• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y will not receive a patch for compatibility with ORAS's new Megas

Game Freak, developers of one of the most profitable franchises in gaming, has decided not to patch their year-old game to make it compatible with the new features in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

ORAS features new Megas, attacks and abilities, none of which will be usable in battles against players with X and Y. The reason? Fuck you, pay us.

Coupled with this, the lack of trainer customisation (because only people in France have clothes changes, or tanned skin), and the lack of improvements to their shitty X and Y engine, Game Freak really are plumbing new depths of laziness.

Bear in mind, Mega Latios and Mega Latias are already in the XY files, so we'll be able to use a grand total of two of the new Megas. Gee, thanks.

CONTEXT:
Here's a post explaining why this might be upsetting for some people (everyone who's saying "buy the new games to get the new stuff, duh, every other franchise is like that", read this):

XY and ORAS are both 6th generation mainline Pokémon games. A new generation begins with a new game that introduces new Pokémon, a new region, changes in gameplay mechanics, etc.

Traditionally, Pokémon players have come to expect near-perfect compatibility between games in the same generation. You are able to trade and battle with no limitations between Ruby and LeafGreen, or Black and White 2, for example. Whenever there were new mid-generation additions to new games, they were handled as such:

Gen IV

• In Platinum, new forms for Rotom and Giratina were added. These forms were not in Diamond and Pearl (the previous games), so the solution Game Freak found was to revert these Pokémon to their original forms when connecting to previous games.
  • In HeartGold and SoulSilver, new Poké Balls were introduced that didn't exist in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. The solution was to prevent these items from being held by Pokémon, so they couldn't be traded. There was also a special Pichu form that couldn't be with you when connecting to other games.

Gen V
  • There were new forms for some Pokémon introduced when going from Black/White to Black 2/White 2. These forms could be used in battle against BW players, who would see them as their normal forms (while they kept all the stats and attacks of the new forms).

In games that included hundreds of Pokémon and items, this was a very low number of compatibility "issues" that were always resolved in some (sometimes not very gracious) ways, but the compatibility was near ~100% between same-gen games. And even then, the DS didn't support game patches, so being outraged by the issues listed above would be even sillier.

ORAS are now taking a somewhat new approach of adding a very significant number of items, (Mega) Evolutions, attacks and abilities that just don't exist in XY's data (the latter two are a huge red flag for breaking compatibility). All of this while still being a Gen VI game.

With all these changes, the precedent of near-perfect compatibility between same-gen games, and the 3DS supporting game patches, it's not hard to see why some people are disappointed at the number of new additions they won't be able to share or use against XY players.

Andrefpvs

Bummer :(

I suppose they want to avoid the issue of having a save file with undefined items in case someone deletes their patch. Even though I'm sure the 3DS firmware could be updated with a function to prevent this from happening.

It's "Nintendo". Somehow people will defend/ignore this.

Bummer :(

I suppose they want to avoid the issue of having a save file with undefined items in case someone deletes their patch.

"This Save Data is not compatible with the version of the game you are playing".

If Konami did it with MGS4, I don't know why GameFreaks wouldn't be able to.

Hazu

But what would be the point to have them compatible in older versions?

There's pretty much no post game or anything to do in X and Y, not sure why people would keep playing them.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I actually hope mega evolutions are only for this generation and the remakes - I'd rather not have them in future games.

SerTapTap

Lame. Especially when Mega Lati@s is already on the cart. I think I'll still get the game, but I'm not especially happy with how this is turning out, aside from the flying on the overworld thing. But shit, I'd trade that for new clothes and stuff.

I actually hope mega evolutions are only for this generation and the remakes - I'd rather not have them in future games.

I'd be fine with that, actually. Gen 4 had the better idea in just giving real evolutions.

But what would be the point to have them compatible in older versions?

There's pretty much no post game or anything to do in X and Y, not sure why people would keep playing them.

So you can fight and trade with your friends who only have ORAS/XY

Sandfox

Game Freak, developers of one of the most profitable franchises in gaming, has decided not to patch their year-old game to make it compatible with the new features in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

ORAS features new Megas, attacks and abilities, none of which will be usable in battles against players with X and Y. The reason? Fuck you, pay us.

Coupled with this, the lack of trainer customisation (because only people in France have clothes changes, or tanned skin), and the lack of improvements to their shitty X and Y engine, Game Freak really are plumbing new depths of laziness.

Did they outright say that? I'm assuming you'll be able to use them in battles but not trade them.

Drago

Pokémon X / Y will be compatible with ORAS, but there will be no patch to make the primal evolutions available in X and Y. The same goes for the new mega evolutions.

This reads more like that there won't be a patch that makes the ORAS megas obtainable in XY, not that they won't be usable online. To me anyways, maybe my reading comprehension is way off here.

Still blocks off XY users from using the new megas either way without buying ORAS, which is bullcrap

Meh, buying it anyway, but that's annoying regardless and makes little sense imo.

As long as I can beat the game with my brain turned on this time, I'm good.

Holmes

"Go buy our yearly Pokemon release"
I hate how Japan does this. Same with Monster Hunter and Yo-kai Watch and others...making multiple versions of the same game, then a year later, release a newer version(s) with some improvements that you can only benefit from by buying that version, full price.

Making year-old games obsolete in terms of new moves and abilities is pretty damned lazy, yes.

Hell, that's being generous about their motives.

Did they outright say that? I'm assuming you'll be able to use them in battles but not trade them.

There's no data for Mega Evolutions apart from the ones programmed into X and Y. The legendary Megas/Primals have new abilities and moves which also can't be used. This'd all require a patch.

Isn't this just like how you couldn't get Origin Forme Giratina in D/P from Platinum?

Yes. Difference is that 3DS games are patchable, whereas DS games weren't.

Sandfox

This reads more like that there won't be a patch that makes the ORAS megas obtainable in XY, not that they won't be usable online.

Still blocks off XY users from the new megas either way which is bullcrap

Its the same way new forms couldn't be traded over.

There's no data for Mega Evolutions apart from the ones programmed into X and Y. The legendary Megas/Primals have new abilities and moves which also can't be used. This'd all require a patch.
That didn't stop battles in the older games.
I hate how Japan does this. Same with Monster Hunter and Yo-kai Watch and others...making multiple versions of the same game, then a year later, release a newer version(s) with some improvements that you can only benefit from by buying that version, full price.
If people like a game they will buy every new version. Its the same reason people buy sports games every year even though some of them are basically just roster updates.

Zareka

I'm getting siiiiiick at how lazy Game Freak are being now. We know this game still doesn't have full 3D and if it ends up averaging at about 15 fps in battles again I'm gonna be pretty annoyed. They can't even be arsed coding the damn game properly.

First Nintendo device with Pokemon that can easily support patches and...

they drop the ball.

Well, is this actually going to affect the buying decisions of anyone?

absolutely-disgusting2.jpg.jpeg

What ever happened to the old old days where you could connect Fire Red with Emerald just fine? Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are not new iterations of the game series, just remakes of old games using the same engine as X and Y. Not patching a few megabytes into a game in this modern time when it would only take the slightest effort due to both game using the same engine is, well, refer to the picture.

sonto340

Well yeah.
When call of duty advanced warfare comes out i won't be able to use the new perks or maps in ghosts. But go ahead and keep posting "LOLNINTENDO" comments guys. Super productive

OT: the way that pokemon has always worked is that you transfer your pokemon to the new game and then you have them all in one game. You've never been able to trade back. You couldn't trade new pokemon from gold to red. Why is this any different. Its not like there's anything at all to do in XY after you beat the E4 anyway. LITERALLY LIKE TWO THINGS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I don't recall much on how BW2 handled it, but did fused form and origin form have new moves?

JoeM86

My post about this

Anyway, I was thinking and there may be a logical reason behind no patch...at least for not having them in your game.

Say you patched it and you shifted the Beedrillite over and it's on your Beedrill in your party. Now, say you delete the patch, or move the game onto an unpatched machine and play there. BAM. Glitch data, broken game.

Though they should at least have done a patch so you can see them in battle for full compatibility

ohlawd

I'm speaking for myself (wow so selfish) but I wasn't going to touch X/Y anymore regardless of a content patch.

it's ok GameFreak, my money will still line your pockets :3

Andrefpvs

"This Save Data is not compatible with the version of the game you are playing".

If Konami did it with MGS4, I don't know why GameFreaks wouldn't be able to.

I'm not sure how the 3DS handles stuff like this -- it's not like patching games is very common on the 3DS. For that message to appear, the original, unpatched (1.0) X/Y game would have had to include a version check, and I'm not sure how much forethought Game Freak had regarding this.

But yeah, this is going to cause some issues. People are going to be wondering why they can't use some of their Megas against their friends, especially with them introducing so many in ORAS. Disappointing.

Brofield

Seriously, I wanted to change Brendan's fucking hat for something that doesn't look like his hair is lacking in pigmentation/melanin.

This is some triple A steak bullshit.

Drago

Its the same way new forms couldn't be traded over.
Several new Mega Pokemon not being available to those who only have XY is a lot more important than the usual new forme change for maybe one or two Pokemon that's exclusive to a third version/remake.

Bass260

I don't see the issue. You didn't buy XY with the expectation of new Mega's to be patched in. This is complaining for the sake of complaining. It's like if you bought Pokemon Red, why would you expect to be able to use Gold/Silver Pokemon in it? You bought it to play Pokemon Red and not for future prospects.

Now on the other hand, I agree their shoddy engine is just lazy.

FSLink

Banned
I'm not sure how the 3DS handles stuff like this -- it's not like patching games is very common on the 3DS. For that message to appear, the original X/Y game would have to include a version check, and I'm not sure how much forethought Game Freak had regarding this. Disappointing.
I doubt they did think about it, which is really stupid but not much they can do about it now...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
lol Game Freak are such a shoddy developer. They make great games but tech-wise they are always years behind. A hefty patch was probably beyond their technical expertise.

At least with Pokemon Bank it will be easy to transfer all your Pokemon.

StingX2

You lost me with "and the lack of improvements to their shitty X and Y engine". Thought the X & Y engine was fantastic, only bad one was Diamond/Pearl

New game has new features and requires users to get new game...

Of course we would always want all of our old games to be updated to support the latest features of the newest games, but that is not common practice, and I don't see why anyone would expect that here either.

"Stop defending Nintendo!" I'm not defending Nintendo... I'm just stating the fact that this is common practice in the industry at large... There are likely very good reasons for NOT updating the older game, such as increasing the minimum space requirements for the game (those added models/sounds/textures/etc all take up space), and simply the added dev time which is being used on the current and future titles.

Juraash

Also no more player customization.

Dammit Nintendo. You did so much right with XY.

Is this for certain confirmed? I've been holding out hope ever since the announced the games. Guess I'm not really surprised since it seems like each new Pokémon game (or at least each new generation) introduces a beloved new feature that never appears again.

Secret bases from R/S were never as cool even though part of genIV had them. We never got our Pokémon to follow us again after the HG/SS remakes. And now we can't customize our characters again.

Also the news in the OP comes as no surprise to me. It may kinda suck but it really isn't a shock given how these games are typically handled.

Keyouta

Gamefreak is really lazy, and doesn't hire enough people, which is crazy for how big the franchise is. Engine problems, removing features, etc. Games within a generation should be compatible all the way through with the ability to patch the games now. Really dumb that they can't find time, or won't, to make it happen.

DedValve

Banned
I can't be black in ORAS? Not even dark skinned like in XY?

Whhyyyyyyy :(

My trainer was the darkest skin available in XY and I really loved him :(

That didn't stop battles in the older games.

They've never introduced new abilities and moves mid gen before. They've always been hidden in the code, even if you couldn't use them in-game.

OT: the way that pokemon has always worked is that you transfer your pokemon to the new game and then you have them all in one game. You've never been able to trade back.

I was able to trade back and forth between Diamond and Pearl and HeartGold and SoulSilver as much as my heart desired. The only exceptions were the oddly-coloured Pichus, which was fair enough because DS GAMES WEREN'T PATCHABLE. 3DS GAMES ARE. X AND Y HAVE ALREADY BEEN PATCHED.

SerTapTap

This is kinda worse. You don't get the XY features either, basically. And XY is effectively missing pokemon that are potentially relevant for competitive battling. At least if you buy Monster Hunter Extreme Ultimate G Unit you (I think) get all the content of the original but better, right?

I can't be black in ORAS? Not even dark skinned like in XY?

Whhyyyyyyy :(

My trainer was the darkest skin available in XY and I really loved him :(

They even avoided the whole "games with customizable characters have no personality!" thing, male and female trainers still had clear default models used in promo stuff, meanwhile in-game we could customize (almost) to our hearts content. It's super lame to miss out on this feature. I liked collecting clothes almost as much as collecting pokemon.

I think generations as we knew them before are probably pretty much over. Games are going to introduce new stuff way more rapidly from now on, I think, regardless of if brand new Pokemon are being introduced.

My post about this

Ideally, they'd think about that and include data for something like "UNKNOWNITE" that does jack shit if you delete the patch and are stuck with Beedrillite the game doesn't recognise. So no game corruption.

trixx

might cancel pre-order for this game. I liked emerald a lot, but i'm not too hyped. Could probably use money for captain toad instead.

Top Bottom