• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLITICO: How Trump gets his fake news

Tovarisc

The president rarely surfs the web on his own, but his staff have made a habit of slipping news stories on to his desk—including the occasional internet hoax.

White House chief of staff Reince Priebus issued a stern warning at a recent senior staff meeting: Quit trying to secretly slip stuff to President Trump.

Just days earlier, K.T. McFarland, the deputy national security adviser, had given Trump a printout of two Time magazine covers. One, supposedly from the 1970s, warned of a coming ice age; the other, from 2008, about surviving global warming, according to four White House officials familiar with the matter.

Trump quickly got lathered up about the media’s hypocrisy. But there was a problem. The 1970s cover was fake, part of an Internet hoax that’s circulated for years. Staff chased down the truth and intervened before Trump tweeted or talked publicly about it.

The episode illustrates the impossible mission of managing a White House led by an impetuous president who has resisted structure and strictures his entire adult life.

While the information stream to past commanders-in-chief has been tightly monitored, Trump prefers an open Oval Office with a free flow of ideas and inputs from both official and unofficial channels. And he often does not differentiate between the two. Aides sometimes slip him stories to press their advantage on policy; other times they do so to gain an edge in the seemingly endless Game of Thrones inside the West Wing.

The consequences can be tremendous, according to a half-dozen White House officials and others with direct interactions with the president. A news story tucked into Trump’s hands at the right moment can torpedo an appointment or redirect the president’s entire agenda. Current and former Trump officials say Trump can react volcanically to negative press clips, especially those with damaging leaks, becoming engrossed in finding out where they originated.

When Trump bellows about this or that story, his aides often scramble in a game of cat-and-mouse to figure out who alerted the president to the piece in the first place given that he rarely browses the Internet on his own. Some in the White House describe getting angry calls from the president and then hustling over to Trump’s personal secretary, Madeleine Westerhout, to ferret who exactly had just paid a visit to the Oval Office and possibly set Trump off.

Priebus and White House staff secretary Rob Porter have tried to implement a system to manage and document the paperwork Trump receives. While some see the new structure as a power play by a weakened chief of staff – “He’d like to get a phone log too,” cracked one senior White House adviser—others are more concerned about the unfettered ability of Trump’s family-member advisers, Jared Kushne and Ivanka Trump, to ply the president with whatever paperwork they want in the residence sight unseen.

Lisa Brown, who served as White House staff secretary under President Barack Obama for two years, said it can be “dangerous” when people make end-runs around paperwork procedures, leaving the president with incomplete or one-sided information at key junctures.

“It’s even more important with someone like this,” she said of Trump, a president notoriously influenced by the last person he has spoken to, “but the challenge is he has to buy into it.”

McFarland, who is expected to leave the NSC for the ambassadorship to Singapore, did not respond to requests for comment about bringing the president a fake news magazine cover. But another White House official familiar with the matter tried to defend it as an honest error that was “fake but accurate.”

“While the specific cover is fake, it is true there was a period in the 70s when people were predicting an ice age,” the official insisted. “The broader point I think was accurate.”

There is universal agreement among Trump advisers on this: The best way to focus the president’s attention on any story is to tell him about it personally, even if it is in one of the papers he’s already thumbed through. But officials say it’s a high-risk, high-reward proposition because Trump’s frustrations at bad stories can easily boomerang against those delivering him the news.

Still, Trump advisers are unwilling to give up the chance to directly bend the president’s ear and hand him supporting documents because they have seen how he can be swayed.

More recently, when four economists who advised Trump during the campaign — Steve Forbes, Larry Kudlow, Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore — wrote in a New York Times op-ed that “now is the time to move it forward with urgency,” someone in the White House flagged the piece for the president.

Trump summoned staff to talk about it. His message: Make this the tax plan, according to one White House official present.

The op-ed came out on a Wednesday. By Friday, Trump was telling the Associated Press, “I shouldn’t tell you this, but we’re going to be announcing, probably on Wednesday, tax reform,” startling his own aides who had not yet prepared such a plan. Sure enough, the next Wednesday Trump’s economic team was rolling out a tax plan that echoed the op-ed.

Moore was at the White House that day. “Several of the White House folks came up to us and said, ‘It’s your op-ed that got Trump moving on this,’” Moore said. “I’ve probably written 1,000 op-eds on my life but that might have been the most impactful.”

So who was his guardian angel in the White House?

“We still don’t know,” he said

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/15/donald-trump-fake-news-238379

Nothing in this piece is reassuring, at all.

He is like the Disney sultan except with a whole bunch of Jafars instead of just one.

Tacitus_

Trump quickly got lathered up about the media's hypocrisy. But there was a problem. The 1970s cover was fake, part of an Internet hoax that's circulated for years. Staff chased down the truth and intervened before Trump tweeted or talked publicly about it.

That's certainly something. I wonder how that convo went.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Congrats America. Your president tells it like it is... 'It' being whatever poorly-sourced or uncredited information that has been passed to him by his own personal army of Grima Wormtongues.

I really hope someone manages to slip him something soon which is false and he goes off on a rant about it. Can you imagine the amazing spin Conway & co. would come up with to justify his idiocy.

The only politician besides Trump I've heard of who is said to have based their policies on the last person they talked to is Louis XVI. And we all know what happened to him.

This is a grim time for the United States.

Mivey

White House chief of staff Reince Priebus issued a stern warning at a recent senior staff meeting: Quit trying to secretly slip stuff to President Trump.
Satire is dead. You can't trump this.

DrArchon

That's certainly something. I wonder how that convo went.

"Wait, so the cover is fake?"

"That's correct, sir."

"But global warming is still fake, right?"

"Oh, definitely, sir. This was just a hoax made by pro-climate change trolls to make climate deniers seem bad."

DonShula

What I'm hearing is that Reince Priebus is the only thing standing between us and Trump railing against an Onion article.

RDreamer

It's amazing the amount of leaks and stories basically saying the supposed leader of the free world has to be treated like a toddler.

Trump quickly got lathered up about the media’s hypocrisy. But there was a problem. The 1970s cover was fake, part of an Internet hoax that’s circulated for years. Staff chased down the truth and intervened before Trump tweeted or talked publicly about it.

Goddamnit why bitches gotta be doing their job and shit.

Future

Actually really curious what it would be like to have an intelligent, informed president that does read the internet and is capable of distilling information properly down into truths and falsehoods

Steejee

He is like the Disney sultan except with a whole bunch of Jafars instead of just one.

Though I don't think the Sultan wanted to bang Jasmine...

Actually really curious what it would be like to have an intelligent, informed president that does read the internet and is capable of distilling information properly down into truths and falsehoods

We just had one for 8 years.

RDreamer

How the hell does the man not watch news on his own?
He watches "news" on his own a ton. There's a lot of stories about that. He TiVo's shit and plays it back constantly. He doesn't read much though.

They filtered news to other presidents?

I think they mean through official channels. I know through accounts of those that worked with him, Obama read a fucking ton of news. He probably wasn't getting a lot of random shit like a hoax cover or fake news from some blog through his national security advisors, though. That was probably relegated to actual intelligence and other really important stories.

“It’s even more important with someone like this,” she said of Trump, a president notoriously influenced by the last person he has spoken to, “but the challenge is he has to buy into it.”

Okaaaaay.

theWB27

Yea...i wonder how that would go -_-

Vagabundo

Someone should print out some NeoGAF threads for him to read!!

lol Obama has been the most internet savvy president to date.

Some white house janitor has been trolling the shit out of the entire country.

PBF240-Return_of_the_Ghost.gif

Honestly, I'm not surprised at this at all. The fact he seemed so easily swayed by basically anything... It makes complete sense.

He is like the Disney sultan except racist and with a whole bunch of Jafars instead of just one.

FTFY.

Tovarisc

How the hell does the man not watch news on his own?

Actually he reads multiple newspapers every day and does consume news from CNN, FOX and NBC. This is mentioned in source article, but has also been known for some time so I didn't put that quote into OP.

Top Bottom