• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Moviegoers want "Hidden Figures" for Best Picture, Denzel for Best Actor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
s0XDZNa.jpg

Poll results

Best Picture:

1. Hidden Figures (26%)
2. La La Land (25%)
3. Arrival (13%)
4. Hacksaw Ridge (10%)
4. Moonlight (10%)
6. Manchester by the Sea (6%)
6. Fences (6%)
8. Hell or High Water (3%)
8. Lion (3%)

Best Actor:

1. Denzel Washington (34%)
2. Ryan Gosling (24%)
3. Andrew Garfield (19%)
4. Casey Affleck (15%)
5. Viggo Mortensen (8%)

Best Actress:

1. Emma Stone (44%)
2. Natalie Portman (26%)
3. Ruth Negga (13%)
3. Meryl Streep (13%)
5. Isabelle Huppert (4%)

The musical La La Land hits all the right notes for film critics and awards pundits. However, Hidden Figures adds up to a more Oscar-worthy movie for audiences.

In a poll of more than 8,000 moviegoers conducted by movie-ticket site Fandango.com exclusively for USA TODAY, the drama starring Taraji P. Henson as NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson was the favorite to win best picture at the Academy Awards (ABC, Sunday, 7 p.m. ET/4 PT). The film about the 1960s Space Race ranked No. 1 with 26% of film lovers who said they've seen all nine nominated pictures, and Figures just nudged out La La Land (25%) by one percentage point.

Arrival was third (with 13%), followed by Hacksaw Ridge and Moonlight (tied with 10%); Fences and Manchester by the Sea (both 5%); and Hell or High Water and Lion (3%).

Hidden Figures and La La Land are the two highest-grossing best picture nominees — with tallies of $144.2 million and $134.4 million, respectively — and "the biggest crowd-pleasers of the year," says Erik Davis, managing editor for Fandango.com and Movies.com. "If any film is going to upset La La Land's potentially history-making Oscar night, it'll be Hidden Figures."

Fences star Denzel Washington was the poll's pick for best actor — with 34% — and bested Casey Affleck (who finished fourth with 15%), the early Manchester by the Sea favorite in the category that's become a two-man race in recent weeks. Ryan Gosling (La La Land) was second with 24%, Andrew Garfield (Hacksaw Ridge) came in third at 19% and Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic) was fifth with 8%.

More at USA Today

gdt

Seems to line up pretty well with commercial success, except for Denzel and that's because he the most recognizable there.

Infinite

Hidden Figures was the most commercially successful film out of all the nominees so it comes as no shock that the majority movie goers want to see it win. Either way I want to see Moonlight take that award.

"Moviegoers" is almost as derogatory as "gamers".

If you identify as part of either labelled group, your opinion should be discounted.

Hell or High Water is a masterpiece and these people have shit taste.

Infinite

"Moviegoers" is almost as derogatory as "gamers".

If you identify as part of either labelled group, your opinion should be discounted.

Hell or High Water is a masterpiece and these people have shit taste.
I guess you want the title of the thread to subsistitute moviegoers with "people who went to the movies in 2017"

Domestic BO:

1. Hidden Figures (26%) - $146M
2. La La Land (25%) - $136M
3. Arrival (13%) - $100M
4. Hacksaw Ridge (10%) - $67M
4. Moonlight (10%) - $21M
6. Manchester by the Sea (6%) - $46M
6. Fences (6%) - $56M
8. Hell or High Water (3%) - $27M
8. Lion (3%) - $39M

Clearly the correlation is pretty apparent. Pretty impressive on Moonlight's part; probably helped by it being out on streaming and, you know, being a damn fine movie.

It really warmed my heart when I went to see hidden figures and entire families with kids were there too, moreso than usual non-cartoon movies.

IMO Hidden Figures should be a mandatory watch for grade schools across the country.

I guess you want the title of the thread to subsistitute moviegoers with "people who went to the movies in 2017"

I want the title to be changed to "Members of the Club For Mouthbreathing Dimwits with Chronic Eczema and Other Disgusting Attributes Have Identified the Blandest Film out of a Preselected Group of Nine"

What about readers?

Drivers?

Runners?

Those are all good people, unless they collectively like Hidden Figures above the other nominees.

see5harp

I'm ok with Hidden Figures but come on son Moonlight better win some shit. It was far and away my favorite movie in the last year.

Infinite

I want the title to be changed to "Members of the Club For Mouthbreathing Dimwits with Chronic Eczema and Other Disgusting Attributes Have Identified the Blandest Film out of a Preselected Group of Nine"

Those are all good people, unless they collectively like Hidden Figures above the other nominees.
Hey! I have eczema😡

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Is Hidden Figures really that good? It looked like a standard biographical film about space with the hook being that black women are the stars and achieved great things.

Ithil

Is Hidden Figures really that good? It looked like a standard biographical film about space with the hook being that black women are the stars and achieved great things.

It's a nice film, well acted, well made, and brings a spotlight to some very underappreciated people. However, it's fairly generic in structure and script, so I would never vote for it as "best film of the year", it's a fairly standard Winter release feel-good biographical film.

Toothless

What a shock, people want movies they saw to win.

Real talk: if anything outside of Manchester, Moonlight, La La, and Arrival won Best Picture, it'd be the worst winner since The Artist. Thankfully, La La Land has it in the bag.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Casey Affleck got this. Relax.

I know danzel won the SAG award but i bet it was really close.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
it's better than hacksaw ridge

not saying much
Still need to watch that film, that and a few others (La La Land not being out after the Oscars is dumb).
It's a nice film, well acted, well made, and brings a spotlight to some very underappreciated people. However, it's fairly generic in structure and script, so I would never vote for it as "best film of the year", it's a fairly standard Winter release feel-good biographical film.
This was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the trailer.

The movie is enjoyable enough but it is far from best picture material especially in a year where there are films like Moonlight.
I'm honestly surprised it got nominated then. Then again I said the same thing about Arrival and Hell or High Water.

Denzel should have won for Flight when they gave it to Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln.

They're going to give it to La La Land though almost certainly, because they love gobbling their own nob.

What a shock, people want movies they saw to win.

Real talk: if anything outside of Manchester, Moonlight, La La, and Arrival won Best Picture, it'd be the worst winner since The Artist. Thankfully, La La Land has it in the bag.

"And the Oscar goes to..............................
YOGA HOSERS. KEVIN SMITH COME ON DOWN."

gTsxT0l.jpg

a916

I kinda feel like this is such a useless poll... Manchester by the Sea made 55.7M... who's going to vote for it when the public didn't it watch it as much as La La Land (339.6M)

hawk2025

I see absolutely no problem with Denzel above Casey.

Casey's performance was excellent -- Denzel's was once in a lifetime stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom