• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 5m5 minutes ago
Dem pollster #2: "margin 2-6 pts. big #s were immediate responses to big events. this is mostly Rs moving to undecided, and back to Trump"

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 9m9 minutes ago
GOP pollster #2: as since March, Trump in 38%-42% range, Clinton 44%-48%. currently Trump in middle, Clinton in upper half. margin 6-7 pts

its a good joke

I also remember the sales-age graph it comes from, years ago lol

i feel old

edit- post the original if you have it lol

Bless you. I actually spent a good deal of time trying to track down the first place the image was used, but failed.

l3kYm.gif

All politified

INLmhfY.png

A lot of the time when I've criticized Clinton I get called a mysogynist. Any time you say something like "hey guys......this new stuff released today is legit fucked up but trump is so awful that it doesn't matter" you'll get run into the ground.

I have tried to look as clear-eyed as possible at everything that has dropped about Hillary. And I obviously have my preferences, so who knows. But given my honest effort, it really just seems like every "scandal" or issue or leak that has come out has--at worst--annoyed me.. barely. And the vast majority just seems like nothing at all. I just have never seen anything that has truly appalled me. I don't know. Do I think there are some idiots deep in the Clinton circle? Yes. Do I think they have probably thrown favors around in technically legal manners? Yes. It just seems to me like nothing you wouldn't find in most other lifelong politicians, if you were hellbent on ripping them apart and sifting through their garbage.

So I think there's something "special" about Clinton that sets people off. And considering how the biggest knock against her is how career-politician she is, there seems to be only one thing that obviously sets her apart.

This election I did vote for one Republican for Sheriff.

The Democrat running is not only running with the slogan "God First" but also was fired from the very same department he is running for around 8 years ago.

Were I able to vote, I would be voting for a Republican for Sheriff, and a Republican for State Rep. Both people I've worked with extensively and I know to be good people.

Our Sheriff has a very progressive and modern take on corrections, with a focus on rehabilitation into the community, and extensive educational and vocational opportunities while people are here. It couldn't be further from 'Sheriff Joe'. Heck, our correctional facility is considered one of the best in the country.

The guy running against him is a maniac, who wants all our correctional officers to cross train with the LA sheriff's department. We don't do law enforcement. We're a sparsely populated, tourism centered area. It makes no fucking sense.

He also claimed that all our administrative staff weren't qualified because they don't have law enforcement degrees. Like the head of our HR department or our IT department need fucking law enforcement degrees.

I don't think he's in with a chance though. The only thing he has going for him is the D next to his name, and our county leans republican.

Blader

There is little evidence of shy Trump supporters and actually more evidence of shy Clinton voters (e.g. Republican men who are voting for Trump but whose wives are actually voting for Hillary).

Take this community for example... it's actually a perfect example. Look at posts by people like Pigeon and Amirox. You're automatically called a white supremacist, supporter of white nationalism, racist, bigoted, xenophobic, mysogynist, etc. There's no ambiguity at all in those posts either...no nuance, you're 100% legit labeled those things. In real life it's not nearly as bad b/c people arent behind a computer monitor (calling someone a white supremacist in person would have repercussions and lead to conflict obviously) but it's still difficult to come out in public and admit it as a young person (or PoC).

Well, Trump is not exactly an ambiguous, nuanced figure.

If you feel embarrassed to admit to supporting Trump in public because you'll be labeled any of these things, maybe you should think through why that may be the case. I can't think of a single major presidential nominee since maybe Nixon or Wallace (not Republican but clearly conservative af) that were labeled as white nationalists or bigots, and by extension, were supported by white nationalists and bigots. So clearly something has changed here to elicit that kind of reaction from people if you were to openly talk about your support for Trump.

That said, the original point about shy Trump voters had to do with polling. You may not tell your friends and co-workers you're voting for Trump, but would you be comfortable telling an anonymous pollster that you'll never see or talk to again and has no ability to meaningfully judge you? You already admit supporting Trump to strangers on GAF, and that's a dialogue you have to carry on more than once. So I'm not convinced that people shy about telling others in public they're voting for Trump are just as shy about telling strangers over the phone, when they have no qualms doing so repeatedly with strangers on the internet.

thanks!

man those wii npd/media create threads used to be INSANE

Yeah, I was there too when that first dropped. That series of projections about PS3 sales or whatever was absurd. I've had good luck for being around when hilarious charts dropped... like the Mario Kart pie chart polygon put out.

Amir0x

Banned
Take this community for example... it's actually a perfect example. Look at posts by people like Pigeon and Amirox. You're automatically called a white supremacist, supporter of white nationalism, racist, bigoted, xenophobic, mysogynist, etc. There's no ambiguity at all in those posts either...no nuance, you're 100% legit labeled those things. In real life it's not nearly as bad b/c people arent behind a computer monitor (calling someone a white supremacist in person would have repercussions and lead to conflict obviously) but it's still difficult to come out in public and admit it as a young person (or PoC).

If you vote for a racist, white supremacist, misogynistic sexual predator, guess what? You get judged on your choices. You are what you eat. Since there is no argument Trump is not those things, the weight is not on me to coddle those that choose to support such abhorrent people.

Wilsongt

I can't believe how active trump actually is. He's doing 3x rallies a day.

Clinton is taking like the rest of the campaign off.

She is prepping herself for her victory party and her liver for the copious amouts of alcohol she will drink. She's been waiting for this for 8 years and she and Bill are gonna get LIT.

Wilsongt

When there are people legit asking and wondering, on this very forum, why women would wait some odd years to come forward about being sexually assaulted, then you know your fucking country is poorly educated on the idea of rape and sexual assault.

I can't believe how active trump actually is. He's doing 3x rallies a day.

Clinton is taking like the rest of the campaign off.
It's the only thing he enjoys. He lives for the rallies.

She is prepping herself for her victory party and her liver for the copious amouts of alcohol she will drink. She's been waiting for this for 8 years and she and Bill are gonna get LIT.

I would love a boozy victory speech.

Wilsongt

McCrory is going to keep fucking that transphobic chicken.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

That appears to be the motto among North Carolina’s social conservatives, who have recycled an infamous anti-transgender ad to try to attack Attorney General Roy Cooper (D), who maintains a consistent but slim lead over incumbent Gov. Pat McCrory (R) in the upcoming gubernatorial election. The NC Values Coalition has partnered with the surprisingly-still-in-existence National Organization for Marriage (NOM) to make a last-minute ad buy before the election.
The ad, originally produced to attack the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (HERO) and then repurposed by a Texas conservative group to attack Target, shows a man entering a a women’s room, inexplicably washing and drying his hands, then waiting in a stall for a little girl to enter so he can follow her into her stall. The script hasn’t changed in the newest incarnation, except that it now falsely claims that it’s “Roy Cooper’s bathroom plan” (instead of HERO or Target’s bathroom policy) that will allow “any man at any time” to enter a women’s bathroom “simply by claiming to be a woman that day.”

Blader

One more point I want to make on the possibility of shy Trump voters not showing up in the polls: Trump never (or rarely) outperformed his polls during the primaries. Even when he won, he usually, if not always, scored a small margin of voters than the polls pegged him at.

GhaleonEB

First day of the expanded early voting yesterday in NC:

NC Dems made up lost ground from last week of poll closures, now running -6.9% behind 2012. Reps actually running +0.3% ahead of 2012

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/791980869191733249

Given the early sites were designed to favor the GOP, that's not surprising.

Guilford's #s of absentee ballots (both in-person & mail-in, but especially in-person) is dramatic in first 7 days vs. yesterday

Cv2wRuVWEAA_FuX.jpg

https://twitter.com/BowTiePolitics/status/791983055502249984

Dems made up a lot of ground in just one day.

witness

Goddamnit Obama I wanted to see you at a rally in Orlando and you come here on Friday during business hours! Hoping Hillary or someone comes here on a weekend or in the evening before Election Day.

Stop it with this "secret trump voter" bullshit. It fails on numerous levels:

- Trump voters are the loudest most obnoxious voters. They don't hide jack shit. Instead they grab 3 foot tall Trump signs.

- we are guaranteed to have a shitload of "shy Clinton voters", most of whom will be married and/or white women who live in a Trump loving household and/or Trump loving neighborhood.

- we are seeing the signs of what I would call a "David Duke 1991" effect. Trump is causing minorites, particularly Latinos, to vote in record numbers.

- Trump has no GOTV, which means he won't even get enough of those "shy Trump voters" to even vote this November.

- If someone is a Shy Trump voter, then that means they are ashamed of their Trump vote, which means they are an unlikely voter this election.

Is there a 2012 version of this graph to compare to?

Pyrokai

Can someone explain to me what a "mandate" is? They talked about it on yesterday's NPR Politics podcast but didn't bother explaining what it was. Dominico even called it the "M word".

I tried researching it but I just don't understand. What is it? Does it happen every election? Is it formal? I literally can't figure anything out.

Mandates are when Republicans win elections. Democrats can't get mandates.

I guess the non-snarky answer is that a mandate shows that voters clearly have a preference and that congress should support it?

Can someone explain to me what a "mandate" is? They talked about it on yesterday's NPR Politics podcast but didn't bother explaining what it was. Dominico even called it the "M word".

I tried researching it but I just don't understand. What is it? Does it happen every election? Is it formal? I literally can't figure anything out.

Basically, after George W Bush won a second term, he proclaimed that his win gave him a "mandate" to push through whatever he wanted.

Unsurprisingly, Republicans will always deny Democratic POTUS's a mandate, even if they win by more points than Bush won by in 2004.

If somehow Democrats take back the House, expect Dems to loudly make clear that the Electorate gave them the right to push a "mandate".

its mostly political fiction.

A "mandate" is when a candidate has a large or overwhelming margin of victory in a presidential election.

in theory, a large victory would mean the minority party is much more likely to compromise with the majority party and the incoming president and cooperate with legislation since that's what "the voters" demanded by large margins.

in practice, the GOP is so dysfunctional mandates don't matter. Gerrymandering protects the house and many senators are in safe states that are unlikely to go democratic. Conservatives are also hemmed into conservative media outlets that only feed them party propaganda, so there's no risk of the media taking them to task for it.

when obama won in 2008 with record breaking turnout, the GOP doubled down on obstruction rather than bend to the will of "the voters."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom