• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon says Ubisoft said Watch Dogs Wii U wasn't canned, [retracts statement]

Reallink

Real talk guys, why does anyone care about this? I can only imagine the number of people (particularly on Neogaf) that ONLY own a Wii U and/or do not have access to one of the 5 other platforms it's releasing on is ZERO. I was under the impression Black Flag U was objectively inferior to the PS360 versions, and there's no reason to believe this would have been any different. In summary, who really gives a shit if it is or isn't canceled?

emb

Lol, Watch_Dogs going through an amusing saga at the moment.

"Watch Dogs Wii U probably cancelled!"
"No wait no it's not!"
"All Watch_Dogs cancelled, we don't even want the trademark!"
"Watch_Dogs = ACV!" (lol)
"Wait no actually the Wii U version is cancelled!"

Though I actually do expect the Wii U version to get dropped.

Real talk guys, why does anyone care about this? I can only imagine the number of people (particularly on Neogaf) that ONLY own a Wii U and/or do not have access to one of the 5 other platforms it's releasing on is ZERO. I was under the impression Black Flag U was objectively inferior to the PS360 versions, and there's no reason to believe this would have been any different.

My understanding is that Watch Dogs was the last morsel of third party support the Wii U had left. If Ubisoft are abandoning the Wii U across the board, the situation is more dire than anyone could've predicted.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Real talk guys, why does anyone care about this? I can only imagine the number of people (particularly on Neogaf) that ONLY own a Wii U and/or do not have access to one of the 5 other platforms it's releasing on is ZERO. I was under the impression Black Flag U was objectively inferior to the PS360 versions, and there's no reason to believe this would have been any different. In summary, who really gives a shit if it is or isn't canceled?
If I had to guess I would imagine it's more about what it symbolically means for Wii U third party support, especially after Warner stopped caring.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think you're seeing a mix between people who are interested in the Wii U's third party support from a market/analysis point of view, a mix of Wii U-only owners biting their nails about the game, and system warriors out to rub one out in Wii U fans eyes.

I'm just amazed that this issue is still in limbo at this point.

Squire

Banned
If I had to guess I would imagine it's more about what it symbolically means for Wii U third party support, especially after Warner stopped caring.

Yep. Even if it releases, I think it's going to be the last AAA third-party game on the system.

Here's what I thinks happening. Ubisoft is having a hard time polishing the game across all 6 platforms, and have to free up resources in order to avoid further delay. I'm sure a playable Wii U version exists, but even at 60% playable, its not worth it finishing it if they'll continue delaying the game and continue losing money on this not being released November 2013. By the time they release this game, all interest would be dead, E3 will have come and gone, Wii U sales will barely move and players who own Wii U will purchase first party over third party as they'll have to invest in either a PS4 or XBO for their future multiplatform gaming needs.

It's emblematic of Ubisoft's future core support for the Wii U.

If Watch_Dogs doesn't come out for the platform, Assassin's Creed V probably won't come out as well...neither would the next Splinter Cell or any other core, mature Ubisoft game.

My understanding is that Watch Dogs was the last morsel of third party support the Wii U had left. If Ubisoft are abandoning the Wii U across the board, the situation is more dire than anyone could've predicted.
Ubisoft won't abandon Wii U across the board. Something like Child of Light, any future Rayman game and Just Dance 2015 will come out for it. This is just early indication of cessation of AAA development. If Watch_Dogs does see release one will just have to wait until ACV is not announced for it for confirmation.

If they really are canning the game, why in seven hells aren't they just saying so ? What do they gain by being coy about this bullshit ?

VARIA

Watch Dogs is the canary in the coal mine.

CpcANjh.gif

baphomet

Like I said before, there's no reason For Ubisoft to not confirm a Wii U version if there actually is one.

The game isn't coming out for Wii U.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm imagining someone at Polygon phoning up their local Gamestop store to ask if the WiiU version of Watch_Dogs was still coming out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's emblematic of Ubisoft's future core support for the Wii U.

If Watch_Dogs doesn't come out for the platform, Assassin's Creed V probably won't come out as well...neither would the next Splinter Cell or any other core, mature Ubisoft game.
Right, Warner for example isn't releasing Mad Max, Dying Light, or internally developed Shadows of Mordor for the system, but is releasing LEGO, so them canning Batman's DLC suggests they're probably not doing anything above an E rating on the system anymore.

Similarly, Ubisoft didn't announce The Division or The Crew for the system, nor Valiant Hearts, so it already wasn't looking good.

TunaLover

Like I said before, there's no reason For Ubisoft to not confirm a Wii U version if there actually is one.

The game isn't coming out for Wii U.
Sadly it seems to be the case, because when they were asked about the game delay their reponse wasn't "no comments" was "the game still on track", so apparently the game Wii U version was in fact canned.

I'm just amazed that this issue is still in limbo at this point.

For something that is so easy to clear up and has positive benefits in doing so, it is concerning that Ubisoft haven't put this to bed and said "Thays right folks, Watch Dogs is coming to Wii U!"

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version was delayed or even cancelled.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Again, I reiterate: we need to ban Polygon news from GAF. Like that place you Go to for Nintendo news.

Squire

Banned
Ubisoft won't abandon Wii U across the board. Something like Child of Light, any future Rayman game and Just Dance 2015 will come out for it. This is just early indication of cessation of AAA development. If Watch_Dogs does see release one will just have to wait until ACV is not announced for it for confirmation.

Last two ACs were announced at the end of February, so we shouldn't be waiting much longer.

Yeah I dont get it. Just stop beating around the bush and cancel it.

If they were to announce a cancellation, it would be during their Q3 results so the earnings / news that Ubisoft announces about its future lineup crowds out the "Watch_Dogs Cancelled!!!!!!!! .......(for Wii U)" headlines that would disseminate around the Internet.

plank

This whole thing is getting weird. Time to stay out of these type of threads until its official from the developer.

GAF can't ban Polygon because the word polygon has too many useful applications in video game tech talk. Like how else would you describe how many little triangles make up Mario's nose?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Banned as in a source for credible news, since the creator uses email submissions and GAF posts as credible sources.
Polygon's been dishing out a lot of misleading and confusing articles lately, but they do have great interviews and articles from time to time.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I apologize for the error. It should have been noted in a correction instead of written through. A correction has been noted in the original story.

Again, apologies for the confusion and if Ubisoft ever does get back to us with anything other than a "no comment" on the status of the Wii U version of Watch Dogs, it will be in the headline, not graf 8. :)

I apologize for the error. It should have been noted in a correction instead of written through. A correction has been noted in the original story.

Again, apologies for the confusion and if Ubisoft ever does get back to us with anything other than a "no comment" on the status of the Wii U version of Watch Dogs, it will be in the headline, not graf 8. :)

I noticed something was up when you just casually mentioned "Ubisoft confirmed with Polygon last month"....that's headline worthy news for Polygon to just keep it buried inside a story about trademarks! :)

*Raises hand*

rdrr gnr

But is really? The plus side for the Wii U was that it was within the same processing power range of the PS3/360 thus would scoop up the occasional multiplat independent of its install base. But if you incorporate the install base and the types of games they have purchased so far and the continued relevance of the PS3/360 it actually makes no sense for a third party to release certain content. This has been true for almost a year now.
*Raises hand*
Are you interested in Watch Dogs?

Nags

Banned

Nothing a little secret sauce can't fix. :)

Chindogg

I bought AC4 on Wii U as well and enjoyed it thoroughly for over 50 hours. I'd like to do the same for Watch_Dogs.

Are you the author of the article? You said on twitter that Ubisoft confirmed the Wii U version to Reuters last week! Now I'm confused.

Tagg9

*Raises hand*

I actually know people at my work who only have a Wii U as well. They've been Nintendo-only gamers since they were kids and can't be bothered getting any other systems at this point.

So rest assured that this is going to affect people (albeit a low number of individuals).

Top Bottom