• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn that Virginia poll. Of course, Virginia had some close calls recently that polling showed we had in the bag.

Can’t wait to see you ninnies crying doomsday when initial results have Gillespie winning, until NoVa comes in and puts Northam up 10 points.

zelas

There’s a lack of intensity right now,” said Mark Rozell, dean of the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University, which co-sponsored the survey. “Many fewer people than typically at this stage are paying close attention, and the candidates at this point have really not excited the electorate. . . . A lot can change in the next month.

Why do people have to be excited to do the right thing? Man I hate democracy sometimes.

Bob Iger stepping down as CEO of Disney in 2019.

🤔🤔🤔
President Iger announces U.S. merger with Disney Company

Perhaps, rather than continue this cycle of head scratching, we should just give the people exciting candidates every time.
There’s a certain level where that’s not really feasible. You can’t expect every candidate for city council or state legislature or even House/Senate/Governor to be Barack Obama 2.0.

Perriello might have been more exciting but he also lost pretty easily.

In all seriousness, Iger would probably be the most acceptable of the business-oriented candidates. But yeah, I hope it doesn’t come to that...

I was thinking of posting the other day that the constant talk of the "GOP Civil War" may just be the left's version of typical conservative projection.

The party has control of every branch of the federal government, and has yet to pass any major legislation due to bickering, in fighting, dumb decisions, and poor leadership. Not even things the entire party agrees on, like tax cuts or repealing the ACA have gone anywhere.

They also keep losing local elections, which has been their bread and butter for a decade.

If the party is getting stronger, this is certainly a weird way of showing strength. It's a confused, damaged party, whose only relevance is pretty much due to extremely hardcore partisan politics, disproportional state representation relative to size, and obscene gerrymandering. One of these three pillars may be a few months away from crumbling. It might take the rest down with it.

DTC

How is the gop getting stronger when it has full control of the government but hasn't accomplished any legislation despite their control?

Obviously the republican party is not gonna die but the trumpian strategy is not gonna last forever. They almost lost the easiest election of their life in 2016 because they nominated a terrible candidate.

The party has control of every branch of the federal government, and has yet to pass any major legislation due to bickering, in fighting, dumb decisions, and poor leadership. Not even things the entire party agrees on, like tax cuts or repealing the ACA have gone anywhere.

They also keep losing local elections, which has been their bread and butter for a decade.

If the party is getting stronger, this is certainly a weird way of showing strength.

I don't disagree with that, but I personally have been expecting a major rift since Palin made the scene, and instead the party just hews to the loudest voice.

Taking Moore being expected to win Alabama as some sign that the Republican brand is teflon is absurd hackery. Like. It’s Alabama. The only reason we’re talking about the state even being remotely competitive is because of how bad he is. Nominate Roy Moore in Pennsylvania or North Carolina or Ohio and see what happens.

The author treats it as a given that the tea party did no damage to the Republicans since 2010, except they’ve whiffed on some very winnable elections. Christine O’Donnell, Sue Lowden, Ken Buck, Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock were all extremist candidates who were nominated in place of more moderate Republicans who would have won the general election. Mourdock primaried a sitting senator who would have won with 60% of the vote and gifted the Democrats a seat. Meanwhile Olympia Snowe retires and Democrats flipped that, too.

Had the aforementioned five not made it to the general and Snowe stayed, they could easily have had the Senate after the 2012 elections. Contrast to 2014 when Republicans finally flipped the chamber and even their nuttiest candidates (like Joni Ernst and Cory Gardner) had to rebrand themselves as wholesome moderates to win. They also lost seats last year and won the presidency on a bullshit technicality, the same way they elected their only other president in the last 24 years.

Summary, that author is suffering from some severe tunnel vision to prove that omg the democratz r doomed!!1111 I’m not saying the current situation is good, or that Democrats are going to sweep next year, I’m just tired of the constant “nothing sticks to Trump,” “Republicans always win” nonsense that’s plagued political coverage for a while.

By the way, that’s on the heels of this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/republican-donors-trump-mcconnell-anger-243449

For everything the GOP has won, fat lot of good it’s done them as their party may be on the same page when it comes to election strategies, but they’re all over the book on what to do when they actually assume power.

By the way, that’s on the heels of this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/republican-donors-trump-mcconnell-anger-243449

For everything the GOP has won, fat lot of good it’s done them as their party may be on the same page when it comes to election strategies, but they’re all over the book on what to do when they actually assume power.

Donors causing incumbent GOP senators to lose their primaries could open new paths for Democrats to take the senate.

Their in-fighting might end up leading to them losing power they had no reason to lose.

In all seriousness, Iger would probably be the most acceptable of the business-oriented candidates. But yeah, I hope it doesn’t come to that...

Iger: I know how to deal with North Korea...

SecState Mouse: Sorry sir but we can’t buy them

Iger:
TDL5LEQ.gif

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
BREAKING: Jeff Sessions Just Reversed A Policy That Protects Transgender Workers From Discrimination.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/jeff-sessions-just-reversed-a-policy-that-protects?utm_term=.llLjQQy468#.olxqeeraEo

Buzzfeed Article said:
Sessions adds: “The Justice Department must and will continue to affirm the dignity of all people, including transgender individuals. Nothing in this memorandum should be construed to condone mistreatment on the basis of gender identity, or to express a policy view on whether Congress should amend Title VII to provide different or additional protections.”

Devin O’Malley, a spokesperson for the Justice Department, explained the decision to issue the memo, telling BuzzFeed News, “The Department of Justice cannot expand the law beyond what Congress has provided. Unfortunately, the last administration abandoned that fundamental principle, which necessitated today's action. This Department remains committed to protecting the civil and constitutional rights of all individuals, and will continue to enforce the numerous laws that Congress has enacted that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Looking forward to the day when Jeff Sessions is geriatric and finally departs from this mortal coil.

It's like, the one nice thing about all the people I hate being old guys.

Clearly meant to go viral with a liberal audience, but this is probably the best I've ever seen Jeff Merkley

https://twitter.com/senjeffmerkley/status/915704243335700481
He’ll have to beat the McAuliffe-Cooper Power Hour first.

Suffolk poll sucks for Republicans. 37-56 disapproval for Trump and Republican Party’s unfavorable rating has been skyrocketing.

http://www.suffolk.edu/news/73845.php#.WdZSAa5OmEc

Marist also has Trump dropping after a slight rebound. 39-54

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con...le and Tables_Trump_September 2017.pdf#page=3

Slizeezyc

What is this viral article going around from a former 538 writer that research shows gun control doesn't work?

Was in the WaPo I think yesterday. It's a bit misleading, obviously. Like I get what's trying to be said in that, yes, you need to treat people better and get to root causes, but it's also not a full look at gun control at all (or gun deaths).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html?utm_term=.6fb24c5f3a5d

@mkraju
While Burr said final report will show media orgs with "egg on their face," Warner had this to say about Trump AM tweet: "No reaction."

Why is this a part of a report on Russian interference in the U.S. election?

Yep this is just so the House can save face and claim "we passed a budget!" The Senate won't pass it outright, so they will basically make their own and send it back to House with hope that it's tolerable. Still a ways from final.

It's not even that. Budget bills have to start in the House. The Senate can't do anything until the House passes something.

I was actually surprised back with the ACA repeal that they even bothered making a bill. They just need something to pass to the Senate to qualify for reconciliation.

ShOcKwAvE

It's not even that. Budget bills have to start in the House. The Senate can't do anything until the House passes something.

I was actually surprised back with the ACA repeal that they even bothered making a bill. They just need something to pass to the Senate to qualify for reconciliation.

All bills have to start in house, iirc. What I'm saying is that the House can choose to pass anything they want, knowing that the Senate will make changes and/or write something entirely different and send back. House R's can then blame Senate for any problems, as they did on healthcare.

Stephen Miller really has to go.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/white-house-immigration-cuts-daca-243493

The White House is finalizing a plan to demand hardline immigration reforms in exchange for supporting a fix on the DACA program, according to three people familiar with the talks – an approach that risks alienating Democrats and even many Republicans, potentially tanking any deal.

The White House proposal is being crafted by Stephen Miller, the administration’s top immigration adviser, and includes cutting legal immigration by half over the next decade, an idea that’s already been panned by lawmakers in both parties.

In addition to provisions in the RAISE Act, the White House’s immigration principles also include parts of the Davis-Oliver Act, including measures that would give state and local law enforcement power to enforce immigration laws, allow states to write their own immigration laws and expand criminal penalties for entering the U.S. illegally.

The principles would also incorporate a provision from the Davis-Oliver Act that puts the onus on Congress to designate Temporary Protected Status, which allows immigrants to temporarily stay in the United States because they are unable to return to their home country as a result of a natural disaster or other dangerous circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom