• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis Calls for Ending Tax-Exempt Status of Churches That Don’t Help the Needy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Because the Catholics are so clean on money matters and only use it on helping the needy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gods-bankers-financial-scandals-at-the-vatican-2015-2

VAtican.gif

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Popemobileimg_2216.jpg
old-pope-vs-new-pope.jpg

JDSN

Banned
You can tell this Pope is doing good work when some of catholics sound like the fedoras online, keep up the good work.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
If you read the article I posted, you will see modern history. They're just as decadent and debauched as ever, they just show it differently now.

Regardless of that or his comments, I think religions are headed toward loss of tax exemption status. It's pretty clear lots of religions are for-profit and not so much for he people.

Yeah, about that.
20120818_fbc986.png

Let's give the pope's what's the pope's. The catholic church is the world's largest charity, at 160b of charity per year out of a total of 360, and that's not counting the absurd amount of unpaid\underpaid voluntary work.
What they keep for 'themselves' is roughly 10%, which really isn't much. The Catholic Church takes 110b in donations and makes 160b of charity per year, which is more than what can be said for most charitable organizations, which can often run 20-50% overheads of various types.

That's more about being a Jesuit, which are pretty iconochlastic, than anything. But it's a powerful symbol.

123rl

I'm not religious but I have a lot of respect for this Pope. He seems to genuinely care and tries to help people.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's pretty awesome!

Scientology would go down in a glorious blaze of fire were this to happen to them. Fuck, how I wish it would.

Tax exempt charities can be tax exempt even if only 5-10% of their donations actually go towards charitable spending.

I'd expect the same for these megachurches. Just spend a pittance and keep reaping that tax free monies.

rambis

Banned
Because the Catholics are so clean on money matters and only use it on helping the needy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gods-bankers-financial-scandals-at-the-vatican-2015-2

http://www.catholicvote.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/VAtican.gif[G]
[IMG]http://www.e.com/content/dam/slate/articles/business/moneybox/2013/03/130314_MB_POPEFRANCIS_2.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg[]
[IMG]http://spyhollywood.com/weekendedition/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Popemobileimg_2216.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Swing and a miss. Sorry.

But this
[quote=]only use it on helping the needy.
[/quote]
Is one of the most ridiculous strawmen I thibk I've read here so congrats on that.

Grew up Catholic, currently Agnostic.
Right now, Pope Francis is one of the few people I highly respect.
I'm glad he is moving the Catholic Church out of the medieval times.

Condom

Social-democratic pope might help Greece with it's fight against the orthodox church, although I'm not sure the orthodox church and/or it's believers care a bit about the catholic pope. I hope they do.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I feel like the Pope should just make up his own religion without the Catholic stigma attached to him.

antonz

Definitely shots at the Prosperity Gospel megachurches and all of that. I mean Olsteens megachurch in Texas got robbed one sunday. Just on church grounds the safe had over 600,000 dollars in it.

I mean they are bringing in on a single sunday what most catholic parishes will see over the course of several years.

Jonm1010

Banned
He certainly has his sticking points I hate but when standing back and looking at how far forward this pope is aiming to push the church, I have to stand in complete awe.

I mean lets be honest, who honestly thought the Catholic church would be advocating the sort of shit this pope is advocating in their lifetime? It isn't all ideal but god damn is it not a solid step forward in many areas!

Iph

Banned
I feel like the Pope should just make up his own religion without the Catholic stigma attached to him.

I feel like he's kind of already doing that somehow (not sure if intentional) while also trying to herd some of the more old-fashioned Catholics towards a healthier mindset too.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I feel like he's kind of already doing that somehow (not sure if intentional) while also trying to herd some of the more old-fashioned Catholics towards a healthier mindset too.

Well, it's bullshit you're allowed to change a religion on a whim like this.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Pops Frank has some views I definitely disagree with, as I'd expect with even the most progressive of popes, but goddamn he's got my respect.

Josh5890

As a Catholic I love everything that this pope is saying and doing. He is definitely making traditionalist sweat. I am strong in my faith and attend weekly but even I will admit some deep flaws within the church.

I just hope that the next pope takes up the same cross as Pope Francis has done and doesn't go back to the old ways. The church is on the right track (albeit very slowly) towards regaining credibility. I pray for the Pope to continue the good work every day.

antonz

Francis is not nearly as earth shaking as the media makes him out to be. In many cases he ends up repeating viewpoints Benedict espoused. Benedict though was a complete book nerd who lacked any sort of real charisma. He has made some changes that can be tied to his own philosophy but 8 times out of 10 its something Benedict or John Paul II were pushing during their times

Iph

Banned
Well, it's bullshit you're allowed to change a religion on a whim like this.

Are you referring to the Catholic religion, or, um, Pope Francis' attempt at taking the good that exists in the Catholic church/religious systems and updating it to reflect modern, global problems?

Francis is not nearly as earth shaking as the media makes him out to be. In many cases he ends up repeating viewpoints Benedict espoused. Benedict though was a complete book nerd who lacked any sort of real charisma. He has made some changes that can be tied to his own philosophy but 8 times out of 10 its something Benedict or John Paul II were pushing during their times

When it comes to such rigid, often archaic religious bodies such as this.. I don't feel the good progress made by past Popes being repeated by current Popes is a bad thing. Re-enforcing the good programming changes?

Iph

Banned
He's honestly not changing as much as you think.

Negative Nancys need not apply?

Even if he's laying the foundation to set the precedent for greater changes in the future, it is so much more of a good change than I see from a lot of modern bodies of "power".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom