• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Super Mario Odyssey E3 STAMPEDE!

Defect

They were also giving out free Mario caps for people who played the game.
And if you were the first 400 people of the day you get a ticket that needs to be stamped five times by playing five of the eight games at the booth. You get a special Mario Odyssey shirt.

Which I somehow managed to do.

Ventara

I've never been to E3, so I don't know how fast the lines move, but I assume you could be saving yourself hours by running for it, so not surprising.

javac

at least I know who to not bring in conventions like these. killjoys can stay home

Funnily enough Cranky Avenue is down that hallway so they'd probably fit right in and feel at home.
zuinq84.jpg

Jetku

As a frequent "rope dropper" when I visit Disney World, I can tell you that these people aren't moving swiftly because they NEED MARIO NOW! They are moving swiftly because they'd like to play Mario, but want to avoid a several hour wait in line.

As a frequent "rope dropper" when I visit Disney World, I can tell you that these people aren't moving swiftly because they NEED MARIO NOW! They are moving swiftly because they'd like to play Mario, but want to avoid a several hour wait in line.

What's a rope dropper?

Jetku

What's a rope dropper?

Getting to the park before it opens to be one of the first people in. At Disney, this usually allows you to hit multiple popular rides with little to no wait before the masses arrive. The term comes from the "rope" blocking entrances to the lands before open. Once they drop the rope, you were free to "walk" to your destination.

Getting to the park before it opens to be one of the first people in. At Disney, this usually allows you to hit multiple popular rides with little to no wait before the masses arrive. The term comes from the "rope" blocking entrances to the lands before open. Once they drop the rope, you were free to "walk" to your destination.

Ohh, gotcha. Okay, I thought you meant the ropes for queuing up.... like jumping spots in line or something.

Damn, I hate it when places are super busy. I liked going to amusement parks on rainy days because it was usually empty. ~_~

FWIW, I played around 3PM on Wednesday and the line was orderly and less than an hour long.
What did you think of it? I'm not sure if there's a thread about impressions, in which case nevermind me.

Orayn

Ha, I think I found myself in the video if this is from the 15th.

The actual line that formed moved along at a good clip and wasn't bad at all compared to others at the convention, like the Wolfenstein diner where some people were literally waiting the entire time the floor was open. I spent longer in line for Destiny 2 PC than Super Mario Odyssey. (About 3.5 hours vs 2ish)

Lylo

FWIW, I played around 3PM on Wednesday and the line was orderly and less than an hour long.

Yeah, Nintendo booth was very well organized despite the amount of people who wanted to try their games, there were plenty of stations and i was very fortunate to get a picture with Charles Martinet :) Some other companies booth's were pure madness, as much as i like South Park, i'm not going to stay in line for 5 hours to play a few minutes of South Park. I'm looking at you Ubisoft!!!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Isn't there a shit load of people there this year because of it being public and people trying to get there early to get in the door early? I'd say the Zelda thing was a bigger deal.

Orayn

Isn't there a shit load of people there this year because of it being public and people trying to get there early to get in the door early? I'd say the Zelda thing was a bigger deal.

Yes, I heard it was around 65,000 people this year vs like 45,000 the year before. They should have done more to compensate, e.g. shorter demos, digital check-ins vs. lines, more spacious booths

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
just wait 4 months and play the full game from the comfort of your home like a normal person.

It's not just people being excited, but also trying to avoid the insane lines from piling up. I had to wait a goddamned HOUR to play SMO, and there weren't even that many people ahead of me.

Raw64life

Really happy I got to play this game the first day of E3 without having to do this. It was a clusterfuck and way less organized than the following two days but I guess I benefited from it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think you guys are missing the point on my previous post in this thread.

I'm not criticizing them for being excited about a game. I'm criticizing them for being willing to stand in line for hours to demo a game that's coming out 4 months from now.

The point is: There's tons more to see and check out at E3. Those hours spent in line for Mario could be spent checking out other games, some of which will be coming out much later than Mario.

Just my two cents.

The lines for everything were insane at E3. Wolfenstein had an 8 hour line the second the doors open. Ni No Kuni capped off immediately, Sea of Thieves seemed to be 3-4 hours, Bethesda VR was 3-4 hours, Super Lucky's Tale over an hour, Sony was appointment only for most of their games and the appointments booked up within literally 1 second of opening each morning, Destiny 2 seemed to be a full day wait every time I checked, etc.

