• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Error said:
are you surprised? gamefreaks is so fucking lazy! just embarassing that it looks EXACTLY the same as D/P.

If they speed up the battles considerably, and fix all the interface problems that D/P had... I might bother. Otherwise, there's no point.

That's not laziness...it's be pretty retarded and a waste of resources to create a new 3d engine for a REMAKE. Besides, looking at he short video, there are some upgrades to the engine, but only subtle touches (like the wind blowing)

Jiggy

Eteric Rice said:
[regarding EVs] Do people normally put them all into two stats, or just spread them about as needed?
Depends on the Pokemon. But here's my general thought process:

HP for defensive Pokemon - Max, usually. If not max, I aim for a multiple of 16 for extra Leftovers recovery, then add one from there to reach an odd number so things like Spikes/poison/sandstorm which do damage by a percentage of full HP will require one more turn to beat me.

HP for offensive Pokemon - Odd numbers almost always unless I'm using Substitute in order to get down to a berry boost, in which case I use a multiple of four. If Life Orb is in the plan, I hit a multiple of ten and add one so that, in a miracle situation where I somehow don't incur any other damage except LO recoil, I last one turn longer.

Attack/Special Attack for defensive Pokemon - If there's something highly dangerous which can be KOed or 2HKOed by hitting a certain point, and which can't KO this Pokemon sooner than I can KO it, I'll often hit that stat. Like Earthquake on Lucario or Ice Beam on Salamence.

Attack/Special Attack for offensive Pokemon - Max or hit a stat such that the nature boost (10%) will get a free extra stat point.

Defense/Special Defense for defensive Pokemon - Find a nature boost point, max, or identify something very specific that I want to counter and figure out what stat I need to survive its attacks.

Defense/Special Defense for offensive Pokemon - Usually I only give these to relatively slow Pokemon with stat boost moves, to help ensure they'll get their stat boost in without being KOed first, or if I have leftover EVs with nowhere better to put them. In fact, I think that's all I've ever used them for. But I guess you could find something like Heatran or Jirachi which have so many resistances that you could play on those while still being an offensive Pokemon.

Speed - If the Pokemon's base speed is above 100, then I'm probably maxing it. If it's slower, I'll find something I want to outspeed and hit anywhere from one to five stat points higher. Example of when I'd go five higher: I want to outrun Adamant Metagross, so I need to get up to 240 Speed--but Jolly Tyranitar is at 243 and I might as well outrun that too while I'm at it, so I go up to 244.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
wind blowing=engine upgrade, you can't be serious... that's such an insignificant upgrade!

Who cares if it's a remake? Fact is D/P ran like SHIT, and judging by that vid it doesn't look like these remakes will fare any better.

You'd think with the amount of money this series makes, Gamefreaks would actually bother to make a decent engine that runs smoothly (and looks nice, too)... But it seems they don't give a fuck since they'll make $$$ anyway, well then, I don't give a fuck either!

Firestorm

Error said:
wind blowing=engine upgrade, you can't be serious... that's such an insignificant upgrade!

Who cares if it's a remake? Fact is D/P ran like SHIT, and judging by that vid it doesn't look like these remakes will fare any better.

You'd think with the amount of money this series makes, Gamefreaks would actually bother to make a decent engine that runs smoothly (and looks nice, too)... But it seems they don't give a fuck since they'll make $$$ anyway, well then, I don't give a fuck either!
From what I heard, Platinum doesn't run like shit. I'd like the game speed to be better, but that has nothing to do with the graphical design which is perfectly fine.

jman2050

Error said:

I still don't understand the slowness complaints of some people. Maybe it added up over time, but I certainly didn't even figure there was a problem until I saw some rather fickle dudes on various web sites being up in arms about it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
please, Error, keep getting pissy about a purposefully simplified type of game. you're doing wonders for yourself.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jooey said:
please, Error, keep getting pissy about a purposefully simplified type of game. you're doing wonders for yourself.
I don't think he's really wanting super graphics or a totally remade engine or anything. He just wants the slowdown from the last game fixed and maybe some small visual upgrades.

And I agree that it being a remake doesn't matter much-- it's supposed to be a remake of the best Pokemon, it's the next Pokemon release, and it's going to sell a lot. I'm not (and I doubt he is either) trying to be pedantic about visual effects and engine details, but D/P had some real technical problems.

I haven't tried Platinum though.

Jiggy said:
Depends on the Pokemon. But here's my general thought process:

HP for defensive Pokemon - Max, usually. If not max, I aim for a multiple of 16 for extra Leftovers recovery, then add one from there to reach an odd number so things like Spikes/poison/sandstorm which do damage by a percentage of full HP will require one more turn to beat me.

HP for offensive Pokemon - Odd numbers almost always unless I'm using Substitute in order to get down to a berry boost, in which case I use a multiple of four. If Life Orb is in the plan, I hit a multiple of ten and add one so that, in a miracle situation where I somehow don't incur any other damage except LO recoil, I last one turn longer.

Attack/Special Attack for defensive Pokemon - If there's something highly dangerous which can be KOed or 2HKOed by hitting a certain point, and which can't KO this Pokemon sooner than I can KO it, I'll often hit that stat. Like Earthquake on Lucario or Ice Beam on Salamence.

Attack/Special Attack for offensive Pokemon - Max or hit a stat such that the nature boost (10%) will get a free extra stat point.

Defense/Special Defense for defensive Pokemon - Find a nature boost point, max, or identify something very specific that I want to counter and figure out what stat I need to survive its attacks.

Defense/Special Defense for offensive Pokemon - Usually I only give these to relatively slow Pokemon with stat boost moves, to help ensure they'll get their stat boost in without being KOed first, or if I have leftover EVs with nowhere better to put them. In fact, I think that's all I've ever used them for. But I guess you could find something like Heatran or Jirachi which have so many resistances that you could play on those while still being an offensive Pokemon.

Speed - If the Pokemon's base speed is above 100, then I'm probably maxing it. If it's slower, I'll find something I want to outspeed and hit anywhere from one to five stat points higher. Example of when I'd go five higher: I want to outrun Adamant Metagross, so I need to get up to 240 Speed--but Jolly Tyranitar is at 243 and I might as well outrun that too while I'm at it, so I go up to 244.
Woa dude, you're hardcore!

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Very good. I don't like reading through most Serebii threads because of the underwhelming proportion of intelligent discussion that goes on there, despite (or perhaps because of) it being the first place with the news.

I remember I made an account there during the DP hype days and participating in a grand total of one thread devoid of idiotic fanboy dribbling. One brief, glorious moment where I discussed the pokemon games, their design and direction intelligently with like-minded people. It was like a single perfect snowflake that you held in your hand - it was there and it was gone again as though it had never existed.
Yeah, it took them some time to get those few members with those few points of light in the convo but it turned around once Serebii came. Seems like it's a "well, if Serebii knew it to be fake than he would have just outed it so . . . maybe it's real and we should stop talking about space . . ." thing with the ones who bitched about that.

Its a great site for info but, much like the nsider, by being the largest place for fans it has a shit load of . . . not so informitive convo. Like with the SSBB stuff on the Nsider where this girl had everyone thinking their character was likely or not because "Im from Japan, I know what they like. Gard is like the Lucario of Japan so she is SOO getting in!".

Error said:

I can see how little of a fuck you give.

Y2Kev said:
I don't think he's really wanting super graphics or a totally remade engine or anything. He just wants the slowdown from the last game fixed and maybe some small visual upgrades.

And I agree that it being a remake doesn't matter much-- it's supposed to be a remake of the best Pokemon, it's the next Pokemon release, and it's going to sell a lot. I'm not (and I doubt he is either) trying to be pedantic about visual effects and engine details, but D/P had some real technical problems.

I haven't tried Platinum though.

I don't think those were technical problems...the games didn't have "slowdown", the engine wasn't at fault. Gamefreak intentionally made D/P that slow...slowdown is sporadic and jittery, whereas D/P, while animating slowly, did so consistently

Eteric Rice

Okay, so I used the calculator on Serebii.net (holy shit thats old. I remember that site from back when I was a rabbid fan, was more of a bulbagarden guy though).

So I calculated Gabite (the one that killed my level 49 Staraptor in like 4 shots as a level 15 Gabol or whatever his name is) and this is what it says.

Gabite, Naive LvL25 - HP: 71 (9/0) | Atk: 52 (9/0) | Def: 45 (30/0) : Sp.Atk: 34 (17/0) | Sp.Def: 31 (11/0) | Spd: 58 (31/0) Hidden Power: 57, Dragon : format: stat (IV/EP)

So what does this mean? Lol

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, so I used the calculator on Serebii.net (holy shit thats old. I remember that site from back when I was a rabbid fan, was more of a bulbagarden guy though).

So I calculated Gabite (the one that killed my level 49 Staraptor in like 4 shots as a level 15 Gabol or whatever his name is) and this is what it says.

Gabite, Naive LvL25 - HP: 71 (9/0) | Atk: 52 (9/0) | Def: 45 (30/0) : Sp.Atk: 34 (17/0) | Sp.Def: 31 (11/0) | Spd: 58 (31/0) Hidden Power: 57, Dragon : format: stat (IV/EP)

The main numbers are its base stats, the ones in brackets correspond to Individual Values (unchangeable for each monster & set at birth) / Effort Values (gotten by battling). The Hidden Power stat shows how much of a punch the move Hidden Power would pack coming off this pokemon (57 power, Dragon type).

So, you've got:

Name: Gabite
Nature: Naive
Level: 25
HP: 71 (9)
Atk: 52 (9)
Def: 45 (30)
Sp.Atk: 34 (17)
Sp.Def: 31 (11)
Spd: 58 (31 )

Hidden Power strength: 57, (Dragon type)

Remember, IVs (values in the brackets) have a value between 0 and 32, with 32 being the max. These affect stats, but I don't remember how. This particular Gabite has earned no EVs as yet, so it is either wild or belongs to an in-game trainer.

Also, its nature being Naive means that it gets an added speed boost but a special defence penalty.

Christopher

Eteric Rice said:

this is why pokemon isn't fun

Firestorm

The main numbers are its base stats, the ones in brackets correspond to Individual Values (unchangeable for each monster & set at birth) / Effort Values (gotten by battling). The Hidden Power stat shows how much of a punch the move Hidden Power would pack coming off this pokemon (57 power, Dragon type).

So, you've got:

Name: Gabite
Nature: Naive
Level: 25
HP: 71 (9)
Atk: 52 (9)
Def: 45 (30)
Sp.Atk: 34 (17)
Sp.Def: 31 (11)
Spd: 58 (31 )

Hidden Power strength: 57, (Dragon type)

Remember, IVs (values in the brackets) have a value between 0 and 32, with 32 being the max. These affect stats, but I don't remember how. This particular Gabite has earned no EVs as yet, so it is either wild or belongs to an in-game trainer.
31 is max actually.

Christopher said:
this is why pokemon is fun
fixed for me :)

Zilch

Banned
Obviously someone thinks its fun, or Smogon/competitive battling wouldn't be such a big deal.

But if you really care about what other people think is/isn't fun you can go have a little circlejerk with VOOK.

Jiggy

jman2050 said:
I still don't understand the slowness complaints of some people. Maybe it added up over time, but I certainly didn't even figure there was a problem until I saw some rather fickle dudes on various web sites being up in arms about it.
Try replaying Emerald (or any of the Hoenn versions). I have been, and it's truly amazing how much faster it is than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum--moving around the overworld is swifter and has a solid framerate, the HP bar drains more quickly, scrolling through an item list is faster*, switching between item type lists is faster, picking berries is faster, picking up TMs is faster, and the only reason I can't say for sure that moving Pokemon in boxes is faster is that I'm not yet at the point where I have enough Pokemon to move around to confirm.

Everything absolutely adds up, especially for someone who plays these games for hundreds of hours in every generation. As far as a smooth engine goes, the only noteworthy thing I like more in fourth-gen is that when you turn move animations off, it means all move animations instead of all move animations except stat increases/decreases.

*Faster than English D/P/P, anyway. Japanese D/P/P have significantly faster item menus than their English counterparts.

truendo said:
Yeah, Jiggy is the best player I know.
That's factually wrong. :p You know at least two better people: yeb slaughtered me, and Firestorm may have lost but he did get me down to my last Pokemon with 54 HP even though he was the one loaded up with UUs and NUs.

Eteric Rice

Yeah, the reason his EVs are still at 0 is because I haven't really trained him yet, just used EXP Share as I was leveling my other Pokemon.

Are the base stats on each Pokemon usually always the same? Or are there subtle differences? I mean, my Gabite for instance. How do I know if his base stats are good enough to carry on training him or not?

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, the reason his EVs are still at 0 is because I haven't really trained him yet, just used EXP Share as I was leveling my other Pokemon.

Are the base stats on each Pokemon usually always the same? Or are there subtle differences? I mean, my Gabite for instance. How do I know if his base stats are good enough to carry on training him or not?
You have to have him be "clean" (no EVs) at level 50 or 100 to calculate properly, I think. Game Freak never deigned to give the world an IV calculator.

I think EXP Share also shares EVs, by the way, so be careful.

Chozo

Eteric Rice said:

EXP Share may transfer the EVs from defeated Pokemon. If that's the case, your Gabite's IVs are likely lower than what Serebii's calc shows.

Base stats are the same for all Pokemon of a given species. The differences come in from IVs and EVs.

Jokey665

Eteric Rice said:

Exp share still gives you EVs for the pokemon holding it. And you would need to use one of the various IV calculators (preferably metalkid's) to determine if your Gabite has good IVs or not.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Zilch said:
Obviously someone thinks its fun, or Smogon/competitive battling wouldn't be such a big deal.

But if you really care about what other people think is/isn't fun you can go have a little circlejerk with VOOK.

:lol Cry moar.

Jokey665 said:
Exp share still gives you EVs for the pokemon holding it. And you would need to use one of the various IV calculators (preferably metalkid's) to determine if your Gabite has good IVs or not.
Does anyone know if Metalkid's calculator will reliably give you a monster's stats at lower levels? When I'm breeding, I tend to hatch a bunch of the same monster in a row and from a group of about 15 - 20, I choose the one with the best stats for the next generation. I usually end up with better stats overall that way.

Chozo

Does anyone know if Metalkid's calculator will reliably give you a monster's stats at lower levels? When I'm breeding, I tend to hatch a bunch of the same monster in a row and from a group of about 15 - 20, I choose the one with the best stats for the next generation. I usually end up with better stats overall that way.

Metalkid's gives you a range, and the more level info you input the better the accuracy. I prefer it over Serebii's IMO.

Zilch

Banned
VOOK said:

I'm not crying, like you I have no interest in competitive battling or the metagame.

However, you're way out of line in this thread to attack others for enjoying it, as if it somehow lessens your ability to enjoy the game.

Firestorm

Game Freak doesn't have a public IV calculator because I don't think they want to introduce it to players who want to keep it simple. The hardcore always find a way after all and they'd rather leave it that way.
Jiggy said:
That's factually wrong. :p You know at least two better people: yeb slaughtered me, and Firestorm may have lost but he did get me down to my last Pokemon with 54 HP even though he was the one loaded up with UUs and NUs.
yeb's good at everything :( And I'd still say you're better than me overall. We've only ever had one battle. I might post that warstory up as a new topic just as a celebration of competitive Pokemon! One of the most intense and close battles I've ever had :)

Well, the best way to use MetalKids (most accurate calculator afaik) is to have a bunch of rare candy on hand. Enter stats, level up with candy, enter stats, level up with candy, repeat a few times 'til you get it. Then reset the game so you're back at lv1 and have your candies.

VOOK said:
You acted like a douche before and he's referring to that. It's not like you publically clarified anything so stop inciting more flames.

Jiggy

GameFreak took marginal steps toward revealing IVs, with the old man in Emerald and the sunglasses guy in Platinum who give you a very rough summary ("this one is wonderfully stupendous!" "this one, I would say, is above average" and so on, along with annonucing what a Pokemon's single highest IV is), but I do wonder if they'll ever seriously go through with it. Might ruin the game for a lot of people.

And understandably so.

It'll reliably give you a range of IVs. Most of the time you can't nail down a specific stat at level 1, though there are some very rare exceptions--you can know whether you have a 30-31 in a stat if it's a base 85 like, say, the Speed stat of Heracross or the Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed stats of Misdreavus--but it's better than nothing.

If by any chance you're in Platinum, there's also a guy in the Battle Frontier who'll give you a very rough summary of a Pokemon's IVs as a whole. And then there's always IV battling, but you'd need to find somebody to do that with on a consistent basis unless you have access to two or more DSes...

Edit: Also, this helps very slightly in a process of elimination way:

http://www.serebii.net/games/characteristics.shtml

Jokey665

No calculator will give you accurate stats at low levels. The best thing you can do is daycare it to level 15 or so, then save and rare candy it a bunch of times, putting the stats each level into metalkid's then resetting to get your rare candies back.

Or a level 100 wifi battle, which is what I do as I have 2 DSes and both Diamond and Pearl, so I can just battle myself to check 6 pokemon at a time.

Chozo

Jiggy said:
GameFreak took marginal steps toward revealing IVs, with the old man in Emerald and the sunglasses guy in Platinum who give you a very rough summary ("this one is wonderfully stupendous!" "this one, I would say, is above average" and so on, along with annonucing what a Pokemon's single highest IV is), but I do wonder if they'll ever seriously go through with it. Might ruin the game for a lot of people.

And understandably so.

It would. Look at how many people go "OMG I HAVE TO START EV TRAINING TO BEAT THE ELITE FOUR OMG OMG" when you point out how stat mechanics work. In the long run it's probably better that the mechanics stay under the hood for people who really want to know how they work and everyone else can enjoy the game without feeling that they absolutely have to breed 31/31/31/31/31/31 Pokemon to not get destroyed by Cynthia.

VOOK said:
See can't post in here unless you love the metagame! Post an opinion, get flamed. If I'm going to attacked just for liking Pokemon without delving into the metagame then I'll attack back.

Is there something wrong with playing Pokemon non-competitive?

If you don't play competitively, why the fuck do you even care what people do in the meta? I don't like the competitive Smash community, but since I have no intention of ever playing them they can do whatever the Hell they want and it has no bearing on my own enjoyment. One would think this would be doubly the case in Pokemon (which, unlike Smash, has a far more fleshed out and significant single-player experience) but I guess not.

Jokey665 said:
No calculator will give you accurate stats at low levels. The best thing you can do is daycare it to level 15 or so, then save and rare candy it a bunch of times, putting the stats each level into metalkid's then resetting to get your rare candies back.

Or a level 100 wifi battle, which is what I do as I have 2 DSes and both Diamond and Pearl, so I can just battle myself to check 6 pokemon at a time.
That would make things much easier. Battle Frontier would have much the same effect if you only had the one DS.

Of course, you'd have to be prepared to lose a bunch of times.

Chozo said:
It would. Look at how many people go "OMG I HAVE TO START EV TRAINING TO BEAT THE ELITE FOUR OMG OMG" when you point out how stat mechanics work. In the long run it's probably better that the mechanics stay under the hood for people who really want to know how they work and everyone else can enjoy the game without feeling that they absolutely have to breed 31/31/31/31/31/31 Pokemon to not get destroyed by Cynthia.
It's next to impossible to actively breed for 31/31/31/31/31/31 stats, since even if you've got parents that are 31/31/31/x/x/x and x/x/x/31/31/31 (or whatever combination), you've only got a 1/32,000 chance of a child coming up with a 31/31/31 on the three randomised stats.

