• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polanski’s victim pleads to end case: ‘He owes me nothing

Striek

Feel sorry for her, but you can't commit a heinous crime, escape custody and then be let off because you fled justice long enough.

I never looked into what he did...

He was 43 she was 13.

rape by use of drugs
perversion
sodomy
lewd and lascivious act upon a child under fourteen
furnishing a controlled substance to a minor

Jesus Christ.

Machina

Banned

He was 43 she was 13.

rape by use of drugs
perversion
sodomy

Jesus Christ.

This shit happened every day in Hollywood in the '70s, and god knows how much since. Such is the license that being apart of the "nobility" will give you to do what you like.

I feel awful for her. It wasn't enough that she was raped as a child but has constantly had to be reminded of it ever since. Not to mention the victim blaming that has occurred in that time even going as far to blame her mother instead of Polanski.

If anybody wants to see more info on the case check out the documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired. It goes into detail about the crime as well as the shitshow that was the trial. Warning though, there are people interviewed that go the victim blaming route and they're infuriating.

EGM1966

In principle I feel you can't just cancel a case where the defendant is at large.

That said I also feel the law has to be able to react better to individual circumstances and make decisions by exception accordingly.

Thus given he's clearly never going to trial and it's obvious the case will never be closed until he dies while in the meantime the victim is continuing to be punished for being the victim I find myself agreeing with her.

Nothing is served beyond upholding a point of principle by keeping the case active and I don't see how closing the case erodes the law in actuality and if it allows her to better get on with her life then that's an actual positive outcome.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, she deserves to get on with her life, in whatever way she could possibly can.

Fuck Polanski, he deserves to rot, but that's never going to happen.

legend166

I feel awful for her. It wasn't enough that she was raped as a child but has constantly had to be reminded of it ever since. Not to mention the victim blaming that has occurred in that time even going as far to blame her mother instead of Polanski.

If anybody wants to see more info on the case check out the documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired. It goes into detail about the crime as well as the shitshow that was the trial. Warning though, there are people interviewed that go the victim blaming route and they're infuriating.

From what I understand, that documentary was made by people sympathetic to Polanski so it has some pretty heavy biases.

The world is an awful place. That raping piece of human filth lives the good life and is respected by the movie industry while the victim has to give up on ever seeing him pay for his actions.

And that list of people who signed the petition... I don't know how they can live with themselves.

He was 43 she was 13.

rape by use of drugs
perversion
sodomy

Jesus Christ.

Yep, about as bad as it gets. And in Jack Nicholson's house, no less (he was away at the time).

Saddest thing is, this is absolutely still happening in Hollywood right now. Some parents are even okay with turning a blind eye to it, in the name of fame and fortune. If only a former child actor was brave enough to come forward, but most of them still feel they have too much to lose for it to be worthwhile.

KdGqQY.gif

Polanski will never face justice for his crimes. Hollywood protects its own no matter how despicable they are.

jelly

I totally understand wanting closure but that's his fault for not going back to the US and the media, Hollywood establishment making it worse for her. She should move on best she can and just let him die on the run, he deserves more but letting him off the hook is not the right thing to do.

No doubt this shit still goes on in Hollywood and many celebrities, producers etc. have been sickos like him.

slit

Yeah, she deserves to get on with her life, in whatever way she could possibly can.

Fuck Polanski, he deserves to rot, but that's never going to happen.

While that's probably true that still should not get him off the hook. The fact that he can't come to the U.S. and be treated like royalty in Hollywood burns his ass. That may be the best we are going to get.

I don't know much about this case, just the OP and 'pop culture'/referencing.

This makes sense. After 40 years, the Justice System has officially failed, the victim of the crime has personally come to terms with the abuse and accepted the circumstances of the case and yet she has to reap all the repercussions of the crime. Its not the act that is haunting her, its the aftereffects that haunt her.

I'm not sure that the main people who have harassed her are Polanski defenders.

IIRC she said years ago that as awful as what Roman Polanski did to her was, her treatment and frequent harassment from the media has been worse.

Fuck Roman Polanski.

While that's probably true that still should not get him off the hook. The fact that he can't come to the U.S. and be treated like royalty in Hollywood burns his ass. That may be the best we are going to get.

He is still treated like royalty in France.

RoyalFool

Banned
He is still treated like royalty in France.

But he's taxed an absolute fortune over there isn't he?

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, it sucks the victim has this cloud hanging over her and I can understand why she would rather just have the whole thing forgotten about at this point, even if that means the case being dropped.

No good can come from it now, but despite this, the message still has that you can't run from the law.

I still remember when they faked an entire awards ceremony to try and trick him out of the country, only for whatever-country he traveled via to refuse to hand him over.

Everyone is screaming for justice but they never think of the victim, I'm sure this person just wants to move the fuck on and isn't interested in being dragged through another media circus for the entertainment of the public

The reason to imprison a rapist is also to prevent more people from being raped by the perpetrator.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
What other Hollywood people did this?

There's people like actor and convicted sex offender Brian Peck who works on Nickelodeon shows. Peck has ties to X-Men director Bryan Singer who is long rumored to have an interest in adolescents.

There's a documentary that covers some of it called An Open Secret, but it's never had a home release.

JoeBoy101

Its despicable what the media and others have done to her and they should be taken to task.

But let's not forget that Polanski plead guilty and fled the country before sentencing, never to return for remediation or to face that sentencing. That should never be forgiven or let go. His wealth and fame buying him that indefinite stay just makes it worse, along with the Hollywood luminaries applauding him.

legend166 said:
If Polanski had not fled from justice in the first place and instead stayed, this would have ended decades ago for her. He's the primary reason this has dragged on for her.

In short.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
IIRC she said years ago that as awful as what Roman Polanski did to her was, her treatment and frequent harassment from the media has been worse.

Fuck Roman Polanski.
I think she means harassment by both Polanski supporters and those against him.

Top Bottom