• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop, soda, or coke? A painstakingly detailed map!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talk about this a lot so when I came across this map I had to post it. (Sorry if old, though I've never seen it up here.)

http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

Look at this marvelous thing! Interestingly enough, I moved from a "soda" place to a "soda" place, meaning I don't have to adjust my vocabulary. What must it be like to live in a border state? And, look at that big radiant spot of soda around the Mississippi!

AM CONFUSED. According to that map, Wisconsin is split right in half! However, I live in BOTH sides of the supposed division, and I always hear "pop." :lol

robochimp

Duck of Death said:
AM CONFUSED. According to that map, Wisconsin is split right in half! However, I live in BOTH sides of the supposed division, and I always hear "pop." :lol

I live in southeastern WI and I always have heard it called soda. The pnly people I know that call it pop are from Illinois.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yea, old.

Eerie how some of the borders on states also match the used name. Like look at northwest Texas. It goes from 80-100% coke to 80-100% pop and 80-100% soda. That doesn't seem believable.

Mashing

It's ironic really... Pop sounds like something some southern yokel would call sodas, but it's more predominate in the northern states. I call them soda's myself.... every once in a while I call them coke, but very rarely.

Ferrio

Banned
MetatronM said:
So does the South just not know what a "brand name" is or what? What's the deal with that?

what do you call this?

KTHERM15.jpg

I'm originally from Georgia and always used "coke." Always assumed it had to do with the Coca-Cola being invented in Atlanta, as well as the fact the headquarters are still there. (Also the Coke museum which has all sorts of free carbonated beverages.)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm in Milwaukee, WI. It is soda. However my relatives in Wausau and Superior call it pop.

Azih

I also call Tissue Paper Tissue Paper, not Kleenex

Plus I refer to screwdrivers as plus, minus etc. I have no idea what a Phllips head screwdriver is.

Does anybody have a link to that huge university study (it was an ivy league school I think) that does this sorta thing for every word and phrase ever?

Did you know that some people in the deep south call the phenomenon of rain while it is sunny "the devil is beating his wife."

Azih said:
I also call Tissue Paper Tissue Paper, not Kleenex

Plus I refer to screwdrivers as plus, minus etc. I have no idea what a Phllips head screwdriver is.

Plus, minus? What about cross-point or flat-head?

Phillips head would be the cross-point, or "plus" in your case I guess. Crazily enough, It's named after the guy who invented it, Henry Phillips.

Ferrio

Banned
StrikerObi said:
Does anybody have a link to that huge university study (it was an ivy league school I think) that does this sorta thing for every word and phrase ever?

Did you know that some people in the deep south call the phenomenon of rain while it is sunny "the devil is beating his wife."

Heh I say that when It's raining while sunny.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I've never heard of "coke" being used as a generic term for a soft drink. Cola, yes, but not soft drinks in general.

My county is accurate, and an interesting take on this statement. Growing up in NC, I always heard, and used, the term "coke" to mean any soft drink. Pop was considered a northern term, and soda still makes me chuckle. For me, it's coke.

The interesting part is, Pepsi was founded in NC, and we have a huge bottling/distribution plant in my county. We still say coke, even if a place serves Pepsi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom