing. WTF?

Sandfox

The typings seem fine to me. I'm sure the creators looked at it from a collector standpoint rather than trying to simply play off of the elements

I wish they'd been more consistent with the Fairy type retconning. The Pokemon they did change generally have connections to love (Gardevoir line) or magic (Clefable line, Mr Mime). But then they miss out Pokemon like Jirachi and Manaphy, and give it to Pokemon like Marill line and Wigglytuff line? Whimsicott line? So strange.

Then there's the type's signature move being Moonblast, and Lunaala not getting the Fairy typing. WTF?
They probably didn't want to go back and change the typing for old mythical pokemon.

clemenx

Banned
Fairy is just there to balance Dragons. It's actually pretty funny that all this pink and cute stuff is what puts in check the most menacing type of the game.

Queue the Sylveon x Hydreigon art.

L Thammy

The term ‘ghost’ has plenty of negative connotations and is connected to the idea of people dying ( oh, hi there Yamask ). Perhaps ‘Spirit’ would be more neutral?

political correctness gone mad

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
You're a crazy person for spelling Pokémon as "POKéMON".
I'm sorry, it's just stuck in my head like that. D:
love that you actually wrote "POKéMON"
<3
If there was to be another type what would you go for OP?
Haven't really put much thought into it, and I don't think the game would benefit from just adding more types slowly. Though I did mention 'Light' as a counter to 'Dark' in the OP, so I guess that would be one ( though that is more about wishing Fairy had been Light instead ). Maybe something space-related or 'other-wordly'? Like "Cosmos" or "Space" or "Aether" or something that maybe sounds a bit better. -w- It could retroactively apply to for example Solrock, Lunatone, Deoxys and Jirachi, but would probably be too narrow to be its own thing. Again; not much of a fan on adding more types aside from maybe one or two if they make good sense.

EDIT:
political correctness gone mad
No, not like that. x3
I meant it more in the way that it does not really make sense to have that as a type when compared to the other types that do not necessarily have negative / positive connotations or are otherwise 'neutral'.

Kinsei

Banned

Yeah, fairy is a good idea on paper but the way they implemented it wasn't very good. I was hoping Sun & Moon would give the typing a more coherent theme but with Lunala being Psychic/Ghost I don't think that's going to happen.

NotLiquid

I'll give you some of them like Manaphy but Jirachi I can understand why they'd retain the typing. Jirachi already has a dual typing and Steel is arguably it's trademark type. Getting rid of Psychic is a bit of a stretch as well since Jirachi has a lot of Psychic moves that also play into it's foresight-related moves (Future Sight, Doomsday Desire). Giving it a Fairy-type is only appealing to it's pixie-like design and not it's actual abilities.

Retconning a dual type is something that's rather hard to do. That's something of a risk you deal with though by introducing additional types. I do think that Lunaala could have been Fairy / Ghost instead but it's still a unique typing we got for it nonetheless.

Yeah exactly. Mainly Maril and Jiggly lines that confused me a lot. And then Pokemon that should have Moonblast that don't.

But hey what can you expect from the series where there is a Ground type move called Spikes that no ground type Pokemon can learn...

Yes I am serious.

L Thammy

Can't see why. Certainly more justifiable in-universe - makes sense that a Pokedex would misclassify Jirachi than, say, Marill.

Take a moment to think about that misclassification explanation. So every time we fought a Magneton and hit it with a fire type move, we thought that it was taking normal damage, but it was actually taking twice as much. So then, is the health bar a reliable indicator of how much damage the Pokemon has taken, or is it something we're getting second-hand from our Pokedex or some other technological source that can only feed us its best guess according to current science? Perhaps all of this time we've been pushing our Steel and Fairy type Pokemon to fight until past the point where they should have stopped, or pulled them out early when they aren't really roughed up at all, just because of bad data.

Are you saying I'm not controlling magical elf monsters to do my bidding in fights?

Are you playing one of the Chinese translations?

I'll give you some of them like Manaphy but Jirachi I can understand why they'd retain the typing. Jirachi already has a dual typing and Steel is arguably it's trademark type. Getting rid of Psychic is a bit of a stretch as well since Jirachi has a lot of Psychic moves that also play into it's foresight-related moves (Future Sight, Doomsday Desire). Giving it a Fairy-type is only appealing to it's pixie-like design and not it's actual abilities.

Retconning a dual type is something that's rather hard to do. That's something of a risk you deal with though by introducing additional types. I do think that Lunaala could have been Fairy / Ghost instead but it's still a unique typing we got for it nonetheless.

Granted, I'm not super well-versed in the "lore" of Jirachi or whatever, but that Steel typing always seemed stupid to me. Ditch it, make it Psychic/Fairy.

Take a moment to think about that misclassification explanation. So every time we fought a Magneton and hit it with a fire type move, we thought that it was taking normal damage, but it was actually taking twice as much. So then, is the health bar a reliable indicator of how much damage the Pokemon has taken, or is it something we're getting second-hand from our Pokedex or some other technological source that can only feed us its best guess according to current science? Perhaps all of this time we've been pushing our Steel and Fairy type Pokemon to fight until past the point where they should have stopped, or pulled them out early when they aren't really roughed up at all, just because of bad data.

owwwwww my head hurts

Blame English.

Even though I find English translation better than the Spanish translation, in Spanish "Grass" type is "Plant" Type (Planta), Ground type is "Tierra", a word that can refer to Land, Earth AND Ground at the same type. Dark Type is "Siniestro" (Evil Type) and so on.

Fighting type is for those Pokemon whose fighting style resembles those of human fighters, by the use of Martial Arts, Wrestling and other type of fighting. It even has something as an Energy blast like hadoken. In Spanish it is "Lucha" which is a word that can be used for everything mentioned.

Kinsei

Banned

Psychic/Ghost is not a unique type, Hoopa also has it.

Nanashrew

Banned

Are you playing one of the Chinese translations?

Nah, but I do love Vietnamese Crystal for its crazy writing.

NotLiquid

Psychic/Ghost is not a unique type, Hoopa also has it.

One out of over 700 at this point still makes it a fairly exclusive typing, though I will admit at the time I had forgotten that Fairy / Ghost is a typing that hasn't existed at all.

I've actually thought about this before. I take a lot of these "elements" for granted because I grew up with Pokémon, but really you wouldn't see some of these in any other RPG, and if I was a newcomer to the series I would find some of them strange. I like how the TCG does it, where it combines some of the more specific types under larger umbrellas.

L Thammy

There's no such thing as a Fish type POKéMON though. If they did come up with one, they'd have to change the type of like half of the existing POKéMON.

Strimei

There's no such thing as a Fish type POKéMON though. If they did come up with one, they'd have to change the type of like half of the existing POKéMON.

Technically speaking, there's no bird type pokemon either, its flying.

I was just being a bit silly anyway, sheesh.

Raonak

Banned
Why is electric super effective against flying and not effective against ground, when it should be the opposite?

WPS

While pokémon's choice of names for the various elements are bizarre, you can't deny it grants them at least some recognisability. Referring to air or wind as an element evokes nearly anything with an elemental system, but flying type immediately brings to mind Pokémon. Same with grass versus plant. It sounds a little awkward, but its still totally understandable and significantly more unique.

For the record, I don't think flying was originally meant to be wind at all. In RBY, your flying moves were wing attack, peck, drill peck, fly, mirror move and sky attack. Gust and Whirlwind were both normal type moves, and the type was physical. The type was originally bird, after all.

(Also Fairy totally should have been Fey, and weak to itself like the other two mythical creature types)

Top Bottom