• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: The 112th U.S. Congress is now in session: Want some graphs with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
soul creator said:
am I only one that sees a million chickenhawk meme captions whenever I hear "liberals/democrats always gang up on conservatives/Republicans!"

"party of personal responsibility/demand special treatment"
"complain about how there's too much political correctness in country/hey, these Republican jokes are too harsh and make me not want to post! "
"say conservatives can be reasonable too/defend michelle bachmann's ideas"
"complain about there being too much liberal one-sided media/watch fox news"
"say conservative ideas should be taken more seriously/ignore 30+ years of American politics"

on a more serious note, I would wager that the reason this specific thread is "mostly liberal" is because the right in this country is, well, completely loony. Of course, various individuals will say "that's not fair, I'm not like those Republicans, why are you lumping me in and generalizing!" But since this thread obviously tends to deal more with the actual existing elected representatives and events, and not some idealized, theoretical elected representatives, it comes off as "overly liberal". Something something reality something something liberal bias

As someone mentioned, on an individual issue you'll get more nuanced debate. And a self-identified "liberal" may be more "conservative" when it comes to that issue. And a liberal and conservative may even coincide on a particular issue (routinely occurs with foreign policy discussions). But when it comes to the current American system of government, there is often no real "debate" to be had, and I don't think there should be a push to legitimize that version of the right-wing just for the sake of being "fair". When it comes to American government, it often seems like the only real substantive debate seems to be between "the left" and "the far left".

And there's nothing wrong with a circle jerk, if the circle jerk is with people who think 2 + 2 = 4, and the people who think 2 + 2 = 238 are the ones complaining about it...

for what it's worth, this is how I tend to feel about a lot of religious discussions as well
So we're supposed to come here for serious discussions with people like this?
A good example of why conservatives stay out of this thread.

eznark

Banned
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
So we're supposed to come here for serious discussions with people like this?
A good example of why conservatives stay out of this thread.
I sometimes wonder if people like soul creator and puddles actually go through life thinking that their opinion concerning a complex and generally objective issue depending on your values really is as iron clad correct as simple math. What a bizarrely close minded way to live.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I will promise to participate in the new thread when it eventually gets posted and will back up my claims with facts. We don't need rules, moderation, and the ilk. This is a super-thread, damnit. There is no need for excessive guidance. The individualized, compartmentalized ideas and positions that merit an individual thread can have one, keep your liberal, commie hands off of my political snarkfest. I enjoy that These threads are 90% liberal/5% conservative/5% batshit insane. That is GAF!

You guys are killing the soul of GAF. The idea that someone can own an inevitable thread and there needs be discussion on what an OPthat means nothing will be makes me laugh and shake my head. The OP isn't content. If it isn't content, then who the he'll cares who starts it, what th name is, and what pictures by a very liberal poster are captioned. GET ON WITH THE POLITICAL HOOLABALOO!

Opiate

Locking this thread. Proceed to the new one as soon as Rusty/Panther/Cartoon figure out who gets the final honors. We'll be having this contest again, by the way, but with some updates and tweaks 6 month from now or whenever this new thread run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom