• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y review thread: Gotta read em all!

I think its really sad that people were making jokes that gamespot will just give it an 8 and call it a day, and they did just that. lol

roknin

To be honest, if I want challenge in a pokemon game, I'd go with one of the self-restricting runs like Nuzlocke, mono-type etc. etc.

Not saying I wouldn't mind an in-game option to make the game harder a la Challenge Mode, but this is a series that has always been on the easy side, hence why people took it upon themselves to make it harder.

Pretty much this. I've wiped out before, sure, but usually going and level grinding cures that. It's kind of a symptom of the genre, really (and one I don't necessarily mind). The monotype-bug run I'm doing in Emerald right now is the first time in a long tine I've felt extremely challenged in the series since the original RBY, which was really only due to lack of experience at the time.

Post-game and battling others is usually where the true challenge is at.

Though I wonder if they still have Audino floating around at high levels to give out ridic amounts of XP. Makes grinding in gen V really easy at times lol.

Kyzon

Different reviewers.

Also Audrey Drake was a known shill. She was not to be trusted, as evidence of her jumping ship from IGN to work for Nintendo.

I'd jump ship from pretty much anywhere to work in the Treehouse. There's probably 2% of the entire Nintendo company that's even allowed into the Treehouse offices.

Raziel

I think its really sad that people were making jokes that gamespot will just give it an 8 and call it a day, and they did just that. lol

Yeah, that was a really difficult call to make, considering Pokemon has historically hovered between 8 and 9, and Gamespot only gives out whole numbers, and that it was realistically only a 50/50 outcome between the two. I was floored.

Vire

Her auditions at ign were pretty great, she deserved the job.

Haha, this is the best post I've read all day.

I'd jump ship from pretty much anywhere to work in the Treehouse. There's probably 2% of the entire Nintendo company that's even allowed into the Treehouse offices.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same, but she notoriously rated every Nintendo game much higher than the Metacritic average. And you lose credibility when you jump ship to the company you were previously reviewing games "objectively" for.

Dmax3901

So I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold, but I have recently bought a 3DS. What's the difference between X and Y? Is it minimal? If it is, how do they still get away with doing two versions? :p

Roto13

It seems like there's always someone who thinks you're supposed to buy both versions of a Pokemon game.

There are two versions so you'll have a reason to trade Pokemon with other players. The same reason there have been two versions since 1995.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It seems like there's always someone who thinks you're supposed to buy both versions of a Pokemon game.

There are two versions so you'll have a reason to trade Pokemon with other players. The same reason there have been two versions since 1995.

Exactly.

Hell, there's even less reasons to buy another version since Gen IV due to online trading.

Varna

I'm late to the discussion on difficulty, but it's a bummer that the difficulty seems toned down. I've only played Red, Silver and the DS remake of Silver and unlike other entry level JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Pokemon always got the difficulty just right. Not just for combat, but in resources. Especially once you hit that one big city and there is so much to buy. Some hard decisions with money.

EDIT: Though it does seem like most of the issues come from EXP share. It's nice that you can just turn it off.

I'm late to the discussion on difficulty, but it's a bummer that the difficulty seems toned down. I've only played Red, Silver and the DS remake of Silver and unlike other entry level JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Pokemon always got the difficulty just right. Not just for combat, but in resources. Especially once you hit that one big city and there is so much to buy. Some hard decisions with money.

EDIT: Though it does seem like most of the issues come from EXP share. It's nice that you can just turn it off.

Nuzlocke time! And yeah I won't be using EXP share.

So these hints of R/S/E remake (s?) are pretty exciting. Hoenn was one of my favorite regions to explore, with freaking awesome music. (Though that might partially be my nostalgia speaking.

If the reviews for X/Y are any indication, a Z or Emerald 2.0 in the spirit of B2/W2 could possibly be the best Pokémon game ever! (Except that Xenoblade styled open-world game I keep wishing for.)

Robin64

I'm late to the discussion on difficulty, but it's a bummer that the difficulty seems toned down.

Time ≠ Difficulty, though.

It's just a quality of life improvement.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Watching someone do a playthrough and holy shit, the reviews really missed a lot of stuff.

I love playing games in 3D so I'm going to have to pass on this poem on. The first time I'm done that for a mainline version. Hopefully the Z version is all in 3D and then I'll definitely jump in

Anilusion

How early in the game do you unlock trading? A friend and I are planning to trade each other so that we both have all 3 starters.

True, but another question:

I'm going to be getting Y in digital form. If down the road I decide to also get X in digital form, will I be able to use the Pokemon Bank to transfer Pokemon between the two? I read somewhere that two digital copies won't be able to "communicate" with each other on the same system, but I was assuming that was referring to a direct way to communicate/trade in the traditional sense.

DaBoss

True, but another question:

I'm going to be getting Y in digital form. If down the road I decide to also get X in digital form, will I be able to use the Pokemon Bank to transfer Pokemon between the two? I read somewhere that two digital copies won't be able to "communicate" with each other on the same system, but I was assuming that was referring to a direct way to communicate/trade in the traditional sense.

Yes, but you can't trade items between the two since Pokemon Bank doesn't allow you to trade hold items.

Top Bottom