The entire slate of Sony demos was booked within 1 minute when the app reservations opened at twice each day. Destiny multiplayer had over a 3 hour wait at the Acivision booth.

big_z

Is it just Nintendo? What about the crowd for the other exhibits?

I'm sure a few people went else where. Nintendo is known to draw the herd when they actually bring the games. Wii, Zelda and now Mario. Just goes to show you shooting people in the head maybe not the most entertaining thing.

Nothing will beat the Wii E3 though. People running full sprint through sonys booth to wait in line all day at Nintendos.

Not in any way, shape, or form worth it. That much of an effort to stand in line for hours to try a game you will get to play in full a mere 4 months from now?

Seriously, what is wrong with these people?

These people paid $250 for just the ticket. If they don't hurry they probably wont get a chance to play. This E3 wasn't really setup for the additional 15k people.

ChrisD

Trust me, I would be running too.

I ain't going to wait 4 hours for a 15-minutes demo. Not again.

*Flashback to Gamescom 2013 for Pokemon XY*

Oh gosh this reminded me that I actually have experienced an E3-tier line.

Best Buy's Smash Bros 4 Wii U demo. Waited for... just under three hours? For one round.

ONE
TWO MINUTE
ROUND
I won it with Villager, it was on Little Mac's Boxing Ring

Would say, "Never again," but I actually look back on it pretty fondly, so I wouldn't say no to another opportunity for sampling an early game - even if it meant waiting for over two hours again. It's fun to talk to the people in line. Plus handhelds fill in other lulls. Ironically, if Smash Bros 4 were out on 3DS at that point, I'm CERTAIN we'd have had multiple lobbies up!

The lines for everything were insane at E3. Wolfenstein had an 8 hour line the second the doors open. Ni No Kuni capped off immediately, Sea of Thieves seemed to be 3-4 hours, Bethesda VR was 3-4 hours, Super Lucky's Tale over an hour, Sony was appointment only for most of their games and the appointments booked up within literally 1 second of opening each morning, Destiny 2 seemed to be a full day wait every time I checked, etc.

This is a major reason why I haven't gone back to PAX despite enjoying the one time I went to PAX East. I realized while I was there that I don't actually want to spend hours in line to see a game that'll I'll eventually be able to buy and enjoy on my own terms. That basically rules out 60% of the show floor and 95% of the interesting stuff on the show floor. I totally get why other people do it, though, and god knows I've lined up for some incredibly stupid shit before (like HOT DOGS of all things). Sometimes you just want to be able to play a thing that no one else can play yet, and the less time you can waste in pursuit of that goal, the better.

Wow. Is E3 normally like this, or is what you describe the result of opening it up to the public?

You either run or you wait on a line for hours to play a 10 minute? demo.

Just make sure not to hurt anyone on your way there.

oti

Banned
just wait 4 months and play the full game from the comfort of your home like a normal person.

You're telling people who paid 250 bucks to be there to begin with. They clearly want to play the game on that day. Let them be.

Meanwhile, people that were there to cover the event that weren't Polygon or IGN, couldn't get near the fucking booth because of that.

I tried multiple times and just gave up.

Wamb0wneD

I was more so referring to those running. Like I get being excite but not that excited.

If I was there I would run as fast as I can so I don't have to wait 3 or more hours to play the game. I heard last year people waited more than 6 for Zelda. No thanks, I'd rather run to the booth.

After seeing all of the Mario E3 visors on ebay, this GIF seems even more silly. I agree that gamers are weird, but i saw something very similar to this at an amusement park recently. Even though they said very specifically not to run when the park opened.

wildfire

Banned
I was more so referring to those running. Like I get being excite but not that excited.

I guess you never have taken public transportation. People get very competitive getting first on the bus or train in highly populated cities.

You have zero understanding of our species' behavior in large crowds.

Why embarrass yourself like this?

It's a GIF of a crowd walking kind of fast with some individuals sort of running. No one is getting hurt, no one is being obnoxious. What about this is embarrassing?

If you think this is bad, I implore you to watch some Black Friday videos.

Top Bottom