• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: NBC looking to spin off SNL's Weekend Update to Thursday's night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

FIRST-IN-PLAYBOOK BUZZ -- NBC LOOKS TO SPIN OFF WEEKLY “WEEKEND UPDATE” -- NBC is in talks to air a 30-minute primetime weekly edition of “Saturday Night Live’s” “Weekend Update.” With Alec Baldwin’s impression of the president, SNL’s popularity has exploded in the Trump era. A stand-alone “Weekend Update” show could help NBC capitalize on a topsy turvy news cycle. "Variety" reports that SNL is up 22 percent in viewership -- its strongest start to a season in more than two decades, our colleagues at Morning Media note. The scuttlebutt is the show might air Thursday evenings later this year. An NBC spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment.

http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/p...of-trump-devos-confirmation-vote-today-218598

This is a terrible idea. Just because Weekend Update eventually inspired things like The Daily Show, it does not mean it needs to live on its own.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sure, why not. Takes about 10ish minutes out of the Saturday show, that's like two sketches. Most people rave more about the cold opens than Weekend Update anyway so you won't lose viewers over it. Not really any downside to trying. This is the cheapest thing in the world to produce.

chronos86

They did this at least twice. I believe it was in 2008-09/10? . they would air it on Thursday nights in the fall.

Edit: beat me to it.

They did it during the 2008 election and it was really successful mostly cause of Sarah Palin. Then they tried to continue it the following year and without the 2008 election to talk about it tanked.

Volimar

They are getting better now tbh. Prefer them over the Seth Meyers era

3tCJwCh.gif

Tripon

I'm just curious where the fuck Pete Davidson has been all season

He was in the monologue this week mocking Alec Baldwin for how old he's gotten.

It's not Pete Davison you should be worried about. Kyle Moonie has been regulated to one sketch a week for the season, it seems.

Mikey Day's emergence despite it being his first year as a cast member means that he's soaking up roles that Davison or Moonie would do. (Day's getting a ton of roles shows that you really should be a writer, and cast member as much as possible on SNL).

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
They've done this and it only works during elections

We're in a reality where the election never ended.

I could see this working if they start it right away before either Trump calms down or we all become used to his batshit.

Futureman

Whenever they did it in '08, was it not on SNL? I like the two guys doing it now but honestly probably wouldn't tune into a weekly show.

Fatalah

Continues to be a great decision for Che to have left the Daily Show.

Dude would have been a much better choice for TDS host than Noah.

Now he'll be on primetime network TV! Good on Che.

Futureman

Continues to be a great decision for Che to have left the Daily Show.

Now he'll be on primetime network TV! Good on Che.

People were saying in the SNL thread last night that his stand up special on Netflix is really good. I'll have to check it out.

Bigfoot

Bring back Norm MacDonald and let him read the Fake News every week until he wants to quit.
This would be the smart move. Norm is old now but he's the only Weekend Update host they have ever had where I would watch SNL just for Weekend Update. Now I just watch the first 20-30 minutes then go to bed, if I even watch at all.

blamite

Bad idea. I've only watched the last 3 weeks or so lately but it's been one of the weaker parts of the show each time.

Arkeband

Banned
Weekend Update has felt like an obligation for a pretty long time now - the shows it inspired have eclipsed it.

But then again, NBC loves to make doomed half hour programs as well as hour programs, so this will be no exception.

RaidenZR

The hell is this? Not even close. Noah has been doing a fucking great job and making things slowly his own. He has a much broader world view and world experience than most comedians do.

Also, Che is a very different kind of comedian and commentator-- A bit too much cynical mixed with snarky smirks, for my taste. After watching his most recent stand-up on Netflix, I'm not sure I could take him as a full-on host for 40 minutes or so.

RDreamer

Last night was the first time watching since Seth Myers and the two hosts now seem completely awful. Was that a bad night or are they just not terribly good?

To clarify it mostly seemed like low hanging fruit jokes mixed with some bad delivery.

I honestly think its great and hilarious that the Trump presidency has caused SNL to regain traction. Good for them, but also its gotta be pretty easy to write material for something such as this.

Tripon

Its a good idea if they can get Tina Fey back yo do it.

She might guest star, but it's probably something to get the current cast and writers another show, so they will stay for a couple more years instead of leave to do TV series or movies that will likely pay more.

SNL is foremost a stepping stone for your career. You're not supposed to stay with the show for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom