• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go field test datamined

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am surprised by people getting surprised by Go only having gen 1 Pokémon as they were the only Pokémon shown off during the trailer.

This "game" is just nostalgia pandering towards the gen 1 crowd.

The original 151 are the most well known and widely loved Pokémon. Of course they started with them. It would be stupid to start with any other subset.

And the key word is start. Obviously more will come, probably by launch even. Chill out people.

Well, no Milotics or Empoleons at the start for me.

However that does mean I go back to my original favorite Vaporeon!

The fact they have dark type implemented obviously means they're adding more mons. Gen 1 had no dark types.

Kinsei

Banned
Only the original 151? For a game where what you can catch is based on where you live this seems incredibly stupid.

Feep

Banned
I always felt Pokemon lost a bit of its charm when it became functionally impossible to "catch them all".

OG Gen I forever.

Kinsei

Banned
I always felt Pokemon lost a bit of its charm when it became functionally impossible to "catch them all".

OG Gen I forever.

It's really not any more impossible than it was back then.

Only the original 151 so far.

During a beta.

There will be more.

Modern day gaming has made me too jaded to believe that there will be more Pokemon at launch. I'd love to be wrong though.

I came into this thread thinking that everyone would be ecstatic that only Gen 1 is in there. That is plenty of content to start out with and Gen 1 contains most of the most recognizable Pokemon.

Fbh

Only gen 1 makes sense. They need content for updates that will keep people engaged.

Player X has finally captured all his favorites from gen 1 and now that he is done evolving them he is starting to play less...... oh but look the game got updated with gen 2 so it's time to go back and play again. Oh and the update has landed the game on the front page of all big gaming sites....for free.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Genwunners finally vindicated are all these years of complaining lol.

Ha ha, yeah the table has turned...I don't like it. *flips table* :mad:

I'm confused as to how only having Gen 1 is a bad thing. The recent gens have been garbage.

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Pokemaniac

OG Gen I forever.

It's actually far easier than it used to be to catch 'em all. Breeding + GTS + generally increased variety of wild Pokémon help a lot.

L.O.R.D

BTW,Pokemon cries are from the games, not from anime

So don't expect future Pokemon games to have full voiced Pokemon.

Azuran

Banned
Do you people not understand the concept of a beta, or the concept of updates?

FFS...some of people

It should be obvious at this point these are going to be the only available Pokemon in the first few months depending on how long it takes them to update. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only starting out with like 30 Pokemon which means it's going to take an eternity to get to later gens if they're planning on adding them slowly.

I want Talonflame not crappy ass Fearow.

If Pokeballs are scarce and I wind up having to purchase them with IAPs to really even play this game properly

I will not play this game

Kinsei

Banned
I'm confused as to how only having Gen 1 is a bad thing. The recent gens have been garbage.

Yeah they have stupid things liek inanimate objects, piles of goo, animals with almost no changes, and weird Digimon looking things... Wait a second...

250px-081Magnemite.png

250px-086Seel.png

250px-088Grimer.png

250px-141Kabutops.png

Pokemaniac

I came into this thread thinking that everyone would be ecstatic that only Gen 1 is in there. That is plenty of content to start out with and Gen 1 contains most of the most recognizable Pokemon.

The people who actually want stuff to be Gen I only are a vocal minority. The opinion isn't actually that common in the general fanbase, and is largely held by people who stopped playing long ago.

That doesn't mean the final product will only have the original 151 too.

I hope not! To be clear, my problem here isn't that there is only 151 Pokemon, it's that it's the original 151.

I expect them to update the game over time, especially before launch, but still.

W1SSY

Personally I am glad it is the original 150. I imagine that those are probably the most widely known even of people that did not play the games.

NoKisum

It should be obvious at this point these are going to be the only available Pokemon in the first few months depending on how long it takes them to update. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only starting out with like 30 Pokemon which means it's going to take an eternity to get to later gens if they're planning on adding them slowly.

I want Talonflame not crappy ass Fearow.

If that's truly the case, then I'll jump on the game once the Gen IV patch hits.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I don't want it to be just Gen I, but if that's how it starts I'm also fine with it. I'm sure that'll keep us going for the start.

L Thammy

I'm disappointed that they have the full 150. Pokemon designs started going downhill after you beat the first gym. A purple snake with its name spelled backwards? What is this shit?

250px-023ekansiioea.png

wanders

I hope not! To be clear, my problem here isn't that there is only 151 Pokemon, it's that it's the original 151.

I expect them to update the game over time, especially before launch, but still.

Don't fret. Dark type is in and as far as I know there is not Dark type in Gen 1.

Be happy.

Cbajd5

I understand why it's Gen 1 only at this point, I just hope for launch they at least include some select Pokemon from other gens. (Like starters & legendaries if legendaries aren't just event type deals.)

I'm more upset that I didn't get in the field test. (They can ignore the fact that I don't live in Japan, like I can ignore the fact that I couldn't do anything because of that fact.)

Tambini

Don't know why people expected them to blow their load with loads of pokemon at once, I expected them to start with gen 1

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm happy about Gen 1 only.
Weird to see the negativity here about it though I guess most here are young enough that their first entry to the series was later gens.

Don't fret. Dark type is in and as far as I know there is not Dark type in Gen 1.

Be happy.

Oh, I'm not saying that I expected this to be it, I'm just saying I'm disappointed that it's launching like this. Obviously more would follow, especially given the amount of Gen 1 Pokemon with later evolutions.

Cryxok

I'm happy about Gen 1 only.
Weird to see the negativity here about it though I guess most here are young enough that their first entry to the series was later gens.

I started with Red/Blue/Yellow
Gen1-only means I likely won't play this game too long at launch. I've seen those Pokémon waay too many times. Nostalgia is gone now and Gen1 and 2 are my least favorite (despite spending most of my childhood playing Crystal)

Only the original 151 unfortunately?

Unfortunately?

That's a fucking blessing in disguise! Could you imagine having to deal with nearly 800 monsters out in the field, a majority of which you'll never catch? And are mostly filler anyway? Not even Nintendo can cram in that many in their own side releases. People wanting all of the Pokemon, even half are being deluded. It would be a logistical nightmare.

Azuran

Banned
Don't know why people expected them to blow their load with loads of pokemon at once, I expected them to start with gen 1

Because all Pokemon spinoffs mix things up from all gens instead of only starting out with Pokemon from the same one.

Symphonic

I don't know what people were expecting. This seems pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

This. No way a free mobile game would ship with all Pokemon, not sure why anyone with any knowledge of mobile games would expect that. They need to hold back stuff to update the app over time.

Kyzer

Banned
Makes sense they start with gen 1. I don't want some random fucking assortment from each gen every major update.

Just relax guys. Lol...also understand the majority of mainstream users will recognize gen 1. Pretty much if pikachu, bulbasaur to blastoise, and mewtwo aren't available this thing is DOA

Cryxok

Unfortunately?

That's a fucking blessing in disguise! Could you imagine having to deal with nearly 800 monsters out in the field, a majority of which you'll never catch? And are mostly filler anyway? Not even Nintendo can cram in that many in their own side releases. People wanting all of the Pokemon, even half are being deluded. It would be a logistical nightmare.

Most games (both spin-offs and mainline) start with a mix of both new and old Pokémon. That would've been good to me

Kinsei

Banned

Unfortunately?

You still won't be catching most of the Pokemon if you don;t live in the right place or have some deep pockets. There's a ton of filler in the gen 1 dex too ya know.

Top Bottom