• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopCap dodges whether PvZ: Garden Warfare is 1080p on Xbox One (update: it's 900p)

How is that even possible? How can this game not run at 1080p on the X1?

I swear their tools are not done and if they were done it takes months for developers to integrate new SDK drops into their games with confidence. You won't see the fruits of whatever rendering work MS has been doing in released games for the Xbox One until September at the earliest. Time pressure and engine restructuring for any game in development is the issue.

Einbroch

Banned
its like debating a creationist. The images will be posted, they will be ignored for the belief that high resolution gaming truly doesn't matter, in 2014, with 500 dollar consoles, where higher resolutions are found on a cheaper device(s).

I do enjoy watching the cycle though, can someone start this off? Thanks.

Eh, if he really hasn't seen a game in 1080p and says "Wow, I had no idea", it's not a loss. More informed gamers are always a good thing.

I mean, I think 60fps is fine, but there are people who say 120fps is amazing. I have never seen 120fps, so to me, 60fps is just fine.

I could upload a 4k image but to him it would be no different, so again moot point.

Except he's asking for a 1080p, and if he has a 1080p monitor but only games on 720p, he could see the difference.

Is it strange that I see this as good progress? CoD:G and BF4 were 720p. This game and possibly Titanfall could end up being 900p.
Not really no, considering how TF looks. But I guess devs will eventually manage to avoid 720p. But right now we have cross-gen MGS releasing at 720p on XB1.

The game actually looks pretty good, plus it's running at 60fps. 900p is higher than any other XB1 60fps shooter at this point.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions based on the game, but damn. I would have expected 1080p on this one, at least. It's a timed exclusive right? Looks pretty interesting so I'm wondering whether I should get it on PC or wait.

pelican

While native 1080p would be awesome, I'm quite satisfied with 900p upscaled.

I'm perfectly comfortable knowing the Xbone can't compete with my PS4 or 290X as it doesn't mean I won't enjoy the games I decide to pick up on it.

JDSN

Banned
This probably isn't accurate, but since no one is really giving you an image, I thought I'd help out homie

Luther-Resolution-Large.jpg

Now make a Cumberbabhch version!

pelican

Well considering Abbie Heppe said it herself and later Mort said they aren't blowing smoke up our asses...

It might not happen, but it's certainly possible.

Would be great if they can up the resolution to 900p and retain the framerate.

I thought TF on the Bone looked OK upscaled from 720p. Obviously not as good on my PC, but I can live with that as I want to play it on the Bone.

Portugeezer

Well considering Abbie Heppe said it herself and later Mort said they aren't blowing smoke up our asses...

It might not happen, but it's certainly possible.

I would have believed it had there not been a Beta. I know "beta is beta", but from the betas performance I can't see them improving the framerate and also the resolution to 900p in 1 month.

Yeah, you know it's bad when even Plants vs Zombies can't make it to 1080p. I mean, this isn't Ryse or Forza. It's plants versus zombies for fucks sake....

so what you're saying is 4K idris elba IS that pleasing to the eyes

I'll say that. I'll say that all day.

To the OP... I just can't believe people continue to trot out the, "1080p native and 1080p upscaled, it's all 1080p!" argument. I'd say no one is dumb enough to believe that, but then again, there are people denying that 720 to 1080 is in anyway meaningful in this very thread! Wonders never cease.

Einbroch

Banned
Reread, he says 720p TV ;).

No, I know, but he's asking for an image. An image he is likely viewing on his PC. He wants to be educated on what the difference is, not that he's going to experience it, so posting an example would be helpful in this case. He will never experience 1080p gaming on his TV, but that does not mean he cannot see the difference on his PC monitor.

Bgamer90

Banned
Microsoft fixed the Black Crush on sub-1080p games in the last update, right? I thought I saw that anyway.

Yeah, alongside the bad sharpening. Game should still look great. Not interested in the game but I honestly expected 1080p for this too. Must be a good reason for it when you compare this to other more realistic games that are in 900p or higher on the system.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, you know it's bad when even Plants vs Zombies can't make it to 1080p. I mean, this isn't Ryse or Forza. It's plants versus zombies for fucks sake....

I don't understand how it's possible that they had to compromise with the resolution in a fucking plants vs zombies game. I just can't accept that it's because of the hardware.

edit- ok I didn't realize that this wasn't just a standard PVZ flash type game. I watched a gameplay video and I can kinda see the Xbone not running it at 1080p

EBE

900p? seems a bit weird considering other frostbite games look far better than this. and isnt NFS 1080p?

whatever. looks super nice either way.

Silky

Banned
Forza is 1080p and 60FPS so I wonder about PvZ:GW.=O

900p/60fps. PvZ has been confirmed to be 60FPS from it's release. No one knows this because lol no one is paying attention to the game that's releasing in less than two weeks

I don't understand how it's possible that they had to compromise with the resolution in a fucking plants vs zombies game. I just can't accept that it's because of the hardware.

Come on have you seen the game in action? there's no WAY the game was gonna hit 1080p

Ragnarok

yikes...

also these assholes spouting off that UPSCALED 1080P IS STILL 1080P need to be punched in the face.

TyrantII

Lol

Does this game really matter if it's 1080? Serious question.

Ask Microsoft and Penello.

They came here to lie enlighten GAF about the parity between the boxes and the magical juice/numbers that proved it. We just needed to compare the games ourselves when they came out to see the obvious truth; If I remember correctly. So, were doing that and letting everyone know. Right?

Tis a bummer it's not 1080 but people saying lolpvz should actually look up the game. Very attractive and uses the same engine as Battlefield.

jaded_up_

Banned
Ask Microsoft and Penello.

They came here to lie enlighten GAF about the parity between the boxes and the magical juice/numbers that proved it. We just needed to compare the games ourselves when they came ourselves to see the obvious truth; If I remember correctly.

Isn't this game Xbox exlusive? Can't have parity if it doesn't exist on the other console! Panello redeemed!

Wow, this whole 1080p or not 1080p stuff is getting out of hand. It's like resolution and an extra 30fps matter more than game play. I own all three of the new consoles and am tired of seeing this place with so many threads about resolution and frame rates.

Xater

You can't really miss what your TV can't display. You'll just benefit from free downsampling of games over 720p. If I get an X1 I'm using my 1360x768 set, hopefully 900p will be the baseline down the road.

Devs pulled the same shit last gen when people asked if it really runs in HD. They always dodged sub HD resolutions in the same way. Some things never change.

Hm, I generally don't give a shit about the resolution on XboxOne, but I'm kinda surprised at this one. It doesn't seem like a demanding game.

TyrantII

If only the ES RAM BUS could be tapped into somehow, it seems to contain double the water!

Problem is in my haste, and to make it easier to understand it's backwards.

A more correct drawing is a tiny tiny DDR3 hose widening into a giant eSRAM pipe that can never hold more than the hose can supply.

While the PS4 is a good sized pipe all the way through.

Yaoibot

This probably isn't accurate, but since no one is really giving you an image, I thought I'd help out homie

Luther-Resolution-Large.jpg

That man is so charismatic. Even more so in 4K. I'm catching up on my Luther atm, so that's an odd little coincidence. Everyone needs to watch that show if they have any interest in smarter than Dexter type crime/horror.

And back to the point, this is EA and they'll be slinging this bs line all gen.

Top Bottom