• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an insanely stupid adventure.

Also I don't think we'll take the senate but if we can SOMEHOW get 49 seats my guess is that we could stop ACA repeal even if we don't take the House with Murkowski and Collins even IF we got to McCain's "regular order".

Vimes

I'm thankful he is saying this about Graham-Cassidy, but I am getting sick and tired of hearing republicans say the ACA was "rammed through" Congress.

This, fuck John McCain. It's not just that I'm mad that he's smearing the Dem's process with the ACA; it gives cover to fucks like McConnell when they violate the same regular order he claims to treasure so god damned much.

I'm happy he's standing by his warped ass principles, but there's no consistency to them at all. There's a reason I never took his dumb bothsides speech seriously.

Kusagari

As long as McCain sticks to his warped principals we're probably good. I can't see the GOP as a collective ever doing THE REGULAR ORDERRR when it comes to health care.

Jimmy Kimmel‏Verified account @jimmykimmel 5m5 minutes ago

Thank you @SenJohnMcCain for being a hero again and again and now AGAIN

I guess Kimmel also deserves some credit for the public pressure on this bill

Zolo

Also I don't think we'll take the senate but if we can SOMEHOW get 49 seats my guess is that we could stop ACA repeal even if we don't take the House with Murkowski and Collins even IF we got to McCain's "regular order".

Yeah. At least for ACA, we really only need to gain one...maybe two seats outside of Collins and Murkowski.

Still needs to be over 50 to stop Trump from appointing another supreme court justice.

Diablos

"Obamacare rammed through Congress" is so disingenuous... as is acting as though Graham and Cassidy have good intentions behind their bill.

But... I'll take it if it means McCain is sweeping in to save the day again. Good on him. I do have to give props for a Republican sticking up for bipartisan governing.
Honestly he’s trying to lecture the right wing on compromise more than anything on that one. I get it. It was a one and done kind of quote, he didn’t really lean into it like all the other things he said.

Blader

On the flip side, if we can't maintain status quo in the Senate and/or flip the House, we'll absolutely see ACA repeal in 2019.

Ogodei

Yep. No pressure on Rand

Btw we must win the house and/or Senate next year or else the ACA probably will finally be ripped apart

McCain won’t live forever

2019 would be a hard sell if the GOP couldn't get it done in 2017. Unless they make net *gains* in the Senate that give them more leverage, anyway. 2020 is a much harder election to face, and already we see some of the '18 crowd too scared to commit.

Vimes

Honestly he's trying to lecture the right wing on compromise more than anything on that one. I get it. It was a one and done kind of quote, he didn't really lean into it like all the other things he said.

He's been repeating this dumb fabrication that "democrats rammed ACA in the dead of night" all year.

He could be coming off as a Moderate Hero right now and instead I'm pissed off because he's a liar.

The cycle with these failed bills is pretty hilarious. Remember when we had to look reality in the face and acknowledge that this bill was going to pass? Remember when Bernie was going ruin everything with a CNN debate?

daedalius

The cycle with these failed bills is pretty hilarious. Remember when we had to look reality in the face and acknowledge that this bill was going to pass? Remember when Bernie was going ruin everything with a CNN debate?

Are they even going to have this stupid tv debate now?

Please no.

Valhelm

contribute something
Really terrifying to think about Jan Brewer's boy Doug Ducey nominating some Republican to serve for six years after McCain bites it

2016 was close enough in AZ that there's gotta be some chance for a Democrat to beat Flake, right? His approval rating is dismal

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's actually a more measured response from McCain than last time.

Kinda surprised.

Really terrifying to think about Jan Brewer's boy Doug Ducey nominating some Republican to serve for six years after McCain bites it

2016 was close enough in AZ that there's gotta be some chance for a Democrat to beat Flake, right? His approval rating is dismal
McCain's replacement doesn't serve 6 years, he just finishes McCain's term

Are they even going to have this stupid tv debate now?

Please no.

Why not at this point?

Graham: "This bill will finally give the states the flexibility to innovate. Taking healthcare choices out of Washington and putting them back into the hands of state Governors who know their constituents more than the swamp does"

Sanders: "Senator, we know this is a partisan exercise to pass some form of health legislation before the September 30th deadline. Even your close friend John McCain won't be voting for this bill because of the damage it would do to millions of Americans."

Moderator:
giphy-downsized-large.gif

*roll credits*

McCain's replacement doesn't serve 6 years, he just finishes McCain's term

Senate appointments typically only serve till the next statewide general election.(Depends on state but none allow for a full term)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I won't vote for single payer because the tax mechanism on page 196 is unrealistic

FUCKING BERNIE spiking the ball for no ducking reason Jesus Christ Bernie

zchen

McCain killing the repeal both times kind of reminds me of the end of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington when Jimmy Stewart's filibuster was failing because he got exhausted, and only ended up victorious on appropriations bill because Senator Paine found his conscience. In both situations it really came down on the guy on the other side to come around...

2019 would be a hard sell if the GOP couldn't get it done in 2017. Unless they make net *gains* in the Senate that give them more leverage, anyway. 2020 is a much harder election to face, and already we see some of the '18 crowd too scared to commit.

Decent chance they will make gains, given the number of seats Ds will be defending versus those for the Rs.

On the flip side, if we can't maintain status quo in the Senate and/or flip the House, we'll absolutely see ACA repeal in 2019.
Yes

So people need to get off the "2018 isn't winnable" train. We fuckin better win big or else we will be fucked. Holding or even gaining seats in some areas given everything that has happened will be taken as a mandate and they will feel invincible because of it. It will be an absolute disaster if we don't make them pay significantly for what they have been attempting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom