• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon D/P are the fastest selling Pokemon titles ever

Meier

After more than 10 years as one of the most popular entertainment franchises in the world, Pokemon(R) video games are once again shattering sales records. Just three months after launching on Sept. 28, Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl shipped a record-breaking 5 million units to retailers in Japan, making them the fastest selling Pokemon games ever. More than 155 million copies of the Pokemon series have been sold around the world through September 2006.

Via Nintendo PR.

KINGMOKU

map-asiacopy.jpg

pokeday.jpg

Love threads I can whip out old photoshops.

mtpika.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
first pokemon game i'll buy since uh... pokemon red. online battles=hawtness

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So much for every main installment in the series selling less in the past making the series a fad that was slowly fading away with each generation.

nubbe

omg Pokemon a non-game?

lawlz

It's the most complete game experience you can get.
RPG and competitive player matching at its core. It also have all the basic foundations to become the best MMO ever with full focus on PvP and PvE.

Muppet345

Avalon said:
Wasn't the game not as good as other Pokemon titles?
It has to be better for two reasons.

-Online battling
-Online trading

These aren't just a convenience. Even if you need to swap friend codes to get the most out of them, these two features eliminate some of the major problems with the Pokemon formula. For example, you haven't been able to catch all of the Pokemon since Red/Blue unless you bought several copies of different Pokemon games, and a second GBA or a Gamecube with Pokemon Box. That's ridiculous and tedious.

ethelred

I don't understand why anyone would find this either surprising or newsworthy, given that we already know that Nintendo recognized the DS's niche with the DS, and that it was narrowed down to a boy or girl's ability to enjoy Pokemon.

ethelred said:
I don't understand why anyone would find this either surprising or newsworthy, given that we already know that Nintendo recognized the DS's niche with the DS, and that it was narrowed down to a boy or girl's ability to enjoy Pokemon.

:lol

Avalon

Kevar said:
It has to be better for two reasons.

-Online battling
-Online trading

These aren't just a convenience.

Well, the games had no problem before without them. Not that they aren't great additions. I meant more along the lines of things you could do in a single player game. Emerald has a ton of stuff to do, I'm just wondering if D/P are a step back in that regard.

Meier

Pokemon will have some trouble catching up to Mario in the long run, but those sales numbers in comparison to the number of game releases is pretty staggering.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Avalon said:
Wasn't the game not as good as other Pokemon titles?
online battles! come on online battles!

how can it be worse than the other Pokemans with that?

cvxfreak

Diamond and Pearl are for sure going to surpass Ruby and Sapphire, and maybe even have the legs to surpass Gold and Silver.

...now this makes me wonder if the DSL shortages in North America are a result of Nintendo stockpiling the system for the ultimate megaton at the end of April. ;)

Jiggy

Avalon said:
Well, the games had no problem before without them. Not that they aren't great additions. I meant more along the lines of things you could do in a single player game. Emerald has a ton of stuff to do, I'm just wondering if D/P are a step back in that regard.
Since you're singling out Emerald instead of R/S, I'm guessing you're including the Battle Frontier... In which case, yes, admittedly there are less things to do in a pure single-player game in D/P. Of course, pretty much all of the things that both games do D/P does better, but still.

Top Bottom