Even using an everstone to get the right nature, you cut the chances of getting a perfect monster by half again, if that's what you're looking for.

I don't know how people have the patience to breed for the perfect Hidden Power, for instance, outside of a simulator.

Chozo

It's next to impossible to actively breed for 31/31/31/31/31/31 stats, since even if you've got parents that are 31/31/31/x/x/x and x/x/x/31/31/31 (or whatever combination), you've only got a 1/32,000 chance of a child coming up with a 31/31/31 on the three randomised stats.

Even using an everstone to get the right nature, you cut the chances of getting a perfect monster by half again, if that's what you're looking for.

I know, I was being facetious =P

I don't know how people have the patience to breed for the perfect Hidden Power, for instance, outside of a simulator.

Probably because you'll usually only have one Hidden Power user (if that) on a team, and since Ice (generally the most common HP type) is 31 Spa/Spd/Speed it's relatively easy to get without having to keep breeding stock around for those 30 IVs. It's getting it on legendaries that it becomes hair-pulling infuriating, although fortunately those are rare cases.

But yeah, I use fast egg hatch codes nowadays for a reason.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Chozo said:
If you don't play competitively, why the fuck do you even care what people do in the meta? I don't like the competitive Smash community, but since I have no intention of ever playing them they can do whatever the Hell they want and it has no bearing on my own enjoyment. One would think this would be doubly the case in Pokemon (which, unlike Smash, has a far more fleshed out and significant single-player experience) but I guess not.

The online community here might be filled with nice and helpful meta/pro players, but my local scene is filled with childish dicks who look down, mock and hate on "normal" Pokemon players and don't want to help anyone. I got out of that scene when Ruby/Sapphire came out because the new breed of these pro players were these people.

I can't enjoy Pokemon in that way, because of these players. That's why. Some of those people are on those Smogon boards you keep linking too as well. It's a vast minority ruining it, but the one close to me.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, don't want to derail any further right? PM me if you want to respond.

Firestorm

No need to go all IV/EV crazy during the main game. I didn't care what natures/IVs/EVs I got during Pearl and beat the E4 even while being very underlevelled. It's all about movesets which are much easier to handle!

VOOK said:
The online community here might be filled with nice and helpful meta/pro players, but my local scene is filled with childish dicks who look down, mock and hate on "normal" Pokemon players and don't want to help anyone. I got out of that scene when Ruby/Sapphire came out because the new breed of these pro players were these people.

I can't enjoy Pokemon in that way, because of these players. That's why. Some of those people are on those Smogon boards you keep linking too as well. It's a vast minority ruining it, but the one close to me.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, don't want to derail any further right? PM me if you want to respond.
Then again, stop posting like that here. You have been absolutely horrible at representing your viewpoints and have come off as the attacker in every case. As far as this board could see, you are those players that you hate so much. I can't believe you're surprised people are reacting in this way to you.

BooJoh

I was giving the idea of DSi-only features some thought, and came up with a few things I think would be cool, but not crippling to Lite/Phat players. Sorry if any of these have been suggested already, I can't really keep up with the fast pace of the topic.

-Use the camera to take a photo for your trainer card.
-When listening to the Pokegear radio, one station could play random songs you have on your SD card.
-Extra boxes for mass Pokemon storage saved to the SD card.
-The ability to save your trainer card, hall of fame results, individual pokemon info, dress-up pictures, etc to your DSi as DSi camera pictures that you can transfer to your computer (Brain Age Express has a similar feature already.)
-Use the camera to take background pictures for dress-up, or for your PC boxes.
-Use the camera to read QR Codes to get bonus items, pokemon, box wallpapers, etc. from Nintendo's websites or promotional locations.

I'm sure I could come up with more ideas given more time, but this just touches on the surface of some of the enhancements DSi could bring to Pokemon if they wanted to use it as a vehicle to promote the system.

Jiggy said:

And understandably so.
Yeah, I like that they don't push that on the player. I actually really like how many options they give you for the ways you want to play the game. I only know the lil basics about EVs and what not . . . but I use my time in the game to shiny hunt. Only have a hand full of them but now that I have Wi Fi I have been trading to get pokemon for breeding a shiny of their kind.

Im trying to get a foreign Charmander/ Torchic over the Serebii forums but they take soo long and that forum is always going down . . . only had one successful trade and that was with someone who wanted my shiny Delcatty for their Milotic and Feebas.

(That was a clear plug in for "Hey, anyone want to trade me a Charmander/ Torchic?". Someone please take the hint . . . the Wi Fi timeing is soo hard with Serebii's forum's pm system )

Black-Wind said:
Yeah, I like that they don't push that on the player. I actually really like how many options they give you for the ways you want to play the game. I only know the lil basics about EVs and what not . . . but I use my time in the game to shiny hunt. Only have a hand full of them but now that I have Wi Fi I have been trading to get pokemon for breeding a shiny of their kind.

Im trying to get a foreign Charmander/ Torchic over the Serebii forums but they take soo long and that forum is always going down . . . only had one successful trade and that was with someone who wanted my shiny Delcatty for their Milotic and Feebas.

(That was a clear plug in for "Hey, anyone want to trade me a Charmander/ Torchic?". Someone please take the hint . . . the Wi Fi timeing is soo hard with Serebii's forum's pm system )
I'd like to help, but I sold all my pokemon games when it became clear I'd never catch them all. When I get Soul Silver, it'll be about making the best of what I can reasonably get and training up a good team.

Firestorm

Eteric Rice said:
Does breeding actually help "that" much in competitive games?
Breeding is the only way to get certain moves, by far the easiest way to get the correct nature along with decent IVs, and also the easiest way to get good IVs. If you want to save yourself a lot of work, don't worry about IVs but worry about the rest. IVs are really the worst part of Pokemon breeding. Natures, moves, EVs are way easier.

Eteric Rice said:
Does breeding actually help "that" much in competitive games?
Do you want a Drill Pecking Skarmory or a Pain Splitting Dusclops? If so, I'm sorry, but you'll need to at least do a bit of breeding.

IVs really only matter if you're planning on playing in tournaments.

EDIT: It's also easier to get certain natures through breeding (once you've done the prep work with some everstones and a whole bunch of dittos, of course) and bred pokemon tend towards higher IVs than wild-caught ones anyway (though this may just be a superstition with no basis in-game).

Eteric Rice

Firestorm said:
Breeding is the only way to get certain moves, by far the easiest way to get the correct nature along with decent IVs, and also the easiest way to get good IVs. If you want to save yourself a lot of work, don't worry about IVs but worry about the rest. IVs are really the worst part of Pokemon breeding. Natures, moves, EVs are way easier.

Really wish I knew what I was looking for, though. Like the optimal nature for specific Pokemon.

FSLink

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Really wish I knew what I was looking for, though. Like the optimal nature for specific Pokemon.
Depends on the moveset as well as the Pokemon at times. I say if you're really interested in this stuff, check out Smogon and such for example movesets, and you can see why they choose the natures they do.

I'd like to help, but I sold all my pokemon games when it became clear I'd never catch them all. When I get Soul Silver, it'll be about making the best of what I can reasonably get and training up a good team.
>_>

. . . Damn, my plug isn't going to work on anyone. Im gonna get a fucking Charmander one day!

Eteric Rice said:
Don't worry about that so much as deciding your team and movesets/strategy. Everything else, like optimal natures to play to your strategy, will fall into place after you've taken care of that (for instance, you might want a Sp Attack boost but have nothing in your moveset that's based on Attack, so you'd go for a Modest nature).

Firestorm

Eteric Rice said:
A great way to start off is to just look at what Pokemon you like and then read their analyses on Smogon: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

All of them have something written up on them including what type of role they can play on your team and what the optimal nature for that role is.

Natures boost one stat by 10% while decrease another by 10%. List is here:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/natures/

Top Bottom