• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl first week sales: best ever for the series

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
pokemanspearlcw4.jpg

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This always happens. GAF gets first week numbers and go "eh... nothing special sort of a dissapoitment if u ask me". Its like if it doesn't sell 3million in 7 days then it under-performed. I still remember when everyone thought MKDS had dissapointing sales and would bottom out just above Double Dash but now look where it is. It seems patience is a virtue unbeknowest to the average sales-whore.

Yeah, but the DS is breaking all records in Japan, so we'd hoped a couple more would be broken.

Apparently 'best selling 1st week for Pokemon' is here. Now let's see 'fastest to 3 million'.

MrNibbles

Banned
Japanese-speaking girlfriend confirms: That article suggests those are 0-day sales figures.

Edit - I pressed her for more clarity. She doesn't seem to give a rats ass.
(Til I import the ****er, of course)
It says on 9/28 they were released. It has sold blah.
So, whenever it was written (4 days?) sales figure.

Can't wait for Sales-Age.

apujanata

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, but the DS is breaking all records in Japan, so we'd hoped a couple moer were broken.

Apparently 'best selling 1st week for Pokemon' is here. Now let's see 'fastest to 3 million'.

According to Famitsu :
Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire
1st week : 1,245,003
2 Million milestone : 18 days : 2,037,949
3 Million milestone : 46 days (could be sooner, but Famitsu put two week sales figure at end of Dec 02) : 3,606,593
4 Million milestone : 81 days : 4,001,057
5 Million milestone : 438 days : 5,000,878

Fastest to 3 Million :
Dragon Quest VIII : 23 days
New Super Mario Brothers : 116 days
More Brain Age (Motto) : 235 days
Animal Crossing : Wild World (Oideyo) : 243 days

Beezy

MrNibbles said:
Japanese-speaking girlfriend confirms: That article suggests those are 0-day sales figures.

o_O

Pokeman D/P managed to sell 1.57 million copies before they were even released! Stop the intarnets!!!

apujanata

MrNibbles said:

Edit - I pressed her for more clarity. She doesn't seem to give a rats ass.
(Til I import the ****er, of course)
It says on 9/28 they were released. It has sold blah.
So, whenever it was written (4 days?) sales figure.

Can't wait for Sales-Age.

Please read post # 31 by Jonnyram, Japanese speaking GAFers (and gamers)

MrNibbles

Banned
0-day means day of.
Anyway. They're probably (based on the numbers) the 4-day/weekend sales. Or whatever.
The article doesn't stipulate when it reached those numbers, it just says (basically):

On 9-28 Pokemans came out. It has already sold a lot.

Edit - I did read that post. I asked her before it was posted, but she was not around to answer in times.

Allen

PhoenixDark said:
Impressive I suppose

You suppose? These numbers ARE impressive.

apujanata said:
Fastest to 3 Million :
Dragon Quest VIII : 23 days
New Super Mario Brothers : 116 days
More Brain Age (Motto) : 235 days
Animal Crossing : Wild World (Oideyo) : 243 days

23 days will be hard to beat, but unless we see a major shortage D/P will have no problem beating NSMB.

Ngeist

ethelred said:
In a series that's been in a steadily and noticably consistent sales decline since its inception, when the latest entry sells a good chunk more in its first week than any of the prior games have sold in their first week, and you expect more... how reasonable were your expectations, one must ask.

Considering Nintendo has shipped two millions, and that there are many [sold out], I was expecting something closer to 2 Millions

Pimpbaa said:
Pokemon is a fad, it won't last a year or two.
always love being reminded of this :)

remember that flash video that Fargo on Gamespy made, like 5 years ago about how pokemon was finished, set to My Way?

Yamauchi said:
I have a feeling these games are going to sell well over the holidays. Really well.

Yeah, I agree. There's something new with this new version of Pokémon launching in Japan: every Pokémon has been launched in November. This version came out in September. So, there are two months more to sell before Christmas's period, that will be absolutely INSANE for Nintendo DS. And doesnt' matter the PS3 and the Wii. Nintendo DS will chash both, and by far !

ioi

Banned
Hmmmm, I actually don't think that by the time you've adjusted Pokemon G/S up (since it was being undertracked a little at the time) that D/P remains above it.

I also think that D/P will sell much less in the next few weeks than G/S did in weeks 2-6.

So Poke-bomb??

Jiggy

ioi said:
Hmmmm, I actually don't think that by the time you've adjusted Pokemon G/S up (since it was being undertracked a little at the time) that D/P remains above it.

I also think that D/P will sell much less in the next few weeks than G/S did in weeks 2-6.
Maybe if they can't ship enough.

apujanata

ioi said:

So Poke-bomb??

Considering that week 2-6 for Pokemon G/S is holiday season in Japan (Dec), it is not exactly an apple to apple comparison with Diamond/Pearl. I am sure that LTD of D/P will be above LTD of G/S.

Jonnyram

ioi said:
What if D/P is also being undertracked, then?

apujanata said:
Considering that week 2-6 for Pokemon G/S is holiday season in Japan (Dec), it is not exactly an apple to apple comparison with Diamond/Pearl. I am sure that LTD of D/P will be above LTD of G/S.

It's scary that the DS is doing so well in Japan that a statement like this (that D/P will sell above 7 million LTD) isn't too farfetched.

Considering everything else the DS has done, why not? I don't see D/P leaving the top 10 until spring some time, and even then it will probably pop back in every once in a while.

Clever Pun said:
Considering everything else the DS has done, why not? I don't see D/P leaving the top 10 until spring some time, and even then it will probably pop back in every once in a while.

Theres not enough room on the top 10 anymore for all the games that want to be there. :(

Top Bottom