• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Evict Dakota Pipeline Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Police Evict Dakota Pipeline Protesters

ap_16301700143562-2dc97a7d35b7f2f54d8fbc8d8e11d7bf6332ef36-s800-c85.jpg

Police have removed protesters from land owned by pipeline company Energy Transfer Partners in North Dakota.

The county sheriff says several people were arrested. News reports say officers used pepper spray against protesters but no serious injuries were reported.

Beginning at 11:15 am MT, officers moved toward a group of people camping out near highway 1806 near the town of Cannon Ball, N.D. According to the Associated Press, some of the officers were in riot gear, some were armed and they arrived with soldiers driving trucks and military Humvees. They also deployed helicopters and an airplane that monitored them from above.

The Federal Aviation Administration began restricting flights over the area on Tuesday afternoon, and will continue to do so until Nov. 5, according to the FAA website, which cites "hazards" in the area.

The police operation came the day after the Morton County Sheriff's Department asked protesters to leave the land, which is in the path of the Dakota Access Pipeline under construction.

An image posted on Facebook by the sheriff's office showed a line of law enforcement officers with Humvees and a group of people with tents on a bridge.

14721731_345345895817755_8730513260914663905_n.jpg

Members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and their supporters have been protesting the pipeline since it was approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers over the summer. They are specifically trying to block the portion that is slated to run under the Missouri River near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation.

The tribe opposes the pipeline because they say the route crosses sacred sites and burial places, and they are concerned that if the pipeline ruptures, an oil spill could pollute drinking water, as The Two-Way has reported.

commedieu

Banned
Our police state is such a fucking joke. Considering that all those white people just got off for terrorizing federal property.

Disgusting, and even more so that this won't even get a few pages. But Obama is so cool and lol at Hillary's tweets.

subrock

Fucking scum. Pretty gross that the police are being used to serve corporate interests instead of the people

NateDrake

We no longer need to invade foreign countries for oil. We can just send police and military forces to remove domestic opposition. They have every right to protest this and they shouldn't be forced to accept a pipeline on their sacred land. I hope we see more people protest this pipeline and stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe in their fight.

And yet, several dozen white people can hold a federal building as illegal occupants for 3 months and get off with no legal repercussions at all.

squidyj

so from the article they were moved off the private property but still protested on the federally owned land?

ibyea

Banned
The juxtaposition between this and the acquittal of the far right armed militants is one of the most incredibly frustrating news.

USC-fan

Banned
so from the article they were moved off the private property but still protested on the federally owned land?

Seems that they have removed the protesters from the land own by the pipe line company where they are working.

I dont think the problem is protesting its people that are trying to stop the workers from working on private property.

Really haven't seen much covered on this.

Fucking scum. Pretty gross that the police are being used to serve corporate interests instead of the people

And yet people will continue to blindly praise them despite their clearly being used as tools to silence the disenfranchised. America gives zero shits

The juxtaposition between this and the acquittal of the far right armed militants is one of the most incredibly frustrating news.

America's hardcoded adherence to white supremacy & the punishment for the marginalized in action

Cronox

Banned
And yet, several dozen white people can hold a federal building as illegal occupants for 3 months and get off with no legal repercussions at all.

I don't think it's really about race here, more so that there's a lot of money involved. I'd be willing to speculate that the police are under a lot of pressure to do something.

I don't think it's really about race here, more so that there's a lot of money involved. I'd be willing to speculate that the police are under a lot of pressure to do something.

Are they evicting and detaining them because they are natives? Maybe, maybe not.

Would they be evicted/detained if they were white? No.

America proves itself daily to defend and protect the rich and wealthy. Even moreso if that happens to intersect with whiteness.

Don't get mad at me, I just speak what I see.

Ponn

Banned
I'm surprised this isn't bigger news from what I can gather from the US media

But we need to know what Trump is ranting and making up for the 100th time again. Plus my conspiracy sense is going off saying people with vested interests don't want this in the media.

Are they evicting and detaining them because they are natives? Maybe, maybe not.

On private land? I'm confident they would be. That doesn't make the system any less racist.

I also kinda feel like you wouldn't find many whites who would put themselves in this sort of situation. Unless they were the type who like to be close to counterculture stuff in some misguided persuit of cultural absolution.

Lime

Incredible that this thread is so inactive.

Why do you think it should be a bigger news story?

It's a clear case of the government siding *violently* with companies at the expense of the environment and the rights of minorities.

kirblar

Incredible that this thread is so inactive.
The police are evicting people from private property. The other issues w/ the press and such have gotten attention, this does not, because this is what's supposed to happen. (regardless of how you feel about the situation)

Sunster

Native Americans were given extremely small patches of land to live on and be left alone and still the government can't manage to leave them the fuck alone. Astounding.

NH Apache

Banned
So as I understand it, this land was originally part of the treaty from the 1800s with the tribe. Over time, the treaty was violated and the property was sold and that is how it is part of the company. This is what I garnered from the NPR segment a couple days ago.

It sucks. The feds should step in and honor the treaty.

Our police state is such a fucking joke. Considering that all those white people just got off for terrorizing federal property.

The white people did get detained with heavy police action and one was killed.

They got off in their trial by the jurors. The state threw the book at them.

I'm surprised this isn't bigger news from what I can gather from the US media

TBH is it the biggest news in the world or the US?

I mean its another case of environmental discrimination and its clearly unjust. But things like the ACA rate hikes, Syria, Mosul and the presidential race are bigger news.

justjohn

And yet if this happened in China or some other country, youd see the American govt urging that country to respect human rights or some other hypocritical bullshit.

Media

Why do you think it should be a bigger news story?

Bro, I'm native. This entire protest is fucking huge, with over 300 tribes from across the nation gathered at Standing Rock. No one gives a shit because we're native. Reporters have been arrested, people have been attacked by dogs and denied counsel and arrested for no reason, police have been hurting natives, but again, no one gives a shit because it's the middle of nowhere and we are native.

This is bigger than Ferguson and everything. National news turns a blind eye.

For Christ's sake they have a no fly zone over unarmed protestors. Why?

Also, the land according to a treaty actually belongs to the natives, but no one gives a shit about the treaties either.

SilentRob

The white people did get detained with heavy police action and one was killed.

They got off in their trial by the jurors. The state threw the book at them.

Defense Force for everything strikes again. If the state would have wanted proven terrorists to go to jail, they would have gone to jail.

Why is this good?
Because they were stalling a pipeline for no good reason.

The Bakken supplies about ten percent of the oil in this country and we currently truck or freight it down to Illinois, which is wasteful. The pipeline was being built to make that more efficient.
Would speak against your boss if he lined your pockets with money?
Most people won't.
The oil companies do not personally send a check to Obama.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
The county sheriff says several people were arrested. News reports say officers used pepper spray against protesters but no serious injuries were reported.

"reported"

I'm hearing today one of their mercenaries shot a tear gas grenade and blew up on some guys neck, and it was pretty bad.

The police are evicting people from private property. The other issues w/ the press and such have gotten attention, this does not, because this is what's supposed to happen. (regardless of how you feel about the situation)

Uh, no. Actually the land is owned by farmers, which were offered buy-outs from the government. They refused and in response the state took their land citing eminent domain.

Defense Force for everything strikes again. If the state would have wanted proven terrorists to go to jail, they would have gone to jail.

Defense force?

And that's quite silly as numerous people the state as wanted to go to jail don't. I just think its absurd to say the state didn't want them in jail and was letting them off. The jury did. I mean the state has prosicuted numerous people and juries and police/white sympathies seem to be the hold up and issue why different people get different justice.

But the simple matter is both occupations were forcibly evicted.

Those people in Oregon were detained and one was killed.

It's a clear case of the government siding *violently* with companies at the expense of the environment and the rights of minorities.
How else are you supposed to enforce the law with noncooperators without violence? I do not have the right to protest in your yard.

Native Americans were given extremely small patches of land to live on and be left alone and still the government can't manage to leave them the fuck alone. Astounding.
They're violating the law.

USC-fan

Banned
Bro, I'm native. This entire protest is fucking huge, with over 300 tribes from across the nation gathered at Standing Rock. No one gives a shit because we're native. Reporters have been arrested, people have been attacked by dogs and denied counsel and arrested for no reason, police have been hurting natives, but again, no one gives a shit because it's the middle of nowhere and we are native.

Also, the land according to a treaty actually belongs to the natives, but no one gives a shit about the treaties either.

Have you watch video on these protesters? That is why people dont care about it. it one thing to protest. It another to try and shut them down.

standing rock could have met with people like everyone else when this was planned. They choose not too unlike the other groups.

The whole issue is oil leaks from the pipe line. This is silly because a pipe line is so much safer than using trains. OiL getting transported on trains and its not safe. They are pretty much bomb going through major cities. Also, the train system up there was never designed from this much traffic and driving prices up for the farmers.

There is a logical reason for a pipeline. That is why people dont care about people trying to shut it down. Its not protesting at that point. There are video of all this on youtube. Protester were attacking the worker, that is why they got bite by dogs. They went out there to shut it down.

They have a no fly zone because people were flying drones to attack the helicopers. They had to shoot the drones down.

Sunster

Those people in Oregon were detained and one was killed.

How else are you supposed to enforce the law with noncooperators without violence? I do not have the right to protect in your yard.

They're violating the law.

I mean the whole pipeline situation not this specifically

Ya, this seems just bizarre to me.

I hope the feds step in and fix this shit.

lol you righties talking about private land and shit,

the land treaties were violated hundreds of time

google US treaties and notice 90% are all abouy land claims vs Native tribes,

leakey

Leadership taking the kind of stance that would allow this country to slip down the fucking drain. People with power will say nothing for fear of possible harm to immediate profits. Leadership not looking at the big picture, or how this will affect everyone in the long term, let alone the natives that are protesting. Total disregard for anything but another dollar in the pockets of protected interests.
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom