• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

heh

Simon Maloy‏Verified account @SimonMaloy 52m52 minutes ago
More
can anyone identify this mystery no-name Trump campaign staffer (volunteer?) next to Sean Spicer at this RNC Q&A?

C7n_szfXkAEKOWp.jpg

Ogodei

Considering the Supreme Court is an appointment for life, is there really a huge problem with always requiring 60 votes to confirm?

Because then no-one would ever get appointed without a 60-vote supermajority, at least to the SC (lower courts are less contentious, as the numbers on both Garland and Gorsuch reflect). We've crossed that rubicon of sensibility now.

Frankly nuking the filibuster is better, just hold off on it until the Democrats come back.

jtb

Banned
How pro-choice are Collins and Murkowski? Why do they vote for justices that they know are going to overturn Roe v Wade? Plausible deniability?

How pro-choice are Collins and Murkowski? Why do they vote for justices that they know are going to overturn Roe v Wade? Plausible deniability?
I mean even Obama voted for Roberts and Breyer and Ginsburg were both close to unanimous I think. Gorsuch here is special because of the seat being stolen, I don't think he'd have a hard time if this was a normal situation.

This seems Bad for Trump.

C7ndkulV4AA8eXI.jpg
Which is otherwise known as very, very good.

studyguy

Going on the idea that somehow Trump is forcing Ryan to walk this shit out to a vote by force. No idea how, but Ryan got Trump to dance for healthcare reform. Maybe turnabout is fair play in Trump's mind.

"Republicans always fall in line" is an overly simplistic analysis. One of their biggest concerns is getting re-elected. Even if this thing passes the House, you can be sure Senators are seeing just how unpopular it is. Ultimately the GOP fell in line behind Trump once it was clear that he still had a chance to win despite everything. This seems a lot more like Bush's Social Security privatization plan, which fell apart despite Republicans having a far more functional majority because they didn't want to be saddled with something so unpopular.

Fall in line was never really about votes with in congress.

Fall in line is used mostly to talk about elections and specifically voters falling in line to get their guy elected.

Going on the idea that somehow Trump is forcing Ryan to walk this shit out to a vote by force. No idea how, but Ryan got Trump to dance for healthcare reform. Maybe turnabout is fair play in Trump's mind.

It's got to be this. Trump got dragged into this thing, so now Ryan has to share the embarrassment.

Soroc

when did the media stop calling the tea party the tea party, or at least making mention of the former name for people to connect the dots on who they are? I honestly wasn't aware until this week that the Freedom Caucus is just another name for the Tea Party.

PBY

Banned
Reid J. Epstein‏Verified account
@reidepstein

NEW: House GOP's super PAC yanks support from Iowa Rep. David Young after he opposed AHCA

They're gonna fuck over their own to get this through.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How is the reconciliation deadline set?

Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985 is what put the April 15 deadline in.

There are examples of reconcilation bills that have been passed at all times of year though (example), so I don't know how much they care about that deadline or what they lose by not hitting it. I'd guess worse comes to worse it just goes toward the 2019 budget instead of the 2018 one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
@reidepstein

NEW: House GOP's super PAC yanks support from Iowa Rep. David Young after he opposed AHCA

Koch brothers will support him.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Who was the idiot that started saying "repeal and replace" instead of just "repeal"?

McConnell is the first one I remember saying it.

Speaking of which, that guy seems pretty cooped up in his shell while all this is going down. Suprising how little he has to say publically.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
McConnell is the first one I remember saying it.

Speaking of which, that guy seems pretty cooped up in his shell while all this is going down. Suprising how little he has to say publically.

Because as bad a guy as he is, he's not an idiot. He knows this shit isn't gonna work and he doesn't want his name attached to it any more than it has to be.

@reidepstein

Ryan specifically promised he would not use these tactics, which Boehner displayed often. There will be a revolt over shit like this.

Ryan is a terrible Speaker and spent way too much time trying to make people like him. It's skull cracking time and he can't do the job.

What the hell are the GOP going to run on when they don't have hate for Obama to spew every 2 years?

They are causing this themselves because rich people want more money, and they don't want to address the real problems of income inequality, economic and municipal racial discrimination, etc.

Tapper barely made it through that interview with that Moss guy whose son died of a heroin overdose and who previously supported Trump without crying. Poor guy had a pure breakdown on TV (the father, not Tapper).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom