• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll : When CGI becomes Reality

Did you rik it :) ?

• This was amazing, a great dupe

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Meh nothing special, i like death stranding

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

Mattyp

Gold Member

We'll get there in our life time for sure.

Another 10 years after the leaps in the last 20 and we'll be down to really small diminishing returns.

Imagine when we no longer need to update hardware because the graphics cannot get any better 😹

Last edited:

Tranquil

I could still tell it wasn't real by the foliage it didn't blend with the surroundings and how the water moved too fast and too smooth. But impressive though, I love things like this.

MetalRain

I think indoor scenes with simple furniture were quite close to reality. Like scenes at

Outdoor scenes were little too "perfect", but when you have nice amount of blur you might be convinced like

Great work anyway!

Last edited:

Skyr

The inside shots are very convincing idd.
It's the outside shots that still look very cg and plasticy.

It's like everything that was originally manmade can also be easily made look convincing with cg. Like cars, machines, furniture etc.
Then comes natural landscape which is harder to do. After that humans and animals which even the best CG still can't do perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJY

CJY

Banned
Flops don't mean anything in isolation, but are interesting nonetheless.

AMD thinks we need 1 million times more GPU power before graphics will be the same as looking into a mirror.

Here's a (rough) chart of GPU/Graphics Card power from 1995 to 2019.

bBBLY2M.png

1995 is represented by Nvidia NV1/SG1000: 0.024 GFlops
2019 is Nvidia Titan RTX: 16312 GFlops

That's a 679,667x increase in 24 years.

The first 1 GFlop card was ATi Rage Fury Maxx in 2000, since then, we've seen an average increase of 88% in GPU compute per year.

To reach 1 million times today's top level card, that card would need 16,000,000 GFlops, 16,000TFlops, or 16PetaFlops.

On our current trajectory, a 16PetaFlop GPU should be available in... 2030

I'll be happy enough with my 1PetaFlop card in or around May of 2025. :p

Last edited:

Wunray

I imagine we'll get games like this at the end of this generation and next gen we'll get open world games like that.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah, the indoor shots look almost completely real.

We're getting there! Slowly but surely..

Top Bottom