• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Personally think the massive media coverage during the primaries was Trump's biggest advantage. CNN was airing empty podium footage of his rallies live. It was ridiculous and allowed his agenda to permeate and then become "normal".

On his "Obama wiretapppppped me" tweet:

C-vhZz8XYAAibxM.jpg
Why cant they ask him f he understands facts from opinions?

Ogodei

Thanks--I'll see if I can get some time later.

As for your last statement, I think that may be correlation but not necessarily causation.

Gore got beaten by a folksy, more likeable individual. Kerry wasn't really likeable at all. I think it has way more to do with likeability than national standing.

Like I said, I'm only basing it off of anecdotal experiences. In the rural areas I have lived in over the past decade, there's no variability in the racism. There is no real gray area--If they don't like a race, that's it--there's no way they'd vote for any person from that background. I'm sure there's more to it than that, like you detailed in your post.

There's an anecdote from the 2012 election, i forget the source. A reporter was going around in rural Pennsylvania asking people's opinions on the election, and one woman answered the door to talk to him. She wasn't sure how she and her husband were voting, so she asked, and the husband shouted back "we're voting for the n****r!"

Also why folks like the junior senator from South Carolina can win, or how Bobby Jindal could become governor in a place like Louisiana. Folks are fine setting aside bigotry for political realism, although that's not the case with all bigots all of the time.

There's an anecdote from the 2012 election, i forget the source. A reporter was going around in rural Pennsylvania asking people's opinions on the election, and one woman answered the door to talk to him. She wasn't sure how she and her husband were voting, so she asked, and the husband shouted back "we're voting for the n****r!"

Also why folks like the junior senator from South Carolina can win, or how Bobby Jindal could become governor in a place like Louisiana. Folks are fine setting aside bigotry for political realism, although that's not the case with all bigots all of the time.

Case in point: there were more black candidates in the Republican primary than in the Democratic primary.

Checkmate libruls. You're the real racists.

Wag

Did they seriously quote the Boston Globe quoting Trump calling it the "Biggest Tax Cut ever" as if the Boston Globe were the ones saying it?

EDIT: Damn, the video just now died.

I noticed that. I wonder if the campaign pulled the ad after it got picked up on the national news? You'd think they'd want that.

JP_

Banned
I'm not really convinced Sanders actually did do that well in the primary, or that it was even surprising.

He basically did as well as any "not Hillary" candidate would do. We saw this in places like West Virginia, where he won by a lot, but it wasn't really anything other than "he isn't the she-devil butcher of Benghazi"

He was the "generic D" candidate in the primary. He just happened to build a following around it.
bLuyJ5n.jpg

Tall4Life

The mental suffering Trump is causing me with all this bullshit he says week after week is just not ending. He literally never lets up in his idiocy, it's honestly incredible.

Gruco

Banned
The mental suffering Trump is causing me with all this bullshit he says week after week is just not ending. He literally never lets up in his idiocy, it's honestly incredible.

Just ignore it or laugh at it. It's not like it means anything. He's a joke of a president.

A strong case for dementia. It does run in his family.

At this point I don't even say it to be snarky or whatever. He truly has the mind of a child.

The villains in the story here are the people in a position of power who know this and play along, as well as the citizenry upon whom the ultimate power of government lies, who allowed this to happen.

Owzers

Trump ending Michelle's let girls learn program, obama should have never wiretapped trump, ruined their growing friendship.

There is talk about Kennedy retiring from the Supreme Court.

A bit of proper speculation and a bit of GOP fan fiction. I think it's all talk. Kennedy knows he's the deciding vote between a hardcore partisan Supreme Court and a actual functioning court, and he'll likely want to be careful who will replace him. I'm not sure he'd trust Trump to not just put in someone further right than Scalia to replace him.

The CNN article (which I assume is where you saw this) went into that a bit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Speaking of winning:

Scott Wong‏Verified account @scottwongDC

BREAKING: Rep. Billy Long (R-Mo.) tells me he's a NO on new GOP health bill! Brings to 22 the number of NO votes

Wilsongt

Okay. Whatever.

"Moving forward, we will not continue to use the Let Girls Learn brand or maintain a stand-alone program," an email from Peace Corps acting director Sheila Crowley to employees reportedly reads.

The Trump administration gave order to cease the program's operation immediately, according to an internal document obtained by CNN.

Aspects of 'Let Girls Learn' will continue, although the brand name of the program will no longer be used.

The Obamas started the program in 2015. It aimed to increase educational opportunities for young girls in developing countries.

"'Let Girls Learn' provided a platform to showcase Peace Corps' strength in community development, shining a bright light on the work of our Volunteers all over the world," Crowley continued. "We are so proud of what 'Let Girls Learn' accomplished and we have all of you to thank for this success."

what if Trump needs to replace Thomas and wants to do it with a black man to keep that seat representative

so he looks to see who is available

and lo and behold
carsonposing.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ban people from running in multiple Dem primaries. There's step one.

This... might not be a bad idea.

It reduces whynot-runs. People that are running to promote a book, or just for publicity. On the other hand, it may make the primaries more viscous since it's all or nothing.

Have there been any cases of someone losing a primary only to become president in a later election?

I don't think it's puzzling at all. I don't know why voting from a black person gives anyone a get out of racism free card and find the entire concept insanely reductionist.

2008 was not 2012 was not 2016. 2008 was in the middle of a financial crisis and 2012 had a plutocrat on the ticket. Racism is a luxury good. Neither election (2008/2012) had a candidate who spoke to white fears about being left behind. Those fears grew in the years following those elections (in fact, as a direct result of 2012). 2012 gave people reason to worry about an ascendant multicultural coalition. 2014-2016 in particular saw a revitalized black rights movement.

This is one of the most succinct summaries I've seen of this issue.
There is certainly more nuance to the concept of Racism being a luxury good. As I don't think that applies universally to all issues, especially welfare.

kirblar

@mattyglesias

Something that's getting lost is that post-election the NYT deliberately positioned subscription sales as an act of anti-Trump resistance.
This is definitely something that people are missing about why this controversy blew up like it did.
Have there been any cases of someone losing a primary only to become president in a later election?
GOP yes, Dems no, in the modern era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom